Beware Of Lies On Ebay

SlytherinAlex

Please beware of sellers on Ebay who tell blatant lies in the auction ads. There are currently a number of ebay auctions for Luxembourg and Portugal geocoins that state that the coins are sold out. THEY ARE NOT. Coins are still available at face value from the gcCOINS website.

More worrying though is that one seller is claiming that the STANDARD silver coins that he is selling are LE coins. They are not. The LE versions of Luxembourg and Portugal are GOLD. They are not silver coins that this person is claiming to be LE coins.

Be careful out there boys and girls.

alex.

I recently saw the Sold Out Designation on some coins and it had me scratch my head for a few minutes. Then I realized that the intent is to say that the maker doesn't have any more for sale. Which can be hard to verify if there is no online storefront with them in stock.

I'd rather see sellers err on the side of caution than guess.

No surprise there, ours were just released by our website (Geocky.org) 2 weeks ago for $9.00/coin, and 3 days after the first shipment went out, they were listed for auction at $16.99, stating that they were "limited quantities" and "available through limited outlets". I suppose being sold through the group that minted it would be considered limited outlets, but since we've still got hundreds left, I don't know about the limited quantity part. The sad part is that they're selling for the 16.99 and still getting bids, while we're not selling enough to pay back the initial expense of getting them minted.

No surprise there, ours were just released by our website (Geocky.org) 2 weeks ago for $9.00/coin, and 3 days after the first shipment went out, they were listed for auction at $16.99, stating that they were "limited quantities" and "available through limited outlets". I suppose being sold through the group that minted it would be considered limited outlets, but since we've still got hundreds left, I don't know about the limited quantity part. The sad part is that they're selling for the 16.99 and still getting bids, while we're not selling enough to pay back the initial expense of getting them minted.

List some of yours on ebay with BIN prices to under cut them.

I'm trying to avoid having to sell mine on eBay at all, and so far, I've not been approached by an obvious dealer wanting large quantities, but that's possibly because I'm in pre-order at the moment.

Be cautious, some people will buy your coin and then post them on eBay before it is even in your hands to be put in theirs. I had posted on my coin sales that there was to be NO presales of my coins until they had them in their hands. Those people did wait patiently as asked, but you have to ask them to or they will. They do not necessarily buy really large numbers of coins.

I'm trying to avoid having to sell mine on eBay at all, and so far, I've not been approached by an obvious dealer wanting large quantities, but that's possibly because I'm in pre-order at the moment.

Be cautious, some people will buy your coin and then post them on eBay before it is even in your hands to be put in theirs. I had posted on my coin sales that there was to be NO presales of my coins until they had them in their hands. Those people did wait patiently as asked, but you have to ask them to or they will. They do not necessarily buy really large numbers of coins.

Yes, I've noticed that there's parrot coins on ebay already and I know you're still selling them. There's one that was just listed 3 hours ago, for example:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Parrot-Geocoin-Trackabl...1QQcmdZViewItem

So far, I've not seen any geoSquid coins on ebay, nor have I seen my GAGE8 coin that was in a muggled cache, so I suppose that's good :huh:

:blink: HI FOLKS!

Just wanted to give you another point of view.

As E-&^% sellers,here is our motivation.

We originally started this accidently.

We got a couple of extra coins in a shipment and decided to sell them on that site.

They did well enough,that we said,AH-HA!,a great way to pay for our own collection.

So far as making a huge profit,except for a few coins,we are lucky to get our coins,& trades paid for.

(After E-Fees,Pay buddy fees,final value fee,shipping,packing,trips to the post office,etc.)

Have a look at our profile,there are NO coins that we got,that we did not add to our collection.

(Many of you know that we trade some of these to add to our collection)

When it comes to how folks list their coins,there is NO EXCUSE for improper descriptions!(we did it once by accident)

Also, we NEVER Pre-list a coin if we know the owners wishes.

(Some folks don't mind if we sell ahead of time)

Have a GREAT day!!

R3 & BH

P.S. There are actually a couple of folks that use our sales as a barometer of their coins popularity!LOL!

Edited by Ryder3 & Better Half

We got a couple of extra coins in a shipment and decided to sell them on that site.

They did well enough,that we said,AH-HA!,a great way to pay for our own collection.

So far as making a huge profit,except for a few coins,we are lucky to get our coins,& trades paid for.

(After E-Fees,Pay buddy fees,final value fee,shipping,packing,trips to the post office,etc.)

Have a look at our profile,there are NO coins that we got,that we did not add to our collection.

When it comes to how folks list their coins,there is NO EXCUSE for improper descriptions!(we did it once by accident)

Have a GREAT day!!

R3 & BH

P.S. There are actually a couple of folks that use our sales as a barometer of their coins popularity!LOL!

Please don't hijack my thread. This is not about the right or wrongs of selling coins on ebay. This is about sellers who fraudulently mis-describe their coins are either LE coins or "Sold Out'" when they are not.

Alex.

List some of yours on ebay with BIN prices to under cut them.

I did just that whth my coins. After the first dutch auction of 15 coins sold out in a day, I listed another 15. Two days later, I listed another 15. In 4 days I sold 45 coins ....and it didn't dent the demand on ebay. Looking back, I'd have been *much* better off selling them at ebay market value.

What gets me is when a coin is listed with an incorrect name, I'm not referring to the metal type but the actual name of the coin as it is commonly listed on some sites. Talk about confusing people as to what they are bidding on!

:tired: HI FOLKS!

Have a GREAT day!!

R3 & BH

Please don't hijack my thread. This is not about the right or wrongs of selling coins on ebay. This is about sellers who fraudulently mis-describe their coins are either LE coins or "Sold Out'" when they are not.

Sorry! Did not mean to cause a prob!

Have a great day!

R3 :laughing:

Alex.

Have a GREAT day!!

R3 & BH

I agree!!! If person a buys 10 coins and decides to keep 2 for his collection and resells the rest. If they sell good then he/she may go back and order more and then resell those. So the way I see it they are actually helping the organization sell the coins that may not have sold otherwise. If they make a few bucks on top of it...isn't that the American way.

Alex.

I think you need to take a look at the seller perspective. If I am buying a coin from a storefront and they sell out, are those coins sold out? I believe they are even though other maybe be selling them somewhere else. So the source where the seller originally bought those coins are sold out, that is all the auctioneer is saying.

And is the seller is aware of the quanities no matter how small or large, there is still a limited number of coins minted.

GONIL recently minted a coin for Illinois (which by the way is one beautiful coin) and they are selling them at a particular price. They are only selling them at their events, even though they have seen their coin listed on those Auction sites for 2-3 times what they are selling them at. IMO I still think everyone wins. The original organization is getting their money and selling more coins and the auctioneer is getting a little coin for selling them.

Buyer beware. When you see a coin for auction (or anything for that matter), you need to determine what you are willing to pay and bid that amount -- do your research AWAY from the sellers description.

There are omissions of ignorance many times on eBay. (and information, that may or may not be correct!).

My suggestion is to ALWAYS do a Google search on any item you are bidding on. It may help you find the item for sale at a lower price (for example, coins that are still on sale). At the least, it will assist you in understanding the item from a perspective other than the sellers (which is biased to be sure, and potentially misleading).

If a coin is still on sale, but that sale is not publically accessible or hard to find -- then eBay may be the best "marketing" tool to get a seller and buyer together. So marking an item as "Sold Out" may be misleading, but for all intents and purposes may be true. For example, I have several dozens of some coins that I would sell or trade at an event, but they are otherwise unavailable -- hence, "sold out"

It is very interesting to see that coin prices have generally settled to about $10-$20 per coin when sold on the site. So after-market value is declining compared to the rush of October/November 2005. (I think the average back then was over $30!)

Personally, I think there are far too many folks creating false scarcity (well...actually, I guess it's real scarcity) by minting 50 of a coin, or 4 varieties etc, etc. Hopefully they will implode the market even more -- we are only about $5-$10 away from coins selling at $6-$8 -- which is more in-line with true minting costs.

I know of nobody that seeks every new issue in every variety as in the "olden" days of 8 months ago :blink:

Have a GREAT day!!

R3 & BH

I agree!!! If person a buys 10 coins and decides to keep 2 for his collection and resells the rest. If they sell good then he/she may go back and order more and then resell those. So the way I see it they are actually helping the organization sell the coins that may not have sold otherwise. If they make a few bucks on top of it...isn't that the American way.

YOU SIR have a great attitude!(Plus you nailed our situation ON THE HEAD!) :blink:

:rolleyes: HI FOLKS!

Have a GREAT day!!

R3 & BH

YOU SIR have a great attitude!(Plus you nailed our situation ON THE HEAD!) :)

As long as their description on their sale is accurate, there shouldn't be a problem. The issue of the OP is that some auction listings are misleading and some are not only inaccurate, but are outright lies.

If the seller is buying the coins from the original source, and while there are still plenty of stock on hand... then list their coins as "hard to find" and "Sold out", that would be a lie. Also, listing coins as "Limited Editions" for the coin that had the most number minted or continues to be in production, would also be a lie.

Case in point - Many of the Arizona Geocachers 2006 LE coins were listing them as the hardest to find. Actually, there is a turquoise Edition that was never available for sale, had a total minting of 50. The Silver Edition was 200 and the Copper edition was 800. While those coins were still available from the original source, I kept close eye on auctions to see how inacurate the auction descriptions got. The funniest one I saw was where they were listed as sold out, while the next listing on the search had 30+ coins on a "Buy It Now" sale from the orginal source. The auction was for like $15 and the set prices coins were around$ $8.

I didn't see a problem with people putting the coins up for sale, but I think they are obligated to make sure there is truth in their advertising. I sent messages to those with inaccurate discriptions. Some sellers were glad to receive the information and made adjustments to their descriptions. However there was one inparticular, that responded very rudely and informed me that the auction was under way and they had no plans make any changes and that I should just mind my own business.

I'm still out a tN Micro that I bought on ebay unactivated, that was infact activated. the seller who wont contact me personaly has had there friend tell me that they are sending me a replacment, but after all the hastle I went threw that hardly makes up for it.

beware of who you buy off, dont be scared to ask questions about the item.

Will I get banned for posting the ebay name of the seller so no one has this happen to them by the same person?

I'm still out a tN Micro that I bought on ebay unactivated, that was infact activated. the seller who wont contact me personaly has had there friend tell me that they are sending me a replacment, but after all the hastle I went threw that hardly makes up for it.

Will I get banned for posting the ebay name of the seller so no one has this happen to them by the same person?

Dude let it go. It's over and you've gotten two coins + out of the deal.

Stop hijacking every thread.

Dude let it go. It's over and you've gotten two coins + out of the deal.

Stop hijacking every thread.

I have to agree with kealia here, plus get a spell checker or something :)

:) HI FOLKS!

Have a GREAT day!!

R3 & BH

YOU SIR have a great attitude!(Plus you nailed our situation ON THE HEAD!) :rolleyes:

As long as their description on their sale is accurate, there shouldn't be a problem. The issue of the OP is that some auction listings are misleading and some are not only inaccurate, but are outright lies.

If the seller is buying the coins from the original source, and while there are still plenty of stock on hand... then list their coins as "hard to find" and "Sold out", that would be a lie. Also, listing coins as "Limited Editions" for the coin that had the most number minted or continues to be in production, would also be a lie.

Case in point - Many of the Arizona Geocachers 2006 LE coins were listing them as the hardest to find. Actually, there is a turquoise Edition that was never available for sale, had a total minting of 50. The Silver Edition was 200 and the Copper edition was 800. While those coins were still available from the original source, I kept close eye on auctions to see how inacurate the auction descriptions got. The funniest one I saw was where they were listed as sold out, while the next listing on the search had 30+ coins on a "Buy It Now" sale from the orginal source. The auction was for like $15 and the set prices coins were around$ $8.

I didn't see a problem with people putting the coins up for sale, but I think they are obligated to make sure there is truth in their advertising. I sent messages to those with inaccurate discriptions. Some sellers were glad to receive the information and made adjustments to their descriptions. However there was one inparticular, that responded very rudely and informed me that the auction was under way and they had no plans make any changes and that I should just mind my own business.

WE were not the rude ones!LOL!

Not to sound redundant, but SOMEONE needs to be a little more productive with his/her time and energy... :)

eBay does have it's share of scam artists and most of the time, you can tell that the sale is a scam from the get go. Some you don't know about until after the exchange of money.

ADVICE: Check the feedback! If you feel that a seller has lied, check the ENTIRE feedback history to read ALL of the negative comments. Chances are that if they simply made an error, their feedback will indicate that (that's what it's for!).

<snip>Blah, blah, blah<snip>

One can only hope so. You have been given advice by more than one person in the forums to drop it and let it go. You have gotten MORE than you paid for on an accident by another cacher. You obviously don't get it and are trying to make this even larger when all you are doing is succeeding in making yourself look like a complete idiot. The seller's credibility isn't the one suffering damage here, yours is. You have had a Mod tell you to drop it here, but still havn't choosen to listen to Eartha. You are hijacking other threads to complain about something that virtually everyone has told you to get shut up about. They have all tried to say it nicely, but you don't listen. Psst...If you don't get a grip and drop it, someone will gladly silence you for violating the guidelines. Have a nice day.

Story:

There once was this guy that used to go into a store. Everyday he would complain that there was a funny smell in the store. The store cleaned-up, took out the trash -- did everything to try and make it right for this guy.

Finally, they had to ask "Does the smell follow you around?"

You are too quick to complain and too slow to stop complaining.

I, for one, am not interested in your eBay coin story anymore.

Story:

There once was this guy that used to go into a store. Everyday he would complain that there was a funny smell in the store. The store cleaned-up, took out the trash -- did everything to try and make it right for this guy.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:<_<:)

Story:

BRAVO!

At least your not waiting for a Wyoming coin. Your little sob story pales in compairison to the crap they've gone through. and their story has been going on for a heck of a lot longer than the few days you were inconvenienced. You bought your coin from an auction and it's a roll of the dice, as to how good a deal it will turn out to be. Also, you coin was a real coin an not a couple of photographs cut out and taped to a washer and stuck in an air-tite container. The fact that you have two coins for your trouble, I'd be thanking everyone for such quick responses and quick actions towards customer satisfaction. The fact that someone else stepped in to help out means that the geocoin community is trying to help out a fellow collector and cacher, when problems arise.

All of your complaining has probably put you on some "Never Trade With" lists... so good luck growing your collection through trades.

I really wonder if there are any really bad traders out there. With well over 600+ packages going out and some 400+ coming in I haven't had any bad experiences. Yes there have been mistakes but all have been cleared up.

I even received an activated coin last week. But one quick email and a very little wait the person who sent me the coin told me they sent the wrong one. It happens. So I quickly package it up and send it back. I know I will get the right one.

I truly believe most of the problems are caused by those receiving the coins expecting too much too fast. In most cases if we use a little patience the coins will arrive and problems will be corrected.

Yes I agree the Wyoming coin was a disaster and could have been handled better. But also I do not think all the threats and accusations being made, made the situation any better.

That being said.. CavScout hurry and get back to the States safely and send me those 2 coins you owe me. I think waiting 8 months is long enough. :huh:

That last comment was said in fun. I knew he would not be able to send me the coins until August. This was done with full acknowledgement. And yes I also I will eventually receive the coins.

Team Sand Dollar