This One Time, At Deer Camp...

What's the worst thing to happen to you on a cache hunt?

Mine has to be today...I left my bags at a bus stop, locked shut, and went on a cache hunt during a four hour layover. When I got back, my bags were gone. My clothes, sentimental things, almost all of it. Luckily my cameras, GPSr, SWAG, etc., were with me, and thus NOT stolen. But still, that sucks hardcore.

Mine has to be today...I left my bags at a bus stop, locked shut, and went on a cache hunt during a four hour layover. When I got back, my bags were gone. My clothes, sentimental things, almost all of it. Luckily my cameras, GPSr, SWAG, etc., were with me, and thus NOT stolen. But still, that sucks hardcore.

You left your stuff at a bus stop for 4 hours? :)

Excuse my coldness, but where exactly did you think you could leave your bags unattended at a bus stop and not have a problem? How long were you gone?

My own story of theft happened when I took a new geocacher on her first hunt. We parked on the side of the road and walked the 50 yards or so to the cache area. Her car was in sight of us the entire time and we were away from it for maybe ten minutes. When we got back, she noticed that her briefcase had been taken from the back seat.

Fortunately, there was nothing of real value or importance in the case... but it did inconvenience her for a short while.

Jamie

You might want to check at the bus stop to see if the bags were impounded or disposed of. If you'd have done that at an airport the probably would have called the bomb squad.

You might want to check at the bus stop to see if the bags were impounded or disposed of. If you'd have done that at an airport the probably would have called the bomb squad.

How true that is

The 11th commandment - thou shalt not leave thy bags uanttended.

Sorry for your loss; but you asked for it.

I'll agree it sucks that your stuff went missing; I would also recommend checking the bus station security as well as local police, bags left unnattended for that long these days are very suspicious. And on that note, I have to ask as well--what on earth possessed you to leave your bags at a bus stop for 4 hours???? And you were surprised when you got back and they were gone???? You're kidding, right? Heck, the one time I've spent any amount of time at a bus stop (waiting for my then-girlfriend to get in on a 12:30 route, downtown des moines, iowa) I spent the entire time on a near-constant rotation checking to make sure my wallet, watch, keys, and cellphone were still on my person. I'm not sure I would even allow my luggage to leave my hands, let alone my sight.

Hope you find your stuff, and better luck (and think about it more) next time.

As a southern Michigan resident , my condolences over your loss. Here in Detroit, your bags could easily be stolen whle you're standing next to them, either at a bus stop or even the Metro Airport.

An unfortunate incident but leaving anything unattended in a large urban center like Grand Rapids, Michigan is inviting disaster. In this day and age, I doubt that your bags would have been safe sitting on a street corner in Ispheming. I've had my campsite ransacked twice over the years while camping in the Upper Peninsula at a state forest campground and a national forest campground. Neither time was it the racoons or bears. They have little use for stoves, lanterns and radios.

Since you were only a few blocks from the bus station, you should have considered using one of the coin lockers that are usually available at most transportation centers.

Edited by Scook

How true that is

They said they left them locked up. It sounds like it means inside a locker.

Airports don't use lockers anymore to prevent the bomb issue.

How true that is

"locked shut" sounds to me like the OP physically locked the BAGS shut, not locked the bags shut in a locker.

Excuse my coldness, but where exactly did you think you could leave your bags unattended at a bus stop and not have a problem? How long were you gone?

My own story of theft happened when I took a new geocacher on her first hunt. We parked on the side of the road and walked the 50 yards or so to the cache area. Her car was in sight of us the entire time and we were away from it for maybe ten minutes. When we got back, she noticed that her briefcase had been taken from the back seat.

Fortunately, there was nothing of real value or importance in the case... but it did inconvenience her for a short while.

Jamie

I was gone for maybe two hours, but I guess I figured that if the bags were locked closed, people wouldn't try...and for some reasonI had an unusual amount of trust in humanity...Not a mistake I'll make again, obviously.

I tried, they said "shouldn't have done that," and closed the door on me. Jerks.

How true that is

"locked shut" sounds to me like the OP physically locked the BAGS shut, not locked the bags shut in a locker.

Right. The zips have Holes on them for a padlock..

I'll agree it sucks that your stuff went missing; I would also recommend checking the bus station security as well as local police, bags left unnattended for that long these days are very suspicious. And on that note, I have to ask as well--what on earth possessed you to leave your bags at a bus stop for 4 hours???? And you were surprised when you got back and they were gone???? You're kidding, right? Heck, the one time I've spent any amount of time at a bus stop (waiting for my then-girlfriend to get in on a 12:30 route, downtown des moines, iowa) I spent the entire time on a near-constant rotation checking to make sure my wallet, watch, keys, and cellphone were still on my person. I'm not sure I would even allow my luggage to leave my hands, let alone my sight.

Hope you find your stuff, and better luck (and think about it more) next time.

I just got too trusting...I've never had a problem with greyhounders, and I've ridden over 10 times. I just got too comfortable is all.

As a southern Michigan resident , my condolences over your loss. Here in Detroit, your bags could easily be stolen whle you're standing next to them, either at a bus stop or even the Metro Airport.

An unfortunate incident but leaving anything unattended in a large urban center like Grand Rapids, Michigan is inviting disaster. In this day and age, I doubt that your bags would have been safe sitting on a street corner in Ispheming. I've had my campsite ransacked twice over the years while camping in the Upper Peninsula at a state forest campground and a national forest campground. Neither time was it the racoons or bears. They have little use for stoves, lanterns and radios.

Since you were only a few blocks from the bus station, you should have considered using one of the coin lockers that are usually available at most transportation centers.

Nay, there are actually *no* lockers there, and no place to stash them behind a desk or anything where someone can watch them. I've stashed stuff in Ishy before, hidden in ditches and whatnot when I had to run an errand...but even though its my fault, that doesn't make it suck any less, y'know?

....Right. The zips have Holes on them for a padlock..

Well, that blows my theory out the door. Zipper locks are only good for keeping honest baggage handlers honest. If I wanted your bag I'd just toss it in the truck and cut it open at my leisure.

At least you did have some of your gear on you.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Here's a tip that I've used while hiking or geocaching in a wooded area, but I would NEVER recommend in an urban environment of any kind, no matter how well it was hidden:

Securely hide the stuff you don't want to carry under a bush and mark the location with your GPSr. Then retrieve it when you return. Hopefully you don't lose all GPSr battery power. Think of it as your own personal short-term geocache!

medoug.