Camping/caching

jdehority

I have a group of a few friends and we are starting to get into geocaching more and more each day. We would like some advise on a decent place to camp and cache at the same time. A primitive site would be perfect but the most important factor is going to be a place to camp, hike and hit a few good caches on the way. Can anyone help out with some suggestions and areas? Thanks!

I am partial to Morgan Monroe State Forest

Just South of Indianapolis on SR 37 between Martinsville and Bloomington:

Morgan Monroe State Forest - Rock Shelter Trail #1

Search from this cache and you should find another 20+ caches in this area, all within hiking distance of the primitive campground. All all are ammo cans and very well maintained. Would make an excellent camp/hike weekend.

The Rock Shelter Trail has 8-9 caches on that trail.

Mason Ridge Trail area has 6-7 caches available from that trail.

Three Lakes Trail has 2-3 on the first section of trail/eventually I plan to make all 10 miles of the THree Lake Trail into a "geo-hike", like Rock Shelter.

If primitive camping is full you can camp ANYWHERE in the backcountry area, just register at the office. From the BC area you can hike into the Rock Shelter Trail by coming up the Tecumseh Trail. The Rock Shelter, Low Gap and Mason Ridge Trails make up the first part of the Tecumseh.

Hope this helps!

Red Hills SP is a very nice park with LOTS of caches in the area. I They have primitive camping and a great place to eat in the park called the Trace Inn. There's a few different intermediate hiking trails and is located along US Rt50.

http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/landmgt/PARKS...HLS.HTM#Camping

You can also check out Forbes SP in Illinois. It's a little out of the way and only has about 10 or 12 caches nearby but it's a great park for the family. It includes some great fishing, primitive camping and a small beach.

http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/landmgt/PARKS/R5/STEPHEN.HTM

Plenty of great places in the area. Keep in mind though, this time of year, the foilage is thick and gps signals are weak. It is near impossible to find a cache in the woods right now. If you have a magellan GPS, this might be less of a problem. In a couple of months, signals will impove, as there will be less moisture and growth.

Plenty of great places in the area. Keep in mind though, this time of year, the foilage is thick and gps signals are weak. It is near impossible to find a cache in the woods right now. If you have a magellan GPS, this might be less of a problem. In a couple of months, signals will impove, as there will be less moisture and growth.

MAGS RULE!!!

MAGS RULE!!!

LONG LIVE GARMIN!!!!!!!! :lol:

If you want to travel down to Southern Indiana center a query on GCGDX1. This will give you a mess of caches in the Harrison-Crawford Forest. Center your query around GCQTJN and get a bunch of caches in the Clark State Forest. Both of these area have hiking caches and quickies with campgrounds and trail camping.

Deermark

If you want to travel down to Southern Indiana center a query on GCGDX1. This will give you a mess of caches in the Harrison-Crawford Forest. Center your query around GCQTJN and get a bunch of caches in the Clark State Forest. Both of these area have hiking caches and quickies with campgrounds and trail camping.

Deermark

Um, Deermark, quickies?? (no, I'm NOT implying that you dirty-minded folks!!) Sorry, but after your descriptions of some of the hikes I've gone along on, I wonder what constitutes a quick and easy cache... one with just a 3 mile round trip and not much more than 1000 feet of elevation changes? (just kidding!) :o:D

For those not along on Trailmix 2 - our "one big hill and then it's not too bad" for 3-5 miles round trip (at Clark State Forest) was a 7 miles, one direction, gruelling trek over many hours. While I think Deermark may have underestimated the difficulty a bit <_< - it was well worth the trip.