Google Maps Link Doesn't Mark Location

Peanut Butters

I believe as of yesterday or the day before if you clicked on the Google Maps link on a Cache or Benchmark it would take you to Google Maps with the point centered and it marked. It no longer is marked, but just centered on that point.

I believe this has nothing to do with the Geocaching.com web site, but more of a Google Maps issue where they changed the behavior of how this works over the last few days.

Anyone have any details? I looked around the Google Maps API Discussion form but couldn't find anything about this change.

I looked around the Google Maps API Discussion form but couldn't find anything about this change.

You're right that it's a Google issue, not GC. I'm not surprised that the API forum hasn't discussed it, because maps created by the APIs just do what the programmers have made them do. Any center point push-pin that's on an API driven map is there because the programmer explicitly put it there.

It does look like they changed the behavior. Since we're just linking off to Google in this case there isn't a whole lot we can do on our end. Just use the Geocaching Google map link which will still center the location for you and provide caches in a better way anyway.

"Geocaching.com Google Map"

I'll be watching the API Group for a fix for this, but if this is a permenent change it would be nice if the link took you to the currently Beta Google Maps version of the GC site and center on the cache you clicked on.

Don't want you to make a knee-jerk reaction on this, but I'm hoping Google either puts this back, or gives us another parameter to pass to get this working the way it did.

It doesn't appear to be a matter of the link from the cache page. If you just go directly to http://maps.google.com and type a lat/long into the search box, you get the same result.

Interestingly enough, if you search for an ADDRESS, it works fine.

I found out that Google released an update last week which introduced this bug. It will be fixed when they roll out the next version. It has nothing to do with the GC web site, so it affects everyone that does a query for latitude/longitude.