Geocaching.com Is Down For Maintenance

DanPan

Similar questions here: when can we expect the server to be up and running again? We deperately need to print out some descriptions!

And: couldn't planned maintenace (during the day!) be announced some days in advance so that at least the PMs could download the urgently needed data?!

TIA for quick repair.

BalkanSabranje

couldn't planned maintenance (during the day!) be announced ...
Here in Groundspeak's time zone, it's 2:00 in the morning.

Well, the site is already down for quite some time (now at least 4,5 hours). By now there should be at least a statement about what is going on. Usually, technical services are monitored around the clock, and staff is notified by email/sms/pager as soon as a problem occurs. So the reaction time is very low! This is even more important if you provide a service around the clock. Geocaching is played worldwide after all.

This is even more important if you provide a service around the clock. Geocaching is played worldwide after all.

Thank you for making that point more politely than I felt able to manage. I'm just bitter, but my mother and I planned this day out all week and re arranged our schedules so we could both have the whole day off together. :laughing:

Similar questions here: when can we expect the server to be up and running again? We deperately need to print out some descriptions!

Ditto here in GMT zone...a whole days caching is going down the swanny :laughing:

Don't let the geocaching server outage ruin your day!

If you are a member, you can get GPX files emailed to you weekly or even more often. From that data, you can print off any cache page you want without being connected to geocaching.com. I for example have weekly queries sent to me showing the nearest 500 geocaches that I have not found. Geocaching could be down for a year and I would still have geocaches to find. You can use either GSAK or the Watcher, a GPX utility to view or print out geocaches from the GPX file generated from the query..

Even if your query results were from last week, you would still be able to review caches that existed up until that point in time.

This is even more important if you provide a service around the clock. Geocaching is played worldwide after all.

Thank you for making that point more politely than I felt able to manage. I'm just bitter, but my mother and I planned this day out all week and re arranged our schedules so we could both have the whole day off together. :laughing:

That's too bad that your day was messed up by this! :laughing:

I always like to do pq's or planning a couple days in advance, so something like this doesn't ruin a caching day/weekend. Then I have a safety net. :laughing:

Also noticed here in Melbourne Australia, I found a few caches today while I was meant to be at a conference - came home 4pm to log but the site was down - it is now 8:45pm still down...... Hey no one tell my boss I was off caching in stead of listening to a lecture....... :laughing:

It's back but not working very well! I can link to caches but getting errors and no info.....looks like soemthing serious has gone wrong :laughing:

I think the entire cache database has disappeared. They're rummaging through the woods for the tape backups, hidden in GCNXPQ :laughing: :laughing:

If you are a member, you can get GPX files emailed to you weekly or even more often. From that data, you can print off any cache page you want without being connected to geocaching.com. I for example have weekly queries sent to me showing the nearest 500 geocaches that I have not found. Geocaching could be down for a year and I would still have geocaches to find. You can use either GSAK or the Watcher, a GPX utility to view or print out geocaches from the GPX file generated from the query..

Even if your query results were from last week, you would still be able to review caches that existed up until that point in time.

The GPX files are very useful indeed, but don't you like to log your visits, grabbed TB's, coins etc.?

The GPX files are very useful indeed, but don't you like to log your visits, grabbed TB's, coins etc.?

Sure, but it's not necessary to geocache. At least with an off line database you can still geocache.

The maintenance issue might be related to this.

Edited by CoyoteRed

Site is up, sort of. Anytime I go to look at a cache listing, I get:

An Error Has Occured

Invalid column name 'RefName'.

I get the same - I can only surmise that the techs are too busy trying to fix to come make any comment.

Invalid column name 'RefName'.

Please tell us what it means (in human not Technical Jargon B)B) )

:laughing::rolleyes::laughing::laughing::laughing:B):o

Its Broken

I thought something was funny last night about 7:00 PM Groundspeak time when I opened a couple of pages on cacher profiles and below their cache finds list was displayed the programing paths and links etc. It was wierd and I thought 'Oh-oh this can't be good........' :lol:

Ditto here in GMT zone...a whole days caching is going down the swanny :D

That's all very well...and yes I have last weeks PQs on *my* PC, on GSAK, so assuming I was working from *my* pc all would be fine...but *my* PC is in Ireland where I live...and currently I am visiting my mother in England. Do you see my predicament now? :D

Glad its up and running again now, but its too late for us, and we don't have any more free days before I return to Ireland. Never mind :ninja:

Edited by JRM-IRL

I still just get the geocaching.com is down for maintenance message with the sick looking signal. I have cleared caches, etc. Tried two ISPs. Rebooted. Nothing Helps.

bobchernow

Is it just me now!

I had the same problem this evening. I had an entry in my hosts file for gc.com pointing to 66.150.167.149. That gave the maintenance page. After removing the entry from the hosts file, everything is working fine again. Maybe that helps for you too?