Moun10bike V3

zygote2k

You might offer to trade it for a new GPS

That is an excellent solution. Maybe the OP can mention what type of GPS he is looking for. I only have a Yellow Etrex and a Geko 301 that aren't being used.

--Marky

As far a selling a Moun10bike coin goes, most of us who are into coins are aware that he prefers his coins not be sold. It is important to note that only recenty have his cautions against this shown up on individual coin pages. My coin's (#608) page has no such warning, but does contain a link to a page that has that warning. More recently released coins (#638 for example) have that warning right on the TB page.

Before all of the negative comments start up I might mention selling Moun10Bike coins is frowned upon as he asked that none be sold. You might offer to trade it for a new GPS

There's really no effective difference between the two.

If you follow the links that is on your moun10bike coin, you'll see that Jon posted: "I am having any of my geocoins that are sold on eBay or elsewhere locked by Groundspeak." I would try to stick with trades. I think you should be able to trade for what you want. :laughing:

--Marky

If you follow the links that is on your moun10bike coin, you'll see that Jon posted: "I am having any of my geocoins that are sold on eBay or elsewhere locked by Groundspeak." I would try to stick with trades. I think you should be able to trade for what you want. :laughing:

--Marky

Early coins didn't have the no selling provision when they came into the poessesion of whoever has them. Thus there is no binding contract regarding sales. You can't impose the rule after the fact. Newer ones do have the contract. I'm not sure one way or the other on this coin.

Moun10bike has always controlled the tracking on all his coins and can shut it off at any time as he see's fit whether or not the coin is sold.

Trading for a GPS is an interesting idea.

My etrex Vista broke last Saturday and I am buying the GPS Map60 CSx. There is nothing on my coin that says it cannot be sold. I've sold one before and never received any negative comments about selling it. I figured that I'd give the caching community the chance to buy it before I put it up for open auction. I see no difference in selling a Moun10Bike coin or a Team Skirtlifter coin. They are both trackable and collectible. What's the big deal if I need to sell it?

My etrex Vista broke last Saturday and I am buying the GPS Map60 CSx. There is nothing on my coin that says it cannot be sold. I've sold one before and never received any negative comments about selling it. I figured that I'd give the caching community the chance to buy it before I put it up for open auction. I see no difference in selling a Moun10Bike coin or a Team Skirtlifter coin. They are both trackable and collectible. What's the big deal if I need to sell it?

That's the problem see... if you look at the owner of the coin... it's not you. It's Moun10Bike.

Directly from the link from Moun10Bike's 614 coin page which takes you to the RULES of TRADE for his coins:

Moun10Bike Geocoins have never been and never will be for sale*. However, I do trade for other personal coins provided that those coins are not sold in any form (such as a different metal, etc.).

For more information on geocoins, please see the March, 2004 issue of Today's Cacher.

* eBay sales by those who have come to hold my coins are, unfortunately, becoming more and more frequent. To see what my stance on this is, please read this post in the Groundspeak Forums.

FYI - Anyone can prove to eBay that it is NOT your coin...

Edited by Mandollyn

How about instead of everyone yelling at me about selling this coin- why don't you offer some help in my getting a new GPS? It doesn't say I can't sell it on ebay, just that the coin could be locked out of tracking by Groundspeak. Really if it comes down to it, a lawyer would say that the statement about doing as you wish with the coin means that you could sell it. I've asked Moun10Bike for his blessing about this coin before I sell it on auction. I don't have any other coins that could help me out this way either.

How about instead of everyone yelling at me about selling this coin- why don't you offer some help in my getting a new GPS? It doesn't say I can't sell it on ebay, just that the coin could be locked out of tracking by Groundspeak. Really if it comes down to it, a lawyer would say that the statement about doing as you wish with the coin means that you could sell it. I've asked Moun10Bike for his blessing about this coin before I sell it on auction. I don't have any other coins that could help me out this way either.

Didn't know you've contacted Moun10Bike, has he responded? :laughing:

Sounds like some people have control issues and some are just plain jealous that their coins would never fetch the prices that a Moun10Bike coin will. As far as Mr. Moun10Bike is concerned, maybe he should change his coin page stating that his coins cannot be sold or someone might want to bring a lawsuit against him for interfering with the selling of collectibles on the open market. It's really too bad that by posting this on the forums, I've seen many "cachers" true colors and their lack of common sense regarding this. I will post this coin on auction and there really is nothing that says I can't sell it, just that the tracking will get locked. Maybe this will drive the value up even further. Besides it's not as if I got this coin from a cache. I traded other coins for it that I paid money for. So maybe trading the Moun10Bike coin should be banned too. I can trade any other coins out there and sell them too. Wait- you can't sell the Moun10Bike coin? Doesn't anyone see the hypocrisy in this? If you don't want them to be sold, you should not have made them collectible. Moun10Bike says that he will trade his coins for other personal coins, but how am I supposed to get one he wants without using money? This is just plain ridiculous.

... Moun10Bike says that he will trade his coins for other personal coins, but how am I supposed to get one he wants without using money? ...

Well, let me think... maybe he doesn't want someone elses coin from YOU, maybe, just maybe, he feels this way:

"...I think it is pretty clear from my wording on the coin descriptions as well as elsewhere in the forums that I do not approve of the sale of my or any other activated coins (unless such sales are blessed by the coin owner). Oh, and if there is any question as to who is the owner of one of my coins, please see the name next to the "Owner:" heading near the top of the coin page.

And as far as being jealous... Ummm, HELLO?!?!? MY coin was produced to sell @ $7.50 - $8 each! I could care less if someone else gets $100 or $1000 for it! As long as I sell enough at $7.50 - $8 to cover the cost of minting, I'm happy! (and YES, I have sold enough to do just that!)

But if you think about it.... you are basically saleing something you have permission to hold/use.

Here's an example that might make sense.

You borrow your neighbors "mountain bike"... he knows you have it. You know he's the owner. He said you can use it or give it away or give it back. Not sale it. So if you sale it, you are saleing someone else's property. It's not abandoned since he knows you have it and you know you have it... and he can track where it is. So at no point is that "mountain bike" yours to sale.

Just my $0.02

:laughing:

Who is listed as the owner of the coin? If it's moun10bike, you can't sell it, it belongs to him. You're simply a carrier of it. If this question is clarified, it will help this discussion or it may even end the subject. That being said, I'd like to own a moun10bike coin, but I'm not going about it this way to get it.

SELF MODERATED...... I'm sorry you broke your GPS, I've been there done that, but sellingn someone else's property is no way to replace it.

That being said, I'll shut up.

Edited by The Blind Acorn

Let me make something clear. This coin is in my possession and I have legal right of ownership over it. I can and will do anything I want with it. I used money to acquire this coin. I can sell it on ebay or anywhere else that I see fit. The statement on this coins' webpage gives me the right to do so. If I choose to put it up for auction and someone causes problems with the listing of this coin, I can seek legal counsel to file charges against said person. I simply asked the forums about this to see if anyone was interested in helping out. I guess not. It will be up for auction soon.

I fail to see what the problem is. Moun10bike set his coins free and basically he gave up ownership of them. Regardless of what he says on his website or whatever, he has no legal right to ban any sale of them. Now, if he put his coin out with the expreessed purpose of retrieving it, fine...it's his still. However, by his leaving the coin out for anyone to find any claim of ownership is null. Many posts here say he "prefers" that his coins are not sold. "Prefers" holds no legal weight, and I highly doubt there are any laws out there that defends his position. Sell that bad boy if you like, zygote2k. It's sad that you people get your panties in a wad over a silly little coin. Economics and capitalism rule. If this person can get a decent amount of money for it, so be it.

Edited by Arthur & Trillian

I am locking this down. See the pinned guidelines regarding permissible use of this forum.

If the OP provides evidence of the coin owner's consent to this sale, I or one of the other moderators will be happy to open the thread again.

To the OP: do not open another thread about this.