Feature Concept - The Social Find

Jeremy

Yeah, glad you're listening to your users. I see you're not working on your customer service skills.

Don't be sore. I'm listening to you. I just don't agree with you.

So, you don't agree folks should have options? You don't agree folks should be able to meet someone without that other person being able to track your movements?

I guess it's along the same lines as find counts. If you don't want to be visible, don't participate.

I don't understand how the new feature will increase your loss of privacy.

I can click on your name at any time, and go through your history right now. I can see all the logs you have visited, watch your logs for any coins you leave, and follow your trail.

This new feature will not increase that ability in any way.

2. Your own personal icon (separate from the avatar images) other than a generic signal frog avatar

??

I paid good money for my personal Geocoin Icon and now were given them away cheaper? :)

I quess it's a good idea for Geocaching.com as a whole, but feeling a little short handed.

2. Your own personal icon (separate from the avatar images) other than a generic signal frog avatar

??

I paid good money for my personal Geocoin Icon and now were given them away cheaper? :)

I quess it's a good idea for Geocaching.com as a whole, but feeling a little short handed.

I'm sure personal coins will have their own particular prestige. However this may reduce the number of event trades where people trade 1,000 different geocoin tracking numbers, so I can see your point.

Whew! I just finished reading the entire thread and wanted to throw my thoughts into the mix.

Rolling this out to all members is a good idea, but with only basic functions provided to non PMs - like just the ability to participate, be able to log an "I met", and (optionally) post coordinates of where they met, and being able to click on one of the account names and go straight to their profile (something that's sorely missing now, as a matter of fact). Anything more would require a paid membership.

Starting with PMs first is a nice way to not only test the way it works, but to give the paying/supporting members of the site is a nice perk, even if temporary. To continue it being a perk, maybe some of the following capabilities could be available through the "I met" for PMs:

1. grouping "mets" in user-defined categories (friends, aquaintances, attractive, annoying, etc) - this would only be visible to the PM account holder

2. ability to add a note to each "met" on their list - this has a multitude of uses, like where they met, a quote, a funny exchange, etc. This note could also be marked as private (by default) so it doesn't display next to the "met" item unless they want it to.

3. able to add a picture(s) to the "I met" log (members are helping to pay for storage and bandwidth, right?)

4. PMs can upload a custom "avatar" image, in addition to or in place of the default avatar

How about start by making this optional for members to turn on in order to participate. Then only participating members are able to log other participating members. This would be done in an easily identified manner (a button/link on the member's profile that says something like "I met you"). The member would get an email "I met" notification when that was clicked. If they agree that they met, then they approve it.

The worry about people not checking this often enough for it to flow won't be so much of an issue, since it'd only be open to participating members. If you participate, chances are that you'll keep up with this more often. If the "I met" isn't approved, maybe allow the requesting member to still have it show up in their personal account some place, but just not in their "I met" count - that way they can at least keep track of those they meet - this might also be an option if you want to keep track of members met, but aren't participating in the "I met" Social Find structure. Those not participating would have a different icon to identify them as such.

Sure some people will act like they do on MySpace and just accept anybody that sends them a request - that can't be stopped. But if I had a great conversation with some geocachers and then became so wrapped up in the talk that I forgot to ask them for their "codeword", I'd be frustrated to have to email them about it - and then inconvenience them to provide it to me again.

The idea of a "code word" seems a bit strange to me - not evrybuddy can speel rite, which seems like a lot of room for error and frustration. Having folks do something "goofy" to garner the honor of meeting them seems a bit much, if you ask me. Keeping it simple (at least at first) makes more sense.

Privacy isn't so much of a point, since if you're already posting your finds and events online, there's nothing stopping a determined person from digging around looking to follow your trail. This is a very public place, after all.

I like the idea of this being a new feature.

Edited by BuzzKill
Privacy isn't so much of a point, since if you're already posting your finds and events online, there's nothing stopping a determined person from digging around looking to follow your trail. This is a very public place, after all.

The ability to hide stats has been requested. Either you participate publicly or you don't participate at all.

The ability to hide stats has been requested. Either you participate publicly or you don't participate at all.

I don't see this as a problem. If you post on the Internet, it's likely to be seen. If you don't want it to be seen, then don't post on the Internet.

Even if you hide stats, if you log online, then a determined person can still track you by going the long route and reading cache descriptions. If you don't want either to be displayed, then what's the point of logging online at all?

It seems to make more sense to just inform people up front that their stats will appear online if they log them. Those that want more privacy can just use the site anonymously.

I don't see this as a problem. If you post on the Internet, it's likely to be seen. If you don't want it to be seen, then don't post on the Internet.

Even if you hide stats, if you log online, then a determined person can still track you by going the long route and reading cache descriptions. If you don't want either to be displayed, then what's the point of logging online at all?

It seems to make more sense to just inform people up front that their stats will appear online if they log them. Those that want more privacy can just use the site anonymously.

While you could use the site and not log anything, some folks want the feedback. Some folks demand it. In an ideal scenario, one would be able to click a check box to make a log private. Only you as the logger, the cache owner, and site admin would be able to view the log. The feedback gets made, the log is housed along with the cache, and the logger's privacy is maintained.

... It seems to make more sense to just inform people up front that their stats will appear online if they log them. Those that want more privacy can just use the site anonymously.

While you could use the site and not log anything, some folks want the feedback. Some folks demand it. In an ideal scenario, one would be able to click a check box to make a log private. Only you as the logger, the cache owner, and site admin would be able to view the log. The feedback gets made, the log is housed along with the cache, and the logger's privacy is maintained.

CR, apparently you missed his point on the first read through. In fact, you missed it so much that you responded to your previous post, instead of BuzzKill's. I bolded it for you to make it easier.

You see, a person doesn't have to bumble about causing a stir and then wonder about his/her privacy. Instead, if one is concerned about privacy issues, he/she can create an account and keep private about who they are. No one is going to stalk GenericCacher794.

You might note that many people don't use their own names online and don't post pics of themselves.

Edited by sbell111

Seems like a lot of resources would need to be applied to what doesn't seem to be a very large demand. Choices have to be made and they aren't exactly in either of our hands.

But we're way off topic here, so maybe take this to private messages so it doesn't clutter up the original discussion, yes? :)

Yeah, glad you're listening to your users. I see you're not working on your customer service skills.

Don't be sore. I'm listening to you. I just don't agree with you.

So, you don't agree folks should have options? You don't agree folks should be able to meet someone without that other person being able to track your movements?

I guess it's along the same lines as find counts. If you don't want to be visible, don't participate.

And then there's the option of avoiding someone you really have no desire to meet. :)

additional features for PM's:

ability to upload pictures/links attached to the meeting

personal icon/picture including those of NPM's - NPM's only get the generic icon/name on their profile (a square that says upgrade to PM to have the picture instead of this black square)

unlimited numbers of cachers met (NPM's could log say up to up to 10 cachers)

a link directly to the met persons profile - disabled for NPM's (or it takes them to the upgrade to PM page)

anythig else that would increase the desire of a NPM to upgrade to PM to get the "extras"

I skipped a page or two but I've been thinking about this some more. It would look nice to see "cachers met" on the same page as the trackables page and you would have a generic person icon same as a standard TB, you could click on the icon and for PM's it would take you to the persons page where the listing is of all the cachers they met with their personal pictures. If a NPM would click on the generic person icon it would take them to the upgrade to PM page or just a page that tells them to upgrade to PM to view the page.

I would also lower the number of cachers met from 10 to 5 for NPM's.

I like this idea.

One thing I think would be neat, if possible:

When "logging" a cacher, allow the one logging to either A) enter the coords. you met the cacher (as mentioned a few pages back); or B ) enter the GC code for the cache you met the cacher at.

Then it would be really a great feature if by entering this GC code when you log a cacher it would add a little line automatically to your log on the cache page that says "I met XXXXXX , YYYYYYY, ZZZZZZ while doing this cache."

Then each player's name in that line would be a link to the log you logged on the cacher's page.

(Sorry... we have to support the site somehow).

Thoughts?

In that case, this already exists. I know several people that are travel bugs. They show up at events wearing dogtags. You write down the TB code and "discover" that person at the event.

I went a little further that the Dog Tag around my neck. I have a replica tattood on my ankle with the tracking number. I had to.. I lose stuff to easily LOL I usually forget it's even there, til someone mentions it.

We've been playing around the idea of a Social Find - that being a way that you can log individuals instead of caches. The concept goes like this:

Every user has their own unique code that they create for themselves. When they meet another geocacher in person, they give out their secret code. The other geocacher can return to the web site and enter the code to collect that geocacher's name on a social find list.

Thoughts?

I am a person who loves to try new things and I think this is a great idea. I don't know if the "NUMBERS" people will feel the same, but since I participate in this sport only to compete against myself and what I can do... I am game for anything. I already love the idea of the "discovered' choice on the TB's. Have a bunch of other caching and site ideas, though some far fetched, but sometimes ya gotta think outside the box. I prefer NOT to post them as bunnies are already constantly dodging bullets. :)

Well, I've gone back and have re-read the thread and see where I've made my mistake. (I think. I could still be confused.)

I humbly apologize for all of the wasted keystrokes.

The way I'm seeing though is still a little confusing to me. It seems as though the concept is trying to tie two different things together into one.

First of all, it appears that some folks are still thinking like I did at first that this is a "I Met" feature. You simply log those who you've met on the trail or where ever. It is not. I get that. Kind of disappointing, but I get it.

Then there is the "Social Log" where, if I'm reading this right, you get a code from folks at different events as ice breakers. It's not just that you've met them, but you've met them and have done some sort of task in order to get the code. (If I were to do it, my task would be "You do the same thing that you are requiring me to do.")

But, also, folks are thinking of grouping in functions that would be better handled with "Buddy Lists." This should be a mutually agreed upon mechanism so you don't have someone watching you that you don't know about. Additionally, you might only want to watch a few friends, not the couple hundred folks you got codes from.

I'm thinking the two should be separate functions.

I do also think it is no one's business who my buddies are. Keep that off the profile tabs.

That's the name of the game.

I personally think that if person want to hide something he/she must have SOMETHING to hide.

If we all play with open cards it much better for general safety. Of course this is also cultural thing and therefore I think that these extreme privacy things are ridicilous.

What come to features I think that seeing what kind social web people have is very interesting.

It was requested here that after you give you code you also need to accept/decline other peoples entry to you met log. That would address some concerns.

If we all play with open cards it much better for general safety. Of course this is also cultural thing and therefore I think that these extreme privacy things are ridicilous.

I see you don't hide your email address. A lot of cachers do, though. So, obviously a modicum of privacy is a concern.

Don't mistake me being one of the few that is vocal as it's just me. There are plenty who feel the same as I do but won't post because they don't want to deal with being targeted with snide remarks.

Now, that's a convincing argument right there. "Plenty others feel like me, they just won't say it!"

:laughing:

Don't mistake me being one of the few that is vocal as it's just me. There are plenty who feel the same as I do but won't post because they don't want to deal with being targeted with snide remarks.

Now, that's a convincing argument right there. "Plenty others feel like me, they just won't say it!"

:rolleyes:

See the portion of my post that I made bold. Oh, the irony. :laughing:

:rolleyes:

See the portion of my post that I made bold. Oh, the irony. :laughing:

If they don't speak up, then they won't be heard. I believe that's how all the major components of our society work. I'm not sure if you intend to, but your posts have a certain level of arrogance and antagonism in them (or maybe it's just me). This may be better suited as a private email, but it's too late, I already hit "ADD REPLY"

But, also, folks are thinking of grouping in functions that would be better handled with "Buddy Lists." This should be a mutually agreed upon mechanism so you don't have someone watching you that you don't know about. Additionally, you might only want to watch a few friends, not the couple hundred folks you got codes from.

I'm thinking the two should be separate functions.

I'm thinking that people you've met while geocaching/going to events are the ones that are going to be your buddies. It seems that there is quite a bit of overlap. I would think it would be easier to implement a single user interface for both than make two seperate.

The idea of a "I MET" that just adds to your log seems unnecessary in that you can just write that in your log right now. This is part of what seperates GC.com from other websites is the fact that the user interface is far more advanced, friendlier and intuitive.

After I meet someone at a geocache, I often want to check up on them and see what they are doing and what caches they have visited, etc. It gets very hard to find these people as time passes. Currently, I go to the cache that I met them at and click on their profile, but that gets more and more difficult. And the more people you meet, the more I realize that I'm not getting any younger and my memory isn't getting any better.

Some ideas:

1. The geocacher would be able to change his/her code at any time

Not entirely necessary, but a good idea.

2. Goofy tasks to get the code once you meet them should be ok (but that task should be the same for everyone)

Should be encouraged! :rolleyes:

3. The code should be rated G

of course.

4. This feature would be available to all users, but we're looking for ideas to add additional premium member features.

This would definitly encourage more people to be premium members.

Thoughts?

I like it. :laughing:

Edited by 4wheelin_fool
I'm thinking that people you've met while geocaching/going to events are the ones that are going to be your buddies.

I'm thinking not.

First off, what I'm getting from this thread is that it's not about "I Met." Jeremy has said as much. Second, there are boat loads of folks I've met that I couldn't care less what they're doing. I'm sure a lot of people feel the same way.

Additionally, by separating the two it would reduce server load because if folks have fewer buddies on a list than those they've gotten some code from, then there would be less updating on the watching page. Why make the server do all of that work for something you'll never look at? It's unnecessary.

I'm thinking trying to make everything into one function is the same as trying to force locationlesses into the same framework as caches.

I see three distinct functions:

• I MET: users you've meet anywhere. Simple and straight to the point. A mutual link.
  • SOCIAL LOG: Folks you've met and tasks you've accomplished other than finding a cache or attending an event. Can be a one-sided link.
  • BUDDY LIST: A user watchlist sort of thing. A grouping of activities a friend has done or is planning on doing. Another mutual link.

I've been reading through this thread and personally I like the idea this feature offers.

I know in my local geocaching organization, they have a forum thread for 6 degrees of seperation. And I know on my profile page I've put links up to geocachers I've met.

The only thing I'd like to be able to do that might not work with a code system is link to cachers I have met in the past, but they're no longer active on the website. Yeah I know, if they're not active, why would I want to? Still, I think it would be nice to be able to list cachers that I know, have met in person or whatnot, even if it wouldn't count the same as an official meeting with code exchange.

Edit: Maybe the solution for my comment could be something like what the bookmark lists are? Basically just a bookmark list for cachers, have it link to their profile.

Edited by KC0GRN

I guess I see two approaches to this.

1 - as a game to see how many people you can find, which would lend itself to the code acquiring

2 - as a way to keep track of cachers you have met while enjoying the sport, which would be more toward the Met me approach

I personally would be more in favor of option 2 as I would like a way to keep track of who I have met, which corresponds to why I enter finds and DNF's to keep track of my caching activity, enter coins I have found, but not coins that are on a list, etc.

I guess I would not have it as a socail log, but just a list of "people I've met" that is only viewable by me and if someone wants me on their list then fine. This eliminates the counts, the codes and the verification.

It would be nice to get to their profile page from there to see what they are doing and to easily contact them if you want to follow up on a discussion, ask them if they want to go caching, etc. So what I would like to see is a seperate page of cachers I met and an ability to include where I met them, add a note to their record and maybe to organize them some way. A way for me to personally keep up with the social aspect of caching.

BTW, I have met cachers while not at events and that is fun! :P

Why make the server do all of that work for something you'll never look at? It's unnecessary.

Web servers actually don't compute what people doesn't look at :P

Not directly, but you don't get e-mail notifications for EVERY log on EVERY cache do you? No, a watchlist means that it only has to process those which you have indicated you've cared about. Same thing with a "Buddy List": you may have "Met" dozens of cachers at a event or whatever, but you really don't care what they're doing anymore. The "Buddy List" would be people that you have explicitly stated that you want to pay attention to.

I'm not aware of any "pocket cache/pocket lint" thing that was been talked about but from the sounds of it I don't care to know.

I like the idea of having some sort of list (mutual or otherwise) of cachers you've met. How that is done can increase or decrease my level of interest. I don't think I'm entirly sold on the "dance like a monkey and I'll give you my code... but you only have until midnight to enter it because I play the game my way by changing it nightly" type of set up as Jeremy has proposed. I think that type of approach is an attempt to artifically induce a social aspect into an encounter that by nature is social but at its own level. Not everyone IS social in that way. But it is not completely out in left field and would propably work for the mojority of the situations.

I think people are being a little short sighted when they refer to meeting a person specifically in juncture with a cache or event. If the Social log was limited to those cases only, then it will not be that great.

I think no matter how many safe guards are thought about and implemented, you will always get some AppleHead that will find a way to "abuse" it and then hide behind "I play my way".

Regarding privacy on the public net... I will agree that if you are super concerned about strangers kowing that you are attending an event, then don't post your intention to attend. But I'm also a believer in not making it EASIER for those that wish to do harm. Currently, there is no one place to go to see a list of events a member is "planning" to attend. Your caches pages only shows events you HAVE attended.... old news. So if a person wants to know which events you are planning to attend, they would need to do a lot more work by looking at all the events that you might be going to to see if you are going. This is going to take more time. Having a nice list of people you stalk... er met... with a list of events they plan to attend is just too easy. There are mounds and mounds of personal data on just about everybody on the internet... but its spread out all over the place, hard to find and generaly useless by itself. The real problem comes up when you get a site that is able to gather all those little useless peices into one place and they suddenly become very useful... and easy to get. Now, here we're talking about pretty minor data about where and when you'll be... but there is no need to make it super easy to get the info. An analogy... I used to work with a guy that always left is car unlocked... often windows down. He always told me that if someone wanted to steal his radio, they were going to steal it regardless. Why have to deal with a broken window as well. I always thought that to be a lame thing... still do.

That's my take on the topic. I always enjoy reading the reasons others are for or against a perticular issue. Thanks for an enjoyable read.

I hate to sound extremely anti-social here, but this feature makes me a little worried in the fact that I don't want other cachers to "want" something from me if I happen to meet them. All of the cachers I've met on the field ( we don't attend events ;) ) have been great people and I've loved meeting them, but I'd be a little put off if they asked me for a code and treated me like a find :huh:.

I hate to sound extremely anti-social here, but this feature makes me a little worried in the fact that I don't want other cachers to "want" something from me if I happen to meet them. All of the cachers I've met on the field ( we don't attend events ;) ) have been great people and I've loved meeting them, but I'd be a little put off if they asked me for a code and treated me like a find :huh:.

I'm hoping that they would ask you if you wanted their code first and would give you the opportunity to let them know you may/may not use that aspect of the site.

I expect social pressures and etiquette to dictate that people who run around like a raving loon trying to scoop up as many cacherCodes as they can will quickly find that fewer and fewer people are giving them the time of day when they try. It seems like it will be a self-governing affair.

In the meantime, if I do meet someone that I want to stay in contact with, then having a business card with my name, cacherNickname, e-mail, maybe phone number and cacherCode will be a good way to hand out my info.

Reading some comments in a different thread prompted me to actually read all 4 pages of this thread. My thoughts;

I think it's great that Jeremy is working toward a solution for those folks who want to track each other. It's because of the efforts of folks like Jeremy and the Groundspeak staff, that Geocaching is so far above those other caching sites. Thanx Boss!

I see a lot of good ideas here, mingled with the typical percentage of snarky comments. ;)

The biggest disadvantage I see is that it would increase bandwidth, (cost), without any increase in funds to Groundspeak. Naturally, only the good folks at Groundspeak know how much bandwidth they have to spare, so this might not even be an issue. Just thinking out loud.

After mulling over these different ideas, I'd still prefer an adaptation to the existing travel bug process, with the creation of a personal tag. As I envision it, this tag could be a dog tag type thingy worn around the neck, a hat pin, a button, whatever. Details can be worked out at a later date. The tag would have a tracking number, just like a TB, and would need to be purchased from Groundspeak. At an event, one could mingle around, meeting folks, writing down their tracking numbers. Then they could log their experiences once they got home.

The beauty of this system is two fold;

1) Only those that want to play the "look who I met" game would be included. There would not be any difference between premium members and non-premium members. Everybody who wanted to play would be equal.

2) The system would pay for itself.

Just my $0.02 :huh:

I am not a social person, Having said that will say I like the idea of social logging. Never having been to an event or even a caching with an unorganized group I do not meet a lot of Cachers. However, with something like this in place I would be more likely to talk to people on trails (other than to exchange pleasantries) if this were in place. and by extension would likely meet some people that I would like to knpw better.

couple of thoughts.

1. for those of you who don't like the idea of do something in exchange for the code. I don't remember anyone saying that saying hello or shaking hands would not be sufficient. Some people are more dramatic than others and so they may ask you do do something more deranged. use your wits and ingenuity to convince them to do it first so you don't feel so silly doing it yourself. also the requirement, like the code would not have to be static. If you look timid the person you are meeting may not ask you to run around the nearest tree shouting "I love to meet geo cachers" (okay no one else can use that one, I call dibs :huh: ) but rather come up with something acceptable to both.

2. for the we want privacy people, your stalker already knows where you live, what caches you have been to, your favourite type of cache, and is hiding one in your neighbourhood right now to lure you into an devious trap. look out! ;)

be careful out there

bwmick

Edited by bwmick

I like a buddy list type idea and an I Met list as well.

The Buddy list idea because I want to be able to run PQs for caching trips with some friends and get caches in the PQ that we have found but they haven't. Also, it would be cool with a buddy list to see that So-And-So had 5 cache finds this month and Such-And-Such logged on 2 days ago.

But I expect a Buddy list will be along the lines of a list of people I have marked in some way as being caching buddies, and their particular list links me to their profiles. (I would love to see # of finds in the last 30 days listed, just to see if they have been active lately.)

With the I Met list, same general idea, a list of folks we have met, with profile links, and I can go to the I Met log and see what notes I made.

About the code- I don't like the idea of having a changeable code to give out. Also, what happens when you meet someone but don't get the spelling of their log-on name and/or mis-spell it and can't find them on the website. You wouldn't be able to look them up via the codeword since the code may be the same for 100s of people. And if they don't log online, it would be pretty hard to track them down.

Code word caches aren't allowed currently..... why a code word for logging now?

I would prefer to be able to click on someone's profile and choose to "Add to Buddy List" or "Add to I Met List" and be done with it. That would let me have a tab of folks who I am interested in watching, and let me keep track of who I have met.

For the public/private issue- when I add someone to a buddy or met list, it should add a link in that person's buddy area, like there are TB's Owned and TB's Found in the trackable's area.

Biggest thing I would like to have- the ability to see whose lists I am on and remove myself from them. If someone I REALLY dislike has me on their buddy list, I want the option of refusal. Of clicking on that person's link to me and marking it as an unwanted link, which should remove me from any of their lists. As an alternate option- I would like to see an opt-out option which asks "do you give permission for other cachers to add your profile to their lists?" If I say yes, I am addable. If I say no, it will not let them add me to a list. I see potential for abuse of the link system, but feel that very few cachers would use it in a negative way.

Give premium members the ability to 6-degree other folks, and stuff like e-mail a group of buddies prior to a caching trip. Give us the ability to mark in the "met" log where the meeting happened. I can't see how a TB handoff would work, but the other person can still grab it and log it in and out of a nearby cache if folks want to give it mileage.

Just a few thoughts before I head to bed, hope that something cool comes out of this.

-Jen

... Currently, there is no one place to go to see a list of events a member is "planning" to attend. Your caches pages only shows events you HAVE attended.... old news. So if a person wants to know which events you are planning to attend, they would need to do a lot more work by looking at all the events that you might be going to to see if you are going. ...

Actually, it is a piece of cake to find this information. All you have to do is 'watch' the local events. You will get an email documenting each person who posts a 'will attend'.

Another thought on why codes might not be a bad idea, everyone is worried about mis-spelling and the like but how about this, we'll call it the bar model.

you meet a cacher at event x, they rub you the wrong way but you are a polite person who doesn't like to make a fuss, so you reach into your cache bag and hand them your fake code... now they just can't call you tomorrow. on the off chance they take the time to find your profile and e-mail you you can deal if, however I expect that after a little time people will just realize if the code does't work they are just out of luck. hey it'll be just like back in the day :blink:

bwmick

Edited by bwmick

Ok, I know I'm coming in here late to the party, but as someone coming in late to this discussion, I have to admit I find the discussion a bit perplexing.

If the idea is just a "met" or "friends" type thing, just do it like every other social networking site and get it over with. Don't make it some complex game, people will just cheat to collect the most friends like on Friendster et al. anyway.

But if the idea really is a "social log" type of thing, I think the whole "personal codeword" or whatever adds unneeded complexity. If you let people pick their own codewords, it then also requires policing by TPTB so that people keep it G-rated, it is always trivial to defeat any kind of automated "bad words" filter. So if you're going to go with the "personal codeword" idea, at least make it something that is randomly generated by gc.com to avoid people who can't act like grownups.

But the part I don't understand is, why not just extend the existing ad hoc system of "personal" travel bugs / geocoins (just gonna say TB from now on, but assume I mean gc.com-trackable coins in all cases too) that people are already using? Give users the ability to mark one (and only one at a time) travel bug or geocoin that they own and have as a personal tracking TB, which then cannot be "dropped" or "grabbed" or "retreived", only "discovered" by other users.

When a TB marked as a personal TB is discovered by another cacher, all the usual TB logging stuff happens as usual, but then some additional magic happens with additional info added to a new database for the "social logging" stuff. Then you could display the info for all the other cachers who've logged a cacher on a new tab and such, as well as all the other cachers who the given user has logged, and by keeping it in an independent database keyed per user, you could let users changed their personal tracking TB in the future without it being tied to the logging of a particular TB (which they might have lost, or they just minted their own geocoin and want to use that).

I'd suggest opening this up to any gc.com user, not just premium members. It does have a buy-in cost, which is the cost of a single set of TB tags or any geocoin, but let's face it, that isn't too much to ask people to pay for such a feature, is it?

Then for premium members, add some of the things like others have suggested, perhaps for non-premiums, the icons always show up as a Signal or TB icon, but for premium members, it shows up with the actual icon of the item they have as their personal tracking TB (well, ok, this really only works for geocoins, but...). That way people who have personal coins w/ custom icons will always show up with their custom icon in other's lists too.

So, am I just smoking crack, or does this make some sense?

In all the various incarnations suggested here, I don't see myself participating in this. I really like meeting geocachers and have met I don't know how many hundreds in the past, so I really don't need additional encouragement in the form of another stat to talk to people at an event or something.

Does this really accomplish the goal of making people more social, or building community? Or will it instead encourage people to quickly go from person to person seeking out another +1 to their social find count? How many will be sent off to jump through some random hoop, instead of just talking to someone about geocaching or whatever?

I appreciate the idea of having some kind of icebreaker game an an event, but a formal system of "social finds" just doesn't do anything for me and I'm not at all convinced that it does anything to build or strengthen the community. I recognize that I'm in the minority in this thread in that opinion though.

If this feature is to move forward my suggestion is to have a limited beta test group to see how it plays out, and to see how successful it is at events or in terms of community building. That would clearly be rather subjective, but I think that's ok...

I've read all of it..

Personally, I keep a list of the cachers I meet on the trails, at caches and the cachers that I accidentally bump (when not caching) into (got the sticker on my car, so they notice me!) but, I don't count the cachers I meet at events. First of all, there are too many of them and second, it's always the same cachers with a handful of new people.

If I meet cachers on the trails or at a cache, I will write about it in my found (or DNF) log.

If I meet cachers accidentally, I will write about in the thread of my local forum.

:unsure:

I'll see when this thing takes off and maybe reconsider but for now.. I'm not really attracted to the idea.

And, sorry Jeremy, I don't have a idea about what could improve/add additional premium member features.

In all the various incarnations suggested here, I don't see myself participating in this. I really like meeting geocachers and have met I don't know how many hundreds in the past, so I really don't need additional encouragement in the form of another stat to talk to people at an event or something.

Does this really accomplish the goal of making people more social, or building community? Or will it instead encourage people to quickly go from person to person seeking out another +1 to their social find count? How many will be sent off to jump through some random hoop, instead of just talking to someone about geocaching or whatever?

I appreciate the idea of having some kind of icebreaker game an an event, but a formal system of "social finds" just doesn't do anything for me and I'm not at all convinced that it does anything to build or strengthen the community. I recognize that I'm in the minority in this thread in that opinion though.

If this feature is to move forward my suggestion is to have a limited beta test group to see how it plays out, and to see how successful it is at events or in terms of community building. That would clearly be rather subjective, but I think that's ok...

I have to say that I only read the OP and these last few posts and I'm the group with Nazgul - strange, eh?

I like meeting others at Events and out on the trail but it's not something I do or would track.

I realize some might and it's nothing that I HAVE to do, so I would just choose to not participate in this.

Besides, nobody ever approaches me at events anyway....maybe it's the loincloth and the bad comb-over.

If a social find has an associated counter then it will be abused by the usual numbers crowd. We can expect large tables at events where cachers can lay out cards containing their contact codes. This will have the advantage that they can all claim to have met each other without having to work the crowd and pester everybody.