Feature Concept - The Social Find

Jeremy

I like the idea even though I am a NPM - would make a nice distraction at the event and out in the wild.

Now if I were say break down and pony up $3 just before an event I could log those who were nice enough to share their number, then let the PM expire, would those folks that I met and logged still show through my profile?

With this new feature will Groundspeak be taking a hard stance against pocket caches then?

We can start with taking a hard stance with hijacking this thread maybe?

Any interest in contributing to this thread? No? Then stop posting please. Thanks.

In all fairness Jeremy, your opening post mentioned pocket caches as a jumping off point so I think 5¢'s question was valid and on topic. However, I also think, with the events of the past week or so, it is pretty obvious that there has already been a hard stance taken on pocket caches. :laughing:

All that being said, I do like the concept. I think I'd prefer to have it be open to all members tho. Give premium members a few more options like here in the forums (custom icons, being able to u/l pictures, customizing the cachers 'page' etc.). Not having it open to all would make it hard to backlog everyone you've met once you go premium if you don't do so right away. I didn't go premium for almost a year after I joined the site. I met quite a few cachers in that time and it would have been difficult to go back and log them after that long.

Icons: if not custom ones, have seperate ones for charter, premium and regular members?

I like it better as 'I met' rather than 'social log'. Often times I meet fellow cachers on the hunt. I've even met one randomly on a ferry while traveling thru the outer banks of North Carolina. Those are some of the other reasons I can see for this feature. Not all meetings of cachers happen at events. Looking forward to seeing how this develops! :laughing:

Edited by Corp Of Discovery
Thoughts?

Seems like the concept is one sided where both would have to exchange codes and both would have to enter the codes into the site. In reality, they both met each other. Conceivably, the site could show one cacher met a person and that other person didn't meet the original person.

Also, you'd still have the "lists issue" where folks could pass around lists. Then the person whose code has been passed around has to explain why he's deleting logs and would have the change the code.

I detailed in another thread a way that would eliminate codes, the one-way aspect, and any need to delete logs. I'll recap: a link on the profile page that a visitor clicks to indicate they've met the person whose profile they're viewing. The profilee receives a message indicates someone met them and asks them to confirm it. Kind of like moderating the links instead of having to edit or delete them.

It's a two way street and it really doesn't matter which person initiates the link.

There is one element of this scheme that is both a positive and a negative. The other person has to acknowledge the link. The negative is that someone is denied a link if the other person drops out. The positive is that a person can not claim a link that the other person doesn't acknowledge.

Also, this will work without folks having to pass around codes and can be retroactive all the way back to whenever without having to try to remember who met, forgetting you met someone (because they might remember and remind you), and a lot less hassle.

The real difference between the two schemes is yours is front-loaded with the confirmation code and mine is rear-loaded with a manual confirmation.

I have seen it work the way you describe on www.facebook.com . It works rather well, and does keep the bogus linking down for people concerned with it.

Here's how I would envision the system to work:

1) 'BOB' meets 'JIM' while out caching

2) JIM is a premium member, BOB is not

3) BOB can log that he found JIM and maybe even get a cool "JIM" icon on his FOUND screen

4) JIM cannot log BOB, because BOB is not a premium member. Get with the program BOB!

The game would be to collect all the cool people icons, kind of like with geocoins. I do like the idea of JIM needing to verify that BOB found him before BOB gets the cool JIM icon. There could be a screen which displays a bunch of the icons with a link to view the log and a link to the persons profile.

Other non-premium Limitation ideas:

1) Allow BOB to be found, but not allow him to have a personal icon??

Just some thoughts.....

Nice explanation of the general idea. I see it as a separate tab on the profile instead of a tacked on find count.

An extension, I suppose, is that when you create a new code you can put a little note next to it. So when the user logs the code it marks them with the task they completed. Even though it would still count as a single find you can see how they acquired it.

There is one part I don't understand... Will Finding JIM increase BOB's find count by 1? It would be nice to make this a seperate piece that doesn't affect find counts. Similar to how finding a TB or geocoin doesn't increase your find count.

Sounds like a cool idea

Having read all the posts to date I think I understand what you're saying, Jeremy, but is the goal to offer an alternative to pocket caches as a social tool/smiley generator? Granted, this is probbaly back to your "tempest in a teapot", but it will not solve the problem entirely since the biggest culprits generating the underlying controversy are the smiley-hounds. In any event, it will probably satisfy many (if not most) and I like the concept and applaud the effort - not to mention it could be a lot of fun at events or on the trails!

There had been discussions before about a whole "buddy list" kind of thing and this could be tied into that as well and it could (as you previously mentioned) bring all the Groundspeak sites together into a larger community...perhaps all of this grouped together under a "Community" tab. Lots of room for new ideas here.

I have to agree with those who say that being able to log only premium members would not work. I think a lot of premium members would not give out their code without getting one in return, thus excluding the non-premium members. This would be a tangible, in-your-face type thing, unlike all the other benifits of being a premium member. The concept is good, but needs a way to not exclude a large group. I think that everyone being able to log everyone, but allow only premium members to make notes and post pictures or such would make it much more popular and usefull.

I like the idea, with some reservations.

The main one being that I think all members, premium or not, should be included. While I don't have any statistics, it seems to me that the newer cachers most often aren't premium members, while the more experienced cachers are. But, the more experienced cachers already know each other and don't need a "social list" for them to socialize at an event. Having it available to the newer (non-premium) cachers would push them to introduce themselves to as many other cachers at an event as they can.

Secondly, I don't care if I get a smilie for finding people, but I would like to be able to document the folks I meet. But it would have to be all of the folks, or it's not as valuable a tool for me.

As for how the list will be formatted, I can imagine something along the lines of the TB list, where you can click on alphabetical, last found, etc.

Instead of a code, I've come up with a different variation of the concept that you may want to consider.

1) Two cachers meet on the trail.

2) One (or both) use their GPS to find the coordinates of their meeting.

3) They both write down these coordinates.

4) They both come to the site, find the user, and enter the coordinates. As long as they match, they are "connected".

This would give you the ability to use Google Maps to easily create a map of where you met people. This could be the premium feature you could offer.

I like the idea. I've seen a number of people with comments in their profiles saying "people I met on the trail" or something like this. An organized database of people, times & places would be fun to have. Not sure it will help with the pocket lint problem though.

But how will the people finds be located? Coords from the event you met them? Will the meeting be tied to a cache somehow? Or will you just have a list of cachers names on your profile somewhere showing that you've met them and it won't show where?

Locationless? Yes, really! When you log a "people find" you could enter the coords in like on a locationless. Ah, Jeremy's probably already rm'd all that code by now. :laughing:

As for how the list will be formatted, I can imagine something along the lines of the TB list, where you can click on alphabetical, last found, etc.

Sounds good to me. Seems like cachers are the same as travel bugs but bigger and able to move by themselves (and sometimes a bit smelly.) After all, both have goals of moving from cache to cache.

I'm being convinced that logging could be available for any user. I'll need some help with determining what additional features could be provided for Premium Members though. These ideas grabbed from the topic:

1. 6 degrees of separation (between me and [insert username])

2. Your own personal icon (separate from the avatar images) other than a generic signal frog avatar

??

I'm not a big fan of removing content features (like log text) as a PM feature.

EDIT: Was already working on it, SQ. Heh.

Potential incentives for paid membership (instead of this idea that only PMs can be met in person):

* Card templates for printing out official "Hi, nice to meet you! My secret code is XYZ!" Geocaching.com cards.

Creating a "fill in the blank" pdf file isn't hard to do and would give anyone who wanted to easily and quickly distribute their secret word a way to do so that the recipient would be able to reference when they finally got back to a computer from having met people.

This of course would be a minor (yet probably well-used) perk for premium members. Consider how many people already print out TB laminate tags, "what is geocaching" brochures, cache instruction sheets, and so on...

can i have an icon?

I stand by my original remarks about pocket lint (aka pocket caches). I do, however, acknowledge the benefit that this concept has for breaking the ice at functions and improving the overall community feel.

We've been playing around the idea of a Social Find - that being a way that you can log individuals instead of caches. The concept goes like this:

Every user has their own unique code that they create for themselves. When they meet another geocacher in person, they give out their secret code. The other geocacher can return to the web site and enter the code to collect that geocacher's name on a social find list.

This would be on the honor system not only for the findee but also for the finder. In other words if you share your code to someone you never met in person it would be considered a no no but - how can you prove it? And I don't think we need to be the social police either.

Some ideas:

1. The geocacher would be able to change his/her code at any time

2. Goofy tasks to get the code once you meet them should be ok (but that task should be the same for everyone)

3. The code should be rated G

4. Any geocacher can log a user but only Premium and Charter members can generate their own codes. (Sorry... we have to support the site somehow).

Thoughts?

I'm being convinced that logging could be available for any user. I'll need some help with determining what additional features could be provided for Premium Members though. These ideas grabbed from the topic:

2. Your own personal icon (separate from the avatar images) other than a generic signal frog avatar

??

I'm guessing the custom icon thing would go over pretty well. Non-premiums would just get a standard silhouette icon.

Thanks for opening this idea up to non-premiums. I think everyone will enjoy it. :laughing:

??

Would be nice to have a quick "one stop shopping" place to go to see your buddies and their recent activity. Also, I find myself copy and pasting quite often when I've visited a really cool cache and want to share it with my geo-buddies. I have to copy the link, find their profile (usually through a recent log they've made) and click to email them and paste the link in the email. So maybe some way to recommend a cache to my buddies from the cache page.

So to sum up: on my buddy page, I would see people I've met, their recent activity and recommendations from my buddies. And the ability to send recommendations from the cache pages.

Not sure whether these would fall under PM features or not, that would be up to you guys.

??

3. As ju66ler said, an official Groundspeak PDF where we can fill in the code and name would be cool, though how you'd keep it under Premie accounts without invoking DMCA copyright protections, I dunno.

4. Ability to log not only the user, but attach it to an event or cache, then

4a. Special PQ(?)/Google Earth Combo that makes a 'pushpin' map of where you have met people, with lines going to your home coordinate, with 'crow-flies' mileage overlaid on the line?

5. Rating system for cachers... oh wait, prolly not a good idear. :laughing:

Anyway, count another vote for allowing 'members' to log as well. Just like finding a cache, finding a person should follow the same structure. Just get more goodies along teh Premium Way.

Edited by New England n00b

How about letting premium members have a link that would take you to the other cachers "my" page. That way we could see their last 30 days worth of logs.

Or how about the ability to create a PQ that includes only caches not found by yourself and the met cacher so you can go on a cache trip together.

Non-members get to see the last 100 members they've met and logged on their page, members get to see them all.

Members get to see how many total people have been logged, non-members "stats" only show a number if it's less than 100, otherwise it says "You've met over 100 people".

The only drawback is... this is starting to sound like MySpace!

I do like the personal icon option for PMs; maybe also provide them with a "recent buddy activity" filter/link to logs, where regular members would just have a list of links to profiles.

I still think the code-word idea is cheezy, but I can see how it would put less effort into the process.

With regard to the concept proposed by Jeremy: I personally see no reason why this would be something that would be logged on geocaching.com if the various other items that don’t have logs are deemed to be things that don’t belong into geocaching (locationless, virtuals, etc). It is pretty hypocritical to create something that clearly violates the stated basic principles (a physical cache with a log) and at the same time nix a concept (pocket caches) that does have more of the essential traits (having a physical log and a container) yet does achieve exactly the same thing (social interaction). The proposed concept is something that should be tossed into the same catch-all bin (Waymarking) for things that don’t fit the Jeremy-decree as to what a cache is.

Personally I can think of some higher-priority work for your programers then this. If you are having trouble finding things that premium folks like myself are willing to pay for, then look at the pinned items at the top. There is at least one item there that has been languishing for lack of work by your team (caches along a route). Then there is the API that many of us would love to see made available for the third-party software developers.

With regard to the concept proposed by Jeremy: I personally see no reason why this would be something that would be logged on geocaching.com if the various other items that don’t have logs are deemed to be things that don’t belong into geocaching (locationless, virtuals, etc). It is pretty hypocritical to create something that clearly violates the stated basic principles (a physical cache with a log) and at the same time nix a concept (pocket caches) that does have more of the essential traits (having a physical log and a container) yet does achieve exactly the same thing (social interaction). The proposed concept is something that should be tossed into the same catch-all bin (Waymarking) for things that don’t fit the Jeremy-decree as to what a cache is.

Personally I can think of some higher-priority work for your programers then this. If you are having trouble finding things that premium folks like myself are willing to pay for, then look at the pinned items at the top. There is at least one item there that has been languishing for lack of work by your team (caches along a route). Then there is the API that many of us would love to see made available for the third-party software developers.

I think calling it a "FIND" is not the intention (maybe it was). I'm looking at it more from the perspective of added functionality, not a find type. I would love to keep track of the people I meet and have an interface to easily communicate with them, share information or just check up on their latest activities.

Part of the reason I use geocaching.com as opposed to the other sites is because gc.com has much better functionality and is easier to use. What would be the point of releasing an API? So competing sites could take advantage of the great functionality? That would be a stupid business decision in my opinion.

You certainly seem to have a chip on your shoulder from reading your post.. What's the story behind the chip?

I don't. I don't like the fact that as the findee you have to run through many verification emails just to get someone to mark you as met. It's tedious and unnecessary. The code allows you to greet someone and offer them an easy way to log you.

I've already answered that problem.

This whole code thing keeps giving me visions of "cacher code lists" like that of archived caches and geocoins. Unless the owner of the code is on top of his game you will have folks logging others who they've never met. Using the code scheme is just setting us up for more angst down the road.

What would be the point of releasing an API? So competing sites could take advantage of the great functionality?

Actually, gc.com provides little functionality compared to the concepts folks have floated out there. Groundspeak has no interest in providing some features even though there is a demand for them. You only need to do some reading back through the forums to see what I'm talking about. No need to go further OT than we have.

??

Ability to sort people I've met, for instance into bookmark lists. Currently I keep a list in my profile of my friends, so I can check up on their caching. Having a bookmark list with perhaps some stats / activity indicators would be nice.

I don't. I don't like the fact that as the findee you have to run through many verification emails just to get someone to mark you as met. It's tedious and unnecessary. The code allows you to greet someone and offer them an easy way to log you.

This whole code thing keeps giving me visions of "cacher code lists" like that of archived caches and geocoins. Unless the owner of the code is on top of his game you will have folks logging others who they've never met. Using the code scheme is just setting us up for more angst down the road.

I see your point on this, but Jeremy mentioned something about being able to change the code. I'd also suggest adding an optional code expiration date. What I'd see here is that you'ld put in a new code and, optionally an expiration. Then the folks you give the code to have until that expiration date to 'log' you. After that expiration date, the code no longer works and passing around the codes is pointless. So it would work something like...

-SQ would set a code with an expiration of 7/5/06 in getting ready for an event on 7/1/06

-At the event, SQ gives CR his code

-CR logs SQ on 7/4

-CR gives SQ's code to 5 others (whom SQ never met) on 7/6

-The other 5 try to log SQ but it fails - code is expired

-SQ gets around to changing his code on 7/10 in anticipation of antother event or just meeting others on the trails

How about letting premium members have a link that would take you to the other cachers "my" page. That way we could see their last 30 days worth of logs.

Or how about the ability to create a PQ that includes only caches not found by yourself and the met cacher so you can go on a cache trip together.

I'd go for this. Since you have physically met the other cacher and got along well enough to log each other, you probably feel comfortable with them having access to your DNFs and finds. But if someone has a privacy concern, maybe they could choose not to share their 30-day activity page. DNF logs can be pretty interesting to read, which is why I like webscouter's idea.

The PQ of caches not found by both yourself and the met cacher ties in with the spirit of this idea - building friendships and a community. Makes it easier to plan an area to go caching together.

Not sure what kind of database strain these ideas would cause.

Instead of a code, I've come up with a different variation of the concept that you may want to consider.

4) They both come to the site, find the user, and enter the coordinates. As long as they match, they are "connected".

This would give you the ability to use Google Maps to easily create a map of where you met people. This could be the premium feature you could offer.

These are interesting ideas. Sounds very much like the QSO logbook concept in ham radio. There is a "log book of the world" on the arrl site, and a QSO is only valid of both parties upload the same info.

I think your onto something here, although I believe you should not have to be a premium member to use this feature either way. I personally am glad you are looking to ways for the game to evolve and trying to find ways to make it all work.

Premium Members Ideas:

This could be the way to sort people into "friends" lists...allow me (as a PM) to sort people I've met into "bookmark"ed lists, including my friends list, so I could keep linked connections to their profiles.

PMs could upload an icon (for free, or maybe a little bit of cash) for their "I Met" exchanges.

PMs could log "I Mets" for any cache, while NPMs could only log during events.

PMs could use PQs to determine which people were signed up to attend upcoming events.

Just my thoughts on what sounds like a fun new feature.

Jamie - NFA

PMs could be able to see if anyone in their social contact list was currently logged into the website

PMs could designate a single cache where they plan on heading next. It would appear next to their name in other people's social lists where they have been included. (this is building off of nfa's last idea)

People You Have Met

*icon* nfa ( Next Cache/Event: Fun Fun Fun Upstate NY GeoMeetup! )

Just a twist on some ideas already posted:

Regular members and premium members could generate a code that could be logged like the initial suggestion. - this would mean something like "I met so-and-so"...

Premium members can have additional codes - for example, a premium member could create the "Bingo" game mentioned earlier for an event and have a code to hand out for people who complete the activity. If you just meet this person and don't do bingo, you can log the regular code. If you do the bingo, you can log both.... like mentioned earlier, a note could be automatically placed associated with the code to say something like "completed bingo at xxx event" ....

Set it up so premium members could have 5 or 10 codes simultaneously...

------------

other $$ ideas:

* one icon/stat for meeting non-premium members

* one icon/stat for meeting premium members

* sell special icons to groups/individuals

~J of TeamRJMK~

Probably a dumb question but I didn't see it in the tangle above . .

Would I be able to see a list of all those who logged as having met me? Would I be able to delete the "find" of a person I didn't meet?

I'm scared that this will degenerate like the geocoin code swapping has done but I'll keep an open mind on it.

Edited by Rebel

additional features for PM's:

ability to upload pictures/links attached to the meeting

personal icon/picture including those of NPM's - NPM's only get the generic icon/name on their profile (a square that says upgrade to PM to have the picture instead of this black square)

unlimited numbers of cachers met (NPM's could log say up to up to 10 cachers)

a link directly to the met persons profile - disabled for NPM's (or it takes them to the upgrade to PM page)

anythig else that would increase the desire of a NPM to upgrade to PM to get the "extras"

Would I be able to see a list of all those who logged as having met me? Would I be able to delete the "find" of a person I didn't meet?

My feeling would be that there would be a list of people I met and people who met me. It doesn't sound intuitive in the normal meeting sense but it makes sense in this context.

I really like this idea.

Question: Would you have to meet at an event or a cache? Would the "I met" log be tied to a cache? I have never met a cacher anywhere else but who knows it *might* happen one day.

Just curious.

[Edit: Oh and can PMs charge NPMs say $1.00 for their codes? :blink: ]

[Edit 2: Add smiley above.]

Edited by Tharagleb

A proposal I like very much!

I'm trying to figure out a way of saying I don't like the idea without being as irritating as usual. Turns out, that's hard for me. Huh.

I really like going to meets and, um, meeting people, but I don't log coins or personal TB's from there. I logged a few at first, and I just didn't like the experience. It felt icky and wrong. It's almost like it cheapened the ones I found in the wild, you know? Like when somebody just hands you a sig item and you feel like, "meh."

Well, whatever. Bully for me. But I learned early on, when somebody thrusts a coin in front of you and says, "Wanna log my special-edition commemorative collectible geocoin?" and you say, "oh, no thanks" he usually looks at you like you punched him in the solar plexus. I've learned to say, "oh, I don't log those, but I'd really like to see one. Could I hold it?"*

I'd have a miserable time working my way through a room jotting down numbers. It's not my kind of fun. But what am I going to say? No, thanks...meeting you was such a total non-event, I've forgotten it already? What if you forget to log somebody who logs you? See, I'm getting social phobia just thinking about it.

Maybe if you did make it a special kind of TB number. That way, everybody who wanted to could buy in (wider potential revenue, I should think), but there's some excuse for opting out. Make people a special kind of trackable. With a people icon.

If it's just a gimme with premium membership, what excuse do I have for not playing, without looking like a giant snot-bag?

*Note to anyone I've ever said that to, for real: I really did like looking at the coins. Some of them are quite beautiful. Especially the Green Man one...who designed that?

Can you log someone multiple times? In this context it seems like the answer would be yes, you would log them every time you meet them. Or is it a log of everyone you've met, thus you log them once.

I like the idea. You could have a list of people and put their avatars in the list.

Considering it, i think there should be verification involved, like there is with adoption. Otherwise there will just be lists of codes passed around (on the honor system) and, well... With verification, you can say yes, I met you. Perhaps a bit of a pita, but personally I would like to be able to control who *says* they met me.

(I still do wish for 1 found per cache, but I'll be quiet about it...)

My feeling would be that there would be a list of people I met and people who met me. It doesn't sound intuitive in the normal meeting sense but it makes sense in this context.

Possibly include a "flag" next to the name of anyone who met me but I didn't meet? That might help with the concern of lists of codes being passed around.

I'm trying to figure out a way of saying I don't like the idea without being as irritating as usual. Turns out, that's hard for me. Huh.

Oh Auntie, and here I was already starting a PQ of the caches along the route to Rho d'Island, just so I could meet you and get you on my list!

I stand by my original remarks about pocket lint (aka pocket caches). I do, however, acknowledge the benefit that this concept has for breaking the ice at functions and improving the overall community feel.

We've been playing around the idea of a Social Find - that being a way that you can log individuals instead of caches. The concept goes like this:

Every user has their own unique code that they create for themselves. When they meet another geocacher in person, they give out their secret code. The other geocacher can return to the web site and enter the code to collect that geocacher's name on a social find list.

This would be on the honor system not only for the findee but also for the finder. In other words if you share your code to someone you never met in person it would be considered a no no but - how can you prove it? And I don't think we need to be the social police either.

Some ideas:

1. The geocacher would be able to change his/her code at any time

2. Goofy tasks to get the code once you meet them should be ok (but that task should be the same for everyone)

3. The code should be rated G

4. Any geocacher can log a user but only Premium and Charter members can generate their own codes. (Sorry... we have to support the site somehow).

Thoughts?

Just discovered this thread! I like the idea! I would only add the following suggestions for features:

• allow folks to make actual online log entries, complete with comments
  • allow finders to upload fotos, same as with regular finds

Thanks for considering the possibility of implementing this feature! And, I agree about Premium members only!

To get rid of the code, allow cachers to delete bogus finds. I would presumably receive an email when someone has claimed to have found me. If I didn't really meet them I could delete their log.

I really like this idea.

Question: Would you have to meet at an event or a cache? Would the "I met" log be tied to a cache? I have never met a cacher anywhere else but who knows it *might* happen one day.

Just curious.

[Edit: Oh and can PMs charge NPMs say $1.00 for their codes? :blink: ]

[Edit 2: Add smiley above.]

How about (optionally) adding the GC number to which cache you met at (or on the way to). That way you could find cachers at events and regular caches.

To get rid of the code, allow cachers to delete bogus finds. I would presumably receive an email when someone has claimed to have found me. If I didn't really meet them I could delete their log.

I wish everyone would stop calling this "FINDS"... It's making me feel icky. Can we call it something else? I sure hope this isn't going to increase find counts. Can someone in charge say "NO, IT WONT" so I feel better about myself?

Thanks! :blink:

Thoughts?

Seems like the concept is one sided where both would have to exchange codes and both would have to enter the codes into the site. In reality, they both met each other. Conceivably, the site could show one cacher met a person and that other person didn't meet the original person.

Also, you'd still have the "lists issue" where folks could pass around lists. Then the person whose code has been passed around has to explain why he's deleting logs and would have the change the code.

I detailed in another thread a way that would eliminate codes, the one-way aspect, and any need to delete logs. I'll recap: a link on the profile page that a visitor clicks to indicate they've met the person whose profile they're viewing. The profilee receives a message indicates someone met them and asks them to confirm it. Kind of like moderating the links instead of having to edit or delete them.

It's a two way street and it really doesn't matter which person initiates the link.

There is one element of this scheme that is both a positive and a negative. The other person has to acknowledge the link. The negative is that someone is denied a link if the other person drops out. The positive is that a person can not claim a link that the other person doesn't acknowledge.

Also, this will work without folks having to pass around codes and can be retroactive all the way back to whenever without having to try to remember who met, forgetting you met someone (because they might remember and remind you), and a lot less hassle.

The real difference between the two schemes is yours is front-loaded with the confirmation code and mine is rear-loaded with a manual confirmation.

Some more differences are that Jeremy's proposal would allow for the following:

• the option for the finder to file an online log report, much as is done for finding a cache
  • the option fo the finder to upload fotos, if they wish
  • the option for the "hider" to require folks to sign a personal logbook or to perfrom other simple tasks prior to being able to claim a find

Overall, I prefer Jeremy's proposal, and this is my gut sense as well. And, I think that it would drastically decrease the frequency a lot of the silly behaviors which we have been seeing, such logged finds for pocket caches, temporary event caches and for retirement clause caches, because it would satisfy the social networking needs of cachers who attent geo events or engage in other social geo activities!

Any geocacher can log a user but only Premium and Charter members can generate their own codes. (Sorry... we have to support the site somehow).

OK - just playing on this and the suggestion for other "premium member" content. Is the goal with this to provide a service or to increase premium memberships?

Premium membership on this site already provides these great services (listed in order of MY personal preference):

Pocket Queries

Bookmark Lists

Coming Soon: Caches Along a Route

Insta-Notify

Individual GPX files

Panning Maps (now obsolete with the Google Map interface)

Forum Titles Changes

Ignore lists

Unlimited Watchlists

Members Only caches

Access to Off Topic Forum

In addition - of course it's the right thing to do to support this great site.

If they haven't signed up for one of the reasons above, I don't think that being able to log "I met" on a cacher, or any of the other nice things we can come up with (6 degrees, mapping, etc.), is going to push them over the edge for buying a premium membership.

If it were ADDITIONAL to purchase these features (say an extra $5 per year) then I can see how that would make a difference to the main headquarters and to the capital funds, but with all of the other great features already available to premium members, I just don't see "6 degrees" as bringing in that much more revenue.

If you really want to make a perk out of something like this, let the premium members play around with it for 3 months prior to the mass release, but then release all of the features to the general public. What you'll see then are people that want to TRY IT OUT will pony up and maybe it will push them over the edge into buying premium membership.

After all, one of the perks of Premium Membership is...

You are the *first* to see new features

Occasionally new features will become available before the general public can see them. Be the first to play with new gaming concepts before everyone else.

Edited by Markwell