Feature Concept - The Social Find

Jeremy

I stand by my original remarks about pocket lint (aka pocket caches). I do, however, acknowledge the benefit that this concept has for breaking the ice at functions and improving the overall community feel.

We've been playing around the idea of a Social Find - that being a way that you can log individuals instead of caches. The concept goes like this:

Every user has their own unique code that they create for themselves. When they meet another geocacher in person, they give out their secret code. The other geocacher can return to the web site and enter the code to collect that geocacher's name on a social find list.

This would be on the honor system not only for the findee but also for the finder. In other words if you share your code to someone you never met in person it would be considered a no no but - how can you prove it? And I don't think we need to be the social police either.

Some ideas:

1. The geocacher would be able to change his/her code at any time

2. Goofy tasks to get the code once you meet them should be ok (but that task should be the same for everyone)

3. The code should be rated G

4. This feature would be available to all users, but we're looking for ideas to add additional premium member features.

Thoughts?

(edited #4 since it is more likely now that this will be available to everyone)

Edited by Jeremy

I'm not saying it would ever happen, but say I met you, got your code, and just for fun before I got home to log it, you changed your code?

2. Goofy tasks to get the code once you meet them should be ok (but that task should be the same for everyone)

Family friendly taskes I hope.... :laughing:

4. Any geocacher can log a user but only Premium and Charter members can generate their own codes.

Bonus points if a non premium/charter logs a premium or charter?

Would this kind of thin out personal TBs or log a person with their code and as a TB??

Would entering the code also allow the person to upload a picture?

Good idea. The logging features could mirror how the other logs work (with pictures). Unless the user requires it I doubt you'd need a photo to log though.

I'm not saying it would ever happen, but say I met you, got your code, and just for fun before I got home to log it, you changed your code?

Just email and get the new code.

Would this kind of thin out personal TBs or log a person with their code and as a TB??

Possibly, but it does formalize (and create new features for) this idea, much like the all finds pocket query can replace a personal travel bug.

4. Any geocacher can log a user but only Premium and Charter members can generate their own codes. (Sorry... we have to support the site somehow).

Thoughts?

Sounds neat to me. But set me straight on #4.

Say I made my code "catfish." Being a premium member, I can make the code something simple. At an event or while out caching I meet a non-premium member and give them my code so they can log me. I will be able to log the non-premium member, but would I have to use a code randomly generated by Groundspeak like "cx17ba4q"?

4. Any geocacher can log a user but only Premium and Charter members can generate their own codes. (Sorry... we have to support the site somehow).

Thoughts?

Sounds neat to me. But set me straight on #4.

Say I made my code "catfish." Being a premium member, I can make the code something simple. At an event or while out caching I meet a non-premium member and give them my code so they can log me. I will be able to log the non-premium member, but would I have to use a code randomly generated by Groundspeak like "cx17ba4q"?

No. Only premium members can be logged.

Thoughts?

Seems like the concept is one sided where both would have to exchange codes and both would have to enter the codes into the site. In reality, they both met each other. Conceivably, the site could show one cacher met a person and that other person didn't meet the original person.

Also, you'd still have the "lists issue" where folks could pass around lists. Then the person whose code has been passed around has to explain why he's deleting logs and would have the change the code.

I detailed in another thread a way that would eliminate codes, the one-way aspect, and any need to delete logs. I'll recap: a link on the profile page that a visitor clicks to indicate they've met the person whose profile they're viewing. The profilee receives a message indicates someone met them and asks them to confirm it. Kind of like moderating the links instead of having to edit or delete them.

It's a two way street and it really doesn't matter which person initiates the link.

There is one element of this scheme that is both a positive and a negative. The other person has to acknowledge the link. The negative is that someone is denied a link if the other person drops out. The positive is that a person can not claim a link that the other person doesn't acknowledge.

Also, this will work without folks having to pass around codes and can be retroactive all the way back to whenever without having to try to remember who met, forgetting you met someone (because they might remember and remind you), and a lot less hassle.

The real difference between the two schemes is yours is front-loaded with the confirmation code and mine is rear-loaded with a manual confirmation.

Heh, then we could have PQ's on cachers in the local areas just like we have for caches! it could be based on home coords or somthing like that but no maps(privacy!) but I think it'd be cool to know there's XX geocachers near Zip XXXXX. :laughing: Just a thought. What do you think?

Only premium members can be logged.

I thought you said anyone could log anyone, but only premium members can change their code?

4. Any geocacher can log a user but only Premium and Charter members can generate their own codes.

I belive by #4 Jeremy meant that any user can "log" a personal code, however Premium and charter members would be the only ones who could create those codes for themselves and be logged.

Questions? Comments? :laughing:

EDIT: added a little more info to hopefully make it more clear.

Edited by PMaholm
I belive by #4 Jeremy meant that any user can "log" a personal code, however Premium and charter members would be the only ones who could create those codes for themselves and be logged.

Oh, please don't say this is how it's going to work. We'd be back to the whole MOC (in this case, Members Only Cachers) debate.

Thoughts?

Seems like the concept is one sided where both would have to exchange codes and both would have to enter the codes into the site. In reality, they both met each other. Conceivably, the site could show one cacher met a person and that other person didn't meet the original person.

Also, you'd still have the "lists issue" where folks could pass around lists. Then the person whose code has been passed around has to explain why he's deleting logs and would have the change the code.

I detailed in another thread a way that would eliminate codes, the one-way aspect, and any need to delete logs. I'll recap: a link on the profile page that a visitor clicks to indicate they've met the person whose profile they're viewing. The profilee receives a message indicates someone met them and asks them to confirm it. Kind of like moderating the links instead of having to edit or delete them.

It's a two way street and it really doesn't matter which person initiates the link.

There is one element of this scheme that is both a positive and a negative. The other person has to acknowledge the link. The negative is that someone is denied a link if the other person drops out. The positive is that a person can not claim a link that the other person doesn't acknowledge.

Also, this will work without folks having to pass around codes and can be retroactive all the way back to whenever without having to try to remember who met, forgetting you met someone (because they might remember and remind you), and a lot less hassle.

The real difference between the two schemes is yours is front-loaded with the confirmation code and mine is rear-loaded with a manual confirmation.

I know quite a few cachers that never enter the forums, and infrequently check their e-mail. If you needed them to confirm the find you might be waiting for months or ever cuz if their mailbox gets full they do bulk deletes.

How would your system handle this?

edit to add - If this is voluntary then we could assume that those that won't take the time to acknowledge a find won't get a code to start with.

Edited by Recdiver

Well, I'm sure there will be a list of the geocachers you've met. On that list will be those that have initiated the link and you've not handled one way or the other. The ones you've not confirmed or denied could be in a contrasting color or some other highlight scheme.

In the meantime, the initiator will just have to wait.

EDITED TO ADD: Also, on that list could be shown those you've initiated and the other person hasn't responded in a different contrasting scheme. It works both ways.

Additionally, with the initiated/confirm scheme it would encourage interaction after the fact. "Hey, you say you met me at Joe's Event. I'm sorry I don't remember." "Yeah, I'm the guy with the goofy hat." "Oh, yeah, Now I remember! Cool beans. Say, what do you think about getting together later..."

Edited by CoyoteRed

Thoughts?

I shared mine 4 days ago. :laughing:

Trying to be constructive, I came up with an idea that seems to me to be the answer to the Pocket cache Controversy.

A great way to do Pocket caches is to add it as a feature to track the Geo-Cachers that you meet. Instead of “I Found” it would be “I Met”

Then they could seperate Events and Pocket Caches off on a seperate tab called "Meets & Greets" or something. Then archived caches would be left alone and new Pocket caches could be created just for events.

Then the purest could attend a event every now ond then and not cheapen thier find count with attends and meets and the rest can carry on having fun.

What I have here is a win win situation for all, yet the lines have been so divided, no one is willing to make a compromise.

Events can have pocket, and temp caches with attend, met, and discovered logs.

With the separation to a different tab like the "trackables" the counts will be stripped from cache finds.

This is a step in the purest camp direction, making the shown find count a true reflection of "real world" finds.

And

Since it seemed apparent to me that people at GW4 were genuinely having a good time doing both the pocket and temp caches, I can't help but think people will still engage in these activities after they become "met" and "discover logs.

With the clarification that only premium members can be logged (because only they can generate a code to be logged in the first place), I think you know where I'll stand on this.

In contrast to Pocket Queries and the other passive benefits that are given to Premium Users (passive because they don't largely impact others' ability to geocache)...you're going to create a star-bellied sneetch system where I can only claim to have met the people who pay you for the star on their chest?

Is there a better way to offend those that won't be able to social-cache all of their friends AND have to be seen as some how more elite in-person because you *can* social-cache them but they can't social-cache you back?

--

CacheMeisterX: It's been great getting to know you! Want to add me to your social-cache list?

SirCacheRunnerY: Sure! What's your secret word?

CMX: "babyspit"..hahaha. What's your's?

SCRY: I don't have one, I'm not a premium member. :laughing:

CMX: Oh. Well then. Um, cya.

--

It's one thing to not be able to do a MO cache. Hey, you can't get them all and it's just a geocache. It's a different thing to not be able to list all your friends because some of them don't pay for a membership...and to socially tier everyone at a gathering as to whether they can provide you with a secret word for the social-cache system.

I think you should generate incentive for paid membership through some other perk of this system if you have serious ideas about implementing it. Allow everyone to, at the minimum, be "met" and "meet" people.

Edited by ju66l3r

edit to add - If this is voluntary then we could assume that those that won't take the time to acknowledge a find won't get a code to start with.

You'd have to actively create a code in order to be logged.

And yes... For clarification you can only create a code if you are a premium or charter member, but anyone can log that premium or charter member.

I like the idea but think that in order for it to work that if one cacher logs another cacher both cachers should get credit for the meet. That way if I meet a newbie that isn't a premium member yet when he/she logs me then she/he shows up on my met list also.

Other than that I think it is a great idea.

Thoughts?

I know quite a few cachers that never enter the forums, and infrequently check their e-mail. If you needed them to confirm the find you might be waiting for months or ever cuz if their mailbox gets full they do bulk deletes.

Instead of doing it via emails, how about a list of users awaiting meet confirmations on your account quick view on the right sidebar? Or, if the list oif users you'v emet will be in a tab, put the pending cofirmations links there too.

I like the idea but think that in order for it to work that if one cacher logs another cacher both cachers should get credit for the meet. That way if I meet a newbie that isn't a premium member yet when he/she logs me then she/he shows up on my met list also.

Other than that I think it is a great idea.

I think this is where CR's method has merit - either way it's initiated, it could count on both.

Maybe, to address Jeremy's Premium Feature desires, instead of having the "meet" be a MO feature, the list of met users would be live links to profiles for premium members but only static lists to free members. Maybe someone else can come up with other premium add-ons.

EDIT: Was already working on it, SQ. Heh.

Potential incentives for paid membership (instead of this idea that only PMs can be met in person):

* Card templates for printing out official "Hi, nice to meet you! My secret code is XYZ!" Geocaching.com cards.

* Only paid membership allows you to browse a webjava "8 Degrees" association map and do "8 Degrees" lookups between two cachers

* Only paid membership will allow you to see a map of where you've met people at

* Paid members can jot a "note" down for the people they've met such as reminders of what the meeting was like or whether they enjoyed meeting that person

Let's face it. Non-premium members being able to be met and alter their passphrase (necessary to prevent passphrases getting passed around ex parte) is a drop in the computing/cost bucket compared to the image storage, log storage, routine geocaching that is allowed for free members. Make the "incentive" above and beyond the basic social-greet system, just like with normal geocaching at the site...as opposed to considering the social-greet system as something above and beyond geocaching.

This is how Waymarking now works, right? You could have said "pay me a membership fee to go Waymarking...it's above and beyond normal geocaching!". You didn't and I think Waymarking is better for it. You can just as easily say "pay me a membership fee to geomeet people...it's above and beyond normal geocaching!" as you propose to do...but you shouldn't and I think geomeeting will be better for it.

Edited by ju66l3r

However it is done, I hope it is retroactive. I have met some people who aren't in this area anymore, and I met some cachers while on a recent roadtrip.

As long as they also remember meeting me ... :laughing: ... I would like them included in my list. :laughing:

This is a social log feature, not an I met feature. This is addressing the concept where you have to complete tasks to have a find for a user (even if it is just asking for a code). So as it is possible to have a mutual meeting, you are posting a log for that user instead. I see a distinct difference. It is possible it has to do with the ignorance of what a user log is, or what people call a "pocket cache".

However it is done, I hope it is retroactive. I have met some people who aren't in this area anymore, and I met some cachers while on a recent roadtrip.

It would be. As long as you met someone in person, being on the honor system you can just ask for their code (or offer yours).

It feels like paying members would be short changed by not being able to log a non-paying member. Kind of like a paying member not being to find a non-MOC.

Open it up to everyone to let the idea see its full potential.

Perhaaps this could be counteracted by having a stat to the effect of "I've been found XX times!" :laughing: just my thought.

We've been playing around the idea of a Social Find - that being a way that you can log individuals instead of caches.

Could we please discuss this topic without referring to logging someone and rear loading in the same post? :laughing: These forums are supposed to be family friendly. No wonder our president has to protect us from this kind of behavior. :laughing:

Back OT-I'd like to see this 'met you/social finding' concept become part of something a little bigger and more complex. One of the pocket lint caches that was shut down from GW4 was 'touch me feel me' that was sort of like geocacher bingo. You needed to get your game card of 25 squares signed by a cacher who fit one of the criteria in that square (from out of state, left handed), or performed that task (thumb wrestle, belly laugh). This is an idea way beyond a simple "I met you can I have your code?", and would continue to develop the social fabric of the geocaching community. The OP concept seems overly simplistic, like valentine's day in second grade to me.

Here's how I would envision the system to work:

1) 'BOB' meets 'JIM' while out caching

2) JIM is a premium member, BOB is not

3) BOB can log that he found JIM and maybe even get a cool "JIM" icon on his FOUND screen

4) JIM cannot log BOB, because BOB is not a premium member. Get with the program BOB!

The game would be to collect all the cool people icons, kind of like with geocoins. I do like the idea of JIM needing to verify that BOB found him before BOB gets the cool JIM icon. There could be a screen which displays a bunch of the icons with a link to view the log and a link to the persons profile.

Other non-premium Limitation ideas:

1) Allow BOB to be found, but not allow him to have a personal icon??

Just some thoughts.....

Would entering the code also allow the person to upload a picture?

Good idea. The logging features could mirror how the other logs work (with pictures). Unless the user requires it I doubt you'd need a photo to log though.

Often our meetings are captured in pictures. I bothered you incessantly for pictures during my recent visit to Seattle. So I would like the ability to upload images associated with this log type, regardless of whether a photo is required. And what if the logging task was a funny photo?

Would these logs be housed on the cache page, like for the event cache or epic cache hunt where the two geocachers met? Or would they exist in some separate, but indexed and searchable, space on the website? I'm having trouble visualizing how that part would work.

Back OT-I'd like to see this 'met you/social finding' concept become part of something a little bigger and more complex. One of the pocket lint caches that was shut down from GW4 was 'touch me feel me' that was sort of like geocacher bingo. You needed to get your game card of 25 squares signed by a cacher who fit one of the criteria in that square (from out of state, left handed), or performed that task (thumb wrestle, belly laugh). This is an idea way beyond a simple "I met you can I have your code?", and would continue to develop the social fabric of the geocaching community. The OP concept seems overly simplistic, like valentine's day in second grade to me.

The user can hold back the code until the task is complete. It seems to fit that design snugly. Or perhaps I'm missing something.

3) BOB can log that he found JIM and maybe even get a cool "JIM" icon on his FOUND screen

4) JIM cannot log BOB, because BOB is not a premium member. Get with the program BOB!

The game would be to collect all the cool people icons, kind of like with geocoins. I do like the idea of JIM needing to verify that BOB found him before BOB gets the cool JIM icon. There could be a screen which displays a bunch of the icons with a link to view the log and a link to the persons profile.

Just some thoughts.....

Nice explanation of the general idea. I see it as a separate tab on the profile instead of a tacked on find count.

An extension, I suppose, is that when you create a new code you can put a little note next to it. So when the user logs the code it marks them with the task they completed. Even though it would still count as a single find you can see how they acquired it.

Would this be a Geocaching only thing? Or could it be fit into Waymarking, too? Since Premium Member accounts work on both sites I guess this question is more about where the logs and stats would show up.

I realize that this feature idea has its roots in Geocaching Events, but as you know, there is already one Waymarking category which is based on the notion of social interaction (Geocaching Tour Guides). And I have to believe that someday there will be other social activities on the Waymarking site.

Would this be a Geocaching only thing? Or could it be fit into Waymarking, too? Since Premium Member accounts work on both sites I guess this question is more about where the logs and stats would show up.

I realize that this feature idea has its roots in Geocaching Events, but as you know, there is already one Waymarking category which is based on the notion of social interaction (Geocaching Tour Guides). And I have to believe that someday there will be other social activities on the Waymarking site.

I'd expect it would be a Groundspeak concept shared across sites. We're working in house to start joining the different features together into a universal profile.

Just some thoughts.....

Nice explanation of the general idea. I see it as a separate tab on the profile instead of a tacked on find count.

An extension, I suppose, is that when you create a new code you can put a little note next to it. So when the user logs the code it marks them with the task they completed. Even though it would still count as a single find you can see how they acquired it.

I like. So be ready next Monday?

The user can hold back the code until the task is complete. It seems to fit that design snugly. Or perhaps I'm missing something.

I guess I was trying to take the simple "met Bob" concept one step further and add a more complex activity beyond the code swap. If the idea is to really promote social interaction via some form of logging mechanism, this could quickly degenerate into just another form of number collection, and no real social interaction will come of it. Hence my slightly snarkey elementary school valentines day reference. Only the cool kids went home with a big pile of them. :laughing:

With this new feature will Groundspeak be taking a hard stance against pocket caches then?

We can start with taking a hard stance with hijacking this thread maybe?

Any interest in contributing to this thread? No? Then stop posting please. Thanks.

With this new feature will Groundspeak be taking a hard stance against pocket caches then?

We can start with taking a hard stance with hijacking this thread maybe?

Any interest in contributing to this thread? No? Then stop posting please. Thanks.

No hijacking intended. I like the feature. My understanding of what I read was that this feature was created due to the recent controversy. Bowing out of this thread remorseful.

Thoughts?

...I detailed in another thread a way that would eliminate codes, the one-way aspect, and any need to delete logs. I'll recap: a link on the profile page that a visitor clicks to indicate they've met the person whose profile they're viewing. The profilee receives a message indicates someone met them and asks them to confirm it. Kind of like moderating the links instead of having to edit or delete them.

I know this is waaay back in the posts, but I really like this idea over the "code words". I also think this should be open to both premium and regular members, as both can still attend event caches. The idea is to form a social network, which should be free.

If some capital gain is to be made, I prefer the idea of the personal travel bug (as some have already been implementing). Make it a physical object that travels like a travel bug, and maybe give it an icon that can be personalized as with the geocoins. Pretty cool concept, though.

Thoughts?

...I detailed in another thread a way that would eliminate codes, the one-way aspect, and any need to delete logs. I'll recap: a link on the profile page that a visitor clicks to indicate they've met the person whose profile they're viewing. The profilee receives a message indicates someone met them and asks them to confirm it. Kind of like moderating the links instead of having to edit or delete them.

I know this is waaay back in the posts, but I really like this idea over the "code words".

I don't. I don't like the fact that as the findee you have to run through many verification emails just to get someone to mark you as met. It's tedious and unnecessary. The code allows you to greet someone and offer them an easy way to log you.

I also think this should be open to both premium and regular members, as both can still attend event caches. The idea is to form a social network, which should be free.

I'm still not convinced.

If some capital gain is to be made, I prefer the idea of the personal travel bug (as some have already been implementing). Make it a physical object that travels like a travel bug, and maybe give it an icon that can be personalized as with the geocoins. Pretty cool concept, though.

The nice bit is you don't have to purchase anything - but if you wanted to make a personal item and stick a code on it, that would allow you to pass out your special item to people you meet.

Edited by Jeremy

I like it ... including the Premium/Charter member provision and a separate tab on the profile page.

I presume multiple finds of the same cacher will be against the guidelines. Will code be written to prevent it?

As far as goofy tasks ... well, that will be interesting.

©¿©¬

Edited by kcart

So the people find count would be separate from your cache find count. That's good to hear.

But how will the people finds be located? Coords from the event you met them? Will the meeting be tied to a cache somehow? Or will you just have a list of cachers names on your profile somewhere showing that you've met them and it won't show where?

Just some thoughts.....

There is one part I don't understand... Will Finding JIM increase BOB's find count by 1? It would be nice to make this a seperate piece that doesn't affect find counts. Similar to how finding a TB or geocoin doesn't increase your find count.

Sounds like a cool idea