You're Not A Geocacher Unless...

Funny, according to many of the emails I've received in the last week, you are not a geocacher unless you have a gazillion smileys in your stats. Or you're not a geocacher if you have more forum posts then smileys (notice I didn't say cache finds either time, because nobody else knows how many caches someone has found and not logged online). Or one is not a geocacher if they haven't logged someone's pocket lint.

I much prefer all the definitions I've seen posted here so far!

I was sooo hoping to be able to read just one, just one forum thread this week that didn't have that drek thrown around in it somehow. :laughing::laughing:

You're not a geocacher unless you have risen and left the house before dawn to get on the trails at sunrise, and stayed out there well past the sunset. :laughing:

You are not a geocacher unless , wilst driving down the road to any location you dont say to yourself or anyone else in the vehicle .... There's a cache over there , or things like ... that would be a good place for a cache ( I wonder if its private propertry)... or

spot a Yellow Jeep and point it out , round barn , or any number of the now decesed locationless items that you spot. .......

You are not a geocacher unless you spot a new cache has been listed at midnight and then get into the car and drive to BFE crash into the woods come upon what is a Wall of tree root with a pond there and get the Carp scared out of you only to log a DNF and come back in the daylight ... but you say anyway ... Man that was FUN!!!!

Star

Funny, according to many of the emails I've received in the last week, you are not a geocacher unless you have a gazillion smileys in your stats. Or you're not a geocacher if you have more forum posts then smileys (notice I didn't say cache finds either time, because nobody else knows how many caches someone has found and not logged online). Or one is not a geocacher if they haven't logged someone's pocket lint.

I much prefer all the definitions I've seen posted here so far!

I was sooo hoping to be able to read just one, just one forum thread this week that didn't have that drek thrown around in it somehow. :laughing::laughing:

Ya wanna see drek? I'll forward you the emails from some people that have even posted in this thread claiming someone is not a real geocacher unless he/she has some magical number of smileys or a certain "forum post to find ratio".

Just wondering why those people who seemed to feel very strongly (judging by the language in the emails) that way a few days ago haven't posted that in this thread? Like I said, I much prefer the other definitions posted myself.

If you are wheel chair bound, you can never be a cacher. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

I was driving my son home one night and I pointed to the side of the road and said, "There's a cache over there that I haven't found." He yelled, "Stop! Let's look for it!" I pulled his van over and he 4-wheeled his wheelchair across a bit of gravel and mud over to where we thought the cache should be. We found the cache. He can't find most of the caches I find but he'd surely love to do so. I wish this hobby had been around when he was young and unbroken. He would have loved it.

I'll start:

You're not a geocacher unless ... you have sat at the top of a mountain, cache in hand, enjoying a spectacular view after a long day hike.

Wait, hold on, I miss read this first post and didn't realize it was from Jeremy, so it must be the Gospel! Good thing I have sat on top of a mountain, cache in hand, and yes, I did enjoy the view. Whew, I;m a cacher! :laughing:

:laughing:

Must suck for anyone around where I live now, theres not a mountain in sight :laughing:

I'll start:

You're not a geocacher unless ... you have sat at the top of a mountain, cache in hand, enjoying a spectacular view after a long day hike.

Wait, hold on, I miss read this first post and didn't realize it was from Jeremy, so it must be the Gospel! Good thing I have sat on top of a mountain, cache in hand, and yes, I did enjoy the view. Whew, I;m a cacher! :laughing:

:laughing:

Must suck for anyone around where I live now, theres not a mountain in sight :laughing:

Butt-head: Beavis, I have seen the top of the mountain. And it is good.

small-bnb.gif

You're not a geocacher unless... you see the biggest smile on your grandchild's face after they finds their first cache on the beach, all the while watching the sun rise up over the ocean and explaining to her where the sun goes at night.

Its not the size of the cache, its the size of the smile the cache brings.

Well, Jeremy’s question appears -- to the untrained eye and the impatient and ever-restless mind -- to be simple on the surface, but yet in reality it is fraught with deep meaning, and any serious and sincere response consonant with integrity and with full immersion in the relativistic amanuensis, as, of course, as it bisects the muse, must emerge forth organically from the psyche and the soul, modulated by the heart, will demand a soulful memory-tolerance of anamnesis, indeed, it will require a deftly-guided extended meditation on focus, style, remembrance, soul-mission, time, and technology, yielding a rich and organic and nearly orgasmic but yet stable and remarkable and yet dynamic fruition of the dialectic. Indeed, any serious discourse would almost unerringly read much like the musings of Jacques Derrida in his classic work Archive Fever 10, and yet must deftly wend through at decontextualized archetypal but post-colonial immersive protocol, yielding perhaps, nay, surely, an immersive stance, one which does not neglect Mogenson's archetypal psychology, else the discourse become moribund and even fecund.

And so, allow me to make perhaps a feeble effort at answering this seemingly solid and sound but truly intangible and apocryphal question, one which I am sure wrenched itself from the heart and soul of its author with an audible rending tear, and to which any serious repartee by any other than a dilettante or a poseur would demand that we would invoke the soulful memory-tolerance of anamnesis, suppression into unspeakables and hyponmesis, the latter of which I posit is only possible within a theology of absolute-others and in the sublime and yet at-times horrific company of technology, much as referenced by Derrida in Archive Fever 9 Further, any such serious endeavor will suggest that an immersive, rather than controlled, dialectic may well be an inherently self-negating anti-structure of psychological experience, dialogical rather than dialectical, that avoids domestication of otherness, moves through tragic incommensurability and, most importantly, allows moments of embodied convergence between the decontextual/ahistorical and the contextual/post-colonial venue.

And so, proceeding with my inquiry, which is transcendentally and concomitantly a comprehensive cognitive and soulful response to the question posed to our intimate linguistic community by Jeremy about none other than the soul of our passion, the nectar of our addiction, the ripened and lusty frit of our endeavors and yearnings, I am moved to observe that we must of necessity here stray into the realms of archetype and archives, simultaneously treading somewhat lightly and yet with cognizance in the realms of the unconscious, the formative ethos, the etheric influences perhaps best cited by the German mystic Rudolf Steiner and yet not ignored -- nor belittled -- by the theologian Teilhard de Chardin in his musings on Cyberspace and the Dream, all the while under the baleful and knowing gaze of Karl Rahner, who would, of course, realize in an instant that this dialectic imbues and expresses – and also, strangely negates in negative space and Kantian spherical geometrics -- none other than the tension of the foundations of faith squared off against the pacification offered by technology, all the while mindful of the decontextual and historical post-colonial dialogical – and yet incommensurable – tragic thesis that the anti-tragic fear of destruction is intrinsically connected with the concept of the archive coupled with the notion of the outside, which, represents – in a limited closed universe and also in Hegellian space -- the demand created by geocaching as it established itself as the archon, the exterior place where the archives need to be placed and conceptualized according to an ineffable and yet inviolable and intrinsic Law. Without this projection of an exterior image, an object, if it were, a cache, so to speak, there would be no archive, and thus there would be no geocache for the geocacher to seek and in intimate linguistic community of geocachers to contextualize the experience and allow projection beyond self-negating anti-structure onto the broader canvas of experiential and God-driven paradoxical immerssive hyponmesis which is simultaneously dynamic and dymanic, yet strangely manic when considered in the light of the third evolution of the second instance of the fourteenth iteration of benevolent universe hypothesis of the Christian mystic Father Theophane.

And so, the above-referenced dialectic neatly leads to the summa of my thesis, namely that there is nothing outside the cache, there is nothing but logging a find or a DNF or a log, preferentially in both the object world and in the projected image world of online community and discourse, wherein we witness the employment and yet the exigesis of writing as supplement and also as a capstone watershed for the soul and psyche in establishing a synthesis based on analysis and on the search, wherein an endless chain of substitutive signification with differential references is nearly and neatly forced, in the psyche of the geocacher in the field, to question the relation of technological tool – namely a GPS receiver -- to the supplement, to this need to fill the void, and so I would like to address the question to our innermost psyche, to our innermost Consciousness, and the answer that shouts forth from the silence and stillness is simply that “Geocaching Is”.

And, with that final synthesis and exposition, I must wind my discourse and my reply to a close.

there is no spoon...... dood

From some moron in the magazine:

that's a tad harsh - don't you think?

DISCLAIMER: The following statement is not meant to be an attack or insult!

....unless you wrote it and are trying a bit of self deprecating humor?

He wrote it. I'll chastise him properly at the next meeting that he shows up for.

Which brings me to the subject. You are not a cacher unless you've read Today's Cacher and you are a premimum member of Geocaching.com

El Diablo

"You're not a geocacher unless...". This phrase implicitly requests the proof that:

Given some action/event has occurred, you now consider yourself a geocacher.

The definition of that action/event results in the completion of the original phrase. Too simplistic of an action/event, particularly one unrelated to the activity of geocaching one could easily presume, would not accurately complete the statement. For example, "You're not a geocacher unless you've been outdoors" encompasses a number of people who have not even heard of geocaching and so it is difficult to acceed to them being known as a "geocacher" as a result.

Instead, one should presume the action/event of "geocaching" would be therefore necessary to give rightful claim to the term "geocacher". The actions and events that compose geocaching are far too variable to select any one or even few components and call them as valid as the whole. The result is that "You're not a geocacher unless...you geocache".

Put into a more familiar phrasing:

I geocache, therefore I am a geocacher.

In that way, each time we geocache we define what it is to be a geocacher. Our existence as a geocacher is only as good as the self-evidence that our consciousness provides us upon introspection as to whether we've geocached, no more and no less.

Don't you have some studying to do?

:laughing::laughing::laughing: Hi Juggs, man I've missed your meaningful posts. Don't stay away so long ... this community needs you.

Well, Jeremy’s question appears -- to the untrained eye and the impatient and ever-restless mind -- to be simple on the surface, but yet in reality it is fraught with deep meaning, and any serious and sincere response consonant with integrity and with full immersion in the relativistic amanuensis, as, of course, as it bisects the muse, must emerge forth organically from the psyche and the soul, modulated by the heart, will demand a soulful memory-tolerance of anamnesis, indeed, it will require a deftly-guided extended meditation on focus, style, remembrance, soul-mission, time, and technology, yielding a rich and organic and nearly orgasmic but yet stable and remarkable and yet dynamic fruition of the dialectic. Indeed, any serious discourse would almost unerringly read much like the musings of Jacques Derrida in his classic work Archive Fever 10, and yet must deftly wend through at decontextualized archetypal but post-colonial immersive protocol, yielding perhaps, nay, surely, an immersive stance, one which does not neglect Mogenson's archetypal psychology, else the discourse become moribund and even fecund.

And so, allow me to make perhaps a feeble effort at answering this seemingly solid and sound but truly intangible and apocryphal question, one which I am sure wrenched itself from the heart and soul of its author with an audible rending tear, and to which any serious repartee by any other than a dilettante or a poseur would demand that we would invoke the soulful memory-tolerance of anamnesis, suppression into unspeakables and hyponmesis, the latter of which I posit is only possible within a theology of absolute-others and in the sublime and yet at-times horrific company of technology, much as referenced by Derrida in Archive Fever 9 Further, any such serious endeavor will suggest that an immersive, rather than controlled, dialectic may well be an inherently self-negating anti-structure of psychological experience, dialogical rather than dialectical, that avoids domestication of otherness, moves through tragic incommensurability and, most importantly, allows moments of embodied convergence between the decontextual/ahistorical and the contextual/post-colonial venue.

And so, proceeding with my inquiry, which is transcendentally and concomitantly a comprehensive cognitive and soulful response to the question posed to our intimate linguistic community by Jeremy about none other than the soul of our passion, the nectar of our addiction, the ripened and lusty frit of our endeavors and yearnings, I am moved to observe that we must of necessity here stray into the realms of archetype and archives, simultaneously treading somewhat lightly and yet with cognizance in the realms of the unconscious, the formative ethos, the etheric influences perhaps best cited by the German mystic Rudolf Steiner and yet not ignored -- nor belittled -- by the theologian Teilhard de Chardin in his musings on Cyberspace and the Dream, all the while under the baleful and knowing gaze of Karl Rahner, who would, of course, realize in an instant that this dialectic imbues and expresses – and also, strangely negates in negative space and Kantian spherical geometrics -- none other than the tension of the foundations of faith squared off against the pacification offered by technology, all the while mindful of the decontextual and historical post-colonial dialogical – and yet incommensurable – tragic thesis that the anti-tragic fear of destruction is intrinsically connected with the concept of the archive coupled with the notion of the outside, which, represents – in a limited closed universe and also in Hegellian space -- the demand created by geocaching as it established itself as the archon, the exterior place where the archives need to be placed and conceptualized according to an ineffable and yet inviolable and intrinsic Law. Without this projection of an exterior image, an object, if it were, a cache, so to speak, there would be no archive, and thus there would be no geocache for the geocacher to seek and in intimate linguistic community of geocachers to contextualize the experience and allow projection beyond self-negating anti-structure onto the broader canvas of experiential and God-driven paradoxical immerssive hyponmesis which is simultaneously dynamic and dymanic, yet strangely manic when considered in the light of the third evolution of the second instance of the fourteenth iteration of benevolent universe hypothesis of the Christian mystic Father Theophane.

And so, the above-referenced dialectic neatly leads to the summa of my thesis, namely that there is nothing outside the cache, there is nothing but logging a find or a DNF or a log, preferentially in both the object world and in the projected image world of online community and discourse, wherein we witness the employment and yet the exigesis of writing as supplement and also as a capstone watershed for the soul and psyche in establishing a synthesis based on analysis and on the search, wherein an endless chain of substitutive signification with differential references is nearly and neatly forced, in the psyche of the geocacher in the field, to question the relation of technological tool – namely a GPS receiver -- to the supplement, to this need to fill the void, and so I would like to address the question to our innermost psyche, to our innermost Consciousness, and the answer that shouts forth from the silence and stillness is simply that “Geocaching Is”.

And, with that final synthesis and exposition, I must wind my discourse and my reply to a close.

WHOA, That's heavy man! :anibad::P:P:):wacko:

You know your a geocacher when.... you have to phone a fellow geocacher to get the Rangers to get you out of the park. And then take their pictures while everyone is laughing about it.

Afterall it's not a real good day geocahing with the Mafia until there is law enforcement involved somewhere. :anibad:

Edited by Lehigh Mafia

Well, Jeremy’s question appears -- to the untrained eye and the impatient and ever-restless mind -- to be simple on the surface, but yet in reality it is fraught with deep meaning, and any serious and sincere response consonant with integrity and with full immersion in the relativistic amanuensis, as, of course, as it bisects the muse, must emerge forth organically from the psyche and the soul, modulated by the heart, will demand a soulful memory-tolerance of anamnesis, indeed, it will require a deftly-guided extended meditation on focus, style, remembrance, soul-mission, time, and technology, yielding a rich and organic and nearly orgasmic but yet stable and remarkable and yet dynamic fruition of the dialectic. Indeed, any serious discourse would almost unerringly read much like the musings of Jacques Derrida in his classic work Archive Fever 10, and yet must deftly wend through at decontextualized archetypal but post-colonial :) immersive protocol, yielding perhaps, nay, surely, an immersive stance, one which does not neglect Mogenson's archetypal psychology, else the discourse become moribund and even fecund.

And so, proceeding with my inquiry, which is transcendentally and concomitantly a comprehensive cognitive and soulful response to the question posed to our intimate linguistic community by Jeremy about none other than the soul of our passion, the nectar of our addiction, the ripened and lusty frit of our endeavors and yearnings, I am moved to observe that we must of necessity here stray into the realms of archetype and archives, simultaneously treading somewhat lightly and yet with cognizance in the realms of the unconscious, the formative ethos, the etheric influences perhaps best cited by the German mystic Rudolf Steiner and yet not ignored -- nor belittled -- by the theologian Teilhard de Chardin in his musings on Cyberspace and the Dream, all the while under the baleful and knowing gaze of Karl Rahner, who would, of course, realize in an instant that this dialectic imbues and expresses – and also, strangely negates in negative space and Kantian spherical geometrics -- none other than the tension of the foundations of faith squared off :wacko: against the pacification offered by technology, all the while mindful of the decontextual and historical post-colonial dialogical – and yet incommensurable – tragic thesis that the anti-tragic fear of destruction is intrinsically connected with the concept of the archive coupled with the notion of the outside, which, represents – in a limited closed universe and also in Hegellian space -- the demand created by geocaching as it established itself as the archon, the exterior place where the archives need to be placed and conceptualized according to an ineffable and yet inviolable and intrinsic Law. Without this projection of an exterior image, an object, if it were, a cache, so to speak, there would be no archive, and thus there would be no geocache for the geocacher to seek and in intimate linguistic community of geocachers to contextualize the experience and allow projection beyond self-negating anti-structure onto the broader canvas of experiential and God-driven paradoxical immerssive hyponmesis which is simultaneously dynamic and dymanic, yet strangely manic when considered in the light of the third evolution of the second instance of the fourteenth iteration of benevolent universe hypothesis of the Christian mystic Father Theophane.

And so, the above-referenced dialectic neatly leads to the summa of my thesis, namely that there is nothing outside the cache, there is nothing but logging a find or a DNF or a log, preferentially in both the object world and in the projected image world of online community and discourse, wherein we witness the employment and yet the exigesis of writing as supplement and also as a capstone watershed for the soul and psyche in establishing a synthesis based on analysis and on the search, wherein an endless chain of substitutive signification with differential references is nearly and neatly forced, in the psyche of the geocacher in the field, to question the relation of technological tool – namely a GPS receiver -- to the supplement, to this need to fill the void, and so I would like to address the question to our innermost psyche, to our innermost Consciousness, and the answer that shouts forth from the silence and stillness is simply that "Geocaching Is”.

WHOA, That's heavy man! :anibad::P:P:):blink:

Yes, I guess it is! However, I have no clue as to what I wrote! As you likely guessed, I wrote it as a spoof. :lol::ph34r: In this case, I wrote it as a spoof of the way that so many people in "advanced" academic fields tend to write. When I was in grad school, my on-campus job was to review the dissertation papers written by doctoral candidates for scientific soundness and sanity, and I would regularly encounter such gibberish in the papers!... :P:)

Anyway, it was fun writing that essay!

You've opened, closed and perhaps owned ammo cans - even if you've never owned a gun.

Actually, river kayakers and river rafters who are out on multi-day trips use ammo cans as makeshift toilets. And, everyone on a river trip tries to avoid sleeping at nite on the "latrine" boat, which contains one or more half-filled ammo cans, which usually kinda stink!

I'll start:

Wait, hold on, I miss read this first post and didn't realize it was from Jeremy, so it must be the Gospel! Good thing I have sat on top of a mountain, cache in hand, and yes, I did enjoy the view. Whew, I;m a cacher! :P

:)

Must suck for anyone around where I live now, theres not a mountain in sight :P

Butt-head: Beavis, I have seen the top of the mountain. And it is good.

small-bnb.gif

:anibad:

you've looked for a geocache...

everything else (finding them, hiding them, sitting on top of mountains with them, breaking the rules/guidelines, lecturing people on how to do it "the right way", spending time in the forums, etc.) is gravy...

Edited by NFA

Your not a geocacher unless........ For a first to find you wake up early drag the kids out of bed and head off to the cache drive your car on a dirt road that a car should not be driven on then Hike a mile to the cache with a 5 yr old on your back and a 3 yr old on your shoulders, and love every minute of it!

You're not a geocacher unless ... you’ve traversed a mountain, (stupid switchbacks) had a cherry seed spittin’ contest with your hiking pal while having breath taking views of Mt. Rainer as a back drop.

Geocache GCD

well that's just the short of it....

Pepper

Tahoma/Rainier is special.....

b25c3da2-37a7-4419-a890-3adef6aa9443.jpg

e1b54613-ee95-4e5b-bcf9-1123743c8a58.jpg

...spend about an hour looking for a cache, never find it but end up getting poked in the eye with a stick.

At the Emergency Room you can't wait to get home so you can log your DNF and tell the story to everyone!

Oh, and you spend more time telling the doctor about caching than about your stupid injury.

Bret

:blink: <--- I look like this all the time now

Ah so many excellent definitions of what a geocacher is.

I'd like to add:

You knew from the first moment you heard of it that you were born to do this.

You cannot stop caching. The more you find, the more you crave.

You "know" it is here somewhere and cannot leave. You try to leave and are pulled back again and again by the longing and the unfullfilled feeling of that container in your hand. Your logic is "well I'm here so I might as well stay till I find it.

Writing your Dnf logs is as much fun as your Found logs. Whether you found it or not, you are still satisfied that you were out caching.

You can't go anywhere without checking if you can cache as well

When everyone else is fleeing the park in torrential rains, you are the one heading in.

You are frustrated by puzzle caches you can't solve because they thwart your ultimate goal

You comminute your arm severly while caching and spend a few months unable to move and on demerol, living vicariously through the logs of others longing, aching to be out there. And the deep contentment when finally you can go for a T1.

You're not a geocacher unless...

You've done the dance and screamed like a little girl after you walked through a spider web at eye level.

You've walked up hills, down hollers, across swift moving streams, and through fields of tall, chigger filled green grass to find a tupperware tub full of McDonald toys and golf balls. And you forgot to bring a pen to sign the log.

You have the chigger/mosquitoes bites and the sign logs to prove it.

You spend a weeks pay to buy swag, GPS, batteries, and gas to go Geocaching. And your wife's happy to finally get you out of the house so she can have the computer.

Edited by Drgnsrealm

Ah so many excellent definitions of what a geocacher is.

I'd like to add:

You cannot stop caching. The more you find, the more you crave.

You "know" it is here somewhere and cannot leave. You try to leave and are pulled back again and again by the longing and the unfullfilled feeling of that container in your hand. Your logic is "well I'm here so I might as well stay till I find it.

Writing your Dnf logs is as much fun as your Found logs. Whether you found it or not, you are still satisfied that you were out caching.

You can't go anywhere without checking if you can cache as well

When everyone else is fleeing the park in torrential rains, you are the one heading in.

You are frustrated by puzzle caches you can't solve because they thwart your ultimate goal

You comminute your arm severly while caching and spend a few months unable to move and on demerol, living vicariously through the logs of others longing, aching to be out there. And the deep contentment when finally you can go for a T1.

(Bowing to the wise one) Yes, I would say you are definitely a geocacher. :blink:

May I add (oops I just did!) that you don't give a d*%$# how others play the game as long as you can look yourself in the mirror and up to your own scrutiny. And as long as they respect the integrity of the game piece and the environment which is critical to everyone's enjoyment.

Edited by MsChief Gps_y

Maybe not 'born to do this' but I knew the moment I heard of it, it was for me.

You've walked up hills, down hollers, across swift moving streams, and through fields of tall, chigger filled green grass to find a tupperware tub full of McDonald toys and golf balls. And you forgot to bring a pen to sign the log.

For me its: And just before you find the cache, you find the trail that you could have taken from the entrance.

Maybe not 'born to do this' but I knew the moment I heard of it, it was for me.

And just before you find the cache, you find the trail that you could have taken from the entrance.

Bwahahaha - YES!