Premium Member "vouchers"

BubbleDragon

Can this be done by sending the payments via paypal, and writing the subscription ID on a card? It seems this would cause it to automatically charge your card after the month's over.

I ask, because I think this might be a nice "higher end" trade to leave in caches. You know, enter this subscription ID to redeem a month of premium member services? Also a bit lighter on the backpack, and able to be slipped into a wallet, for those off-the-cuff caching days.

This would be a fantastic option!

Moving this to the Geocaching.com Web discussion forum.

The short answer is that a 1 year nonrenewing membership can be applied to any account. However I would suggest that you know the person pretty well since the membership is ultimately tied to you (though not as an account - just as by the paying person).

Moving this to the Geocaching.com Web discussion forum.

Thank you! Sorry about the forum mix up.

Perhaps something like this should be considered in the future, then - so that it isn't tied to any certain payer. :laughing: Like the cards apple gives out for free itunes credits.

The primary reason for some people making their caches premium member only is to protect their caches from cache thieves. I definitely see the benefit in making something like this possible but am apprehensive about making untracable premium member upgrades as an official option.

(granted, cache thieves can get around the member only caches but I'm illustrating perception).

The primary reason for some people making their caches premium member only is to protect their caches from cache thieves. I definitely see the benefit in making something like this possible but am apprehensive about making untracable premium member upgrades as an official option.

(granted, cache thieves can get around the member only caches but I'm illustrating perception).

Could there a way to require the "upgrade" user to supply a CC number to enable tracing? Maybe the "upgrade" user would have to pay for 1 month ($3), but receive a full year's worth of premium membership?

The only downside to that plan is that most of the FTF'ers (in my area anyhow) are already premium members- thus, they would not need such a prize, and it would stay in the cache until a non-premium member pulls it out...

Just my thoughts...

Happy Caching!

Jeff

Upgrades could just tack on additional time to your membership. For example, if you have 3 months remaining and redeem an upgrade certificate you would end up with 15 months remaining.

Edited by Stunod

Can this be done by sending the payments via paypal, and writing the subscription ID on a card? It seems this would cause it to automatically charge your card after the month's over.

I ask, because I think this might be a nice "higher end" trade to leave in caches. You know, enter this subscription ID to redeem a month of premium member services? Also a bit lighter on the backpack, and able to be slipped into a wallet, for those off-the-cuff caching days.

Are you suggesing something like a gift certificate?

Are you suggesing something like a gift certificate?

Yes! I just thought one specifically for for a month of membership would be good because they're reasonably priced and all that. As cool as it'd be to find a $1 certificate in a cache, I don't think that it'd be so nice to handle that in any sort of Groundspeak database in the store.

I'm thinking of Slashdot when they added subscriptions. Soon after, there was enough interest that they added the ability to "gift" subscriptions to others, either knowingly or anonymously. It is a one-time thing; when the subscription expires, the person who gave the gift isn't charged to renew. It's up to the giftee if they want to continue or not, and then they'd have to pay out of their own pocket.

This would be a cool idea: Pay $3 or $30 and be able to print out a "coupon" with a single-use code on it. Whoever has the code can enter it in and either get Premium features or if they are already a Premium Member, to extend their membership. The code could obviously also be emailed to someone as a gift. Once used, the code would expire so a caching team who found the coupon couldn't pass it around to the whole group.

That membership would not be tied to the original purchaser's account, so if the finder chose to extend their subscription, they'd have to pony up out of their own pocket.

Why not have Jeremy and Geocaching.com print out their own 'Geobucks', say in a book of $5, $10, or $20, at a $1.00 per Geobuck.

We could have Jeremy's likeness in the center, and the Geocaching logo on both sides. They could be numbered, and printed in such a way so they couldn't be copied.

The Geobucks could then be used to buy anything in the Geocaching store, and online for Premium membership.

It would make great swag, and if someone was able to save up enough 'Geobucks', they could buy something sweet, like a new GPS.

Or a great T-shirt.

I have my eyes set on a sweet red roadster. I wonder how many Geobucks I would need? It has GPS navigation... :laughing:

Edited by Drgnsrealm