Nacaya's Personal Coin

Nacaya

The disparaties between arrival times in the States and Canada is really weird. We got ours (in California) about a week ago, while others much closer to Germany haven't gotten theirs. I placed an order for two more last week, just before Nacaya left on a three-week vacation. It'll be interesting to see if they arrive before some of the original orders get to their destinations :( It has to be assumed that the problem is in the delivery system, although it could be that Nacaya just missed an order somewhere along the line.

I shipped a lot of geocoins to USA and Canada.

The shipping times from Europe to oversea are between 4 (!) days and 6 (!) weeks, so if it takes a little longer, just relax and wait.

By the way from over 500 mailings worldwide only 4 were lost...

Ron

So have I, but my story is a bit different

In about 50 trades over the past 1,5 year I never lost a shipment.

You can imagine I was unpleasantly surprised, when shipping my personal coins, to loose 12 shipments (all overseas) of a total of 225. (of which about 120 overseas.)

I shipped all the coins the same way I have always done: priority airmail in a sealed bubble envelope with a CN22 form.

It took some coins only 10 days to arrive, in some cases even 10 weeks!!

They say it could have had something to do with customs holding them back, because of the shape of the coin, I don't know.

Nevertheless, replacing cost me all my spare coins and more. (almost 40 coins + shipment) :laughing:

This has been my observation on coins mailed to the states from overseas.

Due to the cost of shipping most of these packages are mailed in a much thinner mailing envelope from what has been generally used within the US. Add to this the coins are usually in a thin ziplock type of bag and placed directly in the mailing envelope. I reallize much of this is to keep the wieght down to get the best postage rates but this also results in package that in more susceptible to damage/loss.

As a sugestion it might be usefull to wrap the coins in paper and tape them to the inside of the envelope. This way if the package does open up the coins will not fall out and you are not adding a lot of weight.

I will say that in my experience very few coins are lost in the mail compared to how many get sent. I base this on personal experience in that with over 600 packages sent and over 400 recieved I have only just now had 1 out of 2 coins in a package come up missing, which the owner has already replied that they will replace.

Team Sand Dollar

I have a sad update on this coin/thread, I received my FIRST torn mailer, Postmarked leaving The Netherlands on 08/04/06 so 29-30 days in travel. The mailer is SLIT across the complete top and a tear on the back side, a small amount of bubble wrap adhered to the inside corner of the envelope where the coins were evidently glued ? to the inside. Can take photos. It was defiantly a sorting machine of some type due to the fine slicing of the envelope, no coins to be found , I had ordered 2 Gun and 2 Silver from my records. Glenn :)

I think this is indeed due to the thin envelopes used coming from abroad as Team Sand Dollar has posted above..

Folks shipping from overseas please take time and efforts to use a bubble mailer and better methods of packaging when shipping to the States a plain envelope with coins enclosed does not seem fit.

Folks shipping from overseas please take time and efforts to use a bubble mailer and better methods of packaging when shipping to the States a plain envelope with coins enclosed does not seem fit.

I use exact the same bubble envelopes as Nacaya did, and as I wrote before: untill now from over 500 shippings only 4 were completely lost.

The bubble part is not glued completely to the paper part of the envelope, so it is easier to separate the plastic from the paper part which makes it recyclable. Recycling is one way how we try to reduce garbage and environment pollution in Europe.

I use exact the same bubble envelopes as Nacaya did, and as I wrote before: untill now from over 500 shippings only 4 were completely lost.

The bubble part is not glued completely to the paper part of the envelope, so it is easier to separate the plastic from the paper part which makes it recyclable. Recycling is one way how we try to reduce garbage and environment pollution in Europe.

This was NOT a bubble envelope it was a brown PAPER envelope, perhaps the coins were in a bit of bubble wrap,, but the envelope was not a TRUE BUBBLE mailer type, Glenn

Having recieved many coins from Europe I fully understand why these mailers must be lighter weight. Your postage rate are so much higher than sending from states wieght is a real issue.

I was not suggesting, in my post ,a more robust/heaver packaging of the coin as the added weight is just not exceptable. What I was suggesting is that the coins be taped to the inside of the package.

My package from Nacaya had been opened, not torn. In my case the end flap had opened up and 1 of 2 coins was missing. The one coin in the package was loose so I assumed the other one just slipped out. maybe taping the coins inside would have prevented this.

Nacaya has already contacted me a has agreed to send a replacement. My post was more as a lesson learned so that future shippers might not experience the same problems and need to replace lost coins.

Again those of us in the US must understand the the shipping rates from Europe are in my opinion outragous compared to the little it is costing us to send packages to Europe.

I know I have given the US Post Office well over $1000 for all the packages I have sent and I know that sending these same package from Europe would have cost me at least double. If I was sending from Europe I to would be using lighter packaging too.

Team Sand Dollar

Agreed postage from other county's are higher, nothing we can do about that and a shame , I broke out a scale the envelope that was sent to me weighed in at 0.04 OZ, A standard #000 lite bubble mailer is 0.05 OZ And the material is more robust. This slight difference would not effect the postage rate by far. 1 /100th of a ounce...

Also agreed is the coins were taped to the envelope that I received, the coins perhaps would have made it to me even with the envelope with the slit open top and tear, I'm not angry at all, so please don't take these postings in anyway that direction. Just want to help bring a solution to these possible happening to other people for future reference. I have hopes I will be contacted to attain replacement coins as I have emailed Nacaya.

Glenn :laughing:

Edited by glennk721

Wohoo, I didn't think it could take that long to ship the coins!

I'll be at home tomorrow again. Then I can tell you more about your coins (the file's on my laptop..).

@ chaosmanor

I am from Germany, yes. But I shipped the coins from the Netherlands. There it costs about 1/3 of the german shipping costs. And since the Netherlands are only 20 minutes (bus, bike) away.. 6 € (almost 8 $) for a letter with coins to the US is absolutely unacceptable.

@ glen

It was a Bubble mailer when it left me... Dunno how that could have happend..

Don't worry, everyone who ordered coins will get them. I promise.

@ Team Sand Dollar

I'm a 'she' :ph34r:

52010d0f-4919-451b-a497-acb4a4d72ce6.jpg

This is what the top of my mailer looked like when it arrived.

6696cdce-ddf0-47b8-b16f-8d37592263ef.jpg

This is what it looked like, minus the cut on the left side. It had been stamped by the postal service someplace along the way. Pretty abused and not very secure.

So much time had elapsed between the payment and arrival, I could not remember how many I ordered. :D

I see that the label on the outside says 8. The mailer arrived with five coins in it. :D Not trying to beat you up on the deal or anything, definitely not complaining, I have paid a lot more for a lot less, they are very nice. Thanks, Glen

Just checked my e-mail records. I ordered and paid on July 13th and have not yet received the coins here in western New York.

I received mine today. They look wonderful, thank you!

Oh, and thank you VERY much for including the activation codes with the coin. That was very nice indeed!

Edited by Ferreter5

Wohoo, I didn't think it could take that long to ship the coins!

I'll be at home tomorrow again. Then I can tell you more about your coins (the file's on my laptop..).

@ chaosmanor

I am from Germany, yes. But I shipped the coins from the Netherlands. There it costs about 1/3 of the german shipping costs. And since the Netherlands are only 20 minutes (bus, bike) away.. 6 € (almost 8 $) for a letter with coins to the US is absolutely unacceptable.

Thank you very much for the update! :D Based on my first order, they should be arriving within the next week or so. The time was quite long the first time, but then, they don't give stuff like this priority treatment, no matter where it's from, nor where it's going :P The good thing is that I see posts from folks as they've been getting them, so at least you know that they are arriving, if slowly.

Damned shame about Rattling Crew's package :D Our first order arrived in excellent shape, so have to assume that his package met up with a nasty sorting machine. Hope they give it the boot, or at least give it a stern talking to and put a reprimand in its personnel file :anibad:

I'm glad to hear that there are still cachers who get their coins (after about 6 weeks!). As you can imagine I'm not feeling very good about all the questions like 'I paid [insert date long time in the past here] but I didn't receive my coins. When can I expect them?'.. I definately didn't /don't want to be my first coin ever to be known as 'the coin that took ages to ship' :laughing:

After 6 weeks since being shipped, I had given these up for lost. But, they arrived today and they're great! Ya know? Ya hafta wonder, it should only take a week or maybe 2 to get here. Where the heck have these things been sitting for the other 4+ weeks? :) Guess someone made a wrong turn at Albequerque, and they ended up on that slow-boat-to-china!

Thanks Nacaya for the great coins!

52010d0f-4919-451b-a497-acb4a4d72ce6.jpg

This is what the top of my mailer looked like when it arrived.

6696cdce-ddf0-47b8-b16f-8d37592263ef.jpg

This is what it looked like, minus the cut on the left side. It had been stamped by the postal service someplace along the way. Pretty abused and not very secure.

So much time had elapsed between the payment and arrival, I could not remember how many I ordered. :unsure:

I see that the label on the outside says 8. The mailer arrived with five coins in it. :laughing: Not trying to beat you up on the deal or anything, definitely not complaining, I have paid a lot more for a lot less, they are very nice. Thanks, Glen

Hate to say this, but, I worked for the post office for a couple of years, delivering mail. Sorting machines don't do that. Postal workers do. Sorting machines shred paper and envelopes. Theiving postal workers neatly cut into them. Probably not at your local post office, but at a distribution center along the way. Dang shame there are people like that in the world. :laughing:

Chris sorry for the delay in writing, have not been on much life has been keeping me busy : - ) Glenn

These are a couple of photos of my incoming mailer not a stich of bubble material and completly empty , :lol: slice across top and torn on back ::

torn1.jpg

torn2.jpg

And a look at a more sturdy mailer that is minimaly differant in weight,::

mailermatch.jpg

For what it is worth, I got my second set of these today :-) They arrived in excellent shape, and the bubble envelope was completely intact :bad: Not bad for 1 Euro 30! No custom declaration goodie (not sure that such is needed, to be honest), but I *did* notice blue tape all around the outside. Thanks, Nacaya!

Sure hope that the problems reported above are the only ones. It is a shame that some people can't just do their jobs :bad: