Time To Archive?

I have just found out that one of my caches has been visited by someone who decided to take away the ammo can but leave the cache contents. This may have been a 'muggle' or perhaps (though hopefully not) anoher cacher.

As the cache has previously been left on open ground, I am wondering whether it might be a regular visitor to the spot in question.

Anyway, I cant decide what to do about the matter.

Replace the contents in a less desirable container?

Make a note on the listing to request no travel bugs or coins to be placed - incase it gets further light fingered visitors? - I'd hate it if anyones trackables got lifted from it.

Or should I just archive it and call it a day?

Has this happened to anyone else before?

Your comments are most welcome!

link to the cache

Had exactly the same issue, Ammo box gone, contents left in a plastic bag.

The location was great, the G:UK feedback was 4stars, but the cache had had 60 or 70 visitors, I thought I'd archive it and let someone else place one in the area.

Edited by Kitty Hawk

If you're prepared to replace it, I'd go along with Simply Paul's suggestion..

In your situation I'd replace the box with something less attractive to the passing muggle, several yards away from its old spot and change the co-ords and clue on the cache page. Always assuming I was still keen to bring people to the location, of course.

and maybe leave a note about not leaving TB's etc.

Can understand, if you decide to archive it though.

G

Edited by KandG

This has happened to two of my caches, Clumping Around and Uffington White Horse which are close to one another at around the same time.

This seemed like too much of a coincidence to be muggles. However, I replaced both caches in tupperware in locations close (but not identical) to the earlier ones, and both have survived for over a year since.

Since then I've taken to secretly marking my ammo cans :laughing:

In your situation I'd replace the box with something less attractive to the passing muggle, several yards away from its old spot and change the co-ords and clue on the cache page. Always assuming I was still keen to bring people to the location, of course

I concur.

Jon

This has happened to two of my caches, Clumping Around and Uffington White Horse which are close to one another at around the same time.

This seemed like too much of a coincidence to be muggles. However, I replaced both caches in tupperware in locations close (but not identical) to the earlier ones, and both have survived for over a year since.

Since then I've taken to secretly marking my ammo cans :laughing:

As the last person to log finding your Uffington White Horse cache when it was an ammo can, I have to say it wasn't me. I promise.

In your situation I'd replace the box with something less attractive to the passing muggle, several yards away from its old spot and change the co-ords and clue on the cache page. Always assuming I was still keen to bring people to the location, of course :anibad:

When some pillock stole the ammo can from my Dark Deeds at St. Mary's cache and left the contents in a Tesco carrier bag, I archived that cache and created a new one in the same general location.

Paul, I remember your mail worrying about Mk1 going missing after you'd visited so I know it wasn't you!

My point was less about worrying about loosing the odd Ammo can but that the replacement caches have lasted some time. I've lost several caches and cans through nearly 6 years of placing caches and it's an occupational hazard. :blink:

I agree with Dave Womble and SP, as a previous visitor to this superb cache it would be a shame to see it archived after one muggling attempt. I would put something back in its place, maybe a simple tupperware container and consider alternatives if it was muggled again.

One of mine was muggled earlier this week, luckily the whole thing was unopened and thrown 20 foot away from the cache placement, a kind cacher found it and replaced it for me. I think if its gets muggled again I will consider an alternative placement - or maybe switching it into a micro with final coordinates in it for the main cache - which I would hide somewhere more remote.

Cheers

Mark

Edited by Chaotica_UK

In view of the past comments, I have decided to temporarily disable this one until I can sort it out and replace the container.

I was considering archiving it, but response from the forum and by email have made me reconsider.

Thanks to all for comments and advice!

The new container might be and old crisp packet or a second hand sock - so shouldnt have much value to the thieving scum that took the ammo box!

The cache is still in the top ten in Avon on GCUK, so I think it'd be a shame to kill it due to this.

Keep watching - it will be back soon!

thanks again!

alas i have just lost one too - and mine was just a tiny lock n lock box. they took the box, the log book and the Tb but left the calling cards and a couple of other bits, and this particulat cache is in a very obscure place - you would be unlikely to notice it if passing by - as it is a bit of a climb LOL but still it went. I am of the same opinion, do I archive, and not bring people to a beautiful place or do I try again and hope the miserable bums have forgotten about it

im still planning on replacing the cache - infact i have the new one sat next to me just waiting to be dropped off!

its a plastic lock and lock box this time, though its been etched with my email address, has been marked with a uv pen and also contains a hidden secret homing pigeon that has been trained to alert me if the container goes walkabout again!

not so bothered now about the ammo can getting nicked - i guess they must have really needed it!

and theres always gonna be people who think their lives can be improved with an empty box.

sad, but true!

hope to get the cache back up in a couple of days!

im still planning on replacing the cache - infact i have the new one sat next to me just waiting to be dropped off!

its a plastic lock and lock box this time, though its been etched with my email address, has been marked with a uv pen and also contains a hidden secret homing pigeon that has been trained to alert me if the container goes walkabout again!

I used to have a ache hidden inside a secret homing pigeon.... yes, you guessed it, it got muggled!

I like nicking ammo cans :anicute:

please note - my secret stealth pigeon (as trained by the SAS) will fly in the face of anyone it feels has any desire to nick off with ammo cans, or other such containers. - its methods may contravene sections 2, 4 and 5 of the Public order act 1986 - but thats a matter for the courts (and your own imagination)

mess with the secret (and imaginary bird) erm if you dare!

or else just go to the cache and enjoy the location then put yr name in the log book, like most people have done. :P