Mm2004 Vs Mm2005

Hello fellow cachers from a newbie,

Just a quick question, are there any great advantages to upgrading to Memory-Map 2005?

I'm currently using 2004 and rumour has it, that you can't use use your 2004 maps if you switch!

Which would be a shame, putting it mildly - since I've got few local ones at 1:25k scale.

I use MM2004 on the PPC.

Thanks In Advance...

Yes, the 3D terrain viewing features are better and most importantly you can define a closed route (starts and ends at same waypoint) and then send the enclosed map area to the PDA. Enclosed map area doesn't even have to be rectangular.

Yes, the 3D terrain viewing features are better and most importantly you can define a closed route (starts and ends at same waypoint) and then send the enclosed map area to the PDA. Enclosed map area doesn't even have to be rectangular.

I'd agree fully with the above, the only thing I miss in V5, which was in V4, is the spin option in the 3D view; but I guess it was only a gimmick, so not a big loss really.

One other point - the "new" map segments are around three times larger than the old ones so probably will not work as complete maps in PDAs. As they're now almost giving away the V4 maps we recently bought the last few so we now have all the UK at rock-bottom prices.

One other point - the "new" map segments are around three times larger than the old ones so probably will not work as complete maps in PDAs. As they're now almost giving away the V4 maps we recently bought the last few so we now have all the UK at rock-bottom prices.

Where do you get these from ?

TIA

civilised

Where do you get these from ?

TIA

civilised

Ebay had them for about £15 a section

I can give you a short description from memory now and something more detailed later. Start by using menu option "Overlay -> Create > Route". Click on the map to define the first waypoint and then others until you have defined the shape that you want. Finally position the mouse cursor over the first waypoint and double click. It is this double click which joins the end of the route to the beginning and encloses an area of map.

You can if you wish then drag each of these waypoints around to change the shape or size of the enclosed area. I usually start by defining a small shape that fis on a single screen and then enlarge it by dragging the points

much further apart.

Finally, place the mouse cursor over one of the blue route lines and right click. A pop up menu will appear on which there is an option to transmit the enlosed map area. Select your PDA as the target device.

You can define a shape on a different scale map, say 1:250000 zoomed out then change maps to 1:50000 before exporting to export an area much bigger than the screen. I managed to get everything within 100 miles of London exported in one file this way (about 250Mb). I tried a box from dorset to the wash (about 350Mb) but that crashed the PPC application when opening it.