Seeking Good Crown Land Water Access Camping Spots With Geocaches

aka_tom_w

This one is an example of what I am seeking:

GC1307

boat access or hike in from marina. Excellent camping on crown land. Plan to spend the weekend if you can.

This cache is near the edge of the water on this beautiful northern lake. I was up here camping when I decided to setup a cache. I had to make it from what I could buy at the marina so it has a camping theme. The box itself is a little yellow fishing tackle box wrapped in a plastic garbage bag to provide camouflage. Most of the lake has cottages around it but along this one side are some really nice campsites. (please keep them clean!) Their is one close to this cache that I really enjoy, I hope you do.

Perhaps I can search for "camping crown land" I have not tried that yet.

I plan to place at least one geocache this summer on a good crown land camping

spot but I am looking forward to finding some new ones. (canoe or boat accessable of course)

any hints?

I am looking for geocaches on crown land with a "flat spot" for a tent and a fire pit

within 4 hours drive of Oakville Ontario.

I welcome all responses (even if you JUST have the GPS coordinates of such

a nice crown land place to camp that would be fine with me if you

would like to share <_<)

Thanks

aka_tom_w

Surviving Cinder Lake

You can see a full photo album HERE. (Cinder Lake is the 8th cache down on the list.)

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, since it is a single cache. However, I highly recommend it. The lake has marked wilderness camp sites, and it easily rivals Algonquin. Actually, it is better because it isn't overrun. The site we camped at had a thunder box.

This is crown land and it is wilderness -- as in NO development.

This should easily fit within your 4 hour criteria.

Thanks Dano!

That is EXACTLY what I am looking for BUT in this case

I have been there and I was looking for something new.

That is a GREAT area and somewhat unknown to most folks.

But anyone who has read any of Kevin Callan's canoe route

books should know about that area. It is undeveloped

and it is ALL crown land, and it at times on weekends

it can be A LOT more over crowded and busy than you might

otherwise expect. The last time I was there we were lucky

to get the last site available on Cinder Lake.

I have not visisted this cache, but I think I have camped

on the closest known camp site to that cache location.

Thanks for the info. If you know of any other good crown land

camp sites, perhaps we should stay in touch in e-mail.

Thanks!

-tom w

Surviving Cinder Lake

You can see a full photo album HERE. (Cinder Lake is the 8th cache down on the list.)

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, since it is a single cache. However, I highly recommend it. The lake has marked wilderness camp sites, and it easily rivals Algonquin. Actually, it is better because it isn't overrun. The site we camped at had a thunder box.

This is crown land and it is wilderness -- as in NO development.

This should easily fit within your 4 hour criteria.

Edited by aka_tom_w

You might want to consider 'Nunikani' (GC168C). It is 'best by a dam site', on crown land, with suitable camping space, and after a decent canoe trip across the lake from the public boat launch and marina.

It is within the former 'Frost Centre lands', and is now administered by the 'Algonquin Highlands Water Trails'. A modest camping permit is now required, which is available from the marina.

However, like most sites, it can get busy in the summer months. PS: there are extended canoe routes and other camping sites beyond this site.

edit - We went in with our 9.9 outboard this afternoon (about 20 min from the marina). Great picnic site. I'd allow an average canoist about 1 hour, and then 10 minutes walk/portage. 'Rough' camping near the cache. Lakeside camping site posted for three tents, just prior to the portage.

Edited by Bullfrog Eh-Team

Thanks Bullfrog :)

that's a good one.

here is another good one:

Bryn Island cache will require a canoe or kayak and an overnight stay. We (my friend Bryn and I) placed this cache without advanced planning while on a 5 day trip down the Magnetawan River from Maple Island to Georgian Bay (Byng Inlet). This island is in Island Lake, where we camped for two nights on the trip.

While there's a log book (rudimentary) we only had one pencil with us on the trip so you need to supply your own, sorry! There are much closer starting points like Harris Lake or Wawakesh Lake, but you'll have to camp, I don't think there's a one day round trip access point. The container is a 1/2 litre peanut butter jar which contains: logbook (no pencil), clothes-pin, and a bracelet.

Webpage for GCQ3WT

Sounds like a nice spot!

-tom w

here's another one: (sort of)

GCGX2K Webpage canoe/kayak cache

I don't think this one is on crown land but I can't be sure.

(found simply by using the geocache .klm file for Google Earth

and looking for green or orange geocaches in and around

nice locations to go paddling)

Another other hints or suggestions....

if you are reading this thread is there another forum or discussion board

somewhere where folks post GPS coordinates of GREAT camp sites

on crown land that you can get to by canoe?

I have not yet found the "holy grail" of web sites or web pages

or chat forums where folks post tips and experiences

about great (free) crown land canoe/kayak portage

and camp locations and camp sites.

any comments?

Thanks

tom w

Edited by aka_tom_w

WOW

thanks for all your hard work TomTech!

Do you have any crown land campsite favourites that

you like that have (or don't have, I don't care :( ) geocaches.

I am really just looking for nice free crown land camp sites

and you sure do have quite a list of locations there, but I am

not sure that all of them are nice free camp sites. Right?

do you have a personal favourite camp site or lake? or spot?

Thanks

-tom

Check out TOMTEC'S CANOE CACHES list.

He he, thanks for the plug Dano... I'm still working on that one! I've got a bunch more that still need to be added to it, and I still need to go through each and update their accessibility.

Cheers,

TOMTEC

Since you know Cinder Lake have you tried these on the other side of the highway?

South end of the Big East (GCNYHJ)

Big E (GCNX63)

There's a good tip. I didn't realize there were two caches on Big East Lake. It's a great lake with some really nice campsites. Many years ago, my wife and I spent an entire day following the shoreline (in a casual kind of way).

here's another one

this one is actually quite complete for a geocache GOOD info and coords

Crab lake route and GPS coords for parking and portages!

Posted coordinates above will bring you to the beautiful and easily accessible Crab Lake in the Kawartha Highlands. Crab Lake (aka Star Lake) can be found just west of Wolf Lake after a short 107m portage. To reach the public boat launch on Wolf Lake's eastern shore, turn left off highway 28, just south of Apsley onto Anstruther Lake Road (or follow coordinates provided below).

The entire round trip paddle is about 10 kilometres. The 5km trip from the Crab Lake bluff back to the van took us 1 hour exactly.

Bring your tent! There are a few Crown Land campsites found on Crab Lake. However, be warned they are first come first served and are known to attract all kinds of crowds from the peaceful paddler/naturalist to the biker/fisherman with his motorcycle mama and a boom box.

Coordinates of interest...

Public boat launch: N44 44.908 W78 09.691

Portage trail from Wolf Lake to Crab Lake: N44 43.730 W78 11.885

Portage trail from Crab Lake to Wolf Lake: N44 43.656 W78 11.877

Small bluff overlooking Crab Lake (close to cache): N44 43.478 W78 11.133

This maybe should have its own thread

but I thought I would stick in this thead to share it with the few folks who are interested in crown land campsites:

This is a link to a .kml / .kmz file for Google Earth that will display the entire length of the Bruce Trail on Google earth.

http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showflat.php/Ca...697/Main/317697

it has only been down loaded 38 time so far.

FYI

-tom w

Just popped back in and surprised you're still looking. Thought you'd be 'out there' by now. Two other caches on the same route - well within 'Crown Land' territory, and within 3 hours of the big smoke, would be:

GC1613 'Rocky Wilderness' and GCPP2E 'Herb Lake Cache'. They can be approached from Kawagama Lake or from Raven and Gun Lake. I understand there are camping spots at the south-west end of Herb Lake, as well as others. Check out the Haliburton Water Trails office at the Frost Centre for further details.

PS - Hadn't realized that canoists might go camping along the Bruce - Interesting !!

PS - Hadn't realized that canoists might go camping along the Bruce - Interesting !!

Well, I guess you could consider it one really, really, really long portage! I much prefer to paddle my boats, not carry them! :laughing:

TOMTEC

I have a new cache here but it has not been published yet:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...2a-6ddcafed7e5c

Am I the only one that can see this page:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...2a-6ddcafed7e5c

thanks

-tom w

Well, I guess you could consider it one really, really, really long portage! I much prefer to paddle my boats, not carry them! :laughing:

TOMTEC

Thanks for this list:

http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.a...fa-98a6b03ccef9

I hope to add a few more listings to it when they get published.

:-)

Are you there TOMTEC?

-tom w

hmm...

"Hi, I'm reviewing this cache for listing on Geocaching.com, but I have some concerns about it meeting the guidelines for placing a cache published at: (visit link)

The part I am concerned about is according to your profile, you live in Burlington -- approximately 300 km from this cache location. Caches need to be maintained, and that may be hard to do if you live far away. If the cache gets wet or damaged, you need to be able to repair, replace or remove the remains in a timely manner. Anything less and your cache becomes litter. This litter has the potential to give all geocachers a bad reputation, which is why the guidelines mentioned above state:

Placing Caches on Vacation/Beyond Your Maintainable Distance

Placing caches on vacation or outside of your normal caching area is unacceptable and these caches may not be approved. As the cache owner you are obligated to be in a position to manage your caches, and caches placed on vacation require someone else to maintain them for you. It is not uncommon for areas to be cleared, trails to be blocked or closed, objects used for virtual or multi-caches to be moved or removed, etc. You must be able to react to negative cache logs and investigate the location quickly. Please be responsible. This guideline applies to all types of caches.

The territory in which a geocacher is able to maintain caches responsibly will vary from one person to the next. An active geocacher who regularly visits areas hundreds of miles apart can demonstrate their ability to maintain a cache 100 miles from home. A geocacher whose previous finds and hides are all within 25 miles of their home would likely not see their cache listed if placed 250 miles away from their home.

If you have special circumstances, please describe these on your cache page or in a Reviewer Note. For example, if you have made arrangements with a local geocacher to watch over your distant cache for you, that geocacher’s name should be mentioned on your cache page.

Before this cache can be listed on the website, I need to know how this cache will properly maintained.

Thanks,

Cache-tech

Geocaching.com Volunteer Cache Reviewer"

I am not so sure what to do about this?

I have been on a few canoe trips and placed about 4 geocaches a LONG long way from home.

I have replied to this query with a suggestion that a "community" of geocache paddlers will work co-operatively to maintain distant (really remote) geocache sites.

Can anyone help out with this?

Thanks

-tom w

I am not so sure what to do about this?

I dont think this is the right place... You might want to start a new forum topic on this.

As a response though, It looks as though the reviewer may have some justifiable concerns. You are a fairly new player, with few finds, and a few hides. These hides seem to have needed maintenance due to poor containers.

When placing a cache that is off the beaten path, or far away, you want to make sure you will never have to go back there again :laughing: . Try using a Ammo Can container, as they will last for many years, and will survive the animal attacks that caches often suffer in the outback. A used peanut butter jar for instance still smells like peanut butter to a wild bear, and will make short work of it.

Assure the reviewer that you will be back once a year to check on the status of the excellent containment of the cache. But use a Bear proof container (hint - Bears are VERY strong)

Edited by Juicepig

The issue is whether or not you can maintain the cache should an issue arise. That is the local reviewer's duty. To ensure that you read and follow the guidelines. They are looking for proof that you can perform the committments that you said because something in your submission raised a red flag... in this case distance from the cache.

Some people are able to get out to a cache within a week and that is acceptable, or even a month. The point is that when you place a cache you are making a commitment to address any problems that come along since you agree to that when you clicked off the little boxes at the bottom of the submission page.

You, and you alone, are the person hiding the cache. Let's say that 6 months from now an animal destroys the cache because someone was foolish enough to put a cereal bar inside. Are you going to drive from Burlington to the cache that is 300 kilometers away then canoe in to repair it? What about remove it?

Yes you can say that there are other cachers that can fix it up, but you cannot rely on that to happen. That's your job as owner to go there and fix the problem.

Further, let's say the cache is near Algonquin Pronvincial Park... not in, just near it. Ontario Parks decides to revisit their ban on Geocaching. They decide to see how nearby caches are being managed. Yours has two logs on it referring to a damaged container that has been chewed by a wild animal, and worse yet that the owner hasn't bothered to visit the cache to fix it.

I'm not say you would do this, just saying things that have happened in the past.

Worse yet... a cache gets destroyed or damaged... and instead of going out to ensure a proper removal, the owner says "Naw, not worth the trouble... I'll just archive it".... guess what can happen then. Someone is out canoeing and happens upon the remains of the cache. They find the logsheet or cache note and now Geocaching is seen as an irresponsible activity where we all just leave our garbage behind when things go badly. Geocache becomes Geo-Trash. Whether someone finds it or not, it is now removed from being seen on the Geocaching listing pages and is now garbage in the wild.

Now here is the $64,000 question. Let's say Cache-Tech decides that you are too far from the cache and you cannot maintain it properly.... are you going to just leave it there, or are you going to go back up there and pick it up? I assume you have already placed it and are waiting for the reviewer to list it. That means the container is already out there.... are you willing to go pick it up if the listing is refused?

:shocked: The Blue Quasar

I am looking for geocaches on crown land with a "flat spot" for a tent and a fire pit

within 4 hours drive of Oakville Ontario.

I welcome all responses (even if you JUST have the GPS coordinates of such

a nice crown land place to camp that would be fine with me if you

would like to share :wub:)

Well, it's about as far from Oakville as you can get, and still be in Ontario, but I just placed two canoe-access caches near Kenora last weekend.... (plugplugplug)

These two are about three hours from Highway 17, and make for a really nice weekend trip. (There is also an Manitoba Geocaching Association coin as a FTF in "Troubled Bridge".)

Enjoy!

grnbrg.