Unwanted Spoilers In Cache Log

Hi, is there any way of deleting unwanted spoiler pictures that cachers have placed on our cache logs, without deleting the whole entry? We have contacted one guy in particular and his best effort has been to annotate each picture 'HUGE SPOILER'. This partially helps the situation, but now we have the magic 'pop-up' of pictures, potential cache visitors could easily reveal these and spoil the 'buzz' of the hunt/find.

Thanks in advance

Only the cacher who posted the log can delete or edit the pictures. You can ask them to do so. If you feel strongly about the picture you can delete their log which will delete their pictures as well, and invite them to re-log the find without the spoiler pictures. I'd email first before doing that, and give them a chance to delete the pic themselves. Editing the picture caption to HUGE SPOILER wouldn't satisfy me (personally) at all.

I agree with Isonzo Karst - I'd email the cacher and ask them to please delete the pictures. But, I'd also let them know that if they hadn't done so by a specific date, then I'd delete the log. They'd be also told that they were welcome to re-post their log without the pictures.

Labeling them "HUGE SPOILER" really isn't a fix.

Taking a contrary position, I believe 'spoilers' demand immediate deletion to prevent 'spoiling' the fun for future seekers (at least, those incapable of not peeping). Spoilers are the only reason a log should be deleted BEFORE e-mailing a request for content modification.

Edited by salmoned

He is fairly new to caching judging by his find count. He has posted photos of the cache containers and the spot where they were hidden for many caches he has done.

When you contacted him did you mention that most cache owners object to having photos taken of the cache container at the actual location?

When I take a photo of a clever container, I either make sure it isn't near the hide spot, or I just don't post that photo to the cache page. Other cachers will look at the photos. I know I will. I am just the kind of person that if I see something called a spoiler, I almost bite my tongue waiting for the photo to load so I can see it...I admit, I'm weak, and I just can't help myself.

If I were you, I'd write him back, explaining the custom politely, but clearly, and giving him a date to remove the spoiler photos. If you do end up deleting his posts, he will get a notice, and it will have a link to his previous post. He can go to it, copy and paste his old log and use that to post his new logs.

Edited by Team Neos

It used to be that the cache owner COULD delete photos posted by others. (I never noticed that the cache owner had since been stripped of this capability; I imagine this happened when they rolled over the new photo system awhile back.) I only used that option once when someone posted a complete giveaway on one of my own hides, but I think it would be nice to have that functionality back. "Hi, I just wanted to let you know I deleted one of your photos because..." will probably be better received than "Hi, please delete this photo or else I'll delete your log" would.

I agree it's generally bad form to post pictures of the cache or other complete spoilers...But the definition of "spoiler" is really in the eye of the beholder, and can vary considerably depending on the situation. For example, I don't really care if someone posts a picture of one of my ammo cans or, for that matter, where it was placed. I didn't hide an ammo can because I thought it was clever--I hid it because it was in a neat spot that I wanted to share with others. On the other hand, I'm going to pay more attention to my more creative hides because in that situation spoilers are going to kill more of the fun.

Some cachers--especially newer or less experienced people--may not have a good handle on those nuances. For them it's going to be a learning process, and I would handle these situations as tactfully and as helpfully as I could.

In the meantime, bear in mind that many of us--including myself--never even view the actual cache page until we're logging our finds/DNFs. Like many others, I almost exclusively view cache info in GSAK using pocket queries, so I wouldn't see the spoiler photo until after I had found the cache.