"911, What's Your Emergency?"

In case of bear or other large sharp-tooth animal attacks: A caching partner and a .45 auto with one round... Knee wounds tend to slow folks down a little.

For all emergency: I'll have what gof1 is having.

Get your own!

In case of bear or other large sharp-tooth animal attacks: A caching partner and a .45 auto with one round... Knee wounds tend to slow folks down a little.

For all emergency: I'll have what gof1 is having.

Reminds me of something my SCUBA instructor taught us about diving in shark waters...

1) Always dive with a buddy

2) Always dive with a knife

3) In case of shark, stab buddy.

In all seriousness, 99% of the caches around here, while not park-n-grabs, take less than an hour. I ALWAYS have at least one knife on me--a small leatherman micra multi-tool in my pocket, and a Gerber clip knife on the edge of the pocket for quick use. Other than that, a leatherman pulse multi-tool, maybe a fixed blade knife, and a cell phone are about the extent of what I carry with me---but with that I'm comfortable that I can 'fix' most injuries well enough to get back to the truck and get to true help.

If I can quit the funny stuff for a while. It depends on where I'm caching. I always have my cell phone.

For urban caches I always have my knife (even when not caching) and I was an Army Ranger and then a Corrections Officer at a high max prison. I can take of myself fairly well. I also keep an emergency kit with a well stocked first aid kit from my Army days in my vehicle.

For the boonies: All the above plus a well stocked ruck with the norm survival gear per my years of training. I had it pounded into my head to have more than you need that way always have what you need.

So far, knock on wood, I haven't had to use any of it. Not counting the time we saw a car crash while caching and called it in on the cell phone. Luckly no one was hurt to bad.

I keep a bug out kit, which is essentially everything I need to live for 24 hoursa; first aid kit, wet weather top & bottoms, fleece jacket, hat, mittens, extrao pair of socks, granola bars, water, flashlight, extra batts, and, my old combat knife, thats been dadgum near everywhere. Urban caches, I just take me.

Other than a cell phone I usually have my Leatherman. This weekend was one of the few times I didn't have the Leatherman. I brought my dogs on what was a relatively short hike to place a new cache. It turned out to be way too hot for the dogs so we cut it short. We were on our way back to the car when one of my dogs managed to pick up a five inch piece of cholla cactus stuck to her lip. Like I said, I usually have the Leatherman. No pliers today. No tweezers today. So, of course, today is the day I need them. I ended up with the cholla stuck in my hand (but off my dog's mouth) and ended up removing it from me with two rocks. If nothing else, in the desert, always carry water and always bring something to remove cactus.

I almost never cache with a pack, any more. I used to carry a fully packed daypack with bunches of stuff in it for any emergency. I also had, in the Jeep, a well stocked first aid kit, a small duffle with a change of clothes, extra-extra batteries and some other stuff, and a case of water. I realized the other day that my day pack hasn't been in the Jeep for at least a year.

Let me add that I haven't really been up for much of a hike for some time now, so haven't really needed all the essentials. I've also found that most everything I need can clip right onto my belt; cel, PDA, mp3, GPSr, BDA 380. The water bottle goes in my hand (remember, no long walks for me right now).

I guess I carry way more than I need.

My pack:

First Aid Kit, GPSr, Leatherman, PDA, Knife, Snake Bite Kit (I hate Snakes!!), Rain Poncho, Mini-LED Flashlight, Map, Full Size LED Flashlight, Whistle, Cell, Water or Gatorade

(want to Carry my .45 but Gun Laws are strict in MD)

Edited by Fireguy15

I recently got my car stuck in the mud for several hours on a dirt road in a state forest with no food or water (stupid me!). While in that situation I was only a couple of minutes from houses, it got me re-thinking what I bring with me when I cache.

I have begun doing longer hikes (2-5 miles) by myself. While a couple of miles is not far when healthy, a turned ankle or worse could make that near impossible. And if no one will realize you're missing for any length of time, the situation gets even worse!

I now have a day pack always ready to go, and I bring it on all but the shortest walks in city parks. Keeping all of it in one bag, and taking it everywhere means I never forget anything. It includes:

Gerber multi-tool

Whistle

Compass

LED light

Extra batteries for LED & GPSr

Energy Bars

Emergency Blanket (mylar type)

Extra pair of socks

Bug spray & sunscreen

Fire starter (magnesium block w/ flint)

Good first aid kit (good for several days)

Tick puller

Water (which I load up fresh each trip)

Caching stuff (swag, TBs, coins, etc)

My car now has a Gerber folding shovel (a very nice product!).

The only thing I don't have is water purification. I haven't decided if I should go with something like the Katadyn Micro Filter Water Bottle (water bottle with built in filter) and/or the water purification tablets. I am open to suggestions.

I have a large fanny pack with a leatherman, flashlight, tweezers, whistle, food, extra batteries, and water, among other items.

Around here, often the most important thing to have on a hike is water.

Locally, the most famous story is when a cacher had to be rescued by helicopter after becoming dehydrated on a very arduous hike.

81174_600.jpg

You can read the story here.

Other than a cell phone I usually have my Leatherman. This weekend was one of the few times I didn't have the Leatherman. I brought my dogs on what was a relatively short hike to place a new cache. It turned out to be way too hot for the dogs so we cut it short. We were on our way back to the car when one of my dogs managed to pick up a five inch piece of cholla cactus stuck to her lip. Like I said, I usually have the Leatherman. No pliers today. No tweezers today. So, of course, today is the day I need them. I ended up with the cholla stuck in my hand (but off my dog's mouth) and ended up removing it from me with two rocks. If nothing else, in the desert, always carry water and always bring something to remove cactus.

Been there, done that! Had an old bird dog that was way to curious. She has had cholla in face, a hook in her lip and my favorite a porcupine in her nose. Those porcupine quills were quite the challenge. You have to get them out quick otherwise they start to burrow.

I always carry a pocket knife and a small combo tool (pliers, 4 screwdrivers and flashlight) with me wherever I go except on a plane. That's why I prefer to drive whenever possible. If I am heading into the boonies I carry a small toolkit in the truck, a first aid kit and a leatherman, along with my pocketknife and pliers. Tow strap, hi lift jack, rubber boots, etc. You name it I probably have it in my pickup somewhere.

In the cache-mobile, two large first aid kits, water, tools, etc and a fully packed geo-pack with another first aid kit in, I haven't used the pack for hiking in a year.

If I am more than 20 minutes from my vehicle, pretty rare, I'll take a fanny pack, that has a small first aid kit, emergeny blanket, meal replacement bars (only if you are really starving), a leatherman, a leatherman knock off, compass, whistle, signal mirror, swag, emergency poncho, backup meds, led headlamp, small flashlight, waterproof matches, etc.

I always have a cell phone with me and usually a radio.

Edited by Recdiver

Animals?

Yeah. I'm a Bumbling B for a reason, and what I should be worried about is tripping, and falling down and breaking or straining something. But somehow the idea of a 200 + pound predator launching itself at my back is more notable to my brain.

That being said, I think about the worst I've been hurt caching is the day I figured out what stinging nettles look like. A sea of stinging nettles. (ouch!)

Edited by bumblingbs

If I am more than 20 minutes from my vehicle, pretty rare, I'll take a fanny pack, that has a small first aid kit, emergeny blanket, meal replacement bars (only if you are really starving), a leatherman, a leatherman knock off, compass, whistle, signal mirror, swag, emergency poncho, backup meds, led headlamp, small flashlight, waterproof matches, etc.

Wow. How big is your fanny? :laughing:

Wow. How big is your fanny? B)

Okay I guess what I have is like a fanny pack on steriods. It was one large main pocket (probably about the size of a traditional fanny pack), 2 medium sized pockets, and 4 smaller pockets. The smaller pockets are large enough to hold a leatherman, and other smaller objects. It also has small clips so you can use suspenders with it, which I plan getting the next longish hike I go on since my fanny just barely holds it on. :laughing:

And I want you all to stop thinking about my fanny.

Animals?

Yeah. I'm a Bumbling B for a reason, and what I should be worried about is tripping, and falling down and breaking or straining something. But somehow the idea of a 200 + pound predator launching itself at my back is more notable to my brain.

That being said, I think about the worst I've been hurt caching is the day I figured out what stinging nettles look like. A sea of stinging nettles. (ouch!)

Well I have had the need for the first aid kit, luckily I was within limping range of the vehicle and many hours later (well I had to finish the caches didn't I) I did have to make a run to a drug store for some bigger bandages to cover the worst of the injuries and to keep the blood off the upholstery.