Looking At Getting A Pda

I'm looking at getting a H2215 used on ebay. Is there a better one I should look at? Looking to spend about $200. I have a Germin etrex right now. I what to use the PDA to go paperless.

Thanks

Edited by Doc29

I personally use a Mio a701 which is also my phone, but for just geocaching I would highly recommend a Mitac Mio 168 (or similar marketed by other manufacturers) along with GPS Dash 2.58 software. Second hand, you should be able to get one around your budget which will be around $280 when you sell the etrex on Ebay. <_<

Edited by melmur

I am now the proud ownder of a Tunsten T (used) but am totaly confussed as to how to get the cache data into it. I am gratefull to any and all help. I looked at Cachemate and am wondering if I download that can I download the cache pages into it and then it downloads to the PDA? Please help.

Yes Cachemate is an excellent software for Palm based PDA's. With it you can load literally 1000's of cache pages (including past logs!) and it all fits in not too much memory either.

As you are a Premium member, you're all set to download Pocket Queries (500 limit per query), so Cachemate is a good (cheap!) investment

I am now the proud ownder of a Tunsten T (used) but am totaly confussed as to how to get the cache data into it. I am gratefull to any and all help. I looked at Cachemate and am wondering if I download that can I download the cache pages into it and then it downloads to the PDA? Please help.

Since you are a Premium Member, you can create Pocket Queries. These will be sent to your email InBox.

Then you can choose software to manage that data.

Although it has a bit of a steep learning curve, I chose to use GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife). I Export from GSAK in the correct format for Cachemate. I also send the waypoints from GSAK to my GPSr.

Here is a rudimentary GSAK tutorial. :laughing:

I have a 2215 for 2+ years. I paid $350 back then. Don't know if $200 is a good price for a used unit but the unit is very good.

I use it for paperless caching using gpxsonar on-board the PPC. I also have Mapopolis loaded for voice and visual auto-navigating in my car and for navigating to the cache in the woods. I have a GlobalSat BC-337 Compact Flash GPS Receiver (SiRF III) (WAAS) that plugs into the 2215's CF slot.

Edited by Alan2

The most important quality for a geocaching PDA is that it be cheap. It's going to get dropped in ponds, sat on, rained on, dropped on rocks, left behind at caches, etc. Luckily, it doesn't take much to run cachemate. I bought a Palm IIIxe off eBay one year ago for $16. Works fine, and I don't worry about it.