Monarch Butterfly

crake

I announced this to the CRAKE mailing list a while ago, but haven't posted here yet. The Monarch geocoin, a design many months in the making, is finally ready to go. Well almost - there's a minor color tweak, and then I'll place the order. If all goes well, the coin along with a lapel pin will be available later in June with shipping late June/early July.

The front is a Monarch (of course). Bonus points if anyone can guess whether its a male or female butterfly <_<. The back is the lifecycle, including common migration paths and overwintering sites.

Given Central Texas is smack in the middle of one of the paths we get to see these guys when caching, and with any luck we'll be able to get a few of these moving in caches so we'll get to see them year-round!

Here's the sample:

Monarch_web.jpg

Details:

2" Black Nickel (only version available)

GC Trackable

Custom icon

Stay tuned for ordering info!

I announced this to the CRAKE mailing list a while ago, but haven't posted here yet. The Monarch geocoin, a design many months in the making, is finally ready to go. Well almost - there's a minor color tweak, and then I'll place the order. If all goes well, the coin along with a lapel pin will be available later in June with shipping late June/early July.

The front is a Monarch (of course). Bonus points if anyone can guess whether its a male or female butterfly :ph34r:. The back is the lifecycle, including common migration paths and overwintering sites.

Given Central Texas is smack in the middle of one of the paths we get to see these guys when caching, and with any luck we'll be able to get a few of these moving in caches so we'll get to see them year-round!

Here's the sample:

Monarch_web.jpg

Details:

2" Black Nickel (only version available)

GC Trackable

Custom icon

Stay tuned for ordering info!

Male all the way. <_<

Edited by legna and sOulbAit

It is a beautiful coin, but I will be the first to say "Pass".

That's cool - if you don't want one, feel free to not get one. But please, I ask that we keep the thread clean by not flooding with "I'll pass", etc. I've stated my position on geocoins in the past, and we don't need to revisit this topic on every coin thread.

Now, on to the fun. Congrats to Jug & Roon for the correct guess by email, and legna and sOulbAit for the correct guess by thread. Both get a free coin and pin. <_<

It is a beautiful coin, but I will be the first to say "Pass".

That's cool - if you don't want one, feel free to not get one. But please, I ask that we keep the thread clean by not flooding with "I'll pass", etc. I've stated my position on geocoins in the past, and we don't need to revisit this topic on every coin thread.

Now, on to the fun. Congrats to Jug & Roon for the correct guess by email, and legna and sOulbAit for the correct guess by thread. Both get a free coin and pin. <_<

And trades????

Very nice coin-perhaps a trade can be made. All of Crake's coins are nice whether or not they are actually related to geocaching. There is a big difference in the quality of his coins vs. some of the other non-caching related commercial coins. Top notch artwork always sells.

:ph34r: One of THE most beautiful coins we have EVER seen!!!!!

There is another detail that denotes the gender of this beauty.

For a free coin we will tell you! <_< LOL!

Count us in for 10!!!

Allright, you're on - so what else about this butterfly denotes gender?

:ph34r: One of THE most beautiful coins we have EVER seen!!!!!

There is another detail that denotes the gender of this beauty.

For a free coin we will tell you! B) LOL!

Count us in for 10!!!

Allright, you're on - so what else about this butterfly denotes gender?

:laughing: BTW,Just kidding about the free coin!(BUT NOT THE REQUEST FOR 10)

LOL!!!

Edited by Ryder3 & Better Half

The female generally has a larger abdomen.

(Due to reproductive organs)

There is your trivia for today!!LOL!

Actually, there's something else different!

The wingspan on a male is larger, while the probiscus is longer on a female

Also, females have thicker wing veins

Do I get a free coin??? B):laughing:

Edited by Mandollyn

...All of Crake's coins are nice whether or not they are actually related to geocaching. There is a big difference in the quality of his coins vs. some of the other non-caching related commercial coins. Top notch artwork always sells.

I agree.

Tracking Time is the best one for me ( great symmetry ) but I really like this one as well ... I'll be waiting for pricing.

Edited by nicolo

:) I can't wait to order myself several of the coins. Keep up the good work on your coins. They have all been top shelf. Just wish I wouldn't have missed the silver Tracking Time.. :)

Until your shelf breaks and they all hit the floor! :lol::)

(Hey! If I can't laugh at myself, life's too serious! :) )

D-man :)

Edited by gridlox

Coins are been ordered! Looks like orders will ship around the July 4th holiday.

They will be available for order soon, and pricing will be similar to TT and BB as this is a 2" coin (wing tip to wing tip). There will be a coin/pin discounted combo as well in addition to just the pin.

Nice, the last time i drove through the desert i think i squashed about a million of them! must of been at least half that many in the u-hauls grill. haha

Cool coin, I like.

PS. yes i see the irony of a caterpillar talking about squished flutterby's :(

Edited by Nero

i'm in for at least one... i have just caught the geocoin bug... so i've been looking at tons of coins to purchase lately...

i may need a second job to support my habit :laughing:

Then you need to keep on top of Crake's designs!!

He yet to produce one that is less than "AWESOME"!! :laughing::laughing:

Ordered 2 of these myself! :unsure:

Only 1 entry? Well, there's a couple of days left :unsure:

I cannot draw to save my life. And to try to create an icon... too small a work area even if I could, lol.

My only suggestion is to simply use a plain monarch butterfly. I think that would be a very nice icon and I don't see any reason to manipulate that image in the first place.

Maybe Yime or The Fox & the Hound will see this before time is up :laughing:

Only 1 entry? Well, there's a couple of days left :blink:

I cannot draw to save my life. And to try to create an icon... too small a work area even if I could, lol.

My only suggestion is to simply use a plain monarch butterfly. I think that would be a very nice icon and I don't see any reason to manipulate that image in the first place.

Maybe Yime or The Fox & the Hound will see this before time is up :blink:

I am the same as AtlantaGal about drawing. But maybe use the caterpillar that is on the reverse side of the coin. He is so cute.