"logging For Miles" Sop Or Faux Pas

whatson II

I tried to search so as to not rehash an old topic but found nothing (I think the search tool is busted). Anyhow, I have logged a few notes at at a local cache (in fact a micro) to drop of a travel bug so I could better reflect the bugs travel. I was wondering if this is an "acceptable" if not established practice or am I breaking some etiquette rules. I could see that some cache owners may get annoyed that "their" logs are full of notes "dropped TB for miles". I thought of making a mirco cache and locating it in my yard and using that one for "travel log". Any input? Discussion? Alternate ideas?

Thanks BlueDeuce, perhaps a bit of further explanation is due. When I get a travel bug from one location and then plan to deposit it in another location, I occasionally like to log it and retrieve it "in between" at a location near my home. I have used the same local cache (one I have already logged a find for) for this location and consequently have several "notes" posted simply to have a destination for the travel bug log. My concern is for the owner of the cache, who, presumably is reading logs for his or her cache and finding these “for miles only” logs. Having explained this and thought things through, I have come up with several ideas of my own to make sure I don’t annoy anyone. All of them have one thing in common, and that is to communicate.

Edited by whatson II

A process sometimes known as "dipping". Some people like it, some people are puzzled by it.

I live in Rhode Island, which is every bit as small as you've always heard. when I pick up a TB in Mass or CT, I'll sometimes "dip" it in a cache near me so the bug has a memento of being in Rhody, if I end up leaving it in another state. I do it during an actual cache visit, though, so it isn't the same one all the time. I'd feel funny dipping it in a cache that it hadn't actually visited. Which is kind of stupid, but there you go.

If you're worried about annoying the cache owner, why not write him and ask? I think I'd be flattered, in a weird way, if someone chose a cache of mine as a "TB landmark".

It can be fun, if not overdone. Weasel's example is great. We released a TB in New Jersey that wants to go to Minnesota to search for a lost TB. (I know. That's begging trouble...) It went to Florida (to a convention) and was handed off to a cacher from Michigan. Said cacher took it to Japan, and dipped it into three caches in Yokahama! We loved it!! Of course, it hasn't been logged into a cache since... But, Agent Bear has been to Japan!