Beginner Geocacher

DMaggot

Well I am a beginner in geocaching and I am looking into buying my first GPS unit. I'm just wondering what everybody recommends. I'm looking to spend not much more than $300 Canadian. I would like one more suitable to hiking and geocaching moreso than in the car (as I don't own a car... :lol: ). I've read some reviews but there are people who like both so I would like to see what you all think as well.

Thanks for the help! And so far geocaching rules! :lol:

-DMaggot

You are going to get lots and lots of answers to this I would imagine. I will go very general. Be sure the GPSr unit that you buy has the ability to accept downloads to a computer and be sure you get some kind of software that will give you detailed road maps. We use a Garmin GPSmap 60C, which I love. We have also used a Magellan SporTrak, which we also loved.

You could also do a search of these forums and find lots of info. about different units and cost. Most of these guys know a lot more than me!! :lol:

Now that the 'x' units are out, you can get a Garmin Legend C for less than $200 (US) on eBay. The nice thing about this unit, besides the pretty color display :lol:, is that it connects to your computer with the faster USB interface.

Also, if you get the right maps, that unit can auto-route you to your destinations. :lol:

Now that the 'x' units are out, you can get a Garmin Legend C for less than $200 (US) on eBay. The nice thing about this unit, besides the pretty color display :lol:, is that it connects to your computer with the faster USB interface.

Also, if you get the right maps, that unit can auto-route you to your destinations. :lol:

I agree with the Legend C if you can still find it. I actually heard of some people finding it for $99 (USD) at

Target.

Well I am a beginner in geocaching and I am looking into buying my first GPS unit. I'm just wondering what everybody recommends. I'm looking to spend not much more than $300 Canadian. I would like one more suitable to hiking and geocaching moreso than in the car (as I don't own a car... :anicute: ). I've read some reviews but there are people who like both so I would like to see what you all think as well.

Thanks for the help! And so far geocaching rules! :blink:

-DMaggot

I like the Etrex Legend. :anicute: