Getting My Etrex Legend To Settle Down Under Trees

My wife and I were hunting down this multi Lest We Forget and I put the coords in my GPSr. The area is covered in trees, and I'd be walking in the direction and would have 75' to go, then suddenly it was 20' E then heading east it said it was 40' SW. Is this just something I'm going to have to deal with or is there something I could do to make my lil buddy settle down a little? Thanks !!!

InHope

My wife and I were hunting down this multi Lest We Forget and I put the coords in my GPSr. The area is covered in trees, and I'd be walking in the direction and would have 75' to go, then suddenly it was 20' E then heading east it said it was 40' SW. Is this just something I'm going to have to deal with or is there something I could do to make my lil buddy settle down a little? Thanks !!!

InHope

You'll get results like that...the newer SIRF chips do a better job at getting signals through the trees.

The older black&white Etrexes have always had difficulty performing under heavy treecover, it seems moreso than most other models/brands. Even the color Etrexes (ie, Etrex Legend C) is MUCH better in the same conditions. If you're planning on spending a lot of time using GPS in the woods you might want to consider swapping for another model. Not that other models are perfect mind you,.. sooner or later ALL GPSr's will stumble & lose signal lock.

But for now, the best you can do with your current unit is to hold it absolutely level the entire time you're using it for best possible reception. AND, don't hold it too near your body, because YOU also form a barrier the unit cannot see through.

InHope

Yep! Same problem here. But I have learned to live with it. When GPS is still counting down I am looking for probable hiding places ahead. After getting as close to zero, just put the GPS away and start looking in a circle of about 60ft or so. You have to figure in the accuracy of the hider and your GPS accuracy.

Just keep on looking and you usually prevail.

InHope

Yep! Same problem here. But I have learned to live with it. When GPS is still counting down I am looking for probable hiding places ahead. After getting as close to zero, just put the GPS away and start looking in a circle of about 60ft or so. You have to figure in the accuracy of the hider and your GPS accuracy.

Just keep on looking and you usually prevail.

You know what the problem has been for this one is that it's in a dense wooded area so it's difficult to just search an area. It's really facinating though because I found a clearning where it looks like a deer was "nesting" or whatever the term. My wife lost my PPC in that mess!! UGH! Luckily we found that though! haha!

I think I'm going to go back in and search for it, but take a large stick so I can move the large spiders' webs. Mild arachnophob here.

Thanks for everyone's help!

You basically have to live with it. The best you can do is to get a good fix before you enter the wooded area and hold your GPSr flat with the screen facing up.

Holding the unit flat is the key. With my Legend and then with my Vista, as long as I had a good lock before entering the woods and I always held the unit flat, face up to the sky, I rarely lost a lock. The few times I did, I got it back promptly.

Edited by briansnat

You basically have to live with it. The best you can do is to get a good fix before you enter the wooded area and hold your GPSr flat with the screen facing up.

Holding the unit flat is the key. With my Legend and then with my Vista, as long as I had a good lock before entering the woods and I always held the unit flat, face up to the sky, I rarely lost a lock. The few times I did, I got it back promptly.

Noted <_< thanks! Keep it face up :ph34r: