Replacing Etrex Vista C Gasket

I know it sounds intuitive, but the gasket sent to replace my stretched-out one came with a plastic covered strip of what I'm guessing is the adhesive. One side is sticky, and I don't want to booger up the other, plastic coated side trying to remove it to see if the second side is sticky, too.

There are obvious holes for the different side buttons, and I've tried to carefully peel the plastic backing (without luck) because it makes sense to me that there needs to be adhesive on both sides of the strip.

Has anyone had any experience with this? I've tried calling, but the phone just keeps on ringing...guess they've gone home for the day. Thanks in advance.

I know it sounds intuitive, but the gasket sent to replace my stretched-out one came with a plastic covered strip of what I'm guessing is the adhesive. One side is sticky, and I don't want to booger up the other, plastic coated side trying to remove it to see if the second side is sticky, too.

There are obvious holes for the different side buttons, and I've tried to carefully peel the plastic backing (without luck) because it makes sense to me that there needs to be adhesive on both sides of the strip.

Has anyone had any experience with this? I've tried calling, but the phone just keeps on ringing...guess they've gone home for the day. Thanks in advance.

I answered my own question while messing around with it, and yes there is adhesive on both sides of that strip. I just needed to work with it until I caught the edge enough to peel it.

Just curious: did Garmin send the replacement grip feee? Ours is all messed up and I keep wondering if they would fix it. Thanks, jnj

Yep, I called them Friday and had it Monday. I expected to have to send it in, and was glad not to. The 1 yr warrenty had about a week left. They never asked about when I bought it, so I'm thinking they ought to be sending you one free, too. I've never had anything but good service with Garmin (except the 25 minutes on hold to ask about it!).

That thread would have been helpful. I was thinking I'd get instructions, but did not. I just carefully took the old gasket off, put the new adhesive on over the old, trimming it slightly at the base of the unit, where the lanyard goes. Put the new gasket one and Bob's your uncle!

I hope I didn't mess it up by skipping a lot of steps mentioned in the thread! ;}

I answered my own question while messing around with it, and yes there is adhesive on both sides of that strip. I just needed to work with it until I caught the edge enough to peel it.

Just curious: did Garmin send the replacement grip feee? Ours is all messed up and I keep wondering if they would fix it. Thanks, jnj

I have an Etrex Legend and the rubber gasket surrounding it has torn thru just where thr flap covering the connector is. I e-mailed Garmin and am awaiting their reply. Maybe it's not a hard job to replace it if I can get it. :blink: