Waymark Suggestion

I would like to suggest a waymark for the Animal Memorials category. I have been to this memorial before (September 2005) and I will be going there again (May 2007) but I would like to see the waymark added soon so people can visit the memorial. Should I submit it myself? Should I try to find someone local who can help me out so it's still "my" waymark? Should I have someone local do all the work, including submission? Should I wait until next year and then submit it? Many thanks in advance for the help!

Sorry I wasn't clear - I meant I wanted to create a waymark in the Animal Memorials category. I'm thinking of a specific memorial in Alaska that I want to add - but I'm not sure I should, based on the above explanation.

If you are worried about not living close to the location, don't be. There's no rule which prohibits "vacation" waymarks.

Do you have accurate coordinates, and a picture (or whatever else is required for creating waymarks in that particular category)? If you do, but are concerned that creating a waymark for a location that you haven't visited since Waymarking began wouldn't be appropriate, you could just send an email to the category owner(s) asking if they'd accept your submittal.

edit: missed a couple of words.

Edited by cache_test_dummies

Ok, this opens a bit of a can of worms. Why isn't there such a guideline? Plaques get moved, buildings get torn down, there are even McDonald restaurants that no longer exist (one of my favorites disappeared actually). So, if you are the owner of the waymark but you are thousands of miles away, how can you assure that the thing you waymarked still exists.

Why would we want people to waste their time looking for waymarks that went out of existence months earlier? Seems like the same issue that is faced by missing geocaches so it likely should apply to waymarks.

(edited for minor word change)

JDandDD

Edited by JDandDD

Ok, this opens a bit of a can of worms. Why isn't there such a guideline? Plaques get moved, buildings get torn down, there are even McDonald restaurants that no longer exist (one of my favorites disappeared actually). So, if you are the owner of the waymark but you are thousands of miles away, how can you assure that the thing you waymarked still exists.

While it is true that a waymarked object could disappear or the location could become inaccessible, I don't think it will happen with enough regularity to be a real problem. In any case, what would be the real value of having a vacation rule? Any one of the waymarks I've created locally could go missing and I might not notice it for months - I've created lots of waymarks which are in places I don't frequent, even though they are not far from my home.

Seems like the same issue that is faced by missing geocaches so it likely should apply to waymarks.

Vacation caches weren't allowed because caches need maintenance. Log books fill up, contents get wet, containers break. But waymarks are relatively permanent. If one does go missing, the normal course of action will be to archive it.

Creating waymarks close to home does have the benefit that if a waymark is reported as MIA, the owner can confirm it in person. For waymarks created far from home, we'll just have to rely a bit more on feedback from locals as these situations arise.

Woofiegirls waymark

A really nice one too.

I created a waymark in Alaska that I havent been to in a long time (22 years). I asked one of the locals to get coordinates for me, and even asked for suggestions to the best possible site. The result: Porky Lights Up.

As long as coordinates are accurate, as long as the site exists in the condition that the creator of the waymark says it is in, then it shouldnt matter how close or far away they are from it.

Woofiegirls waymark

A really nice one too.

I created a waymark in Alaska that I havent been to in a long time (22 years). I asked one of the locals to get coordinates for me, and even asked for suggestions to the best possible site. The result: Porky Lights Up.

As long as coordinates are accurate, as long as the site exists in the condition that the creator of the waymark says it is in, then it shouldnt matter how close or far away they are from it.

Thank you so much for the approval! I'm very excited to have created my first waymark.