Rate My Travel Bug Idea

darus67

Each half of the bill is made into a travel bug. Whoever unites the two halves gets to spend the dollar.

I wouldn't attach the actual travel bug tags, but I'd use numbers from tags I have purchased.

That way after someone finds both halves, I can just re-use the same pair of TB numbers and launch

another bill. The bug pages would, of course, contain links to the other bug in the pair.

Would people actually move these, or would they hold half, and hope the other half moved to them?

Personally I don't think two bugs are going to be found by the same cacher who would be in a position to keep one half and then find the other without having to hold one for a long time.

But hey, you can still release two bugs with half a bill just for fun. Don't tell them to hold it while looking for the other in hopes of getting a buck. Just say the bugs are trying to meet up. And if they do, then figure out a prize.

And if you want, I'll rip a buck in two and send it to you. postage paid.

A buck? Cheapskate!

I'd use a bigger bill, depending on how far apart I managed to release them.

Across town, 1$

Across the state, $5

Coast to coast, $20

or something like that

Power Ranger (the Blue one was the hunky one, yes?) has the right idea; you run the risk it gets lost in the junque. If you put each half in a baggie with instructions, you'd stand a better chance.

I wouldn't just toss half buck in the cache. I would put it in some sort of container (I was thinking of a baseball card holder) with a note explaining the goal.

Oh, and it's a felony or something <_<

Defacing U.S. currency is only a crime if done with fraudulent intent, according to what I've read.

There's no fraud here. Nothing a little scotch tape couldn't fix.

If the bill got wet, then placed in a dry warm cache it might start to mildew. Not something I'd like to find in a cache, must less move. So waterproofing it somehow would be good idea.

oh, and I vote for using a two dollar bill, Or some foreign paper currency. Something slighty unusual so someone might look at and read the mission.

"Defacement of Currency

Defacement of currency is a violation of Title 18, Section 333 of the United States Code. Under this provision, currency defacement is generally defined as follows: Whoever mutilates, cuts, disfigures, perforates, unites or cements together, or does any other thing to any bank bill, draft, note, or other evidence of debt issued by any national banking association, Federal Reserve Bank, or Federal Reserve System, with intent to render such item(s) unfit to be reissued, shall be fined not more than $100 or imprisoned not more than six months, or both.

Defacement of currency in such a way that it is made unfit for circulation comes under the jurisdiction of the United States Secret Service."

This is enough reason NOT to do it.

Defacing American currency (by tearing a dollar bill in half, for example) is against Fedreral law.

...Which is reason enough to do it, in my opinion :D

Ooooh!! Dick Cheney is watching you. :)

You better believe it buddy!! But remember you can't do that to them because only they are allowed illegal eavesdropping & wiretapping privleges, along with private airspace above their residential homes that are afforded with your tax money. Sure pays to be a pCoRlOiOtKician.

Edited by Colorado Cacher
"Defacement of Currency

Defacement of currency is a violation of Title 18, Section 333 of the United States Code. Under this provision, currency defacement is generally defined as follows: Whoever mutilates, cuts, disfigures, perforates, unites or cements together, or does any other thing to any bank bill, draft, note, or other evidence of debt issued by any national banking association, Federal Reserve Bank, or Federal Reserve System, with intent to render such item(s) unfit to be reissued, shall be fined not more than $100 or imprisoned not more than six months, or both.

Defacement of currency in such a way that it is made unfit for circulation comes under the jurisdiction of the United States Secret Service."

Same thing I was fixing to post......

Defacing American currency (by tearing a dollar bill in half, for example) is against Fedreral law.

...Which is reason enough to do it, in my opinion :D

Ooooh!! Dick Cheney is watching you. :)

You better believe it buddy!! But remember you can't do that to them because only they are allowed illegal eavesdropping & wiretapping privleges, along with private airspace above their residential homes that are afforded with your tax money. Sure pays to be a pCoRlOiOtKician.

Will someone either shut this thread down or shut these guys up? I'm trying real hard not to get suspended again.. This is like dangling a crack rock in front of an addict.

"Defacement of Currency

Ever hear of www.wheresgeorge.com?

"Defacement of Currency

Sure have. Placing the stamp on the edge of the bill does not render it unusable. They do not rip, tear or otherwise mutilate the bill.

"Defacement of Currency

Sure have. Placing the stamp on the edge of the bill does not render it unusable. They do not rip, tear or otherwise mutilate the bill.

Allright ever seen that machine that punches a stupid design in a penny?

Allright ever seen that machine that punches a stupid design in a penny?

You've got me there. I've never understood that one. Best guess? Money is being made during the destruction of the penny, of which the governement gets a share through taxes. Don't know otherwise.

I checked in to that earlier. Coins are in the previous section 332 and it includes the word "fraudulently" alters, defaces, etc.

According to what I found, their position is that they have no fraudulent intent. There's more but you can do your research and draw your own conclusions.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I checked in to that earlier. Coins are in the previous section 332 and it includes the word "fraudulently" alters, defaces, etc.

According to what I found, their position is that they have no fraudulent intent. There's more but you can do your research and draw your own conclusions.

well if that is the case than I guess we are all federal criminals because you cant tell me that that we all havet run a bill or 2 through the wash and trashed it.... lol...

well if that is the case than I guess we are all federal criminals because you cant tell me that that we all havet run a bill or 2 through the wash and trashed it.... lol...

Actually, never to the point that it was trashed.

There's a nearby bar-n-grill that the ceiling is covered in ones. A good washing is the only thing that would save those bills.

You could do this with something other than currency ... a gift card or something ...

I like that idea. It would keep the currency police off my case.

I wonder if any use a barcode rather than a mag stripe. I don't know if a mag stripe would still work if cut in half and taped back together. A barcode is a lot more forgiving that way.

I think I will take a dollar bill stamped for Where's George and then package it up as a travel bug with the mission to be sent somewhere like Hawaii or something and then logged into the Where's George site before being spent. That way I'll log miles on my TB and then get a hit in Where's George!

Edited by markz68

Without a tag, I'm not sure people would recognize them as anything more than geo-junk in the cache. Add that to the durability issues when facing the many many wet caches out there... Neat idea but I think it is doomed from the start.

Put it in a plastic pouch of some kind, then attach the same type of chain to it that comes with a travel bug.

If geocachers see the chain, they will look to see what it is attached to.

I think you need to get a more expensive president.

"Defacement of Currency

OMG, come on now!

Whenever someone at work would ask me if I could 'break a hundred', I used to tear their $100.00 bill in half, just to see the shock on the customers and employees faces...of course, I made sure I had enough $20s to cover it...as long as the halves numerically match when you tape them together, I have NEVER had a bank call me on it, after I sent it in with the nightly deposit...

Any Federal Agents have a problem with that, come and get me...really...come and take me away, right now...I dare you... :rolleyes: