Hall Of Fame

perdix

Hi All,

I was sitting looking at the Ranking Site – something I often do (well not now that its down :) ). I love stats and love to see the movements and activities. The site has really contributed to the sport / hobby growing at the pace it has.

I would like to suggest, though that we (the SAGC community) also create a “hall of fame” as many pioneers of the game in SA are being left by the wayside - or at least not recognised. I’m thinking of Prof. Charles Merry, Peter Scholtz, Chris Smith and the like.

Surely these guys (and I am not related to any of them) needs a mention. Off-course the Hall of Fame must also include current movers and shakers.

My suggestions for Hall of Fame categories would be:

Pioneers,

Longest road trip,

Most caches (finds and hides) in a day,

Most remote cache find,

Contribution to growing the game,

Most perservering,

Getting press coverage,

Longest undiscovered cache (no points for guessing),

Fastest find,

Best cache (as voted for separately),

It could be a low tech site, with people being nominated rather than drawing data of the GC site. You could and should nominate yourself if you have had a great trip, etc, etc. Also, I see this as complimenting the ranking site and other great sites like Globalrat’s, GeocacherSA’s etc.

I would be happy to put something together, though my tech knowledge ranks in the “lack thereof” region. I am busy putting together some local images that I got from the GC site, which I hope to share with the community soon.

Opinions / suggestions?

This is a good idea Perdix. I have been wondering about the feeling in the community since the recent GR forum discussion, and have been hoping that it did not burn people away from GC here in SA. I think the idea of competition or acknowledgement of an adventure is a good thing that we can all cheer about.

Your category longest road trip. Hey, if people are competitive enough to try and beat someone else's record, then let them. :) It can only spur some fun remarks about what lengths people have gone to in order to trade chinese junk around the region!!! :D

A suggestion: Perhaps you could include a spot where people can nominate the best log entry. A little nudge to make them more than: Quick find, TFTC. I bet there are some great logs that only get read by the owner and the watchers. We should all enjoy them sometimes.

We like the idea but are concern that it will discourage people from GC in SA. <_< Being fairly new to GC we don’t know allot about the history of it starting in South Africa.

I'm confused. :ph34r: Why would such a HOF discourage people from GC ?

What about adding in an award for the best/funniest photo atached to a log? I've seen a few good ones.

I like! I can think of a few myself - one at a cache you hid if memory serves! <_<

I really see this as a huge community participation exercise. I offer my services to collate info and present it on a site - though be warned that my webscripting is BASIC and my server space is limited!

We like the idea but are concern that it will discourage people from GC in SA.

I cant quite see that this would be a concern. :ph34r:

I cant quite see that this would be a concern. <_<

Meaning - :ph34r:

People’s perceptions can be different to who and what will be added to the hall of fame, further to this, they can be sensitive for not being mentioned or give credit for their efforts promoting GC in SA.

Edited by Trackinfind

People’s perceptions can be different to who and what will be added to the hall of fame, further to this, they can be sensitive for not being mentioned or give credit for their efforts promoting GC in SA.

Are you referring to all those humble cache hides of yours recently? I saw nothing but T&F caches on my weekly list last week. <_<

Are you referring to all those humble cache hides of yours recently? I saw nothing but T&F caches on my weekly list last week. :ph34r:

No, No, No B) We’re very humble new participants to the sport. Just thinking of current people feelings promoting GC that is doing a great job (you included)! :laughing:

PS Keep up on the TF caches! B)