The Da Vinci Cache

:D I just got finished watching the Da Vinci Code. Igonore all the religious hoopla for a minute and indulge me on this:

1. puzzle-solving to find the next step :D

2. clues hidden in plain sight :)

3. a legendary "treasure hunt"

4. Cryptic containers containing small, rolled up documents

Is this the first real movie about Geocaching? Did the Priory merely emplace the greatest multi-stage cache of all time? Am I completely off the deep end? :antenna:

Hey, you don't have to answer the last question - I already know!

I'll bet I just gave somebody a 'Divine Inspiration' for a new cache series- as if micros weren't bad enough, I have to worry about being muggled by a murderous albino monk.....

We went to see the movie this weekend with some friends of ours. The husband in the other couple mentioned more than once that this only encouraged his thirst for treasure hunting. So, naturally, we said... oh by the way .. have you ever heard of Geocaching??

Now we have plans to take them out next week for a geocaching adventure. Lets see how this goes.

Don't bother with the movie.... the book is a page turner and a quick read.

Please focus upon the geocaching-related aspects of this topic. The previous posts are great examples. If you wish to discuss the movie or the book on its own, use the Off Topic Forum. Thanks.

Don't bother with the movie.... the book is a page turner and a quick read.

Please focus upon the geocaching-related aspects of this topic. The previous posts are great examples. If you wish to discuss the movie or the book on its own, use the Off Topic Forum. Thanks.

What is it with the reviewers and library caches?

I thought that you all knew that The Da Vinci Code is about geocaching. Don’t you remember your Mid-evil History?

The original, original cacher was King Arthur. He hid a few caches, at that time called relics, for some of his friend, the knights, to find. After some time the hobby had grown to the point that they had to find a better way to facilitate the sport, therefore they built the round table.

The Holy Grail was actually a 5/5 cache, or relic, hidden somewhere in the Holy Lands. Many of the cachers hunted for it but so many DNFs were posted that rumors that it didn’t if exist began to circulate.

Many years past, and the activity grew. Many groups and clubs were formed all around the land. This growth caused them to form a group of reviewers and moderators as well as a HQ which would aid the sport. The site of this HQ is now known is the Vatican. This group or TPTB was seen by some as draconic and oppressive. In spite of this, the hobby continued without any major problems for quite some time.

Years later many of the cachers thought that a large group get-together would be a good idea. When TPTB learned of this they decided to sanction this and called it a crusade. Thus is first geowoodstock was formed.

The first of these events went OK but some ripples of dissension were heard, but these died away quickly. However the next crusades stirred up even more problems. By the time of the fourth crusade the splits had become even more pronounced. Much of the grumblings came about when on group claimed that merely signing a relic was as good as claiming the relic in the manner out by TPTB.

Even more rifts were formed over the concept of traveling and temporary relics, which were brought back from the Holy Lands so that even more cachers could have a chance to see these relics. When some of these cachers logged a claim on the relics, there was a great uproar amongst the cachers everywhere.

One of the sects of cachers, which claimed, that based on the numbers of the relics they had claimed, were better than other cachers, formed their own group known as the Knights Templar. This caused much division within the caching world. TPTB at first were afraid to take action against this group because of the power they seemed to have.

While all this was taking place, a small group of non-mainline cachers, who knew the truth about the Holy Grail, hid in the shadows protecting their secret. For the Grail was not a 5/5 cache hidden in the Holy Land, instead it was in actuality a pocket cache.

TPTB were soon forced to take action on the Knights Templar due to their growing power. They removed the Knights as a group, but the angst that this caused only formed more splits.

The next great rift came when a reviewer in Germany posted his views on the micro vs. traditional debate on a local forum. The local cachers rallied around the rouge reviewer and the Protestant Reformation was born.

Fearing that they would lose all control TPTB stepped in to quash the uprising. Many horrors and atrocities were done by cachers on both sides on the debate. The Inquisitions were TPTB’s final answer to the problem. Unfortunately this only polarized the groups and brought an end to the first great experiment in caching.

While all this was happening, the group of cachers that knew the truth about the Holy Grail protected their secret. Even to this day they still hide the Grail.

I thought you all knew that.

:blink::P:ph34r::P:P:P:P:P:P

I haven't read the book or seen the movie. Can someone spoil the ending for me. Does he get to the final and find nothing but an old golf ball, a stubby pencil, and a broken whistle?

even worse - he gets to the supposed final resting place and .....

it has been moved! maybe even muggled! we don't know for sure! :D

I didn't see the movie, but I did read the book. The puzzles were great, the caches well hidden in plane sight. I don't know how the movie ended, but in the book the location of the final cache was found, but the cache wasn't retrieved and therefore could not be logged. Some cachers might have logged it because they got close. :)

I thought that you all knew that The Da Vinci Code is about geocaching. Don’t you remember your Mid-evil History?

The original, original cacher was King Arthur. He hid a few caches, at that time called relics, for some of his friend, the knights, to find. After some time the hobby had grown to the point that they had to find a better way to facilitate the sport, therefore they built the round table.

The Holy Grail was actually a 5/5 cache, or relic, hidden somewhere in the Holy Lands. Many of the cachers hunted for it but so many DNFs were posted that rumors that it didn’t if exist began to circulate.

Many years past, and the activity grew. Many groups and clubs were formed all around the land. This growth caused them to form a group of reviewers and moderators as well as a HQ which would aid the sport. The site of this HQ is now known is the Vatican. This group or TPTB was seen by some as draconic and oppressive. In spite of this, the hobby continued without any major problems for quite some time.

Years later many of the cachers thought that a large group get-together would be a good idea. When TPTB learned of this they decided to sanction this and called it a crusade. Thus is first geowoodstock was formed.

The first of these events went OK but some ripples of dissension were heard, but these died away quickly. However the next crusades stirred up even more problems. By the time of the fourth crusade the splits had become even more pronounced. Much of the grumblings came about when on group claimed that merely signing a relic was as good as claiming the relic in the manner out by TPTB.

Even more rifts were formed over the concept of traveling and temporary relics, which were brought back from the Holy Lands so that even more cachers could have a chance to see these relics. When some of these cachers logged a claim on the relics, there was a great uproar amongst the cachers everywhere.

One of the sects of cachers, which claimed, that based on the numbers of the relics they had claimed, were better than other cachers, formed their own group known as the Knights Templar. This caused much division within the caching world. TPTB at first were afraid to take action against this group because of the power they seemed to have.

While all this was taking place, a small group of non-mainline cachers, who knew the truth about the Holy Grail, hid in the shadows protecting their secret. For the Grail was not a 5/5 cache hidden in the Holy Land, instead it was in actuality a pocket cache.

TPTB were soon forced to take action on the Knights Templar due to their growing power. They removed the Knights as a group, but the angst that this caused only formed more splits.

The next great rift came when a reviewer in Germany posted his views on the micro vs. traditional debate on a local forum. The local cachers rallied around the rouge reviewer and the Protestant Reformation was born.

Fearing that they would lose all control TPTB stepped in to quash the uprising. Many horrors and atrocities were done by cachers on both sides on the debate. The Inquisitions were TPTB’s final answer to the problem. Unfortunately this only polarized the groups and brought an end to the first great experiment in caching.

While all this was happening, the group of cachers that knew the truth about the Holy Grail protected their secret. Even to this day they still hide the Grail.

:D:DB):D:):ph34r::D:DB)

Shhhhhhhh! I thought this was to be kept secret until the handshake was given???

:):ph34r::ph34r::D:mad:B):mad::):mad:

LMAO!

:D:DB)B):ph34r::mad::mad::DB)

Shhhhhhhh! I thought this was to be kept secret until the handshake was given???

:D:)B):):D:mad::):D:ph34r:

LMAO!

No!! The grand scheme by TPTB: The location of the grail was to be found only by the geopuritans and kept in a secret location possibly here (French Peak). :ph34r: I have ascertained this by much research and some deduction. :D