Poll For Practices

5¢

1. Log the event once. (Although we didn't feel this way until recently)

2. No.

3. No.

This is just one of many threads this week that has addressed the same issues. One of the results of at least one of these threads was archiving and locking some caches. I'd say that you have your answer to that one. As far as multi-logging events (for temp. caches or whatever), I have yet to see anything being done about it. The practice has been going on for at least a year so I would assume (yes, I know what they say about assuming anything) that Groundspeak is not at this time going to do anything about it. That's just my take on it. Maybe TPTB are having the same debates that we are having or maybe they just don't care. It seems to me if they felt as strongly about some of these controversial issues as some of the people here then they would have taken care of it already. But it would really be nice if we could have some sort of ruling by TPTB. Even if they say they just don't give a darn! I could live with that.

Paint, have you thought that maybe where you live is one of a few places that accept these practices? I think the majority has spoken and showed that at least in these forums, the majority doesn't like this crap.

Possibly but if you check my profile, you will see I travel a lot to cache and have visited and cached with cachers in many states and even countries. My comment was not based merely upon cachers in my area but cachers I have met and cached with from many different areas of the world. The overall negative opinion of the forums is widespread and common - even prevalent in my experience. My point is these forums are not representative of the overall geocaching community or their attitudes. Therefore, a poll taken in here is interesting and reflects the general attitude of the forums ONLY. If you're interested in finding out the prevalent attitude of geocachers in general, you might inquire about the results of the recent survey that was done. That may shed some light on this issue - if not specifically, at least in general.

Paint, have you thought that maybe where you live is one of a few places that accept these practices? I think the majority has spoken and showed that at least in these forums, the majority doesn't like this crap.

Possibly but if you check my profile, you will see I travel a lot to cache and have visited and cached with cachers in many states and even countries. My comment was not based merely upon cachers in my area but cachers I have met and cached with from many different areas of the world. The overall negative opinion of the forums is widespread and common - even prevalent in my experience. My point is these forums are not representative of the overall geocaching community or their attitudes. Therefore, a poll taken in here is interesting and reflects the general attitude of the forums ONLY. If you're interested in finding out the prevalent attitude of geocachers in general, you might inquire about the results of the recent survey that was done. That may shed some light on this issue - if not specifically, at least in general.

Ok I am inquiring..........spill the beans

If you're interested in finding out the prevalent attitude of geocachers in general, you might inquire about the results of the recent survey that was done. That may shed some light on this issue - if not specifically, at least in general.

Ok I am inquiring..........spill the beans

You're asking the wrong guy. I answered the survey but haven't seen the results. I expect you will have to ask Groundspeak for them.

Do you feel logging event caches and/or pocket caches is a correct thing to do?

Log an event cache, once? Yes. Pocket caches do not qualify for logging on gc.com

Do you feel the record set at Geowoodstock should stand as legit?

No record was set, except a self serving one

Do you feel that the record found caches in a 24 hour period should allow the finder to set their own rules?

Definitely not.

Edited by Harry Dolphin

No

No, It was set in very poor taste and any record setting like this is harmful to this sport/hobbie....IMO

Do you feel that the record found caches in a 24 hour period should allow the finder to set their own rules?

Who cares!

Edited by Team Jsam

I log an event cache once, but that includes my own hosted events. Do I tax one brain cell worrying what others do to find happiness with their game? No

Yes. It has to be a record of some sort given the scope of the endeavor and since it isn't sanctioned why should I tax one brain cell worrying what others do to find happiness with their game? NOW, if someone goes and gives away more than 13,000 caches and I'm not there to see it..... Well, I better get one in the mail. <_<

Who cares? Until there is a sanctioning body it's anyone's lie. They can make it as big as they want. It will affect me about as much as a popcorn fart in a hurricane.

Edited by Snoogans

#1 is actually 2 questions. An event cache, as I understand it, and have both hidden and found them, is placed for the event attendees to find using a GPSr, and as such, is an actual find for the period of the event. A pocket cache is there to be signed by all attendees, requires no GPSr or hunting skill, and is basically a freebie, so is not an actual find, IMHO.

Have I logged both of these kind of finds? Yes, though upon reconsideration, the pocket cache variety should not count in the total number of finds, and I'm going to quit logging them, and logged none for GW4. My event caches that involved hunting and active participation should stand, and I will still continue to log. Will other people log pocket caches and leave them logged without a guilty conscience? Yes, and I bear them no ill will. We all play the game the way we like it, and I won't play your type of geocaching, and you may not like to play mine. That still does not mean that you can dictate my, or anyone else's, type of geocaching. There have been too many people slowly working themselves toward a stroke by dwelling on this topic, and it needs to go away, unless the official Geocaching powers-that-be make an edict one way or another.

Questions # 2 and 3 are for people who have more daily finds than me to discuss, and unless there are some type of official written Geocaching.com rules and money on the line for a "winner", that we don't need to worry about, or even recognize some type of record number holder.

1. no. not only are these not permanent caches, they are often 'found' as part of cache machines where attendees parade through a route of caches, all of which have been 'found' and are sitting about in the process of being signed as each attendee strolls up. They are BS, plain and simple.

2. no. Not that it matters. The only place for the record to be announced and recognized are these forums, and the 'record' has been soundly repudiated here. Not only were none of the logs signed, they admit to repeatedly "splitting up" in such a way that none of the participants actually found all of the caches. It's BS, plain and simple.

3. no. I think that anyone who is planning on finding a record number of caches in a 24 hour period should go seek psychiatric help.

... If you're interested in finding out the prevalent attitude of geocachers in general, you might inquire about the results of the recent survey that was done.

Ummm... This is a recent survey regarding the prevalent attitude of geocachers in general.

I honestly believe that those that lead with the argument that forum posters are not representative of all cachers is silly. It is an attempt to minimize the opinions of those that disagree with you and I think its pretty transparent. Look around. We are a very diverse group and generally hash out all sides of issues.

One possible reason that the general consensus has been overwhelmingly against the recent actions is that the actions are wrong and, in my opinion, dishonorable.

how long is this dead horse gonna be beaten? The point has been made. I was there, I saw it, I was not impressed. It has be hashed and re-hashed a gazillion times. Time to let it go. Take a deep breath, back slowly out of the forums, and take nice walk in the woods to a cache. Trust me, you will feel better almost instantly. :ph34r:

If that's such great advice, why don't you take it?

The point clearly hasn't been made, because them they didn't get it still haven't got it. Perhaps they're lost causes, but never mind. You know why you beat a dead horse? So all the other horses think, "whoa! I don't think I want me any of that, if I can help it."

I have not been able to take it because I have been logging finds from our run to GW4 <_<

As far as number padding goes, I can't agree with you more that is is just not right. Are those who do it lost causes? Probabaly are. You either have the ethics to play nice or you don't. One of the cool things in our game is that it self corrects without outside influence. Folks who inflate there numbers get caught, and then get a reputation for pumping up there finds. We had a local cacher who really did some silly things to pump up their find count. We all know about it, and no one takes this users finds total seriously.

The really scary part, to me, is how polarizing this issue has been to folks. It worries me to see the amount of anger and unpleasantness in these threads. In the end, it is still a game, something I do for fun.

I hope I did not upset you AuntieWeasel, I have always enjoyed reading your posts.

... If you're interested in finding out the prevalent attitude of geocachers in general, you might inquire about the results of the recent survey that was done.

Ummm... This is a recent survey regarding the prevalent attitude of geocachers in general.

I honestly believe that those that lead with the argument that forum posters are not representative of all cachers is silly. It is an attempt to minimize the opinions of those that disagree with you and I think its pretty transparent. Look around. We are a very diverse group and generally hash out all sides of issues.

One possible reason that the general consensus has been overwhelmingly against the recent actions is that the actions are wrong and, in my opinion, dishonorable.

Oh yea? :ph34r:

Then why hasn't Groundspeak released the results??? B)

Riddle me this Boy Wonder: How long ago did we all take that survey anyway? :ph34r:B)B):laughing:

Gee, this is my first post in almost a week; our DSL was down for 7 days due to a series of majorly massive electrical storms early last Wednesday morning!

I vote:

No; I prefer that temporary event caches, pocket caches and "retirement card" or "retirement clause" caches not be logged on geocaching.com, but I think that it is a neat idea if folks wish to log such finds on other websites, either other geo-related websites, or on social-networking websites!

Only as a personal memory of a team adventure in the minds of the team members; certainly not as any kind of geocaching record, nor GeoWoodstock record, nor as a geocaching.com/Groundspeak record. In fact, I feel a bit appalled that the team even attempted to claim such a thing!

No. No. Let me say that one more time: No. Okay, one more time: No!

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

As far as number padding goes, I can't agree with you more that is is just not right. Are those who do it lost causes? Probabaly are. You either have the ethics to play nice or you don't. One of the cool things in our game is that it self corrects without outside influence. Folks who inflate there numbers get caught, and then get a reputation for pumping up there finds. We had a local cacher who really did some silly things to pump up their find count. We all know about it, and no one takes this users finds total seriously.

The really scary part, to me, is how polarizing this issue has been to folks. It worries me to see the amount of anger and unpleasantness in these threads. In the end, it is still a game, something I do for fun...

I agree with you about number padding being silly, unnecessary and not really part of our sport/game. Are the fols who do it "lost causes"? No, not to me. Rather, they just choose to play the game in a way that I do not, and in a way that is conter to generally-accepted principles in the geo world, and further, in a way that I personally feel is kinda silly. Does that make those people bad people or "lost causes"? Of course not. They are just people, and as I have said before, I woiuld be happy to sit down and chat over a burger and apple crisp at a geo event with any of them.

Lastly, I must agree somewhat with your observation about how polarizing this issue became in our community. While I do not find it scary, I do find it kinda sad that some folks, particularly some folks on the anti-padding side (which is the side on which I generally fall), seem to have forgotten that this is a game, and a social game at that, and instead, some have engaged in throwing insults, invectives and even personal threats of bodily harm at the people whom they perceived as "offenders". Such stuff is not of my world, and I would prefer that such hostilities not surface here. Yes, I am among the first to point out how silly and even ridiculous I feel some of the "numbers-padding" behaviors have been, but I cannot and will not judge anyone for it, and I refuse to take it all very seriously!

And... on a closing note: this is only my second post in one week; our DSL lines were down for 7 days due to a series of major and massive electrical storms early last Wednesday morning!

Okay, gotta run.... now I gotta go switch to my sock puppet account and send a post to this thread, agreeing with all of the comments which I have made in this post and complimenting Vinny for his "wonderful observations and his erudite pontifications"!

Well, I live in Maryland, and very few cachers in MD and in regions near our state's borders, such as nearby portions of WV, VA DE and PA, are active on the national forums. Yet, when I attend any regional geo-events, where 99% of the attendees never post in these forums (although more than a few "lurk" and read the posts voraciously!), the opinions which I hear over and over again on this matter of numbers-padding from the vast majority of local cachers is one which is even more conservative than mine (i.e., very much anti-numbers-padding...). Same for what I hear from local cachers -- who are not active on the national forums -- via phone calls, e-mails, and even via PMs sent through our local state geocaching organization (MGS, at http://www.mdgps.org ).

Then why hasn't Groundspeak released the results??? B)

Were they supposed to? Where are you going with this? This isn't a black helicopter thing, is it?

Riddle me this Boy Wonder: How long ago did we all take that survey anyway? :ph34r:B)B):ph34r:

:laughing: I don't know, a couple of months? You do realize that everyone didn't receive that survey, don't you? I still don't get your point. Edited by sbell111

Is there a site where I could log finds, no matter what kind - permanent, temporary, pocket, blah blah rather than using gc.com?

Yes for caches found with a GPS, even though temporary (some are in state parks and cannot be left there).

No for pocket caches (people here have changed my opinion on this - thank you) even though I logged some at the last event since I did not know any better. l plan change them to notes as soon as I can figure out which ones were which.

Don't know enough about it, have not followed the events much.

Well, I live in Maryland, and very few cachers in MD and in regions near our state's borders, such as nearby portions of WV, VA DE and PA, are active on the national forums. Yet, when I attend any regional geo-events, where 99% of the attendees never post in these forums (although more than a few "lurk" and read the posts voraciously!), the opinions which I hear over and over again on this matter of numbers-padding from the vast majority of local cachers is one which is even more conservative than mine (i.e., very much anti-numbers-padding...). Same for what I hear from local cachers -- who are not active on the national forums -- via phone calls, e-mails, and even via PMs sent through our local state geocaching organization (MGS, at http://www.mdgps.org ).

I am just speaking from my experience. For the record, I have spoken with cachers (who I have cached with) from VA who tended to be more libertarian in their views of geocaching. I am not disagreeing with you or your experience. Many times the answer we receive is colored by the way we ask the question. I bet I could ask the same question (more or less) and receive 2 totally different answers merely because of the way I phrased it e.g. If I asked if it is OK to pad your numbers by cheating, I am sure I would get a 99.999% NO response, if I reworded the question to ask if it was OK to log a cache you found at an event by hiking to it, I bet I would get the same percentage of YES responses. Unfortunately, both of these questions have been asked regarding THE SAME cache. I did not know that some of the caches hidden in the woods that I had to hike to were moved from other places temporarily and would later be branded as hidden by liars and found by cheaters. The bigger issue here IMO regards whether the guidelines should be interpreted narrowly by a few or more broadly as I believe the majority of geocachers want.

To say this more succinctly, I guess the difference mught be in what is defined as "number padding.

I am just speaking from my experience. For the record, I have spoken with cachers (who I have cached with) from VA who tended to be more libertarian in their views of geocaching. I am not disagreeing with you or your experience. Many times the answer we receive is colored by the way we ask the question. I bet I could ask the same question (more or less) and receive 2 totally different answers merely because of the way I phrased it e.g. If I asked if it is OK to pad your numbers by cheating, I am sure I would get a 99.999% NO response, if I reworded the question to ask if it was OK to log a cache you found at an event by hiking to it, I bet I would get the same percentage of YES responses. Unfortunately, both of these questions have been asked regarding THE SAME cache. I did not know that some of the caches hidden in the woods that I had to hike to were moved from other places temporarily and would later be branded as hidden by liars and found by cheaters. The bigger issue here IMO regards whether the guidelines should be interpreted narrowly by a few or more broadly as I believe the majority of geocachers want.

To say this more succinctly, I guess the difference mught be in what is defined as "number padding.

Well . . . when you look at the logs for an Event like this one, I would think people might think it is "number padding" just because the log type is "Attended" icon_attended.gif, yet there are many, many, many logs by individuals.

How many times can you "Attend" an event? :laughing:

<snip> I hope I did not upset you AuntieWeasel <snip>

Good lord, no! You're going to have to try a lot harder to upset me. I've put on a lot of weight in the last ten years and I'm really embarrassed about it; you could try starting there.

B)

I'm glad we are cool, my Forum-Fu is weak, and I am unskilled newbie. :laughing: I will read and learn and try to improve. I'm better at this kinda stuff in a bar over a beer or two.

The really scary part, to me, is how polarizing this issue has been to folks. It worries me to see the amount of anger and unpleasantness in these threads. In the end, it is still a game, something I do for fun.

An excellent post! My own views are always going to be somewhat skewed by my perceptions. It's the nature of the beast. I think I'm still in the "geohippy" phase of my development, where all's good that ends good. My personal definition of sin is unnecessarily harming someone else. Everything else listed as a sin is invented nonsense. (IMHO)

Even though I'm a bit of a hippy, I'll still sing the praises of the "geopuritans", those good folks with strong moral values, who think right is right and wrong is wrong. Where my own panties get bunched up is when I read posts from the "geofascists", those folks who feel that anybody who disagrees with them must have copious amounts of insults heaped upon them, to include liar and cheater.

As I've grown older, I've discovered that arguing with a fascist is akin to trying to teach a pig to dance. No matter what level of competence you bring or degree of effort you put forth, your only accomplishments will be tiring yourself out and annoying the pig.

Well . . . when you look at the logs for an Event like this one, I would think people might think it is "number padding" just because the log type is "Attended" icon_attended.gif, yet there are many, many, many logs by individuals.

How many times can you "Attend" an event? :ph34r:

We don't do things like that around my neck o' da woods but it doesn't bother me if they do it. I play so I can sleep at night comfortable in the knowledge that every smiley I have counted as a find meant something to ME. Some would find fault with some of my finds but I am comfortable with everyone of them. Some I even did specifically to poke fun at someone I thought was getting too serious. e.g. for my 1000th find I posted my own event in my own honor and then me and my friends had quite a laugh at the indignation that came of it. I was taking some heat from a local purist or 2 who didn't believe it was even possible for someone to find THAT many caches. That may seem like a ridiculous statement now but when I hit 1000 it was a rare mark and I was the first in Florida to hit that number. Does it bother me that many have surpassed my numbers? Not at all... except that I must confess I wish I was retired and could do nothing but cache too! LOL! Anyway..... if they are happy with their find count, then I am too.

In fact, as an example of how out of hand all of this number worrying has gone, I thought out loud the other day while out caching with some of my caching buddies about making up a sock puppet account and logging EVERY geocache in the entire world just to see the uproar. B) Of course, I am telling you about this as a braking mechanism on my impulses.... :laughing: that should keep me from actually doing it. Though you must admit it would be pretty funny to see the reaction. If it weren't for all the work it would cost me and Groundspeak and the cache owners, etc etc etc blah blah blah

Having been raised by a pack of wild hippies, NOTHING irritates me more than the idea that doing your own thing and not being judgmental is the ultimate moral position. No, wait. Something else irritates me more: the idea that doing your thing and not being judgmental and messin' with the straights is so totally and obviously superior to all other attitudes that everybody (not counting the squares down in Uncoolsville, and who counts them?) AGREES that the moral high ground belongs to the nonjudgemental, merry prankster agent of chaos. Fatuous, mellower-than-thou, postmodern horsepoop.

AUUUUUUUUGH. The patchouli, man! The patchouli!

I log when I attend an event. I only log it once. I don't log temporary caches at the events. Thankfully I haven't seen a pocket cache here yet.

Nope.

Nope.

Having been raised by a pack of wild hippies, NOTHING irritates me more than the idea that doing your own thing and not being judgmental is the ultimate moral position. No, wait. Something else irritates me more: the idea that doing your thing and not being judgmental and messin' with the straights is so totally and obviously superior to all other attitudes that everybody (not counting the squares down in Uncoolsville, and who counts them?) AGREES that the moral high ground belongs to the nonjudgemental, merry prankster agent of chaos. Fatuous, mellower-than-thou, postmodern horsepoop.

I totally understand and even agree that I was a tad self-righteous in my moral high ground climb.... it was just so dang much fun at the time! :laughing: I deserved my licks from you Auntie Weasel and I'll take them. :laughing::laughing:

Just don't pick on patchouli! It's my favorite!

As I've grown older, I've discovered that arguing with a fascist is akin to trying to teach a pig to dance. No matter what level of competence you bring or degree of effort you put forth, your only accomplishments will be tiring yourself out and annoying the pig.

Just don't.feed.the.pig.

Or something like that... :laughing:

I'm not in on the joke, but someone always posts something like that. I'm sure I screwed it up, but it was fun anyway. :laughing:

All fun aside.... don't think I pretend to be totally non-judgmental. I was quite upset (and judgmental) over 3 geocaching incidents. One was the prankster who took a crap in a cache and then signed the log with their own excrement which was thankfully an isolated incident. The second was an ongoing issue we had in NE Florida some time ago where someone took it upon themselves to start calling themselves the TB Exterminator and caused much frustration and anger in the community by "stealing" TBs and then leaving a calling card saying they were exterminated. Said TBs were all lost forever. The third happened just last year when someone put (un-set) mouse traps in ammo cans as their trade item. The problem arose when someone thought it was funny to set those same mouse traps. We ganged up and did some quick maintenance and took care of the problem.

Those are the kinds of geocaching chaos I take offense at.

Sure, I think it is the perfect thing to do. Every cache found should be logged on its cache page on whatever site it is listed on. Now, if a cache isn't listed on a particular website, I think it is quite silly to log a find on a different cache's page. :laughing:

Sure, they legitimately found more cache containers than anyone else within 24 hours. Since this is not some sort of officially recognized thing, and there are no set rules, let them have whatever record they choose to break.

Sure. Once again, until this becomes something official or sanctioned, what does it matter? If I want to claim I've found more caches than anyone else while hopping on one foot why should anyone else care if I swaped feet halfway? Its all quite silly. now, other practices such as signing the container are a bit less silly, but that horse has been beaten already.

Oh yea? :ph34r:

Then why hasn't Groundspeak released the results??? :laughing:

Riddle me this Boy Wonder: How long ago did we all take that survey anyway? :ph34r::blink::ph34r::laughing:

I never got a survey. This isn't a very fair survey if I didn't get to take it. :laughing: I guess maybe the lefties have someone inbedded in the mailing department. :ph34r:

I'd log the event. Once. It's a listed cache and I have no qualms about logging it. I sign a log book at the event caches I've been to so far and I've logged them online.

Pocket Caches -- I've heard of them. Total crap in my opinion and I wouldn't log them. Why pad numbers that I use for ME? I think it's weirdness.

I don't care about records.

I never got a survey. This isn't a very fair survey if I didn't get to take it. :laughing: I guess maybe the lefties have someone inbedded in the mailing department. :laughing:

LOL! This is probably the first time and place I have EVER been accused of being a lefty! Seems like the world is turned around in here! :laughing::ph34r::blink::ph34r:

I never got a survey. This isn't a very fair survey if I didn't get to take it. :laughing: I guess maybe the lefties have someone inbedded in the mailing department. :laughing:

LOL! This is probably the first time and place I have EVER been accused of being a lefty! Seems like the world is turned around in here! :ph34r::blink::ph34r::ph34r:

It wasn't directed at you paint. It was just a joke. :laughing:

LOL! This is probably the first time and place I have EVER been accused of being a lefty! Seems like the world is turned around in here! :ph34r:;):):)

It wasn't directed at you paint. It was just a joke. :laughing:

I knew you were joking but the funny part is that it is true! gc.com is probably the ONE place in my life that I am a liberal. Though I could just say I am libertarian...... :ph34r::blink::ph34r::ph34r:

This is really cracking me up! :ph34r::)B):ph34r:

(entering manic phase .... muuuuust taaaaake medicine) B)

I never got a survey. This isn't a very fair survey if I didn't get to take it. :wacko: I guess maybe the lefties have someone inbedded in the mailing department. :)

LOL! This is probably the first time and place I have EVER been accused of being a lefty! Seems like the world is turned around in here! :ph34r::):P:)

It wasn't directed at you paint. It was just a joke. :P

I knew you were joking but the funny part is that it is true! gc.com is probably the ONE place in my life that I am a liberal. Though I could just say I am libertarian...... :):lol::lol::lol:

This is really cracking me up! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

(entering manic phase .... muuuuust taaaaake medicine) :blink:

You work in a library? :anibad::):P:P