I Hate Trees!

Decided it was about time I got my count over 100 today, I selected a bunch of caches in the area, hell of a lot more nowadays, new batteries and headed out to round up the 12 caches needed.

Got a good start then hit caches with trees. I really don't remember these being this difficult. It's 20 foot over there, no it's 200 ft back that way, wrong 50 ft into the field. Aaaaggghhhhhh!

9 caches, 4 dnf's. I don't think I ever had that many dnfs in one day. I must have lost the touch :anitongue:

Decided it was about time I got my count over 100 today, I selected a bunch of caches in the area, hell of a lot more nowadays, new batteries and headed out to round up the 12 caches needed.

Got a good start then hit caches with trees. I really don't remember these being this difficult. It's 20 foot over there, no it's 200 ft back that way, wrong 50 ft into the field. Aaaaggghhhhhh!

9 caches, 4 dnf's. I don't think I ever had that many dnfs in one day. I must have lost the touch :anitongue:

add a chainsaw to the kit you carry

A GPS receiver with a modern chipset makes a tremendous difference I have found. My new GPS is a million times better at retaining a good signal under trees etc. If you have some spare cash I can certainly say you will be very impressed at the improvement over an older GPS receiver.

My car has an athermic windscreen, which greatly reduces GPS signals. My old GPS V can't even get a signal through the screen, my new bluetooth gps will work in the glovebox.

Edited by Cryptik Souls Crew

A GPS receiver with a modern chipset makes a tremendous difference I have found. My new GPS is a million times better at retaining a good signal under trees etc. If you have some spare cash I can certainly say you will be very impressed at the improvement over an older GPS receiver.

I'd never get away with that! I have two Garmin's, used for hillwalking and geocaching, usb for the pc in the landrover, and a bluetooth for tomtom. Her indoors would have a fit if I announced two of them were no longer any good for geocaching and I need another one!

I always used to find caches in trees. I reckon I've just lost the knack :anitongue: Even found one once no-one else could find so they moved it to a new home.

Just look for an unnatural pile of twigs - should solve 99.9% of woodland cache placings. :ph34r:

I have made an interesting observation with my basic eTrex, that being when there is heavy cloud cover the accuracy in trees is okay but all over the place when clear. I guess it is because the cloud is absorbing some of the signal that lessens it bouncing around the foliage. Be careful of trees however, they are surprisingly easy to fall out of. :)

X-Series should do the trick... :D

You mentioned that you have a Blue tooth GPSr.

Which model is it?

If it has a Sirf III chipset in it, such as a Globalsat BT-338 or similar it will keep a signal under any sort of tree cover, you could use this with your PDA and GPS Dash or Beeline. (or even Memory Map).

That's what I have been doing recently...

...hoping for a nice new 60csx for my bithday mind you, so don't mention to Mrs Mars Bar that I can do without it. :)

I NEED IT!! :D

you could use this with your PDA and GPS Dash or Beeline. (or even Memory Map).

Absoloutly not! The insurance company will start checking up on me as I'm already on my fourth PDA due to water damage!

I used to find these without any problem. We have had a lot of rain lately and the ground cover at Sprigs Trig is probably why I'm not finding that one. Pretty sure I have the right location but so far, two visits now, I've just found a well hidden empty bottle.

By the time I got to the Grindle it was getting dark so no chance of spotting anything when you add dark to that location.

I'll get em. :)

Trees. The natural enemy of GPS signals and Marc Bolan.

I put it down to Global Warming. You see the gradual increase in temperature since 2003, plus the reduction in summer precipitation has has resulted in a changing leaf structure in our native trees. By increasing the thickness of their cuticle layer over the epidermis and reducing the number of stoma they can control the rate of transpiration and hence water loss; unfortunately this results in thicker more shiny leaves which inhibte the passage of EM waves producing the effect that Icenians has reported since his last caching outing! :D:antenna::antenna:

But seriously, does this mean I have to stop chasing down your caches on other sites. I'm half way through On Location With Dad's Army, which I started as TCDD but yesterday became GC73D7, I'm confused - particularly at the 2nd Stage which I reached at 9pm there seemed to be a lot of cars and activity going on for such a remote forest car park - left swiftly before I was invited to join the party!

Anyway can't wait to see what new treats you have in store, particularly as it will save me having to sub nobby.nobbs for petrol money! :D:):antenna:

[i'm confused - particularly at the 2nd Stage which I reached at 9pm there seemed to be a lot of cars and activity going on for such a remote forest car park - left swiftly before I was invited to join the party!

Your confused! No wonder, from memory that stage is in the center of Thetford! :) Wouldn't go there at 9pm either though :D

UACEB ZRYNK KJDYM XSAOF XUWAW ARSN :lol:

gingerbreadmen Posted Today, 09:48 AM

>>ZBZ TDR BFBGW WYBRV DJSFP XXXGU KEURN UUFDG MUZKW PYQLH LZBFR JUIDI WLKRX GXKXZ GHGJV M<<

JFDCM GRPSK GCUKO FUSPR MRALQ EOESA KLQJK FMNHA CGKHS NPTJB FO

TOP TIP

I find that having a small supply of inexpensive plastic boxes in my rucksack, each containing a small notebook, some IKEA pencils and some MacDonalds toys, ensures I no longer have to log a DNF

Simply leave one of these boxes where you think the cache should be (remembering to write your name with the initials "FTF" in the notebook) and log your "find" as normal.

No more DNFs - EVER!

TOP TIP

I find that having a small supply of inexpensive plastic boxes in my rucksack, each containing a small notebook, some IKEA pencils and some MacDonalds toys, ensures I no longer have to log a DNF

Simply leave one of these boxes where you think the cache should be (remembering to write your name with the initials "FTF" in the notebook) and log your "find" as normal.

No more DNFs - EVER!

COOL!! :lol::lol:

Shall I file this under "It's only a game, we all play it our own way" :lol:

Cheers

Dave

But seriously, does this mean I have to stop chasing down your caches on other sites.

Anyone who knows me from old will know I'm a supporter of ALL listing sites. I will have to archive that one on the other channel sometime soon though as they prefer one site listings. I put this back here as I think it deserves some visits again!