Expensive Gpsr

I am fairly new to geocaching. I have 27 finds, but haven't been out for a month because of a fractured pelvis, and own 2 caches. I go out with a Garmin Etrex Legend, that I received for Christmas, but is worth about $180 Canadian. I also use Garmins TOPO maps with it. Why spend upwards up $400-500 for a GPSr. What real benefits have they got the more entry level units. Can anyone justify spending tons of money on something that will eventually get dropped, smashed, sunk?

What's your opinion.

I cache with my Legend quite often, it works great.

I also have a 76cs I use for auto-routing and it has a lot of memory for long trips. Some of us have uses for the more expensive models and some of us just like bells and whistles. Nothing wrong with that.

Count me as another happy b&w Legend user.

However, the new GPS receivers, particularly teh Garmin 'X' series (dunno about Magellan) have several nice features. Larger, color screens are nice, expandable memory is fantastic (more maps!), and teh SiRFIII chipset provides MUCH better satellite lock over earlier models.

Additionally, many 'expensive' units have an electronic compass and an altimeter. The compass I could use, the altimeter not so much.

Yeah, I want one of teh "x" units. :anitongue: Love my Legend, but love the extra suff, too.

Why spend upwards up $400-500 for a GPSr. What real benefits have they got the more entry level units. Can anyone justify spending tons of money on something that will eventually get dropped, smashed, sunk?

What's your opinion.

I own an explorist 600, one of the higher end units. Here are some of the nice features of a high end gpsr.

1. sd card. I have detail topo maps of the entire western states (could have been all of the US if I took the time to load them) in my gps at all times. I also have virtually unlimited pq's stored on my gps.

2. Electronic compass. No more doing the bumblebee dance when I approach ground zero

3. Thermometer. It's how hot??

4. Geocache software builtin. Paperless caching without a pda.

5. purty color screen.

6. barometer. Is that a storm in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

I'm a gearhead. I love the technology behind my hobby dejour and that sentiment applies to all of them.

In my scuba phase, I wasn't satisfied with bulky steel tanks and bubbles, so I got a rebreather.

In a word, "Auto-routing." :anitongue:

I do not know anything about many of the areas of the nearby metropolitan area where I travel to find caches.

My Vista C, with City Select installed on it, routes me around, therefore saving on gas. thumbsup.gif

I was happy with my original Vista, but needed the Auto-routing feature. I also like the faster USB connection instead of the much slower Serial connection.

I am fairly new to geocaching. I have 27 finds, but haven't been out for a month because of a fractured pelvis, and own 2 caches. I go out with a Garmin Etrex Legend, that I received for Christmas, but is worth about $180 Canadian. I also use Garmins TOPO maps with it. Why spend upwards up $400-500 for a GPSr. What real benefits have they got the more entry level units. Can anyone justify spending tons of money on something that will eventually get dropped, smashed, sunk?

What's your opinion.

Memory for more maps. Electronic compass. Accurate elevation readings (true altimeter).

I have pondered this question many times.

Personally, as long as the GPSr is accurate and rugged enough, that should be enough. I currently use a eXplorist 100 (Magellan's base model), and it serves me just fine.

Yes, sometimes I wish I could upload coords from my computer, but the few moments it takes to manually enter a waypoint reminds me that this is not an important option to me.

Yes, I also wish I could download tracks to my computer, and this might be one of the requirements for my next GPRr, but many inexpensive models have this option.

Only reason I have one better than the base model is the same reason I drive a big diesel pickup. Because I wanted it and I could afford it...at least until fuel prices jumped through the roof. I could come up with all kinds of excuses; on sale, expandle memory, mapping, etc; but the simple fact is I wanted it. :anitongue:

So, the only real benefit that might make a difference is the auto-routing feature in the higher priced units. But, I thought that was why we have built in maps? Can it be that difficult getting to an area that you are not familiar with? I guess once you've gone auto-routing you would never go back, but if you have never used it, you don't miss it.

Temperature, altitude, just turn on the weather channel, and it's not like I live in the Rockies.

So, the only real benefit that might make a difference is the auto-routing feature in the higher priced units. But, I thought that was why we have built in maps? Can it be that difficult getting to an area that you are not familiar with? I guess once you've gone auto-routing you would never go back, but if you have never used it, you don't miss it.

Temperature, altitude, just turn on the weather channel, and it's not like I live in the Rockies.

The electronic compass is the best feature for me.

As for the other perks, I do live in the Rockies.

I've got a Map76CS which when I bought it several years back listed for over $500.

Since I also live in the Rockies (SW Colo), the altimeter gets used regularly and I have seen a legitimate elevation reading of 14309 ft and an accurate recorded track of how I got there.

I regularly map Snowmobile trails and ATV trails and it will save up to 20 tracks with 500 track points each and using an external antenna allows me to keep both hands free if needed for climbing or just to keep them warm in the Winter.

I can save up to 1000 waypoints and can view them on Topo maps or on Auto routing Maps.

I got it as soon as the 76CS's became available (several years ago) and it gets used extensively and DAILY.

I put a screen protector shield on it as soon as I got it and the rest of the case is totally scratch free and in perfect condition. I see some pictures on the forum of units beat up and scratched up. That is totally unnecessary, and uncalled for, even if they are used regularly.

Now, why did I get that one? Because I wanted it..... and it had all the features I wanted and I use all of them

I personally like the size and form factor of buttons above the screen. More stable when operating it with one hand. It's NEVER been dropped.

Edited by Grasscatcher

What's your opinion.

Sounds like you found the right GPS for you.

I used a Gamin GPS12 for the last 7 or 8 years and I was quite happy. Just recently it has started to fail and I replaced it with a Garmin 60Csx. I chose that model since I will eventually use it for mapping while driving, but most importantly, the new Garmin 60 & 76 series offers the new SiRF III chipset on some of thier models.

With the newer chipset, it is super sensitive and I NEVER lose a signal, not matter how dense the tree cover is!!!

I can even pick up a strong signal in my basement and inside of my ofice building.

I like the expandabiliy of the MicroSD cards and I figured it was only 30-40 more for the full bells & whistle model (compass & altimeter) which I will use once we start hiking with the scouts laer thisyear....

So in my case I spent the money for the chipset and routing capabilities....everyting was gravy :anitongue:

So, the only real benefit that might make a difference is the auto-routing feature in the higher priced units. But, I thought that was why we have built in maps? Can it be that difficult getting to an area that you are not familiar with?

No, it isn't. You stop your car and check your directions on the map. People have been getting around for ages w/o the help of a GPS.

Clearly, you don't see a benefit to the added convenience of the more expensive units. That's fine. But don't ask for reasons why people like them and then debate their reasons. It smacks of trolling. If all you care about is the barebones minimum for Geocaching, any of the under $100 units will suffice. If you want more convenience, spend more money. It's that simple.

BTW, I don't expect that my GPS will eventually get destroyed. I'm on my fifth one and none of them have been lost or destroyed.

GeoBC

And some times the expensive ones have a convenience that comes in handy. I just tried my first Geocache with my ancient 2000XL - no topo map, just direct line to the goto. Because of that, I ended up walking through some vicious mosquito infested woods, when I could have taken a parallel route on a walking path without the bugs (not as many, at least) if I had a unit with a topo map. Just to add some perspective, I swell up when bitten by mosquitos - each one about the size of a dime in diameter. Not fun. So I'm waiting for my new eXplorist XL before I try another multistage like that. :)

Sort of like my Jag - automatic wipers, so I don't have to reach for the wiper stalk when a transport swamps my car - and yes they're faster than human reflex.

Also sort of like my compound mitre saw & air nailer for doing crown moulding - took me all of 1 hour to do an entire kitchen, or I could have tried doing it with a back saw & hammer - would have taken a lot longer & a lot messier.

I could go on, but the point is sometimes the expense gives you back a little convenience. I'm also a gadget nut, so I probably spend more than I get in the above equation.

I guess the difference between a gadget nut with too much money and a regular person with too much money, is the gadget nut buys toys to do things, the regular person pays someone else to do it. :D

I didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings about owning the expensive ones. Just was wondering if I spent the extra 300 bucks if got alot more bang.

Why I even own a $3000 bicycle, and ooh and awe over the $5000 ones.

I am hooked on geocaching but currently still cache within a 10 mile radius of where I live. So some of the features of the better models I don't need. But once I start caching further from home, or on vacation, I can see the benefits of the extra features.

I am hooked on geocaching but currently still cache within a 10 mile radius of where I live. So some of the features of the better models I don't need. But once I start caching further from home, or on vacation, I can see the benefits of the extra features.

This is exactly what I'm feeling right now. After two years and nearly 600 finds, it is becoming routine/necessary for me to travel 25mi for a day of caching. I know, that's not much to some, but it's still far enough away from home not to know all the roads. I'm finding myself more and more often missing turns and having to stop to consult the map on the passenger's seat. Started with a barebones eXplorist 100, upgraded to an eXplorist 400 that autoroutes but is black and white. Never did buy DirectRoute for it. Now I'm looking at a GPSmap 60Cx or 76Cx ($100 rebate right now), which will get me color, better autorouting, and slightly better receiver performance. First receiver cost me $100, second cost me $200 after rebate. The Garmins I'm looking at run for $367 (60Cx) or $296 (76Cx after rebate). So it's like a $100 step with each upgrade.

Meridian Gold, $180.00 brand new @ Amazon. 512mb SD card. DirectRoute software. Other than being huge and bulky, there is zero reason for me to "upgrade". It will fail someday no doubt. Then I'll replace it with a unit that meets my needs for the foreseeable future just like the Gold. $400.00 - $500.00 for a GPSr, not in this lifetime. :):D:D

Why I even own a $3000 bicycle, and ooh and awe over the $5000 ones.

That hits the nail on the head. It's what you're into. My $250 bike lacks features with value to you, but I'm not into it enough to make them worthwhile.

I'm into GPS. I still have a budget I work with--can't afford to go hog wild--but I'm willing to spend for bells and whistles 'cause I dig 'em.

If I was just into Geocaching, I would have kept the Magellan GPS315, since that was a fun simple GPS, but I do need a BIG SCREEN, to work with because I can be lost with a tiny screen, meaning that a Big screen like on the eXplorist XL gives me a better feel of where I am, in relation to my suroundings.

The eXplorist XL is really cool, and I used it last friday on a ONE day trip, and the ability to store Tracks in folders worked out pretty well, like I called the folder name "PUT-IN-BAY' for an Ohio trip. So neat to be able to store the POI(waypoints) in any file or folder I want.

The GPS that got the most use in the past was my Map60C, because it had done so well tracking the mileage I have acumulated on my feet, and did super well recording the trails I hiked.

I do know one thing and that is that Garmins are more expensive than the Magellans are, BUT the more pricey Garmins do pay for a better customer service that Garmin has.

I have seen alot of Magellan people who originally had eTrexes, and disliked them so much, they got a Magellan, because the Garmins did not do well in the deep woods, but a Magellan person would be able to use a Map60Cx with no problem, with a simple design without the sensors, and holds onto the signal like crazy. So many people have bought the 60CSx instead of the 60Cx, but I prefer the simpler 60Cx model, that behaves quite well, and it is recording trails quite well too.

I Think it really depends on the features you are looking for. I had to have maps (lots of travel) and lots of them, plus I wanted an electronic compass and the ability to tote around thousands of caches, again, because of my frequent travel. Finally settled on an eX600. Love carrying around detailed maps of 1/2 the US in my pocket.

Of course others buy the top model because they can - they used to be called Yuppies. :)

I Think it really depends on the features you are looking for. I had to have maps (lots of travel) and lots of them, plus I wanted an electronic compass and the ability to tote around thousands of caches, again, because of my frequent travel. Finally settled on an eX600. Love carrying around detailed maps of 1/2 the US in my pocket.

Of course others buy the top model because they can - they used to be called Yuppies. :lol:

Yeah and now I call 'em 'Conspiquous Consumers'. The majority don't seem to be frequent travelers though. I really enjoy carrying around the maps of every where we travel too. Can't hardly wait for our next trip to Europe, THAT's going to be fun for sure. Already have our upcoming Denver trip loaded. And that SD thing is so big that I even have kept our maps from our Florida, NYC, Niagara Falls and AZ trips just because I haven't bothered to clean them out, no need to really until I might get tight on SD card space, but who knows if that will ever happen? Then again, with the prices of those things (SD chips) falling faster than the last 'hot' stock pick that I made, I might just buy another chip. One never knows these days. :lol::):lol:

Edited by Team Cotati

If your happy with what you got the stay with it.

Why bother asking us to try to convince you that you should upgrade. It sounds like you never had any intention of upgrading.

How important the auto-routing feature is depends entirely on where you travel and cache.

I live in a rural area and do not know my way around the nearby San Diego metropolitan area which is criss-crossed by hills, valleys, and canyons with many dead end roads. It can be very difficult to find your way around and get yourself back out of some neighborhoods with lots of cul-de-sacs. :lol:

If you live in an area laid out on the grid system, well then, you might not need the auto-routing feature. :lol:

How important the auto-routing feature is depends entirely on where you travel and cache.

I live in a rural area and do not know my way around the nearby San Diego metropolitan area which is criss-crossed by hills, valleys, and canyons with many dead end roads. It can be very difficult to find your way around and get yourself back out of some neighborhoods with lots of cul-de-sacs. :lol:

If you live in an area laid out on the grid system, well then, you might not need the auto-routing feature. :lol:

Another point is if you travel any. I was in San Francisco a couple of weeks ago, and got to see parts of the city I wouldn't have without a gps since there were a couple of fantastic caches (if intererested, rara avis a multi which is based on the maltese falcon and san francisco waterfront which has some great history). I really wouldn't have been as comfortable running around without the gps, and the detailed city maps. I plan on doing the same to St. Louis, Austin Tx and Dallas Tx.

and the SIRF receiver is just amazing. I get surprisingly good reception in the northwoods of wisconsin, which is very dense treecover (can't see the sky for long periods of time). The autorouting here is nice, since it is way to easy to get lost on the old logging roads.

It really boils down to how you plan to use the unit, and the environment you plan to use it in.

good luck!

I have a GPS315 and a Meridian Platinum. I take both when caching and let whoever is with me us the 315. I bought the Platinum in February for the expandable memory and the larger screen. (The eyes ain't what they used to be!) The 315 still finds 'em after 3 years of on and off use.

If your happy with what you got the stay with it.

Why bother asking us to try to convince you that you should upgrade. It sounds like you never had any intention of upgrading.

We'll you are right. I am not thinking upgrading yet. For Pete's sake my Legend is only 6 months old, with only 27 caches so far. Then again, I've been injured for a month and haven't been able to get out. And when I do get out, my 3 yr old and sometimes my 18 mo old come along as well. This really limits the choices of caches you can head out for. And the number you can find in a morning. Just trying to justify in my head how much I should spend when I do upgrade, and whether I would have any use for the fancier features. If you don't have them you don't miss them, but do you really want/need them is the question.

What's your opinion.

Benefits to a Garmin GPSmap 60Cx or CSx over entry level units:

- turn-by-turn street mapping with alert tones (I'm in a new city, regularly visiting new clients in places I'm unfamiliar; this is a necessity)

- SIRF III chipset and extremely sensitive antenna; I'm in Montreal & the clients mentioned above are frequently downtown, between tall buildings. This helps keep a lock even when I'm boxed between multiple skyscrapers

- expandible memory via MicroSD cards; I'm a pilot, I travel. I like multiple map types available at any given time. I've got a 1GB card in my 60CSx and several map types loaded. (topo, road mapping etc)

- connectivity: the number of waypoints I use precludes manually typing them in; a USB interface is a must. I sometimes drive other devices with the data output from the GPS therefore an NMEA port is a must, and an external antenna also useful.

- multiple modes: I bought a Garmin Street Pilot i5 the other week and returned it a short time later. I bike, hike, boat, fly and drive. Being able to configure the GPSr for multiple activities is a must.

The bottom line though: I just WANTED the convenience of all these features.

I've lived without a handheld GPS before, just like you can live without a TV or radio. I could use a map and compass and have done so for a long time. I'm quite happy not to, given the choice.

As to your "dropped, smashed, sunk" point: no way. My stuff gets used, not abused. (and with Lithium batteries, a GPS60 floats, so "sunk" isn't likely...)

:laughing:

Edited by af895

At $379 for my 60csx (from gpsonsale.com, but now $399), I didn't consider it too expensive with the features it offered.

AWESOME SiRF chip (fast and it works indoors and in canyons w/ tree cover!)

Auto routing

Compass

Altimeter

$40 more to add 1gb memory (from ebay)

nice color transreflective screen

USB

proximity waypoints

trip computer

waterproof to 1m