Camo-ing An Ammo Box

Hey everyone. I've just received my 1st four ammo boxes. My idea for my next cache is to hide one of the ammo boxes on the side of a fairly steep hill that is mostly dirt, with lots of trees, leaves around. What I've thought of doing is buidling/making a cover for the ammo box that could be lifted, that could be built from chicken wire, and covered with something to resemble a mound of dirt. Has anyone got any help for me on how to do this? I'm sure it's been done before, but it will be my first foray into camoing something, instead of just finding a natural hiding spot.

Any ideas would be great.

Hey everyone. I've just received my 1st four ammo boxes. My idea for my next cache is to hide one of the ammo boxes on the side of a fairly steep hill that is mostly dirt, with lots of trees, leaves around. What I've thought of doing is buidling/making a cover for the ammo box that could be lifted, that could be built from chicken wire, and covered with something to resemble a mound of dirt. Has anyone got any help for me on how to do this? I'm sure it's been done before, but it will be my first foray into camoing something, instead of just finding a natural hiding spot.

Any ideas would be great.

Well, perhaps spray adhesive and actual dirt from the site?

I have an ammo can hidden in stonework and I painted it with 'fleck' paint to match teh granite it is in. Perhaps there is something similar where you are? What color dirt are we talking about, here? Red, brown, sandy-white...?

There are some natural fiber mats or something like cut to fit a/c filters that you could use to cover the wire, pull ties work to hold it onto the wire and then use anything from silicon caulk to rubber cement as an adhesive to add the natural camo.

Just to clarify, I was not wanting to actually add camo to ammo can, but to make a removable cover for it which would look like a mound of dirt. Just look under the covering and find the cache. Kind of like placing the cache inside a fake rock, but to look like a natural mound of dirt on the side of the embankment.

You should paint the can or use stickers on it so the military writing isn't visible. I wouldn't remove the original army paint, that stuff is tough and really helps prevent rust. Paint over it if you want, but don't remove it first.

For the dirt cover, the chicken wire idea is good, you can use some of that spray foam insulation over it. It's sticky stuff, so put the dirt on it and it will stick. Done right it should be darn near invisible...

But if someone steps on it, it would break the foam.

Just to clarify, I was not wanting to actually add camo to ammo can, but to make a removable cover for it which would look like a mound of dirt. Just look under the covering and find the cache. Kind of like placing the cache inside a fake rock, but to look like a natural mound of dirt on the side of the embankment.

Don't use Chicken wire, because the holes are to large. There's better wire out there that can still be molded. If nothing else use a heavy clothe material, like old jeans, to make your mold/mound. Spray it with the spray insulation, the type you can buy in a can. While it's still sticky, and before it dries and hardens, cover it with dirt, then sticks and leaves. Let it dry and you'll have your mound.

Just be sure to make it big enough to cover your ammo can, and mold the wire so that it has some dips and weaves, much like the dirt around the area your sitting it in.

Once you're finished, show us a few pictures.