Attending Events Question

Hello.....

I am a new cacher. There is an event (meeting) in my area next week. Is it for anyone/everyone? Or because it is a meeting , it is only for certain people.

I am wanting to meet other cachers in the area but want to make sure I don't step on anyone's toes or do something I should not be doing.

Thanks for any help,

Sharnie

P.S. The event does not state it is private.

Nope, open to all unless otherwise stated.

Go. Have fun.

I'm sure you'll meet a good group of folks who will be more than willing to introduce you to others and talk about caching, etc.

(Don't mind the drama in here. We all get bored sometimes and take it out on each other <_< )

In order to be listed as a Geocaching.com event, the gathering HAS to be open to anyone who wants to show up. The only exceptions are for things like a banquet room in a restaurant that can only hold the first 40 people who sign up. If it is a truly private meeting then the people involved will plan that themselves, without publicizing it as an event cache.

Go.

Events are a great place to meet other persons that enjoy this hobby. The first one might be a little scary, but like Snoogans said it will last 2 seconds and then the time will fly by talking about caching. I find events to be one of the best thing about geocaching.

Chris-Team Shydog

I do remember two listed events that were restrictive in nature. One was an event specifically meant to be attended by locals-only somewhere in Canada, the other was a New England camping weekend geared primarily towards women.

In both cases, there was plenty of, let's say, 'colorful discussion' here in the forums.

So the general rule is, if you don't see a public outcry in the forums, you are free to attend. And if you DO see a public outcry in the forums, you are still free to attend, but just understand what you are getting yourself into.

Thanks so much for the replies. I plan on attending then so I can meet others. When it comes to meeting new people, I am a little shy. I hope I don't get too nervous.

Thanks everyone,

Sharnie :grin:

Don't worry. No matter how outgoing people seem in the forums/local boards/logs, you'll get to the event and realize that most people are really quiet and just sit in the group they came with quietly until someone loud shows up (oh...am I the loud one? Oops.) You should fit right in.

At least that's how the events operate south of Pittsburgh in my limited experience.

At most of the events I've attended, there is someone who will approach a "newbie" and help them meet other cachers.

You may want to read the names of the owners and finders of the caches that you've found before you go. It will help when you meet them. "CacherX ? I found your cache last weekend." Is a good way to start a conversation.

By all means ... go ...

It's great to be able to put faces with caching names (you see the names in the logs or as the owners of caches, but sometimes it takes meeting a person to get a feel for who they really are).

Take your caching questions as well ... they'll be great ice breakers as you'll find just about every "experienced" cacher would love to help you with an answer. Also ask about some of the group's favorite caches in your area ... I guarentee you'll get some interesting stories and opinions.

<_< I thought that I replied, but didn't see anything when I went back, so here goes again. I have never seen an event that was for a specific group only. The whole intent of an event is to meet and greet. As someone who will be at the meeting next week, all I can say is WELCOME. Come prepared to meet many of the folks whose names you see in the local logs. You might even find that there are folks from Tinker who you might work with or see daily, who are also geocachers. I can think of at leat 5 who will most likely be there. As noted in RichardMoore's post, the location is not the posted coords. This montly event is held at different restraunts in the area. This months event is in the Edmond area, so that we can here from a member of the local police department about the forced removal of a geocache from a local park. Again, welcome, and hope to see you there.

As a side note, you might add your name as a 'Will attend' on the webpage. This will help insure that there are enough seats in the area for the group. But no matter, come and welcome.

Thank you all for your replies. It is greatly appreciated. I plan on attending.

RichardMoore, thank you for pointing out about the coords. That would have be an "uh oh" for me.....LOL

Team Madog, I will go to the page and make a note of my attendance.

Thanks again to all,

Sharnie <_<

GO!

Cachers are the same all over the world. You will feel like an outsider for about 2 seconds.... :)

Back about a month or two ago, there was an event at the Groundspeak HQ in Seattle. Apparently, it was a time to exchange TB's and/or geocache stories, pick up some swag, etc. Alot of the more active local geocachers were there. I do recall somewhere in a forum (NW perhaps?) of people saying, "met so and so at the event what was supposed to hush hush" (to paraphrase)

I think there was also quite a few of local geocachers who werent aware of this event. The event was private or known by a few who passed on the info to only a few more.

So my point is that we aren't all the same, some are more equal than others.

GO!

Cachers are the same all over the world. You will feel like an outsider for about 2 seconds.... :)

Back about a month or two ago, there was an event at the Groundspeak HQ in Seattle. Apparently, it was a time to exchange TB's and/or geocache stories, pick up some swag, etc. Alot of the more active local geocachers were there. I do recall somewhere in a forum (NW perhaps?) of people saying, "met so and so at the event what was supposed to hush hush" (to paraphrase)

I think there was also quite a few of local geocachers who werent aware of this event. The event was private or known by a few who passed on the info to only a few more.

The brodiebunch is welcome at any of my events along with every other cacher or cacher want-to-be in the world. I'm working on one for the 19th on Aug. Come and bring a friend.

I that's how almost every Event is going to be. Don't let one bad experince put you off what is a lot of fun.

GO!

The brodiebunch is welcome at any of my events along with every other cacher or cacher want-to-be in the world. I'm working on one for the 19th on Aug. Come and bring a friend.

I that's how almost every Event is going to be. Don't let one bad experince put you off what is a lot of fun.

Someone made the comment that a geocaching.com event had to be open to all. Well that was held at the HQ which in my train of thought (known to derail at times) is a geocaching.com event but not open to all or it would have been posted.

I have attended maybe three local events so far so I will not cry on my pillow every night because I missed out.