Event Cache Jo'burg

BornAdventures

Hey TGF,

We live around the area. What are you plans for the event. Most of the time these end up at a resturant over food and drinks. Are we looking at a picnic or an event with things to do and a new cache in Delta Park!!!

Should be fun.

Let us know.

QFC

Hi QFC

I want to organise a race, Similar to orienteering. I know you guys also do orienteering so you should know what I'm talking about.

At the start the participants will receive the coordinates to the first control & at each control they will find the coords to the next control. I should be able to get some EMIT timing chips so we can time everyone & give out a prize to the fastest person.

I want to organise something that will promote geocaching in the area.

What do you think of the idea?

Thanks TGF

The idea is really cool! I am sure we will be able to round up some of the older geocachers :anitongue: <ahem> in the area to join in... + There are plenty of younger cacher-tjies out there :D.

I suggest you give the event a goodly amount of time to mature so that you can grow the interest. It will be quite boring to race against only one or two. We should also add a braai (in true South African style) to the event so that people can be fed. I think that Delta Park has one braai spot (but that is normally busy) maybe a change of location to a less inhabited area is suggested as well.

You might as well propose a date so that people can start posting excuses, like they are going to their dog's sister's cat's Bar Mitzvah… :ph34r:

Let us know if you need any more help setting up the event of spreading the word.

(Part 2)

I should be able to get some EMIT timing chips so we can time everyone & give out a prize to the fastest person.

:D Give us at least 16 months warning so we can start training :antenna:

Good idea though, perhaps we can think up a few categories of prizes so as not to discriminate against the beer belly brigade.... took plenty of time and money to get that belly :)

Do we need permission from JHB parks to race there?

I would think this is going to depend on the size of the event.... don't want to be termed an "illegal gathering" :D Best to enquire, you will probably need to make some arrangements with them.

My second cousins, third niece's godfather's uncle's sister in law is planning a must do chip 'n dip socialite event of note end of August. :antenna: (Ok.. we're just going away on a cache maintenance trip)

Oh yeah, and lest I forget, there's another poppit on the way mid September which may curtail caching activities a tad.

Hi All

The event will be on the 2nd september, it will be called 'The Dash For Cache!'.

Watch this space!

Hope to see you all there

TeamTGF

Bummer! I started looking at this area of the boards just a little too late! I will be in Jo'burg to cache on August 4th and the morning of the 5th before continuing on with the southern Africa cache safari. An event to meet some folks and swap some tb's & coins would have been too cool. Any suggestions for must do caches in the area will be much appreciated though!

PHM

Hi All

JHB parks said 2nd september should be fine, but they will get back to me. Im not sure if it will definately be at delta park, but it will be in the area.

If anyone has any good ideas on how the race will be run, post it on this board.

The format I was thinking was that there are compulsory check points where you will recieve the coordinates to the next check point. Im not sure If I should make the entire race at one venue or place check points at other parks so we would have to drive to reach some. Also If we have to visit some caches along the way it would be great, so If anyone wants to submit a cache that would be unveiled at the race, then send me a message. Maybe there can be a prize to the most creative cache.

Ive chatted to a few stores for sponsorship of prizes, some have been interested and one said that they should be able to lend us a few GPS's for the day for people to lend.

I will submit it to GC.com when everything is finalised.

Hope to see Everyone there!

TeamTGF

Hi YsBeer.

Unfortunately JHB parks took to long to get back to us about the event and then wanted us to rent the parks for an enormous amount of money.

Ive spoken to the chairman of the Rand Athletics Club Orienteers and he is very keen on organising an event. It might become a regular part of the orienteering races someday.

There is an orienteering race this weekend (see this thread http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=142451), you are welcome to come & see what orienteering is all about.