A Sad Day In Nw Geocaching History

Right Wing Wacko

Truth be told, that was one shakey ladder when I went on it. Two rungs were missing and it was apparent it wasn't going to take much more abuse.

The other piece to this would be that's a seriously needed navigation light/signal up there. Removing the ladder makes it just a little tougher for someone with ill or stupid intent.

That being said, I'm sorry to see it go. I have good memories up there looking down at Mopar making his way up.

Edited to add: I got to thinking this is probably the result of that kid falling over the cliff on the way to some caves. Everytime an incident like this happens, a full review of the park's trails and hazards are conducted.

9b797142-df91-4108-adcc-4a2fcd7f540b.jpg

969606f3-62df-4900-bc7d-47d74a661d2c.jpg

Edited by TotemLake

I remember standing there trying to get courage to go up, and this guy came flying down with a fishing pole in one hand, and the remainder of a 12 pack of beer in the other. He just kind of bounced down the ladder.

I figured if he could get down like that, I could get up hanging on for dear life.

Without knowing any of the facts, I'll blame this on lawyers. I was kind of surprised that they allowed anyone up there in the first place... And this was way before I started law school. Weird. <_<

EDIT:

Here's how it looked when I climbed it. Only one branch rung at that time:

57706aba-3e89-472e-9071-4baa7667ef3e.jpg

Edited by Bull Moose

Oh, but going up it wasn't really the problem. It was coming down, where you have to back a few feet down a slanted ramp and then reach hopefully with one foot for that first rung. As far as Weldr, he must have been just catching up on logging it before it's archived. He's been up there before, I'd guess more than once - it's in his territory. He was at the Brownie Hot Fudge Sundae Event passing out his photo CD's, which are awesome.

Everything now is BSL or ASL. Before or after Scary Ladder.

Speaking of the Brownie Hot Fudge Sundae Event, I'll add that Belleterre went up the ladder with a pack that must have weighed 50 pounds; with brownies, ice cream, fudge, spoons and bowls, dry ice, whipped cream, and a folding table with tablecloth. Tough woman, that one.

The scared and the brave went up, each being cheered at the top and bottom. I represented myself by leaving a rubber chicken in the cache.

Goodbye, beloved cache.

I have such wonderful memories from my two trips to Light House Point. The first time, Belleterre the wonder woman hauled a table, dishes, brownies, ice cream and all the toppings up that ladder on her back after carrying it all on the hike to get there! That gal is awesome! :D

All this came up on Belleterre's back!

69b714e4-597b-4700-a398-4461dc0c5c5c.jpg

My first trip up

837614cc-5140-43a1-9b43-c0f77fe7fcfb.jpg

The second time was last summer on another unforgettably fun group outing with CENT5, Moun10Bike, and a bunch of other terrific folks. What a blast! :P:D:D

CENT5 goes up

69b2aa63-3822-4c3d-8a5e-5e518d88d06c.jpg

I am very sad to see this cache go, but grateful that I was able to go there not once, but twice! <_<

Not only was this a favorite cache for me and others, but it was placed by one of my all time favorite cachers who always placed quality caches! Whidbey Walk, we miss you!

I don't believe they are active anymore :anitongue: but still maintain a few active caches.

Not only was this a favorite cache for me and others, but it was placed by one of my all time favorite cachers who always placed quality caches! Whidbey Walk, we miss you!

I don't believe they are active anymore :) but still maintain a few active caches.

I took my eight year old daughter up there a few months ago, when we were camping in the area. She had a blast. Sorry to see this place off-limits now.

I think that those of us who like Scary Ladders should pilgrimage to Nolenators cache on Squak Mountain now.

Crazy Monkey Tripod

That one is a lot scarier than Light House Point - it sways in the wind! :lol:

Looks like a must do before it's shutdown.

Crazy Monkey Tripod is going to be shut down?

It was a toungue-in-cheek statement, but seriously, you'll never know. As this hobby receives more attention, the locations of the caches will receive more scrutinization.

Instead of planning on doing it like some folks did and never got to it, let's do it.

Has nude cacher done this one yet? :)

I had a DNF with my daughter on it early on. I never had the nerve to go back.

I don't think I've ever met Whidbey Walk, but I've always thought kindly of them because of my very early 'Nudecacher Detective Agency: The Case of the Woeful Woodpecker' adventure with their Woodpecker cache. My discussion in the forums about it was my coming out. It was shortly after my initial warning and the removal of all my pictures. This adventure was my re-entry back into geocaching. That was also before ones profile had the gallery to collect them.

However, I've had Crazy Monkey Tripod on my to do list for a long time. It was one of the first entries on my Planning Bookmark list when they first became available. Anyone want to go with me?

Nudecacher

I think that those of us who like Scary Ladders should pilgrimage to Nolenators cache on Squak Mountain now.

Crazy Monkey Tripod

Og said she was going to do that cache with me. ;)

No, I'm not wearing my kilt!

Sheesh! I don't read the forums for a couple of days and look what happens! :D

If this is what I think it is, planning a group dash to Squak Mountain, I'm in. Criminal and I have talked about doing this one for a long time. I want to be sure when I go for it that's it's not cold or raining. I want to take as many scary factors out of the picture as possible.

As far as a date to shoot for, maybe some day in early July? Maybe the first weekend?

And Criminal, go ahead and wear your kilt, just be sure you wear clean undies. :lol:

Has nude cacher done this one yet? :lol:

I don't think I've ever met Whidbey Walk, but I've always thought kindly of them because of my very early 'Nudecacher Detective Agency: The Case of the Woeful Woodpecker' adventure with their Woodpecker cache. My discussion in the forums about it was my coming out. It was shortly after my initial warning and the removal of all my pictures. This adventure was my re-entry back into geocaching. That was also before ones profile had the gallery to collect them.

However, I've had Crazy Monkey Tripod on my to do list for a long time. It was one of the first entries on my Planning Bookmark list when they first became available. Anyone want to go with me?

Nudecacher

If we can walk slow...I'll go with you... ;)

Has nude cacher done this one yet? :rolleyes:

Nudecacher

If we can walk slow...I'll go with you... <_<

I'm sure glad the kilt issue got straightened out. But then, Criminal wouldn't have come improperly dressed anyway :anicute: . If you do it the weekend after the 4th, I'd be interested in tagging along. And I'm a slow hiker, so I'd be right there with ya Allanon.

I have a prior commitment for July 7th through 9th, helping host a fine art show at the club. I could do either the weekend before or after that, say July 1st or 15th. I go slow on those kinds of treks. Do you approach it from SE 118th St. on the south-west side? Looks like about a 600 ft rise in a half mile if the trail is directly up or maybe a mile if it winds up. If both dates would work, we could plan to do the 1st and use the 15th as a backup if the weather is bad. The 2nd and 16th Sundays or any weekday are okey for me too.

Nudecacher

p.s. not to exclude Og's outfit, Criminal, and anyone else that wants to join.

Edited by Nudecacher

I have a prior commitment for July 7th through 9th, helping host a fine art show at the club. I could do either the weekend before or after that, say July 1st or 15th. I go slow on those kinds of treks. Do you approach it from SE 118th St. on the south-west side? Looks like about a 600 ft rise in a half mile if the trail is directly up or maybe a mile if it winds up. If both dates would work, we could plan to do the 1st and use the 15th as a backup if the weather is bad. The 2nd and 16th Sundays or any weekday are okey for me too.

Nudecacher

The easiest place to park is at Sierra Ct. N47° 30.992 W122° 03.486 You'll knock off a lot of elevation gain if you begin your hike there. Moun10Bike has made a very nice trail map of Squak Mtn. He has the Crazy Monkey Tripod area marked on there as "Green House".

Nudecacher

The easiest place to park is at Sierra Ct. N47° 30.992 W122° 03.486 You'll knock off a lot of elevation gain if you begin your hike there. Moun10Bike has made a very nice trail map of Squak Mtn. He has the Crazy Monkey Tripod area marked on there as "Green House".

Thanks, Pandora, that helps a lot.

Now all we need to determine is when we'll try for it. Allanon, what dates would you be able to do?

Nudecacher

(Resurrecting an old thread)

Light House Point was one of the two main reasons I'd been planning to set up the Whidbey Cache Machine in January 2009. The event's still a go, but... dang.

I've read the logs and this forum, and see that the cache is archived. Do we know for sure that the ladder was removed, and not repaired? If so, do we know that it's not been replaced? Is there alternative access to get to the navigation light on the hill, other than the (eep!) rock climbing that Jester suggested?

(Resurrecting an old thread)

Light House Point was one of the two main reasons I'd been planning to set up the Whidbey Cache Machine in January 2009. The event's still a go, but... dang.

I've read the logs and this forum, and see that the cache is archived. Do we know for sure that the ladder was removed, and not repaired? If so, do we know that it's not been replaced? Is there alternative access to get to the navigation light on the hill, other than the (eep!) rock climbing that Jester suggested?

At the time of the North 48 2007 CITO event, the ladder was definitely gone.

I haven't heard anything about it being replaced, but seeing as how it's a state park and would need their permission for another cache to be placed there, I'm pretty sure a replacement won't happen...I'd seriously doubt that anyone would get that permission.