Anyone Using A Geko?

We use a gecko 301 and really like it. We haven't noticed any reception problem under the trees but then again we aren't doing much bushwacking right now due to poison ivy, ticks, and a broken ankle. <_<

If I had to name one thing I don't like is that the screen is small for my old eyes. :D However, we like the size of the GPSr itself because it fits easily in a pocket or a cell phone holder.

I use a 101. I'm happy with it. Doesn't connect to a computer, but I try to pick which caches I go for instead of just mass caching, so manual coord entry works for me.

No reception or accuracy problems. Gets me close enough to figure it out, even without WAAS.

No regrets on the purchase. eBay'd it for $50. I've looked at other GPSr's but I haven't really seen anything that I feel I can't live without. If anything I would "upgrade" to an etrex yellow for the larger screen. I use USGS topo maps and compass when I hike the unknown and outside of GCing just use the GPS as a hiking/walking odometer.

Never tried lithiums. I use alkalines and can run 10-12 hours in battery saver mode. I tried NiMH and they didn't last long, maybe 2 hours in battery save mode.

I like the size, smaller than my cell phone.

I like the simpler GPSr's anyway. To me, if I had a GPSr that showed me how to get to a cache turn by turn, it wouldn't be as fun. I like having straight-line-only-direction and having to figure out my route, not having it figured out for me. That's how I roll.

edit to add hindsight thoughts

Edited by hikergps

I've been using the 101 for a few weeks now, just really got started with geocahing. I've been using it at work a lot for location coordinates on crash reports so it serves the purpose. I'm thinking of upgrading to something with WAAS just for the added accuracy, either the 201 or the etrex legend... I'm still torn.

I've used alkaline AAA batteries for 4 caches, 2 attempts, and about 3-4 hours at work for speed/distance measurements and I still have 1/2 the battery remaining.

Accuracy is ok, mostly never over 30 feet for me even in the woods. Best I've seen was 14 feet in an open parking lot.

I picked the 101 up on ebay... It was $40 buy it now with $5 shipping so it wasn't too bad.

The only downside is the lack of routes. I want something so that I can enter a route and be able to follow it (very useful for fishing/hunting) and store it, that's why I'm looking toward the 201 or the legend.