Geocaches In Downtown Chicago /millenium Park?

scramblerjean

Hi-

Chicago-based Geocachers - I have a question. I'll be in Chicago on Sunday afternoon for about 4 hours and would like to do some caches. Have a travel bug to deliver from the East Coast. Staying near the Hyatt Regency in downtown. Since I don't know the coordinates of the hotel I'm at, I really don't know how close I am to caches. Does anyone know if I'll be walking distance to a handful of potential caches to visit? Thanks.

Hi-

Chicago-based Geocachers - I have a question. I'll be in Chicago on Sunday afternoon for about 4 hours and would like to do some caches. Have a travel bug to deliver from the East Coast. Staying near the Hyatt Regency in downtown. Since I don't know the coordinates of the hotel I'm at, I really don't know how close I am to caches. Does anyone know if I'll be walking distance to a handful of potential caches to visit? Thanks.

Markwell will probably know the answer if you wish to contact him. Stunod, Corps of Discovery, or a check on the GONIL (Geocaches of Northern Illinois) website may help as well. There are certainly several walking caches near Navy Pier (including a neat reflection virtual). And since it's Chicago, don't forget to try the deep-dish pizza at Geno's East or Giordanos to replenish your caching energy.

Hi-

Markwell will probably know the answer if you wish to contact him. Stunod, Corps of Discovery, or a check on the GONIL (Geocaches of Northern Illinois) website may help as well. There are certainly several walking caches near Navy Pier (including a neat reflection virtual). And since it's Chicago, don't forget to try the deep-dish pizza at Geno's East or Giordanos to replenish your caching energy.

Thanks!

Ack, this is something we want get done at GONIL is to have various bookmark lists to help vistors.

If you are staying at the 2233 S King Dr, Chicago, 60616 Hyatt, the coords are : Latitude: 41.852139 / Longitude: -87.618815

Nearest cache is a micro, I Love Chicago! - Neighborhoods - Chinatown.

If you are at the 151 East Wacker Drive, Chicago, 60601 Hyatt, the coords are : Latitude: 41.888063 / Longitude: -87.623547

Nearest cache is a virtual, Stone Faced.

Hope you enjoy your visit to Chicago!

I see Audion has it covered. The reflection cache that Teach2Learn mentioned is this one: Cloud Gate aka The Bean. That, along with the aforementioned Stone Faced, are 2 of my favorite virtuals ever. There are some pretty nice regulars in the area too. Be aware that you may have spotty reception due to the buildings. A mapping GPS is helpful as you can follow the maps even if you lose signal.

Geocoin Travel Bug needs your help!

OK, I went out on Sunday afternoon with a Geocoin Travel Bug in my possession. Its owner is in NH and I promised I would bring it to Chicago w/me and place it in a cache. Well, even with your help I had the darnest time getting to any of the caches locally because the reception was so spotty.

So, since it was my only day out I had to place the coin. Therefore I hid it and attempted to post the "temporary cache" on the geocaching site. But they would not take it since it is so temporarily (only until someone picks up the coin.)

Are there any Chicago geocachers out there that could pick up this coin and get it into a local cache. I can tell you exactly where it is if you want (just let me know) or could post the coordinates here. (which I will do.)

N 41° 53.324 W 087° 36.893

UTM: 16T E 448988 N 4637605

This is what I wrote about it (which didn't get posted)

NAME: Do Nothing Cache

Visting downtown Chicago from Massachusetts and could get readings on my GPS so sporatically that I could never make it to an existing cache. Those tall buildings make it tough. Promised myself I would drop this coin in Chicago (it's trying to see every state)so created a new, temporary cache. It only contains the coin so once you pick it up I will discontinue the cache. It's right along the river.

When you arrive at the spot, you will know it based on the name of the cache. Under a rock.

If you are going to grab it, maybe you can reply back here so I know it's taken. Many many many thanks and if you want to pass this along to someone close to the cache, go for it.

I wouldn't be so sure about that, Audion. Plug those those coords into Google Earth and you will see that they are in the middle of the Chicago River, just west of the LSD bridge.

Maybe you could post a description of where you hid the coin so someone might have a slight chance of finding it...

Edit: adding image...

77b8d49e-ae0a-4e07-b301-6bfd505f64dc.jpg

Edited by Stunod

I wouldn't be so sure about that, Audion. Plug those those coords into Google Earth and you will see that they are in the middle of the Chicago River, just west of the LSD bridge.

Maybe you could post a description of where you hid the coin so someone might have a slight chance of finding it...

Edit: adding image...

77b8d49e-ae0a-4e07-b301-6bfd505f64dc.jpg

ha ha. Just as I said, those tall buildings would test my patience. If you look at the picture and move the location just a bit north to the very end of the sidewalk (land, not water), so you can't go any further, that is where it is. Construction blocks you from going further on the walkway. It is at the end. Thanks. Jean

I'll try to get there tonight... I've got a dinner to go to with the Restaurant Critic (my wife) not far from there. If soembody grabs it first, please post (here and/or the gonil.org forum) so that I know why I failed.

If a description appears here in the next couple of hours, it would sure help. I assume, from the Google Earth work that was already done that it's on the north side of the bridge, probably down the steps to the lower level?

But in any case, I'll go look.

Dick "RheS" Smith

I'll try to get there tonight... I've got a dinner to go to with the Restaurant Critic (my wife) not far from there. If soembody grabs it first, please post (here and/or the gonil.org forum) so that I know why I failed.

If a description appears here in the next couple of hours, it would sure help. I assume, from the Google Earth work that was already done that it's on the north side of the bridge, probably down the steps to the lower level?

Dick "RheS" Smith

Hi again (between meetings)- You can't get down the steps from the bridge. It is closed off due to construction. It is at the very end of the walkway along the river (directly north of the marked location on the photo above. ) I walked to the end of that path and put it under a rock in a garden at the very very end of that walkway. Really easy to find because there is only one rock and only one garden. Labeled with a little sign. If you do grab it, pls. post. Otherwise I will go grab it tomorrow early am and try some other strategy. I can't just leave it all alone in the city and leave the city. It will feel like abandonment! :laughing: Jean

Dick "RheS" Smith

Hi again (between meetings)- You can't get down the steps from the bridge. It is closed off due to construction. It is at the very end of the walkway along the river (directly north of the marked location on the photo above. ) I walked to the end of that path and put it under a rock in a garden at the very very end of that walkway. Really easy to find because there is only one rock and only one garden. Labeled with a little sign. If you do grab it, pls. post. Otherwise I will go grab it tomorrow early am and try some other strategy. I can't just leave it all alone in the city and leave the city. It will feel like abandonment! :laughing: Jean

Yes, I'm home now, and figured out that I was thinking of the wrong bridge... that's what comes of hurrying to check the discussion forums while waiting for something on a client's computer. Anyway....

I'm NOT going to get there tonight (the food critic's editor says that review isn't due until next week), but I will be in the downtown area tomorrow, and am willing to do whatever is needed to pick it up from you tomorrow. I could go to this site (I see where it must be, now that I'm at home with proper software), or pick it up from you... or from your hotel's desk, if you'd leave an envelope for me. I will leave you a PM with my telephone number in a minute... so that we can work something out. I definitely must see a client in Streeterville tomorrow afternoon, so I am coming into your area, and am willing to go anywhere in the city center to make the handoff work.

My best,

Dick "RheS" Smith

Hi again (between meetings)- You can't get down the steps from the bridge. It is closed off due to construction. It is at the very end of the walkway along the river (directly north of the marked location on the photo above. ) I walked to the end of that path and put it under a rock in a garden at the very very end of that walkway. Really easy to find because there is only one rock and only one garden. Labeled with a little sign. If you do grab it, pls. post. Otherwise I will go grab it tomorrow early am and try some other strategy. I can't just leave it all alone in the city and leave the city. It will feel like abandonment! :blink: Jean

Yes, I'm home now, and figured out that I was thinking of the wrong bridge... that's what comes of hurrying to check the discussion forums while waiting for something on a client's computer. Anyway....

I'm NOT going to get there tonight (the food critic's editor says that review isn't due until next week), but I will be in the downtown area tomorrow, and am willing to do whatever is needed to pick it up from you tomorrow. I could go to this site (I see where it must be, now that I'm at home with proper software), or pick it up from you... or from your hotel's desk, if you'd leave an envelope for me. I will leave you a PM with my telephone number in a minute... so that we can work something out. I definitely must see a client in Streeterville tomorrow afternoon, so I am coming into your area, and am willing to go anywhere in the city center to make the handoff work.

My best,

Dick "RheS" Smith

Thanks "RheS" - I am about to hop on a flight back to Boston but did visit the coin today and added a small metal box, paper and wrapped it in a plastic bag. So with the rest of the stuff, it qualifies it as a real cache and I will attempt to post it again. But still, the guy whose coin this is would love to see it posted as picked up. I did a lame job and held onto it for weeks so I feel bad. If you could help it makes its way back into a real cache, much appreciated. Many thanks. Chicago is beautiful.

Thanks "RheS" - I am about to hop on a flight back to Boston but did visit the coin today and added a small metal box, paper and wrapped it in a plastic bag. So with the rest of the stuff, it qualifies it as a real cache and I will attempt to post it again. But still, the guy whose coin this is would love to see it posted as picked up. I did a lame job and held onto it for weeks so I feel bad. If you could help it makes its way back into a real cache, much appreciated. Many thanks. Chicago is beautiful.

I'm pleased to report that I found the temporary cache today... no problems. I considered whether it would be safe to leave there, and decided that it was unlikely to survive the attention of the gardeners... so I've picked up the whole package. I will use the container for a new cache, probably in a Chicago park, very soon.

If you *do* post this cache, please let me know... and I'll go put it back. If I do that, I'll probably move it about 5 feet, so that it will survive longer.

In the meantime, I have got the coin, and will log it into my posession later tonight (after I go back out to the car, where I left it).

Glad you enjoyed Chicago... hope you ate well, and saw some theater, which are the other very fine things to do here besides geocaching. And, of course, meetings... a major industry in itself!

My best wishes,

Dick "RheS" Smith

Good Job! :)

Yes, THANK YOU. It is crazy how much time I spent thinking about that geocoin and worrying about getting it into the hands of some live person in Chicago. I am pretty new to geocaching, and I see how it is going to become addictive. Again, thank you for keeping this geocoin traveling. (I will not post this cache. Consider the contents yours to do with what you wish.

Jean

Yes, THANK YOU. It is crazy how much time I spent thinking about that geocoin and worrying about getting it into the hands of some live person in Chicago. I am pretty new to geocaching, and I see how it is going to become addictive. Again, thank you for keeping this geocoin traveling. (I will not post this cache. Consider the contents yours to do with what you wish.

Jean

No problem... It was fun. I'm sorry I couldn't have met you... I had an Illinois geocoin in my pocket, just in case you turned up to still be around... but I understand the constraints of fitting caching in between work stuff.

I will send you a PM when I dedicate the new cache (using your container) to you.... I've been working on some placements in Chicago parks... easy stuff... and your container will serve there nicely.

Again, glad I could help.

---Dick