Eden Cache

Way too much flaming going on in the forums lately. So how about something new? Here is your chance to post the cache, or description of the cache, that most resembled your vision of the Garden of Eden. That perfect place that where you almost have to cry when thinking back. Raw natural beauty, significant historical value, bonding experience with a child or significant other or just a damned good job of nabbing a total ball buster of a cache.

Lets hear your story and bring back some positive experiences to the forums. :laughing:

... Here is your chance to post the cache, or description of the cache, that most resembled your vision of the Garden of Eden. ...

I was born in the small town of Eden, NY. The Garden of Eden was the name of the local bar. I don't know if it still exists, but a quick check of the maps reveal no nearby caches.

i don't remember the name of the cache, but it was in the Dayton, OH area... we'd done a few that day & had seen some really pretty waterfalls... this area though, was in a small nature preserve-type area... seemed to be completely untouched by the human population... the woods were canopied with lush green leaves, and the ground was blanketed in ankle-height ferns... everything looked and smelled so GREEN... the logs were covered in green moss... there was a deer nearby... the air was cool under the trees, and not a sound to be heard but what little noise we produced... it was just so cool to be in such an Eden-like area so close to the city

My edenic cache isn't just one, but rather a series of caches for a day. The "highlight caches" of the day for me were these two:GCK73N Rose Island Overlook and GCG153 Remembering Rose Island

I ended up there by pure fluke. The cache was in a state park ("was" because they later pulled all the caches out of the park). We had done some caching in the park on Halloween, and found a micro in the woods. I don't usually care for micros in the woods, but this one said it marked the cutoff for the trail to Rose Island.

Rose Island once held an amusement park--back in the early 1900s. Until the 1937 flood destroyed it, folks would go there to enjoy picnics and dance bands. There were cottages and a lovely swimming pool. Steamboats dropped off passengers, or there was a rugged road that some brave souls used to drive there. My aunt remembered going to Rose Island as a young girl, and spoke fondly of it.

There were even legends that the Devil's Backbone (ridge) of the area was once was home to the Talligewia --a group of native americans descended from the survivors of the expedition Prince Madoc of Wales and the Leni Lenape (Delaware) during their "Walum Olum" (great migration).

I wanted to see the place. My husband did too, and mentioned it in his log for the micro. We were new to caching--probably only had about 80 caches under our belts at the time. Shortly after we logged our find on the micro, we got a note from a local cacher, who had hidden some of the caches in the park, and had taken groups out to Rose Island in the past. He loved any excuse to go back out there, and offered to get a group together to make the trip. He promised to take it easy on two out of shape newbies. We agreed we would love to go.

The day finally came--January 29th...We woke up to 40 degree weather and the promise of rain, sleet, and snow. We met 16 or 17 other cachers (the first time we had ever met any of these people) and started the 5 mile long trek to the goal caches. 09b38784-0ae9-4c01-b2dd-305577470e95.jpg

I passed on a couple that were too much for me. We found that snow, and sleet, and rain. 0f3cc93b-00ef-4226-b04a-9c6a3a331c0e.jpg

We slipped and slid on mud and snow. e62558ad-b038-40f4-86cc-98a666713197.jpg

We laughed, and whooped, and forged friendships that day. 049692ff-cdd6-42e0-acd6-e8b43e243b71.jpg

The trails were steep and it challenged me beyond what I had expected.

0f1e0c6f-b3b7-4f1f-a2cc-f57dfc6e5de5.jpg

I got far closer to 14-mile creek than I ever intended, and learned that geocachers take care of each other.

04f59453-c1c8-40ae-a2b1-708de05c50e4.jpg

The group experience was so good that it has led to a regular outing for the local area called Trail Mix, where groups of cachers of all experience levels get together to cache almost every month.

My Eden thus far was at an easy little cache not far off a bike path. I had a WJTB that had been too long in my posession and I'd been waiting for a proper place to drop "Warley" off.

This particular morning I awoke with a horrible migraine: aura, nausea, the whole enchilada. I called off work and went back to bed but I lay there thinking about poor little Warley spinning his wheels in my Mountainsmith. I remembered that a nearby cache had been recently re-activated so I decided to make the quick trip to drop him off. It was probably 90 degrees and 90% humidity - but it's easy to embellish that kind of heat when you're on your death-bed.

I was making my way back a path that was that dry, stiff, bush-hogged stuff, telling myself if I passed out and died, no one would ever know. Future cachers would pass the buzzards feasting on my flesh and think, "wow, wasn't this a 1.5/2.5???" Honestly, I think it should have been a 1/1 but that's another story for another thread. Suddenly, I felt cooler. Ahhhh, sweet relief, I was in the woods! The climate changed from sweltering to cool, the smell changed from dusty to mossy and I knew that today, the buzzards would have to find dinner elsewhere, for *I* had cheated death!

I found the cache in a small "sink hole" not too far from the steep bank down to the creek. After I signed the log and placed Warley in his new home (Godspeed, my little four-wheeled friend!), I lingered there listening to the breeze rustling the leaves overhead, to the rushing creek below, and to the birds warbling their summer songs. There were hundreds of large, green, elephant-ear-looking plants all around. I felt the breeze on my neck and the cool of the earth where I was sitting and I felt like I could curl up right there on the woodland floor and have a nap. I didn't want to leave but seriously, I felt sick!

:anitongue: After the extreme sacrifice I made to get Warley back into circulation, the cache owners picked him up the same day, which was nearly a year ago, and he still shows in their posession - but that's another story for another thread.

So that was my Eden. I eagerly anticipate the next!

Edited to get Signal to play his violin for me

Edited by ...The Girl

I found the cache in a small "sink hole" not too far from the steep bank down to the creek. After I signed the log and placed Warley in his new home (Godspeed, my little four-wheeled friend!), I lingered there listening to the breeze rustling the leaves overhead, to the rushing creek below, and to the birds warbling their summer songs. There were hundreds of large, green, elephant-ear-looking plants all around. I felt the breeze on my neck and the cool of the earth where I was sitting and I felt like I could curl up right there on the woodland floor and have a nap.

I love places like this! Your story made me remember another really cool experience I had caching. Our trip was on a very hot and sticky summer day. We wanted to find a unique sinkhole that covers 8.3 acre and has been designated a National Natural Landmark. A "Lost" river rises here briefly, before disappearing into the earth again

dc90f0d9-3a75-41a4-b7be-2a32bfbaa874.jpg

It was cool and shady by the water, and we lingered there to enjoy the view.

For me it was a cache that my wife and I hit on our honeymoon. My wife isn't too much into caching and when I told her we'd have to hike up a bit of hill to an old ruin she wasn't too excited about it. However, once there she fell in love with the view and must have taken about 8 rolls of film of the view of the valley. I don't have any pictures to post at the moment, but it was definately my Eden cache.

Nore Valley View