New Feature Request - Single Log Per Cache.

WalruZ

This old "you're twisting my words" reply is very close to the "I never said that" reply that some people use when they're out of logical replies.

Dude, I did say that I'd never use the argument that "the website allows it" again and I haven't.

Pretty impressive quoting though. I'm touched that you've paid attention so closely to what I've said. I didn't realize I was that important to you. :laughing:

It can't be that hard to limit each user to one 'found' or 'attended' log per cache, and it's hardly unreasonable. That should not be "up to the cache owner".

That would kind of suck for this cache series... <_<

Why would that suck? It's why it's called a multi. Multiple stages, each requiring work, with the reward of ONE smiley at the end. Everyone goes into it knowing that's the way it is. I guess I should have about 600 caches finds by now then since about 1/3rd of the caches I've done have been multi's of one form or another... heck there's one in Naperville that was like 18 stages! Cool 18 more smileys.

I don't know about you but I would tend to have a lot more to say

:D

I will refrain from getting into the debate over numbers and how the cache placement guidelines can be interpreted... those are no-win situations for everybody becasue there is not one right answer.

And that's about all I have to say about that. Thanks.

:D

I've always been a bit confused

I guess I'm

lame

:):):D:D

In order to log an "attend" on an event, you just have to show up. If there are temporary caches placed for the event you can search for them or not, it's your choice. Let's say you and I go to an event. I walk in, chat with some folks, get something to eat and leave. You walk in, chat with some folks, go out and find the six caches that were placed for the event, get something to eat and leave. But we each just get one "smilie". Sounds to me a lot like you deserve more, since you spent more time and effort.

Ok Richard, howabout this:

We both go to an event, a CITO. You show up, sign the logbook and leave. I show up, sign the logbook, pick up 5 bags of trash, stay after to clean up the event itself and then leave. We both get one smiley, right? Yet I've done so much more. Should I get more smileys just for picking up garbage which is the intent of the event? How about for cleaning up after the event? Fair?

Here's another: Same as above except you stick around and find 5 temporary caches before leaving and do nothing else. You log the event 6 times while I get only 1. Fair?

Last one, real life this time: A regular event. People show up mingle for a few minutes and leave. I show up mingle, take care of some local organization business, help a few cachers figure out paperless caching and end up being one of the last to leave even tho I've got an hour drive ahead of me and it's past 10pm. Do I get more smileys because I've spent more time and effort? Fair?

I don't think any of those 'earn' you an extra smiley. The purpose of the event IS the event, not anything else going on AT the event. That's fair.

The CITO Event:

If you don't CITO, you didn't attend the event. You can't just sign the logbook and call it a find.

And I've never seen a temporary cache at CITO event. Granted, I've only been to one official CITO, but that's because the times that other ones were being held I was doing other volunteer work.

The Regular Event:

But did you find a container and sign a log while you were doing the other things? Isn't that the basis of geocaching?

But once again, you log the way you want, I'll log the way I want. If TPTB don't like it they can eliminate the ability to multi-log.

As many times as this has come up in the past, they have yet to do it. Doesn't that tell you something?

But you miss the point. In YOUR words "Sounds to me a lot like you deserve more, since you spent more time and effort.". What difference is it if the time and effort is finding a temporary cache or picking up garbage? BTW: my examples for CITO events DO happen. I've seen temp caches at them (or at least the cache page said they'd be there and people did log them- here is an example), and I've seen logs for them that said basically "Just stopped by, didn't have time to help but I did sign the log.". Again, the event itself IS the cache, not the activities AT the event.

Edited to add link.

This is my first post, so I hope this works out right. I think you should only one credit for an event. If we are going by how hard it is to find a cache or how much work it takes, then when it takes 2 or 3 tries, should you get that many smileys? Or, if it takes a long time to find one cache, should I get extra smileys? I'm not sure how much time or work there is relates to how many credits. That's why there are degrees of difficulty, etc. But, and event is an event, and you can only attend it once. If they don't want to get the caches approved, then they shouldn't count. Period.

In order to log an "attend" on an event, you just have to show up. If there are temporary caches placed for the event you can search for them or not, it's your choice. Let's say you and I go to an event. I walk in, chat with some folks, get something to eat and leave. You walk in, chat with some folks, go out and find the six caches that were placed for the event, get something to eat and leave. But we each just get one "smilie". Sounds to me a lot like you deserve more, since you spent more time and effort.

Ok Richard, howabout this:

We both go to an event, a CITO. You show up, sign the logbook and leave. I show up, sign the logbook, pick up 5 bags of trash, stay after to clean up the event itself and then leave. We both get one smiley, right? Yet I've done so much more. Should I get more smileys just for picking up garbage which is the intent of the event? How about for cleaning up after the event? Fair?

Here's another: Same as above except you stick around and find 5 temporary caches before leaving and do nothing else. You log the event 6 times while I get only 1. Fair?

Last one, real life this time: A regular event. People show up mingle for a few minutes and leave. I show up mingle, take care of some local organization business, help a few cachers figure out paperless caching and end up being one of the last to leave even tho I've got an hour drive ahead of me and it's past 10pm. Do I get more smileys because I've spent more time and effort? Fair?

I don't think any of those 'earn' you an extra smiley. The purpose of the event IS the event, not anything else going on AT the event. That's fair.

The CITO Event:

If you don't CITO, you didn't attend the event. You can't just sign the logbook and call it a find.

And I've never seen a temporary cache at CITO event. Granted, I've only been to one official CITO, but that's because the times that other ones were being held I was doing other volunteer work.

The Regular Event:

But did you find a container and sign a log while you were doing the other things? Isn't that the basis of geocaching?

But once again, you log the way you want, I'll log the way I want. If TPTB don't like it they can eliminate the ability to multi-log.

As many times as this has come up in the past, they have yet to do it. Doesn't that tell you something?

But you miss the point. In YOUR words "Sounds to me a lot like you deserve more, since you spent more time and effort.". What difference is it if the time and effort is finding a temporary cache or picking up garbage? BTW: my examples for CITO events DO happen. I've seen temp caches at them (or at least the cache page said they'd be there and people did log them- here is an example), and I've seen logs for them that said basically "Just stopped by, didn't have time to help but I did sign the log.". Again, the event itself IS the cache, not the activities AT the event.

Edited to add link.

Edited by UtahRyder

I fail to see a reason why anyone would care how many times another person logs a cache. I'm in this for the adventure and the great views and discoveries. I take nothing from the caches I find unless there is a TB in it. If you are in this for the numbers maybe you should be gambling instead of caching. Forget the numbers and have a great time...... Of course you could play cards with your caching activity... Anyone ever thought about a series of poker run caches?

Think I'll go start a new topic......