The Ultimate Father's Day Gift

Team_Farmers

Our dad has just bought himself the new Toyota Landcruiser - and has been in heaven since (not sure if it's one of those mid-life crisis scenarios we all hear about), but he is really keen on getting out more and exploring our beautiful country, and what better way to do it than by geocaching? :rolleyes:

Anyways, Fathers day is coming up (with his birthday the day after), so my brother and I want to get him a GPSr that he can take geocaching, as well as use in the car for auto-routing (for business) and for bundi-bashing around the rest of the continent.

We've been looking at the Garmin 60C - which we're not sure if it will take the SA Maps and all the 4x4 routes around Southern Africa. Any suggestions?

Edited by Team_Farmers

Go ahead ... with this idea you've made my day ... and I believe you will make his too!!!

I'm more than pleased with my Garmap 76CS - enough memory, autorouting WITHOUT voice prompt, colour, barometer/altimeter, waterproof and long batterylife, can take external aerial. I understand the newer x-models can take memory card as well.

Wow, me sounds like salesperson... I not speak with forked tongue

Ditto about T4A-maps like in previous post ... excellent, high standard

Edited by Wolkynou

Go for a 60CX or 60CSX.

"X" denotes removable memory cards. The units take micro SD cards, and you can get 1Gb cards for the unit. They come with 64Mb.

By example, the current version of SA maps are about 56Mb. Included with the unit if purchased in SA. If you buy in Europe and then buy maps, will cost you the same as the local purchase.

Along with tracks4africa, there is also an African road atlas (now autorouting) available from Garmap. Haven't seen it so can't comment.

Automotive mount and power cable (cigarette lighter type) separate unfortunately.

ENJOY, hope to see your Dad caching like mad..... very theraputic :laughing:

Thanks guys, I think my dad will really like this - though I don't think my mom knows what she's in for! <_<

So how would I go about purchasing the 60CX from Europe? (Other than buying a plane ticket :laughing: ) Do you recommend a particular website?

Edited by Team_Farmers

My suggestion is to buy it from the US. I've just bought a Cx and then a CSx from the states and they were both much cheaper!

I will have a look for the address where I bought from...

Ok, this is the address for the CSx: eBay Garmin

Thanks guys, I think my dad will really like this - though I don't think my mom knows what she's in for! B)

So how would I go about purchasing the 60CX from Europe? (Other than buying a plane ticket B) ) Do you recommend a particular website?

Edited by ZAteam

So how would I go about purchasing the 60CX from Europe? (Other than buying a plane ticket <_< ) Do you recommend a particular website?

Just remember to add on the R2500 for SA maps software and you will not have a local warranty on the unit. For you to do the sums and determine the risk. I've never had a problem with a Garmin unit..one never knows though.

As per my earlier post, buying it in Europe, will not save you a penny if you plan to buy software locally.....unless the plan is to get dad to buy the software... :D

Lucky Dad.

Ok, this is the address for the CSx: eBay Garmin

Thanks for the address ZAteam... the price does seem a lot lower than the units here, and you've never had any problems?

Nope, havn't had any problems(yet). I'm not living in SA(any more), I'm in the Netherlands now. I paid the required 19% VAT(Dutch) and it was still a lot cheaper than bying it anywhere else in Europe. I don't know what the tax/import will be in SA.

Keep in mind that Garmin SA might not support the warranty. I know that if I have a problem I would have to send the unit to the UK. But for me it's still worth it and these units are quite sturdy and reliable.

As for buying through eBay, I find it very reliable. Just check out the sellers rating and if that's ok, you'll find that they try their very best to ensure a smooth transaction.

Hi,

60CSX is brill - just got mine. Got it from Alfred Branchina - he sells through BidorBuy.co.za

Fantastic service and follow up. Got mine for under R4k delivered to my door within 5 days - though he will only commit to 7 days.

On maps - remember that Tracks4Africa do not support autorouting - for that you need Garmap products.

Slightly off topic - I would have preferred to support local and buy local, but at the premium you pay here and rotten attitude to clients - I decided to rather take the chance and get it sourced oversees.

I need to buy new map software licenses - as Garmap are unit specific, but would have to do this anyway, even if buying the GPS locally, so all in all I saved myself R2500 and you can always courier your GPS to US for repair under warranty.

See posts on other SA forums (google it) around this issue.

Edited by perdix

So much advice... now for ZAlandymans 2 cents <_<

I have just purchased a 76CSx from a GPS City The unit costs R6999 here but I paid R2800, figure that one out? I am lucky enough to have a friend bring it over for me (I get it on Friday... I like a kid waiting for christmass at the moment) So that has kept the costs down. Garmap v3 is about R1700 if I'm not mistaken, its still significantly cheaper, and I've been using Garmins long enough and I have never had a problem.

So much advice... now for ZAlandymans 2 cents :ph34r:

I have just purchased a 76CSx from a GPS City The unit costs R6999 here but I paid R2800, figure that one out? I am lucky enough to have a friend bring it over for me (I get it on Friday... I like a kid waiting for christmass at the moment) So that has kept the costs down. Garmap v3 is about R1700 if I'm not mistaken, its still significantly cheaper, and I've been using Garmins long enough and I have never had a problem.

Hi SQ&ZALM :P

We have purchased Garmin 76CS Jan 06 and have been using for geocaching. It is really FAB!! Got an email from the yesterday saying South African Streetmaps Version 4 Release Coming Soon! Please consider before purchasing Version3. <_<

Out of Garmin news letter:

Our eagerly awaited South African Streetmaps V4 is arriving soon. To say that this product is a leap forward in navigating experience is putting it mildly!

• 36% more routable road coverage

• More than 150 Towns on street level added

• Improved regional road coverage and accuracy

• Point of Interest (POI) Database improved to nearly 52 000 points with a focus on restaurants, fast foods, accommodation, filling Stations, retail, banks and ATMs, government facilities, medical facilities and shopping centres

• Improved directional road signs

Edited by Trackinfind

I emailed Avnic as soon as I heard about the new Streetmaps 4 release and they responded:

Any software registered after the 1st of April will get a free upgrade to version 4 so that should cover you.

Regards

Terence

So you will be covered for the upgrade.

Edited by GS&Dogs

Any of you able to give me a recommendation on a Garmin IQUE M5?

It all depends on what you want to do with the unit. For using in your car with car power its great and very functional. When you planning on doing some really long hikes, battery life becomes a problem. At best you will get 5-7 hours. Sure you can get additional battery from Garmin but at a cost. Another thing that put me off the pda type gps units was the fact that geocaching can be rather rough on electronic devices and the pda type body with the fold away antenna does not suite a rough environment. There are also a few forums which mentioned the fact that the pda functionality is not quite on par with its peers but I cannot comment on that.

The iQue M5 is great navigation and PDA unit, but you wount be able to do caching with it. The unit got Mobile office, Microsoft Windows, Full turn-by-turn guidance with voice prompt and bluetooth technology.

I emailed Avnic as soon as I heard about the new Streetmaps 4 release and they responded:

Any software registered after the 1st of April will get a free upgrade to version 4 so that should cover you.

Regards

Terence

The version 4 will be available in +-3 weeks. I sold 3 units in May that Avnic will send me an upgrade for.

We have purchased Garmin 76CS Jan 06 and have been using for geocaching. It is really FAB!! Got an email from the yesterday saying South African Streetmaps Version 4 Release Coming Soon! Please consider before purchasing Version3. :P

Perhaps we should open a separate thread for this as I've certainly not had the happiest experience with Garmap and know of numerous others that have had the same.

V4... hopefully sans the truckloads of bugs that there are in version 3. Although the coverage is much better in the Garmap product, Mapsources City Select certainly had fewer bugs. On numerous occasions I've been routed for over 100km to reach a site that I'm merely 2km away from :P know that this has happened to numerous folk. The address search result is also far inferior to the old city select product. Garmap in general tends to take you to the nearest street corner whereas cityselect always took one to the actual address. WIP I guess, but should we be paying so much for a product which clearly is still developing?

I'd also like to highlight something that I'm very unhappy with regarding the licensing of the Garmap product. With city select I could register two units that I own with the software. Can also apply with garmin for additional units, and I think this only incurs a small charge. With GARMAP you can only license one unit, end of story. Sorry for you when you upgrade or your unit is replaced.

I queried the following scenario with Avnic after they responded to an earlier email about the number of units one could licence. I buy a unit from an SA dealer which comes with bundled with the software. Something goes wrong with the unit and is replaced by Garmin. Will the replacement be bundled with software? Never received an answer. Take this a step further, if I now pay the upgrade fee to version 4, and something goes wrong with the unit...?

I also had a scenario where I purchased the topographical maps. Memory on My GPSv was limited so I could never use it on the unit, but had to unlock the maps to a unit in order to view the information. Now I have a unit that can take the maps, but I need to repurchase the software as they will not provide me with a second key for a unit which I own and have registered with Garmin :anibad: So, I basically have a dud peice of software. :)

I understand licencing in order that software income is protected and to prevent illegal copies etc. But surely if you can prove that you legally own mutliple units, then multiple licences should be issued, if not for free, then at a minimal charge. It's not like they will lose massive amounts of income... folks generally only end up with more than one unit when they upgrade.

It's this kind of strategy that breeds hackers....

As long as you got the 25 digit unlock code and cd you can load it on your new GPS.

I have tried doing that with Garmap but they refuse to go to my GPS. Says locked map sets on my GPS screen after transfer. Of course I was using someone elses CD and unlock code so can't complain too much! :P

So you guys suggest that we order the unit from the US, and purchase the Mapsource instead of the Garmap for auto-routing?

Shame that it has to go that route. I am struggling to understand why SA consumers are overcharged by so much. I have actually kept my banking in the US despite being here a while because of the incredible fees that SA banks charge. It is actually cheaper to use a US bank while living in SA. :blink:

So you guys suggest that we order the unit from the US, and purchase the Mapsource instead of the Garmap for auto-routing?

Nope, I'm afraid you'll need to go with Garmap.... uses the mapsource engine. The city select is outdated and limited. I ran into one of the directors of Avnic at the airport one day. From what I understand the maps are created under licence by Avnic/MapIT, they also do Scandanavia. So Garmin is unlikely to create a new release themselves.

On the upside, Garmap has created a forum on their website for the product. So make use of it and perhaps we as users can exert enough pressure in order to drive a "cheaper" and better product.

Unfortunately, like many things here, they have a captured market with no competition.

Unfortunately, like many things here, they have a captured market with no competition.

Ah yes... the African Dream!

What gets my goat up as well is that, I hear, when you help them by mapping our some track data they give you a little Thank You letter. Hey! Gas is expensi... correction, Gas Tax is expensive in this part of the world! I want Garmin vouchers! :blink:

B

*Oh, and buy your new-fandangled Garmin now, because it's going to be a whole lot of fun all over again when Galileo os released...

*Oh, and buy your new-fandangled Garmin now, because it's going to be a whole lot of fun all over again when Galileo os released...

True, true. And if you believe the russians......

Enough of a reason for me to hold onto my GPS for as long as possible. Things are changing. Competition is coming to the GPS signal. :laughing:

Be very careful buying certain items abroad. My uncle bought his 2 daughters PS2s in Singapore. When he arrived the one worked fine but the other just wouldnt start up. He took the unit to Sony SA and they immediately checked if it was a grey product. Once they determined that it was indeed not bought in SA, they refused to even touch the unit any further. After much persuasion they finally agreed to look at the unit but only after a R2000 rand non-refundable fee was paid. There would also be no guarantee on their work.

Well if you are fortunate - you will never have any problems with the unit you buy - then again someone will get a dud unit - just hope its not you.

As far as i can see - Garmin is great if you living in a first world country, here in south africa we are always held to ransom by the local support for any product we buy. For the last month I have been waiting for a mount for my GPSr - it was sold out in the entire country. Now a month is a long time in a world where there is constantly communication and interaction between different countries. This is the age of the global community is it not - well not if you live in SA, here it takes two weeks for something to travel from CT - Gauteng. Just remember that if you ever plan to climb Kili and require technical gear, you going to have to start planning 10yrs in advance just to get everything you need.

Yep. Galileo is looming. All sorts of rumours abound, but they reckon it'll be good (well, accurate).

I have even seen advertisements for it! And it's not even available to us mortals yet. The EU will apparently push for legislation that forces car manufacturers to include Galileo as standard equipment. So you get a free GPS (in all likelyhood with auto-routing) with your next car purchase (assuming you live up there). The other side of the coin is that governments want to scrap (meaning reduce, not get rid of) fuel tax. Instead you will be billed for every single kilometer you drive - and some roads cost more than others, and rates vary according to traffic density (and thus time of the day). Just a handy little way for the authorities to keep their pockets lined when we have more electric or hybrid vahicles around... oh, and you can forget about ever speeding again, this will detect it automatically. Fun times!

For the last month I have been waiting for a mount for my GPSr - it was sold out in the entire country. Now a month is a long time in a world where there is constantly communication and interaction between different countries. This is the age of the global community is it not - well not if you live in SA, here it takes two weeks for something to travel from CT - Gauteng. Just remember that if you ever plan to climb Kili and require technical gear, you going to have to start planning 10yrs in advance just to get everything you need.

:D and then the mountain moves :lol:B):laughing:

That reminds me of another story I wanted to relate. I also couldn’t get a mount here, so ordered one when I went to the UK… arrived the next day of course B) You gotta love Royal Mail :D

Anyway, while trying to hook the thing up in Scotland I realized there was a component missing. A little knob known as a Mount Adapter. Why they do this I don’t know…it transpires that that little knob comes with the GPS unit and is not sold with the mount…duh B) . So there I was driving through the windy roads of rural Scotland with my GPSr flying across the dashboard.

I walked into a tiny outdoor shop and enquired whether they sold Garmin products (Monday morning).

>Yes sir

:laughing: Do you have a Mount Adapter

>Huh

:laughing: Much explaining on my part as to what it is.

The shop phoned their Garmin supplier who had no idea what he was talking about. They suggested he phone Garmin directly, which he did. He politely explained that he just wanted a part number from Garmin to give to his part supplier so that they could in turn order it from Garmin as the little store did not have an account with Garmin directly anymore… you follow! Anyway, they pulled up the part number and enquired as to how many he wanted… I said I only need one. Garmin said, no problem will send it in the post. How much the dealer enquired… Garmin: No charge. :D

So, when do you think it will arrive (remember this is rural Scotland and Garmin is in SE England)

> Probably only Wednesday, perhaps Thursday

:rolleyes: Mmm… ok, thanks.

Tuesday morning I was driving past and saw the Royal Mail van leaving. Thought I’d take a chance. The mount was there…. Not only one, they sent a spare too, just in case.

There are some things you just have to love about the UK!

Anyway, thought I would enquire the same of local supplier. At first I was told that the adapter is not provided as a spare part and I would have to purchase another mounting bracket…

B) errr… it’s not shipped with the bracket but the unit.

>Well it’s not provided separately

:o But this something that can be screwed off the unit, surely people will lose it, it must be a spare part

>Please hold……

>I have one lying around, can you come and collect

B) How much?

>I’ll give it to you for free

Similar result I guess. Was “pleasantly” surprised as the pessimist in me was fully expecting a charge. :laughing:

Well thats something to see foward too. We will end up paying tax on not paying tax and still pay feul tax in order to run the diesel generators needed to charge the hybrids. Imagine hybrid cars in SA - while watching your favourite soapy on tv .... energy alert ..... please unplug your hybrid car and all geysers stoves and anything else that makes your existance bearable..... thank you.

QUOTE(Trackinfind @ Jun 6 2006, 01:30 AM)

We have purchased Garmin 76CS Jan 06 and have been using for geocaching. It is really FAB!! Got an email from the yesterday saying South African Streetmaps Version 4 Release Coming Soon! Please consider before purchasing Version3.

Perhaps we should open a separate thread for this as I've certainly not had the happiest experience with Garmap and know of numerous others that have had the same.

Yes, please - I also have some pent-up frustrations to be aired! :laughing: ....and some good :laughing:

Regards

Terence

The version 4 will be available in +-3 weeks. I sold 3 units in May that Avnic will send me an upgrade for.

Just ordered my free upgrade. This can only be done via their site and you need to validate your existing version. This generates an unlock code based on your previously registered GPSr, so if anyone thought you could switch to a new unit and bypass the licensing problem through the upgrade… eikona…you’re locked in for life!

I'm still curious whether they will honour the software resupply if your unit is replaced... have received no answer from them in this regard.

So what was the outcome ? Did you get him something nice ? I know this is waaay past father's day, but would like to know what you got him in the end....

hey Brick,

yeah, we got him the 60CSX... though he hasn't seen it yet, because he has been in Durban for the past 3 weeks for work :ph34r: though we're sure he's gonna like it.

thanks for asking :ph34r: hope all the other dads had a great day!

So what was the outcome ? Did you get him something nice ? I know this is waaay past father's day, but would like to know what you got him in the end....

hey Brick,

yeah, we got him the 60CSX... though he hasn't seen it yet, because he has been in Durban for the past 3 weeks for work :ph34r: though we're sure he's gonna like it.

thanks for asking :ph34r: hope all the other dads had a great day!

I was caching on father's day with my boys, what more can I ask for ?

Hey Larks,

We decided to purchase the unit locally, as we had limited time (the international unit was going to take a couple of weeks, unless you spent more money on the postage (and insurance) to get it here - which would've cost around the same price) - and we also thought about the "warranty process" for our dad - just in case :wub:

So if time is on your side, then ordering it straight from the U.S. might be a viable option - though watch out for that crappy exchange rate we are experiencing at the moment :unsure: