Garmin Legend Cx + Mac Os X = Bad Choice?

I think I made a mistake buying my first GPS unit. I opted for the Garmin Legend Cx. The problem is that I'm a Mac user and now I can't figure out a way to UPLOAD the geocaching.loc file to the GPS. The only software that I've tried that has been able to recognize my GPS via my MAC is the LoadMyTracks software. Unfortunately, it DOWNLOADS info from the GPS to the computer. I need to go the other way around. Can anyone help me? I thought MacGPSBabel would work, but it doesn't seem to see the GPS when it's connected to my iMac.

Help...

Julie

http://www.the-gadgeteer.com

What kind of iMac do you have (G5? Intel? Other?)? I've found that MacGPSBabel works well for converting files and communicated with my 60CSx over USB very well. MacGPS Pro communicates with it too, although it's a paid program.

I have a G5. MacGPSBabel doesn't work yet unfortunately...

Can't help you too much, but I am long time fan of your site..I often wondered why you ladies weren't into Geocaching :laughing:

From the little I know, the Legend Cx isn't mountable under OSX at all, but Garmin has promised support eventually for their Mapsource products ( http://www.garmin.com/pressroom/corporate/011006.html ). Some people report success with Virtual PC, but no idea if that's for the Cx specifically. Maybe someone with a Mac can chip in here.. I'm surprised you wouldnt be able to at least load up waypoints.

PS I looked at your cache log...20 feet is well within the margin of error of modern GPSrs...it's hard to get within 30feet of the cache accurately (plus the 30feet accuracy of the hider's GPSr). Once you get within 30-50feet, eyes/brain > GPSr <_<

What kind of iMac do you have (G5? Intel? Other?)? I've found that MacGPSBabel works well for converting files and communicated with my 60CSx over USB very well. MacGPS Pro communicates with it too, although it's a paid program.

I have a G5. MacGPSBabel doesn't work yet unfortunately...

I'm running it on my G5 desktop machine and it works OK connecting to my 60CSx using the USB cable. If you can spare the dough, I'd strongly recommend MacGPS Pro. It's not terribly expensive, and it works well with Garmin USB devices. He offers a money-back gauarntee if you don't like it.

I have a PowerBook G4 (PowerPC Processor) and downloaded Mac SimpleGPS.

It installed with no problem, but it was not finding my Garmin eTrex Legend connected to the usb port via a serial to usb adapter.

I did some searching and discovered that OS X needs to have a driver for the serial to usb adapter.

I installed the "PL2303 USB to Serial Driver for Mac OS X" found at this site: http://sourceforge.net/projects/osx-pl2303/ and then the Mac SimpleGPS software recognises the GPS unit and works properly.

I'm very happy because I don't have to use my partners windows laptop to add waypoints to the gps unit <_<

Yep, I don't think the new eTrex cx USB only models can use Simple GPS. I've tried it and every other shareware program out there to try and transfer from my iMac G5 to my Venture CX with no luck. I've heard MacGPS Pro does work, but I don't want to pay for something if Garmin is going to release Mac software "...by the end of the year." Plus they don't have a demo that I can test to be sure.

If anyone has found a way, please post!

GPS makers just don't like us Mac users yet!

Spring for MacGPS Pro software. I have a Vixta Cx and it works well with that. It uses a USB cable to hook to unit. You will have to get maps too. MacGPS pro has individual state maps on DVD for around $30, or you can buy a micro SD card with preloaded maps from Garmin. Pricey ($90) but you get multi-state coverage with plug and play ease. That is what I have done. Depends on your location which map you buy. I believe the Legend Cx is the same as a Vista Cx without the compass/altimeter.

I have had some crashing problems with MacGPS Pro, but it just quits and you have to restart the program. The Mac itself doesn't crash (isn't that why we laugh at PC users?) Minor inconvenience compared to hand-entering coords.

Just got a reply from Garmin tech support, just FYI:

Problem:

Will the new City Navigator V8 be Macintosh compatible? Do you have any

timetables on the release of other Mac compatible programs such as the POI

Loader and Firmware updates?

Reply:

To follow up with you're inquiry, as of right now we are not

supporting Mactintosch. In the fourth quarter of this year (9-30 through

the third Saturday of December ) we will be supporting Mac OS X. I believe

this will be a change to our USB drivers, I can not comment on what will be

done with the software. You will not be expected to pay for any accessories

you may need for this compatiablity.

The City Navigator initially will not be Mac compatibile, only until

they release what needs to be done to make it compatible with the Mac

platform.

Regards,

Justin

So there you go... I was really crossing my fingers that the delay in v8 release date was to add in Mac compatibility...

Edited by TheCheatOSX

I have had some crashing problems with MacGPS Pro, but it just quits and you have to restart the program. The Mac itself doesn't crash (isn't that why we laugh at PC users?) Minor inconvenience compared to hand-entering coords.

I've had similar problems with the program crashing...always while trying to transfer data one way or the other. My basic experience has been that the program will do one transfer just fine, whether it be routes, tracks, waypoints...then freeze or crash during the next.

The best way I've found to work around this is to have everything you need transferred saved first. Transfer one thing (this can be a file with multiple waypoints) then restart the program and power cycle the GPSr before doing another transfer. I know, you shouldn't have to do it, but it takes care of freezes. I don't know why the program does this. I keep hoping it will be addressed in an update, but so far not. Other than this annoyance, I think it's a great program.

Andy

Edited by andylphoto

GPS makers just don't like us Mac users yet!

As a Mac user, I have to acknowledge that I really can't blame them. Mac users make up less than 4% of the market. It's a lot of time and money to develop for such a small percentage, particularly now that Intel Mac users can boot into Windows.

Kudos to Garmin for making the jump, even if it isn't until the end of the year.

Garmin has just released v2.50 firmware for eTrex Cx models. It now allows desktop mounting of the microSD card on Finder desktop. It doesn't exactly help the OP, but it's another step closer to full Mac compatibility. I'd say hang in there and wait for full compatibility later in the year. I am sure 3rd party developers will also improve compatibility of their creations.

I recently got my MIB (black MacBook) and similar to jcc123, I am running Windows XP through Parallels Desktop RC2. Mapsource and Garmin's Webupdater connects and updates my Vista Cx and Nuvi 350 without any problem. Just a tad slow with USB 1.1 kind of speed.

I'm still having some trouble getting my IMac G4 (OSX 10.3.9) to see my Garmin ETrex Legend when I'm using GPSBabel or GPSConnect. Turns out, it's my USB/Serial adapter (Belkin pt#F5U409v1). Even with the included driver, Belkin doesn't support Mac OS later than version 9. Even if your Mac boots the program with Classic, it won't see it if you're using OSX (doesn't like the shell). Anyways, thought I'd share that so someone might learn from my frustration/mistake. Now I just need to look for an adapter with a driver that will run on OSX. Any suggestions?

... Now I just need to look for an adapter with a driver that will run on OSX. Any suggestions?

I'm using the Keyspan USA-19HS on my Mac. The only caveat is that you can't plug it in to a USB 2.0 hub. You'll need to either plug it directly in to the Mac (usb2.0 is fine) or plug in to a USB 1.1 hub. Other than that it has worked fine for me.

... Now I just need to look for an adapter with a driver that will run on OSX. Any suggestions?

I'm using the Keyspan USA-19HS on my Mac. The only caveat is that you can't plug it in to a USB 2.0 hub. You'll need to either plug it directly in to the Mac (usb2.0 is fine) or plug in to a USB 1.1 hub. Other than that it has worked fine for me.

So I am looking at the Garmin eTrex Legend Cx and wonder what the current state is with OSX. Can I connect it directly via the USB cable or would I need adapters and do any of the freeware options such as GPSBabel work with it? I would like to use it with Google Earth and really dig the features of the unit.

I am also wondering about how easy it is to upload files to the unit for my geocache hunts.

Edited by Cobber99

So I am looking at the Garmin eTrex Legend Cx and wonder what the current state is with OSX. Can I connect it directly via the USB cable or would I need adapters and do any of the freeware options such as GPSBabel work with it? I would like to use it with Google Earth and really dig the features of the unit.

I am also wondering about how easy it is to upload files to the unit for my geocache hunts.

GPSBabel supports Legend Cx (running recent-ish firmware) on OS/X. No adapters involved. Since GPSBabel is also the tool used for Google Earth's Plus and Pro editions, the same answer applies there.

GPSBabel supports Legend Cx (running recent-ish firmware) on OS/X. No adapters involved. Since GPSBabel is also the tool used for Google Earth's Plus and Pro editions, the same answer applies there.

Thanks again Robert! I ended up going with the eTrex Vista Cx as I wanted the altitude to be sure! I found an amazing deal for $232 (wow) and I am really excited to get this thing talking to my Mac like a champ. First stop will be to bring it to work and run the update stuff off the Garmin website on my PC. Yay! My first GPS!

Here is where I found the deal, FYI:

http://www.tecoutlet.com/osc/product_info....products_id=336

Well, I was able to do everything using Parallels except for the Webupdater as it fails on verification. I will just have to wait for the Mac version (fingers crossed).

But WOW - using GPSBabel and Google Earth this is a ton of fun! Only issue left for me is that the unit is sorely lacking in terrain map data so now I have to spend 100 bucks for the US Topo pack and then maybe also the City map (so $300). That's lame.