Opinions On Garmin Dash Mounts

I want to switch from my RAM mount (which is extrememly hard on the outer rubber of my unit) to a Garmin mount but it seems that Garmin doesn't offer a windshield suction cup mount. Bah.

I'm worried about attaching a mount to my dashboard via the sticky mounting pads Garmin uses. They offer temporary mounting pads and a permanant mounting pad. I'm not going to keep my truck forever and I'm worried that using this type of mount attachment will destroy the dash on my truck.

I'm looking for input from folks who use the Garmin mount.

Do the temporary mounting disks hold well? It gets up to 110 degrees here in the summer - and the temperature in a locked vehicle gets considerably higher. Will the disk hold under those conditions? Do the disks mar the dash?

How permanant is the permanant mounting disk? If I put this on will the thing actually be permanantly attached and destroy the dash if I ever try to remove it?

I really don't want to trash my dash since it would negatively affect any future sales value when I get a new vehicle.

Any help or input from those who know will be greatly appreciated.

I had similar concerns about the Garmin Mounts. First tried the bean bag but it flew off the dash at least 1-2 times each trip (I know - it's the way I drive)....

I then used the temporary mounting disk - but it doesn't stand up well in heat... The good thing is that there is absolutely no sign that they where ever on the dash...

I found http://www.proclipusa.com and now have one of these in each of my cars, attached to it is the Germain mount with the permanent disk. Works like a charm - doesn't require drilling.... Two friends bought them too (making four different brand vehicle I know of) and they all fit well and tight...

Living in Tucson we have major heat. :-) I also do a lot of off road four wheeling so the mount has to be very solid. I tried the Garmin temp sticky mounts and even when the dash was cleaned first with alcohol, I couldn't get them to stick very well. I mounted my MAP76CSX Garmin mount directly to the dash with their permenant sticky pad. Works great but I really don't know how well it will come off. The pad has remained soft so I expect I can take it off and clean the dash with a solvent to remove the residue if needed.

I had similar concerns about the Garmin Mounts. First tried the bean bag but it flew off the dash at least 1-2 times each trip (I know - it's the way I drive)....

I then used the temporary mounting disk - but it doesn't stand up well in heat... The good thing is that there is absolutely no sign that they where ever on the dash...

I found http://www.proclipusa.com and now have one of these in each of my cars, attached to it is the Germain mount with the permanent disk. Works like a charm - doesn't require drilling.... Two friends bought them too (making four different brand vehicle I know of) and they all fit well and tight...

Wow. So did you buy the whole thing or just the dash grip piece?

[Edit]

Oh, never mind. I see that they don't make a device holder for my model so I'd be using the Garmin mount (probably best anyway) and just the dash clip. This looks like a pretty good unit. I'd just have to get used to having the gps in a different location.

I've sent them email asking about removal of the mount. Since this is my main concern with the Garmin permanant adhesive disk I need to find out if this system can be removed from my vehicle without damage.

Edited by Thrak

I want to switch from my RAM mount (which is extrememly hard on the outer rubber of my unit) to a Garmin mount but it seems that Garmin doesn't offer a windshield suction cup mount. Bah.

I'm worried about attaching a mount to my dashboard via the sticky mounting pads Garmin uses. They offer temporary mounting pads and a permanant mounting pad. I'm not going to keep my truck forever and I'm worried that using this type of mount attachment will destroy the dash on my truck.

I'm looking for input from folks who use the Garmin mount.

Do the temporary mounting disks hold well? It gets up to 110 degrees here in the summer - and the temperature in a locked vehicle gets considerably higher. Will the disk hold under those conditions? Do the disks mar the dash?

How permanant is the permanant mounting disk? If I put this on will the thing actually be permanantly attached and destroy the dash if I ever try to remove it?

I really don't want to trash my dash since it would negatively affect any future sales value when I get a new vehicle.

Any help or input from those who know will be greatly appreciated.

I'm probably not the best to answer this because I'm using a marine mount screwed to the dash of my truck. I did have one of the adhesive mounts, but between the curvature of my dash, being in a black truck in the sun and the weight of the 76, it didn't last long.

How handy are you with sheetmetal? It wouldn't take much effort to make a bracket that allows you to mount a marine base to the dash through the trim screws. In that case, you get excellent stability and its easily removable when you sell the vehicle.

How handy are you with sheetmetal? It wouldn't take much effort to make a bracket that allows you to mount a marine base to the dash through the trim screws. In that case, you get excellent stability and its easily removable when you sell the vehicle.

Pro-Fit makes some already that fits lots of different vehicles. I've had one for a few years now for my XM radio and love the mount.

I've also been trying to figure out how to securely mount my 60CSx in my van for a month or so. I ruled out adhesive mounts due problems mentioned earlier in this thread. I ruled out a suction mount because I would need 8" or so of extension to get the GPSr in the right position and I worry about vibration making it hard to read/operate. I can't fit it on my existing Pro-Fit mount because of space limitations in my van. (Pro-Fit does make an extension plate to fit two devices on the same mount, but it doesn't work in my situation.) And, friction mounts don't appeal to me.

So what's my potential solution? A ProClip mount on the dash, a Pro-Fit swivel, and a RAM GPSr mount. What a pain!

010-10457-00---Automotive windshield mounting bracket with suction cup mount

I too have this one for my 60CSx, and it holds quite well, except in some circumstances. It never really failed while I was driving, but I often see the support at the bottom of the car when I leave the car in direct sunlight. So maybe the heat can make it fall...

010-10457-00---Automotive windshield mounting bracket with suction cup mount

I too have this one for my 60CSx, and it holds quite well, except in some circumstances. It never really failed while I was driving, but I often see the support at the bottom of the car when I leave the car in direct sunlight. So maybe the heat can make it fall...

Mine is a 76CS and they don't offer one for that unit.

You can use the Garmin cradle with your existing RAM mount with an adapter:

http://www.gpscity.com/item-ram-mount-garm.../ramholga11.htm

It allows you to attach a RAM ball diamond plate to the cradle part of the Garmin mount. Then you can use the RAM arm and suction cup you already have.

Now THAT is cool! I have a mix of Garmin/RAM mounts on my various vehicles, and I really do like the Garmin cradle over RAM's. I'm gonna have to get me that!

Maybe I've just been lucky. I've used the temporary adhesive disk with the Garmin dash mount on the relatively flat surface of my truck dashboard for over a year now with no problems. The truck sits out all the time - a fair amount of 4x4 travel searching for caches, 100+ degrees in the summer, a 1/4-mile dirt washboard driveway and a somewhat heavy GPSMAP 276C.

I keep waiting for it to come loose, and even bought some extra adhesive disks just in case.

Just wondering if I used the permanent one by mistake. <_<

If you ever need to remove a mount that is attached to the dash with the double sticky thing use some dental floss or dental tape to "hack saw" through it. I use the dental floss technique to remove those obnoxious car company medalions on the rear of the car also. Wear some leather gloves for protection and be patient. The floss will break quite a few times.

I used the Garmin mount that has the foam sticker to attach the GPS mount to your dash. (After reading the above posts this is probably the permanent sticky pad that I used).

After 4 years I put my Bronco up for sale and tried to pry the mount up. It proved to be tough and I didn't want to tear up the dash. Later I thought I'd try twisting it. That was the ticket. I got it off and I was impressed. I expected to see a large spot where the sticky part was. There was nothing. No marks, nothing.

I won't hesitate to use this same mount in my next rig. Your milage may vary but heck that's life.

Edited by Renegade Knight

It allows you to attach a RAM ball diamond plate to the cradle part of the Garmin mount. Then you can use the RAM arm and suction cup you already have.

That may just be the ticket for me. I'd still replace my RAM suction unit though because I have the "bendable" one and it just isn't all that strong. I've seen pictures of RAM suction units that are solid with movable joints that can tighten in place. I just wish I could see a BIGGER picture of these things or, better yet, be able to actually look at one and see how big it actually is. There is a short one and a long one and I can't tell which one I'd actually need from the dinky little pictures online. I surely do wish there was a dealer where I could go in and examine the things.

It seems that a combination of the sturdier RAM suction mount with the adapter to fit the Garmin cradle would be ideal. I like the suction mount especially because I can take it off and use it in my wife's car when we take trips in that vehicle. Alternately, I could get the bean bag and just transfer the thing from my truck mount to the bean bag for use in her car.

That may just be the ticket for me. I'd still replace my RAM suction unit though because I have the "bendable" one and it just isn't all that strong. I've seen pictures of RAM suction units that are solid with movable joints that can tighten in place. I just wish I could see a BIGGER picture of these things or, better yet, be able to actually look at one and see how big it actually is. There is a short one and a long one and I can't tell which one I'd actually need from the dinky little pictures online. I surely do wish there was a dealer where I could go in and examine the things.

It seems that a combination of the sturdier RAM suction mount with the adapter to fit the Garmin cradle would be ideal. I like the suction mount especially because I can take it off and use it in my wife's car when we take trips in that vehicle. Alternately, I could get the bean bag and just transfer the thing from my truck mount to the bean bag for use in her car.

Ok, I've looked and looked. Is there somewhere to buy ONLY the Garmin cradle and not the entire darn mount? I think I've decided on the RAM suction mount I want and I can get the cradle adapter but I can't seem to find ONLY the cradle to buy. I don't really want to buy the entire Garmin dash mount system just so I can take the cradle off of it to use. I've sent email to Garmin asking about buying just the cradle but haven't received an answer back yet.

I'm hoping that this RAM Mount (View One) (View Two) will work for me. It's pretty frustrating not knowing which mount will actually work satisfactorily in my truck. How in heck does one decide what will work out properly with the windshield angle and dash configuration combination? I have a 1999 Ford F150.

Edited by Thrak