Magellan Explorist 210

Hello,

I'm using a Magellan Explorist 210.

I'm having a problem when I'm searching for a cache using the GOTO function and the navigation screen which points out the direction and distance. For example, the unit will display 150 feet pointing WEST. I'll turn off the unit and restart. Then GOTO the same POI and now it's displaying .25 miles SOUTH! I can turn it off again and I'll get a totally different reading again.

DATUM is set to WGS84

I used an Explorist 200 since August and "upgraded' to the 210 in April for the ability to connect to the computer. It worked fine for a while and has just started giving me this problem.

The weather was beautiful: 80 F Clear blue sky w/no clouds.

Am I missing any settings? or am I primed to starte the dreaded contacts with Magellan' customer support?

Any help and or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I considered that possibility. The problem that I keep coming back to is that even if the data does have to be reaquired, the coords haven't changed nor did my position. I should still be the same relative distance and direction from the spot that I'm looking for. At one stop, my GPS would have taken me across the highway about 300 feet when I knew by the hint that I was standing near the cache. Standing still, I turned off the GPS and then back on. After that the GPS wanted to send me about o.2 of a mile up into the woods ... a completely opposite direction.

I'm thinking it's time to contact "customer service." :rolleyes:

I purchased a new Explorist 200 from Walmart the other day. Brought it home and started to play with it. I had the exact same problem as you stated with your 210. It was jumping all over the place. I took it back to Walmart for a full refund. I have a Magellan Merigold that functions flawlessly and has for the last 2 years.

Edited by Pinon

I'm having a problem when I'm searching for a cache using the GOTO function and the navigation screen which points out the direction and distance. For example, the unit will display 150 feet pointing WEST. I'll turn off the unit and restart. Then GOTO the same POI and now it's displaying .25 miles SOUTH! I can turn it off again and I'll get a totally different reading again.

I have the same problem with my 210. It will send me to a point where a cache is supposed to be and I'll look around for 15 minutes and find nothing. So I'll turn the unit off and on, re-enter the GOTO point and it will send me 30 meters further down the trail. Sometimes I don't even have to turn the unit off -- just re-entering the GOTO point is enough.

Now that I know to expect this behaviour, I can work with it. But what a pain the first few times it happened.

dave