Unusual Geocoins, A Dilemma?

I recently had the good fortune to pick up a volunteer geocoin. After logging it for the icon I emailed the owner the same day explaining I was going on holiday to scotland in the first week of july and would like to take the coin up there so the scottish cachers can have a hunt for it and it gets some mileage, I also explained that if this is a problem I would find a local cache and get it replaced much sooner. The owner mailed me back stating he would like it to go to scotland so I posted a note explaining that the reason for its inactivity for anyone who had it on the watchlist was as above.

I looked at the bug page today to find someone has posted a note complaining I am 'hanging onto it, that this is 'mean' and I should give others a chance at it'. :) So where do i stand, I mean I have the owners permission to hold it for longer than usual in order to do something special with it and I am being left notes on the bug page.

I have left a note on the bug page stating I am holding it with the owners permission and that if anyone has a problem with that they can email the owner and if he wants it moved sooner he can let me know and I will gladly do so.

However, Im a little p*ssed that rather than email me privately with any issues this cacher decided to make an argument public by posting on the bug sheet so whereas Id usually refrain from any arguments, to h*ll with it :) I am gonna do the same and request opinions here on a postcard please.

What are other people's thoughts on the matter? Am I wrong in holding on to it for a while, even though the owner says I can or should I continue with my plan which actually involved finding a nice cache near a loch and uploading some photos before placing it for some of our north of the border friends to find?

Edited to add : Im not taking it to an event cache either BTW, and I have put about 12 coins of my own out in the wild in the last few months and my partner has also released coins so Im not the kind of person who wants to go for the icons but isnt willing to put something back into the game either :(

Edited by freespirit1402

Just a brief break in my hols to make my intentions regarding this coin clear.

I am delighted that Free is taking it North of the border to visit long time e-mail freinds up there.

I am not worried if it takes a week or two to get there, but I want The Haggis Hunter, devious Snaik, Perth Pathfinders, FoF et al to have a chance of seeing it!

See you again later,

Eckington

Edited by Eckington

ive had emails from people who picked up coins of mine asking if they can hang on to it as there taking it on a trip i never see this as a problem............ like wise i wouldnt hold onto anything without owners consent either.

you have the owners blessing so just do as you intended :)

i to have had emails asking if cachers could hold onto my coins thus to gain mileage via a holiday, which i dont have a problem with. Sometimes i even contact members (if they are in the army or the RAF - and it states this on their profile, to see if they are off anywhere soon). I have not had members posting notes on coin sites (and if i did i might actually delete them)

I looked at the bug page today to find someone has posted a note complaining I am 'hanging onto it, that this is 'mean' and I should give others a chance at it'.

Just make sure you drop it off in a cache that is hundreds of miles away from the cacher that complained :)

I can see a cacher who wanted to get the icon would be narked if someone was going to hold on the the coin for ages and then take it over 300 miles away. It is Eckington's coin and hence his decision IMHO but lets not have a go at a cacher posting the note. Although I hate people using logs as a discussion board and believe they should have conducted any such communication privately, they were polite enough and everyone is entitled to an opinion.

The owner has given his permission for you to hold it, so you are in the right.

I'm one of those people that will only log a coin/jeep if I actually find it in a cache, so I understand how fustrating it is to see these held, or put into event caches. With that said, I would never complain on the bug sheet about it - in my opinion that is bad form.

Now, the big question is how can I get to Scotland to retrieve this coin! :laughing:

The owner has given his permission for you to hold it, so you are in the right.

I'm one of those people that will only log a coin/jeep if I actually find it in a cache, so I understand how fustrating it is to see these held, or put into event caches. With that said, I would never complain on the bug sheet about it - in my opinion that is bad form.

Now, the big question is how can I get to Scotland to retrieve this coin! :laughing:

You have no need to go to Scotland, you are coming to Llangollen, and we will make sure that there is one of these there for you to log, it only travels with us though, we don't let it out on its own it is too precious <_<

Eeyore

Edited by Cave Troll and Eeyore

Just a brief break in my hols to make my intentions regarding this coin clear.

I am delighted that Free is taking it North of the border to visit long time e-mail freinds up there.

I am not worried if it takes a week or two to get there, but I want The Haggis Hunter, devious Snaik, Perth Pathfinders, FoF et al to have a chance of seeing it!

See you again later,

Eckington

Awww Shucks, Ta chuck!! :laughing:

Let's name names. It was me wot wrote that note.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.as...98-4b8c6929c698

My apologies for posting a note on the coin page in response to Free's. I didn't realise it was bad form and I won't do it again.

I absolutely agree if the owner of any coin or TB is OK with somebody hanging on to it, then that's the end of the matter.

But can I say something without setting off the 'lynch-mob' mentality that seems to pop up so often on these forums?

When I read (or mis-read) Freespirit1402's note, it wasn't clear to me that he'd emailed the owner to discuss it - the way I read it was "If it's alright with Eckington, I'll be holding on to this...."

It wasn't clear that the owner wanted it to go to Scotland. It looked like another of those self-centered logs where someone says, "I'm going on an expedition to the Antarctic in 2011, so I'm going to hang on to this rare coin until then cos I know just the place to to put it".

I think if an owner of a coin or TB wants it to go somewhere specific, them the most equitable way of getting that result is making it the "Current Goal". That way everyone gets a chance to help it on its way and log it.

So sorry if I 'p*ssed' you off Freespirit1402. Try to get over it! B)

But can I say something without setting off the 'lynch-mob' mentality that seems to pop up so often on these forums?

Theoretically yes, but it has not been achieved to date. B)

For what it is worth thanks for clarifying that. Hopefully now everyone can relax and be happy knowing that we are all playing the game together and the whole thing was another communication breakdown.

hi quichina

apology accepted and my own apology to you if i was rude or made you feel there was a lynch mob mentality, i didnt mean to - which is why i never named you or ecky specifically, i just wanted to gauge opinion on the matter.

my exact wording in the original post was : With Eckington's permission I am going to be holding onto this coin for a little while until my holiday to scotland in the first week of july where I will find a nice highland cache for it to rest in - so keep an eye out all you gaelic cachers!!!.

I meant I had already asked for and received permission, I thought I had been clear I was doing so with eckys permission but maybe i wasnt so maybe neither of us made ourselves clear. For what its worth I totally agree with you about event caches - next time neither of us log coins at one lets have a drink eh.

BTW Im a she B)