Cache Tubs

I was passing one of those old fashioned sweet shops recently and they were selling off the old

sweety jars. You know the large ones they have lined up on the shelves. Except these days they're

plastic. So I bought a couple to use as large cache containers.

I just need to see how watertight they are......

Although I have only placed a few caches I have avoided the "tupperware" options. So far I have used:

Nestle Time Capsule - shaped like a shell (military rather than sea). One got muggled but the other is out there in an appropriate cache. They have a screw top which appears to keep the rain out.

Plastic ingrediants jar - again with a screw lid.

Plastic "Pringles" type tube - not sure which brand these came from. I put "draught excluder" round the lid which appears to make them watertight.

A three gallon barrel; again used for ingrediants - the advantages of working in the food industry. These also ahve a screw lid. It is I think the biggest cache in Wiltshire. Only two problems: painting it so it was camouflaged; and finding enough things to fill it. I have two more of these waiting but finding a site is difficult.

One of my micros was recently muggled (again) so a quick rummage in the junk drawer in the kitchen revealed a plastic specimen tube for urine samples! :(

Don't worry - it was unused and once I'd soaked the label off and sprayed it black no-one would ever know...(until now! :) )

One of my micros was recently muggled (again) so a quick rummage in the junk drawer in the kitchen revealed a plastic specimen tube for urine samples! :(

Don't worry - it was unused and once I'd soaked the label off and sprayed it black no-one would ever know...(until now! :) )

thats it Golem i'm doing no more of your caches!!!!!

..... what is the strangest thing you have used for a cache... we are looking for something differnt for our next one! Custard -xx-

I can think of several but more often than not the whole point is the surprise that you get when you do eventually reach your goal. Can suggest some places to look but my lips are sealed until you do get there. :rolleyes:

B):rolleyes:B):)B)

2 x lok n lok boxes, 1 x magnetic keysafe, 1 x screw top jar (not sure what this would have been used for originally, think it maybe had something to do with mixing photo chemicals but bought brand new from a charity shop though) and soon to be placed a 16 inch long by 5 n half inch across ex-military tank round case :lol:.

One that gave me a shock was Digging Up The Past (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=26cfa996-8c8f-4b58-86d4-faea3a20154d).

The location was easy enough to spot but the actual container is the surprise.

I managed to get an ammo box from my local dump recently, I saw it on the side as I was dropping off some rubbish and the nice man let me have it for nothing, even said he'll keep any more to one side for me.

I'm working on a cache at the moment but can't say what the container will be as it will give the game away, but it will be interesting to read peoples comments when it's up and running. Talking to one of our reviewers he suggested a small change to the format and added the description of 'evil' to the plan.

BareClawz

I've used a number of "different" type containers which are themed to the cache, and also various camo techniques. I shan't give away what they are here, but the main problem with unorthodox containers is definitely making them watertight. The last one of mine I spent a week or so doing accelerated weathering tests in an oven and freezer and outdoors with lots of spraying with water in between to ensure it stood up to our lovely weather. It seems to be holding up ok so far.....