Spelin And Grammer

If one is trying to spell at the best of their abilities, I usually ignore it....

If done on purpose I usually ignore it...

If its a typo(s) because one does not proof read their work, it's irritating. And I usually am the one who is irritated because I sometimes do not proof read very well or if I am in hurry and fail to proof read completely....

Here is a little tool that has helps me a lot...

http://www.microspell.com/

Dale

Edited by Dale_Lynn

You all need to meet Smoo.

William James believed that if the meaning was carried across it shouldn't matter if the grammer is correct.

:unsure:

Oh, now grammer is different than spelling. I would disagree with Mr James in as much as you want the correct meaning to be carried across and not some arbitrary meaning. If you leave out punctuation, people can group words together in whatever way they wish and get quite different meanings out of the words presented as a sentence.

I agree with most, that for English speakers, misspellings aren't that big of a deal. However, I can imagine much more difficulty for those who aren't native speakers (this is the www after all). Therefore, I think that if you can, you should spell correctly just to avoid confusion. I am not near perfect enough to be calling people on the carpet for spelling though. :rolleyes:

Grammar is a fairly simple set of rules. Anyone without a learning disability should be able to learn them. A person who does not do so generally indicates one of two things to me:

1) They are incapable of learning them, which is an indicator of intelligence.

2) They don't give a dadgum, which is an indicator of attitude.

Between the two, I am able to judge whether I care about what the person has to say and whether their comments are likely to have any importance. But then again, I'm arrogant and pretentious. :rolleyes:

If its a typo(s) because one does not proof read their work, it's irritating.

Dale

In the printing industry, one never proof-reads his own work. It usually takes another's eye to catch a mistake.

What the op must realize is that this forum is made up of both young and old, english-speaking and not, educated and not so educated. But, we all have one thing in common - geocaching. Try to be a little more tolerant.

:rolleyes:

Ok, maybe I'm callous...

I really find it funny when I get to the bottom of a post with numerous spelling errors, and then I see this note at the bottom:

"Edited for spelling errors" ;)

What did it look like before? :rolleyes:

(Maybe the reason I find it funny is the fact that so many of my posts have the same note at the bottom.)

Edited just to put this note here. :unsure:

Edited by Cornerstone4

You all need to meet Smoo.

William James believed that if the meaning was carried across it shouldn't matter if the grammer is correct.

:rolleyes:

Oh, now grammer is different than spelling. I would disagree with Mr James in as much as you want the correct meaning to be carried across and not some arbitrary meaning. If you leave out punctuation, people can group words together in whatever way they wish and get quite different meanings out of the words presented as a sentence.

James thought people were intuitively smarter than you seem to think they are.

Not sure who I agree with, more than likely, neither.

There are only two circumstances when I will call out spelling or grammar mistakes in the forums:

1. If it's a friend of mine who is usually very good with spelling and grammar, but slips up and makes a stupid or humorous mistake.

2. If someone is ranting in a forum post about an issue relating to technical details, rules compliance, someone else's mistake, etc., but their own post is filled with spelling and grammar mistakes, I will note the irony.

If there are other examples not covered under one of these two rules, I was probably just being a jerk.

Grammar is a fairly simple set of rules. Anyone without a learning disability should be able to learn them. A person who does not do so generally indicates one of two things to me:

1) They are incapable of learning them, which is an indicator of intelligence.

2) They don't give a dadgum, which is an indicator of attitude.

Between the two, I am able to judge whether I care about what the person has to say and whether their comments are likely to have any importance. But then again, I'm arrogant and pretentious. :rolleyes:

I guess I'm not intelligent because all throughout school I never did understand all those rules. Try as I might I couldn't remember the parts of a sentence or the way it should be structured etc.. I think I do well enough to get the point across though. 6 years after high school and it still doesn't click. Look what I found doing a google search....grammar book

Edited by wreckelite

There are only two circumstances when I will call out spelling or grammar mistakes in the forums:

1. If it's a friend of mine who is usually very good with spelling and grammar, but slips up and makes a stupid or humorous mistake.

2. If someone is ranting in a forum post about an issue relating to technical details, rules compliance, someone else's mistake, etc., but their own post is filled with spelling and grammar mistakes, I will note the irony.

If there are other examples not covered under one of these two rules, I was probably just being a jerk.

remember the classic mistake by 'bugs & snake"?

immortalized in their forum title. "cOunt me out!"

remember the classic mistake by 'bugs & snake"?

immortalized in their forum title. "cOunt me out!"

Ahhhh, yes. That was truly the Ringbone of typos.

I don't need perfection, but it would be nice to be able to understand the message. Writing does have to get the message across coherently. I cringe when I see posts that are full of obvious mistakes because I know when we see a garbled and chaotic message we tend to discount the idea inside the message.

I don't care about HOW they have typed in a forum message, so long as I understand it. I make misteaks all teh time. No worries. I'd rather judge the pst based on the idea they are trying to get across, rather than their ability to proofread like they were being watched by a newspaper editor.

It's a forum, for crying out loud, not a spelling bee or grammer festival. If it relly bothers you that much, well...

*edit - fixed

Edited by New England n00b

I was reading the forums one night and someone asked about good SWAG for a FTF prize or something similar. The whole post was full of spelling errors and the first poster simply typed "a dictionary". Pretty cruel hearted but it made me laugh.

What I can not stand is when I go to a website for a business and find spelling mistakes, using the incorrect word (there versus their for instance), or improper grammar. Why would I buy something from a company that would allow that to happen. I think the website should be reflective of your business.

In regards to forums and cache logs online I have spelling and grammar problems all the time.

wen i see a thred whats not got good grammer an spellin, i no the riter is unejukate so i doant take no notis of wat he sez.

how aboutt youse. ?

edditid for spell mistakens

I'm a bit troubled by lousy grammar. I know and work with too many foreigners who speak/write English as a second language better than someone who's born and raised here.

Naturally it's different in forums and such. I guarantee, my 8th grade English teacher would shudder if she saw many of my posts, (this one right here for example) but writing in a shorthanded, off-the-cuff manner helps convey the sense of what you are saying better than a 100% proper sentence and paragraph structure.

Typos are another thing altogether. My brain always goes faster than my fingers and I do my darndest to go back and correct all the little mis-strokes, but I almost always miss at least one.

The written word does, of course, require better spelling and grammar than the spoken word. Internet fora (or forums for those who don't appreciate irregular plurals), are more considered spoken than written word.

I find that, as I grow older, my left hand types faster than my right. Oh, well.

It is unfortunate that geocaching.com does not have Spell Check. (Though many words used here would fail.) I am, however, getting a bit tired of reading about 'cemetary' caches. I have a dictionary, and I'm not afraid to use it! 'Cemetery'!

I discovered a while back that my local newspaper (The Star-Ledger of Newark) no longer employs proof readers. I've had more than a few laughs at their expense. One of the best was: "The College of New Jersey is proud of its cirrocumulous." It would appear that the reporter typed in 'cirriculum' (instead of curriculum). Spell Check asked "Do you mean cirrocumulous?" The reporter hit the "Y" button. Now, the College of New Jersey is known for being proud of its clouds. The Star-Ledger refused to print a correction! Oh, well.

I tire of an interesting language, such as English, being reduced to the least common denominator. A Member of Conress was chastised by his black colleagues for using the word 'niggardly'. They thought that he was using the 'N' word. Those are two entirely different words, with different derivations.

A post, such as that written by OP, would have very little interest for me. I would seldom read such.

I'm one that has specific grammar pet peeves in speech. Good instead of well drives me insane. I'm also a big fan of the adverb...just say badly instead of bad...PLEASE!!!

In typing, it doesn't bother me.

BUTT...

I've noticed that there are some people that are noticeably (noticably?...I'm self-conscious in this thread) functionaly illiterate as well as cachers. It's neat to see that their drive to cache and log caches has also improved their ability to read/write over the course of the months.

We always think of encouraging the outdoor element, but forget about the other things that geocaching encourages like finally motivating someone to learn to read/write good (just kidding...well).

On another similar note, I was anti-computer (couldn't turn one on for the life of me) until I found the motivation to look up and log a cache. Now, I've moved all of my communication to the internet. Even my Brownie troop runs paperless now because of geocaching.

I guess what I'm saying is that, while I notice grammar and spelling issues (and other people notice mine), lighten up on those and look at what we're motivating here.

When I first saw this thread I immediately thought of the "Master of Teh" aka "New England nOOb".

I would like to point out that you managed to correctly spell "the" once in your reply. <_<

I don't care about HOW they have typed in a forum message, so long as I understand it. I make misteaks all teh time. No worries. I'd rather judge the pst based on the idea they are trying to get across, rather than their ability to proofread like they were being watched by a newspaper editor.