Should I Or Shouldn't I

ElementalJay

I need some advice from people who have made large numbers of coins and sold them. This will be my personal geocoin once it gets minted. My initial plan was to just get 100 made, sell a few, trade a few, set a few loose. The usual. The coinsandpins guy has a really good deal if I buy 500 - enough to get an icon as well. I would need to sell a BUNCH of these to make it worth that kind of investment.

My questions - how many of you have wound up 'eating' a bunch of your coins because you bought enough to get the icon and then never sold all the ones you wanted to? How many of you sold all your coins right away? In short, how likely am I to wind up sleeping on the couch for an indetermined amount of time when I buy FIVE TIMES the number of coins I was going to just for a price break and an icon, then fail to sell the excess coins?

Help. Please.

Elemental-Jay-GeoCo-art.jpg

Nice concept coin, but what element is that? :)

I sold 2/3 of mine, but halted the sale until I can make sure that people received their coins. I'm using some as trade material now, will release a few as travellers (maybe) then possibly sell some more....

I think I'd get one of yours as that's pretty cool.

:laughing:

Nice concept coin, but what element is that? :laughing:

I sold 2/3 of mine, but halted the sale until I can make sure that people received their coins. I'm using some as trade material now, will release a few as travellers (maybe) then possibly sell some more....

:huh:

:) Ummm... the coin is supposed to be Bessie - the dead cow head on the front of my Jeep (the tiny white blob in the middle of the avatar). The four squares on the back are my personal logo - stylized representations of air, earth, fire, and water.

Thanks for the info on your coin, too.

I'll buy one or two.

I just did a coin, and sold enough to pay for the mint and trade the rest. I've gotten a lot of great coins in trade. To me it is a money saver to trade coins. I've traded my coin for several that were selling for $10 or $11. So basically, I get those coins for the cost of mine, which was significantly less.

I love the coin! Keep in mind also, especially if you collect coins, that the cost you pay for minting your own coin and trading for the ones you want is most likely way less than what you'd pay at the e place. That was the way I sold the idea to my husband. Another neat idea to do with excess is what the Sunshine Gang did. I don't know if they were excess but they sold quite a few for $4.99 with the stipulation that they had to be activated then would make their way to you via caches. I think thats a pretty neat idea. If we ever make any trackable ones I may just do that too!

I hope it works out for you!

If you do have those made....don't forget JayBee when you start thinking about trades.

I'm definitely going to get them made. I am just trying to get a feel for the current "market," if you will. If plenty of people have been able to sell enough to make a 500-coin pressing worth it, I will pursue that. If not, I will stick to my original plan of just getting 100 coins made.

And I won't forget JayBee. Looking forward to tomorrow's shipment. Thanks.

Since you are "NOT looking for requests yet...", I will NOT post a request for your coin yet! :laughing:

And I can't help you with your question about the minting and selling costs, as I don't have any experience minting my own coin... yet...

The only thing I can say is that your coin design is unique and I believe the finished product will be highly collectible, especially to someone who has been lucky enough to find one of your very cool "companion" signature items! Now THAT will be a very nice set! Good luck!

Notice, please, that I am not asking to be put on the delivery list!

From talking to others, I've gathered that coins which are sold for $10 tend to go into the hands of collectors to be used as "touch this and log it" items at coin events. They seldom circulate among the geocaching public, per se. You have to ask yourself: am I willing to lose money for the pleasure others will derive from being able to actually find these coins in caches? If you've answered "yes," I'd say order the whole 500 and sleep on the couch for a while.

That said, let me know if you ever do offer them up for sale.

Sleeping on the couch can be a good thing, too. I mean, you've got the TV right there, it's usually a shorter walk to the kitchen, and if it was chili night for dinner, you'll probably hear less complaining. Okay, sure there's a whole lot less of...well....that...when you're sleeping on the couch, but think of it sort of like camping. It's a little camping trip right there, with all the conveniences of home. :laughing:

The idea is beautiful.

:)

I'll for sure take two.

:laughing:

And I have been nipped by the coin craze...

But be thinking of a price they will sell at and then thinking of the rest as the stuff of trades. The event coins sold for $10; I'da rather sold them at price, which was closer to $8.50. The remainder of the sales money went to off set the cost of the event.

Edited by ATMouse

Nice concept coin, but what element is that? :laughing:

Death, the 5th Element.

Sleeping on the couch can be a good thing, too. I mean, you've got the TV right there, it's usually a shorter walk to the kitchen, and if it was chili night for dinner, you'll probably hear less complaining. Okay, sure there's a whole lot less of...well....that...when you're sleeping on the couch, but think of it sort of like camping. It's a little camping trip right there, with all the conveniences of home. :)

Whoa... I don't recall you being at EJ's last weekend. :)

How did you know what the layout of his house was? :)

:(

OT: I think you might be able to move enough of them to break even, personally. I like the Bessie design, and, of course, it matches my Bessie skull I received last weekend. Thanks again for everything, BTW!

I'm definitely going to get them made. I am just trying to get a feel for the current "market," if you will. If plenty of people have been able to sell enough to make a 500-coin pressing worth it, I will pursue that. If not, I will stick to my original plan of just getting 100 coins made.

And I won't forget JayBee. Looking forward to tomorrow's shipment. Thanks.

Make only 100 and don't sell them. It makes them more collectable.

We'd like to work out a trade if you don't sell yours.

If you make 500 of the same coin metal it's going to be hard to get the sales. If you make deferent types as LE or Only Traded or whatever, you will do better. Consider making 5 different metals and you chose how you want to trade them and the price. I just did two metals but if I would of known more I would of made one of everything and sent my goals from there. There are some who want everything and I'm not one of them but icons I do like and make the coin most wanted. Good luck with your coin...I like you're goal.

Nice concept coin, but what element is that? :(

Death, the 5th Element.

No death is the final victoty.

I like the concept.

I do not think you will be sorry for getting the icon.

Life is to short to worry about it.

I just got off the couch finally.

We have never sold coins but from what I have seen in my short time in the forums how you price your coin will make or brake your sales even more so with the large amount of commerial coins comming out, if you disign is unique and price is low they will sell if you coin is nothing special and your price is high grab a few pillows cause you'll be sleeping on the couch for a while.

I am not really into anything but round coins but I would buy for the right price (under $8)

Ditto.

There's nothing special about a coin that anybody can get/buy. Make them personal, and leave them in caches or do trades for them.

Ditto, ditto... :rolleyes:

Ditto.

There's nothing special about a coin that anybody can get/buy. Make them personal, and leave them in caches or do trades for them.

Along that track, then...

Is this different from having a limited or special edition, which I would keep for trading / releasing? Is it a standard practice to sell a bunch of "common" version coins, and keep / trade a different version of the same coin?

{Can you tell I am new to this?}

This is another example of marketing a coin that has not been made trackable yet. If and when you decide if your coin will be trackable you may post a thread. Until then you may not market it under the guise of "would you buy it if I made it?" I am closing this thread and when you make up your mind what you want to do we can reopen it then. Please read the guideline posted at the top of the geocoin forums regarding tracking and forum posting guidelines.

Due the hugeness of the image, I did not see the words "trackable" on the horns of the cowhead. I also did not see the word "trackable" in your text, only that you wanted enough to get an icon. It helps to mention this in posting. Reopening this thread.

Due the hugeness of the image, I did not see the words "trackable" on the horns of the cowhead. I also did not see the word "trackable" in your text, only that you wanted enough to get an icon. It helps to mention this in posting. Reopening this thread.

My apologies to everyone for not being clear. Please allow me to say again for the record...

I AM NOT LOOKING FOR ORDERS OR REQUESTS. IF I CHOOSE TO SELL (VERSUS TRADING ONLY), I WILL BEGIN A THREAD SPECIFICALLY FOR THAT PURPOSE.

My intent here is to clarify some questions that possibly other newbies have as well. Thanks to everyone for your patience with the new guy.

Due the hugeness of the image

I guess you didn't see the BIG picture! :rolleyes:

Just being silly, don't hurt me.

OT,

I vote buy 100 and trade.

Shy!! My kids are dying to meet you (or specifically, your dog). You hid the first cache we ever found as a family (The Four E's).

Back on topic - I ask again... is it common to keep a different style (different material) of the same coin as a trade / drop only coin, and sell a "common" version?

We made 500 coins. 400 of one metal to sell and 90 of a trade metal and then 10 others for other things.

Out of the 400 we sold about 200 right off the bat. Then orders slowly trickled in for about 100 more. We have released some and left some as FTF prizes or swag. Some we had to resend for ones lost in the mail. So we have 72 left, right now.

Out of the 90 traders we have about 50 left. This IMO was a good idea to do a different metal for trades. If you are a geocoin collector then you can trade for the new coins coming out and you end up saving a good bit of money.

Edited by ParentsofSAM

We made 500 coins. 400 of one metal to sell and 90 of a trade metal and then 10 others for other things.

Out of the 400 we sold about 200 right off the bat. Then orders slowly trickled in for about 100 more. We have released some and left some as FTF prizes or swag. Some we had to resend for ones lost in the mail. So we have 72 left, right now.

Out of the 90 traders we have about 50 left. This IMO was a good idea to do a different metal for trades. If you are a geocoin collector then you can trade for the new coins coming out and you end up saving a good bit of money.

Thanks very much. I believe that I will wind up adopting a similar plan. Most for sales / swag. A few for trading only / special swag. Unless I hear a convincing argument against it soon (I am paying the company this month), I will do something similar.

And thanks to everyone else for their opinions as well. All have been considered equally important.

I personally think this is a great design, some folks prefer round coins, I like the odd shapes as well, very unique, If you end up selling these I would place a order for a few, if you deside on a small batch for trading please keep me in mind, will be watching this thread. Glenn

There are some highly sought after coins that will only trade for coins that have never been sold, regardless of the 'different' metal concept. If the design is the same they won't trade.

I'll take one. And personally, I'll think those will easily sell.

A lot depends upon the factor that in science fiction is called "sensawondah". If the coin has that special something, and gives the viewer a "sense of wonder", a feeling that this is a special coin, then it is likely to sell well. That being said, one geocacher's meat, etc. etc. etc. I think that the Prague geocoins are stunningly beautiful, but they are still around for sale, for some reason. Not enough people who appreciate fine clocks, I guess. I think enough folks have posted that they like the idea that you can run with a full 500, and have a reasonable hope of selling out, or nearly so. Doing several different metals seems like a good idea, too. I'm not that much of a "completist", but if they coin looks good in different metals, I'm likely to give strong thought to making my "keeper" an LE.

As for Eartha temporarily closing this thread, I really do wish that the moderators would *read* an entire thread before jumping to conclusions. You were very clear about your intentions; it was *other* posters who made it look like you were offering something for sale. Moderators doing this is just as bad as a newbie cacher going to the "fake" coordinates of a puzzle cache and not finding it there. Duh!!

Whenever you finally get your plans figured out, I'll be interested.

We'd like to work out a trade if you don't sell yours.

If they're going to have an icon, that means they'll also be trackable. Don't worry yourself about how "collectible" they are.

They're travel bugs with your name on them. Going for specific "collectible" status only benefits people ebaying them later. Not that there's anything wrong with people ebaying them, but why give the secondary market so much help?

Price them under about $10 and you'll move 300 easy, and another hundred without much pain.