Reward Or Target List?

When we moved here I was shocked to see how unknown caching was. I'm doing my best to stir up interest in the sport up here. One thing I do is to post the name of the FTFr on the cache description of all my caches as a kind of reward for them. Having heard how some of the a..holes out there are acting about FTFs, I just thought I would ask, what do you guys think about the idea. Am I setting these cachers up as targets, or is it a good way to reward some of the local cachers?

If you did that here in Phoenix, it would be the same name, over and over and over.

Ruins it for everyone else, and it would encourage them to do it even more.

I say don't do it, if you have a FTF-obsessed cacher in your area. Don't give them the spotlight.

If you did that here in Phoenix, it would be the same name, over and over and over.

Ruins it for everyone else, and it would encourage them to do it even more.

I say don't do it, if you have a FTF-obsessed cacher in your area. Don't give them the spotlight.

The problem is just the reverse. I had a 1/1.5 cache set for over a day, on a weekend, before the FTF. I want people to get out and go for them. I also don't want any FTF-obsessed cachers. Just trying to stir up something in my area.

I don't see how advertising on a cache page gets noticed by non-cachers.

It's the crazed cachers I'm wondering about.

They get a rush from being ftf, no need to feed the habit. :laughing:

I'm not worry about your average cacher wanting to feed the habit. In fact that is kinda what I'm after. I love the rush of getting a FTF. I just want others around here to get that same desire. I'm just wondering if it's a good idea to publish the FTFers. Will that help me encourage healthy enthusiasim, or I'm am feeding the demons?

They get a rush from being ftf, no need to feed the habit. :laughing:

I'm not worry about your average cacher wanting to feed the habit. In fact that is kinda what I'm after. I love the rush of getting a FTF. I just want others around here to get that same desire. I'm just wondering if it's a good idea to publish the FTFers. Will that help me encourage healthy enthusiasim, or I'm am feeding the demons?

I mean their ego is big enough.

Check out GCTQPX. This Team has trophys on all of their cache pages and I think they are cute. Made it my goal to win all 3, just for fun. Although it can be hard to get a FTF around here, it can be done. (I was pretty excited to be first on this one, my first FTF) Guess we don't have anyone that's TOO crazed arouind here, but there are some people who are pretty good at being FTF.

Since the FTF log is readily accessible anyway, posting it in the description won't hurt, IMHO.

:laughing:

FTF is a tough thing.

If TEam360 was FTF on your cache you may not know it unless you read the cache log. The first to log online may not be teh first to find.

The best you could do is post FTF out of the log and hope that ghosts don't find your cache (don't log online or the cache either).

I think it would be kind of a reward if you posted FTFs for new cachers. Maybe less than 40 finds. This would reward the event of their first FTF and fuel the newbie's interest in cache. BTW, I'm a newbie and would get a kick out of it. However, if I had been caching for a while, I don't think I would really care. I have only found 44 caches and finding a FTF is no big deal to me.

I know, I know, FTF are hard to come by and it may take a large number of caches before you log your FTF. I only say this because you are caching in a cache light area. I live in a area where I have over 1000 cache within 20 miles on my home coordinates.

Kewl idea I have seen it before, its your listing do what you want (within the guidelines of course) to many people care so much about what other people think no matter what you do or say someone will disagree or dislike it, thats life......................

In this area it's pretty common for the FTF person to put in their log that they were FTF. The aren't always the first to log. There's nothing wrong with being a FTF lover! It's always a rush to see that empty log sheet.......

Sounds like most you agree with me on this, so I'll put it to you this way. If you got the FTF on one of my caches, would you like for me to post it on the cache page, so that when any reads it from then on, they will know that you were the FTFr?

:):(:mad::):)

I think it might be working. I just had a puzzle cache published today. The puzzle should take the average person 15 to 20 minutes to solve, and then they would need to drive about 20 miles to find the cache. A group of cachers have already claimed it. It normaly takes a day or two for someone to get a FTF around here. I think there might be a little light at the end of the tunnel. I hope it's not an oncoming train.

:):):sad::(

Around my area a lot of caches get found before they are published. I don't know what's up with that.

A day or two b4 ftf is not unusual and some in my area go for months... therefore it is ridiculous to say that the FTF game is not open to newbies. I think some FTF hounds even deliberately "take a day off" to give newbies a chance.

FTF is special, no matter what the detractors say. There is something about being the "first" at anything. Is it the be-all and end-all? NO. Is it a special thing? YES.

Personally, for the majority of "micro spews" as some have called it, the ONLY reason I hunt them is for FTF.

As far as needing attaboy on the cache page? Not necessary. My attaboy was seeing that blank log page as Thrak said.

To be correct in your "award" would require that you personally visit the cache and see who really did sign the log first. As was said before, most FTFers put "FTF" in their log. Also most cachers will log they got there too late if the log was not blank- even if the FTF has not yet logged on line (and might not ever).

Still, there has been a lot of talk about "cheating" lately so I wouldn't be too surprised if SOME PEOPLE would claim a FTF when they know darn well they weren't.

Reward or target list? I think the over-reaction displayed in some of these responses answers that question.

No matter what you actually say, or what the actual situation is, some people will completely ignore every detail mentioned besides 'ftf' and attack them for being hyper-competitive, ego-building ftf hogs, regardless of how carefully you explained the innocent situation of trying to spark interest in a very uncompetitive area full of first-timing newbs.

I guess it's just too touchy a subject right now. I'd advise against what you planned or your new cachers you recruited are apt to get even more turned off should an overzealous do-gooder be too quick to admonish them.

It seams here in my area there are 3 of us that literally compete for the new caches, so it is nice to have that posted who got FTF. Of all the ones that I have placed(16), the FTF on 15 of the is split between 2 cachers. I have seen one cache that was placed about 15 miles out, I was sitting at my computer when it was published, and just barely got there, it was maybe 20 min time elapsed between published and my finding it. I think it is worth writing down who got FTF, it makes this game a little more competitive! Rob