New - Pow/mia Dog Tag Geocoin

txoilgas

Ok this is my first rodeo involved in making a coin. So be easy with the rookie.

I have a passion for this coin subject. Most are very personal. The primary reason is that I have 99 shipmates that were lost at sea on 28 May 1968 onboard the USS Scorpion SSN-589. I had served on the Scorpion with over half of those that were lost.

The front side is meant to honor all those that have not come home. The back side is to honor the various services that they served in.

A very respected suggestion was to make this a personal coin, but I just can not make this one personal. I will have others later that will be more personal.

SO OK..... now what do you think. The coin is 2.25" long and thick. By the way the artwork is at the minter for graphic workup. Needless to say with all the artwork this will not be an inexpensive coin. But if no one likes it I will have a closet full of dogtags.

Montage%20-%202.jpg

:laughing: I like the design and would like a coin, depending on the final price. Please let us know when you have that nailed down so we can make our decisions. I also agree that there is a similar coin already out but I believe it is up to the collector whether or not they want to get this coin. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for more details.

I don't know how many you will be able to sell, but I think it's an attractive dogtag shaped coin. I am curious how much they will cost though, since they are 2" and with a bunch-o-colors (plus thicker than standard?). I'll be keeping an eye on this one.

The unfortunate thing is that you would really want these to be travellers, but you won't see that many if they are too expensive.

--Marky

This is the second POW "geocoin" and the third coin that I have seen with that design. While I support our POW's I'm not sure that you will have a great deal of success selling this coin being so similair. Just my opinion though.

You all are correct. The head profile and guard tower is the logo for the POW-MIA group and is displayed on anything that has to do with the POW-MIA cause. However, in my research, this is the only one that is in the shape of a Dog Tag. Those that are either missing or perished did not wear a coin, they wore a dog tag. That is the reasoning behind the shape.

Everyone in the service is, usually, very proud of their branch of service. That is why the colors are displayed instead of just raised metal.

There are a lot of coins that have the Groundspeak logo on them and they sell. It is not the logo that counts but what the logo is wrapped with or around. Yes this is expensive to build and will not be in everyone collection. But those that have one will have one that is truely, in my humble opinion, special.

thanks for your comments.

This is the second POW "geocoin" and the third coin that I have seen with that design. While I support our POW's I'm not sure that you will have a great deal of success selling this coin being so similair. Just my opinion though.

You all are correct. The head profile and guard tower is the logo for the POW-MIA group and is displayed on anything that has to do with the POW-MIA cause. However, in my research, this is the only one that is in the shape of a Dog Tag. Those that are either missing or perished did not wear a coin, they wore a dog tag. That is the reasoning behind the shape.

Everyone in the service is, usually, very proud of their branch of service. That is why the colors are displayed instead of just raised metal.

There are a lot of coins that have the Groundspeak logo on them and they sell. It is not the logo that counts but what the logo is wrapped with or around. Yes this is expensive to build and will not be in everyone collection. But those that have one will have one that is truely, in my humble opinion, special.

thanks for your comments.

Good points raised there. I'll keep an eye on your progress. :laughing:

:laughing: I really like this. I have one of the regular coins (coming to my mailbox soon I hope). I like the variety. This too is a special subject matter to me. I have not served in the forces, however my brother, a Marine served in Nam and he passed away Feb of this year. My son has a friend who I have adpoted like my own who has 5 weeks of boot camp left....he may be sent east. Many other cousins have served....all that to say, if a person collects service oriented things, this is a goody for sure. I agree..gee this may cost a gasp or two :) and I would still want one. Keep us posted.

Granted there are other POW/MIA coins out there, I would go for a couple of these, the detail is outstanding, Also there is nothing like a large heavy coin IMHO, even with the possibility of a higher price, the detail and colors would warrent the offset in cost. Having to try to be selective these days as what I buy SOO Many wonderfull coins being created... Question will there be a hole in the coin as a actual dog tag would have??? Great to attach a mission for the coin if set into the wild. My thoughts are that these will end up mostly in collections in fear of loss. rather then in cashes. "special" coins sometimes end up sadly muggled.

Will be watching this thread .. Glenn

Edited by glennk721

Granted there are other POW/MIA coins out there, I would go for a couple of these, the detail is outstanding, Also there is nothing like a large heavy coin IMHO, even with the possibility of a higher price, the detail and colors would warrent the offset in cost. Question will there be a hole in the coin as a actual dog tag would have??? Great to attach a mission for the coin if set into the wild. My thoughts are that these will end up mostly in collections in fear of loss. rather then in cashes. "special" coins sometimes end up sadly muggled.

Will be watching this thread .. Glenn

Yes there is a hole. The small circle on the edge is the hole. I cut off the graphic showing it was a hole. As an additional point. The logos are recessed in the ring of raised metal around them. That side will be epoxyed (sp?) so the colors will remain bright.

Is it too late to add the notch in the other end that dogtags of the era had?

You had me for a min. I thought I had made a mistake. Had to do some quick Google searching. Here is the history. The notched dog tag was used in WWII through 1964 from then on is like the one shown here. I got my dogtags in 1962 so they had the notch. Since this shape and the POW-MIA logo began during the Viet Nam era through today I think I will leave it as it is. It does represent all of those that have served.

No disrespect to those who served or who paid the ultimate sacrifice, but there is already a POW/MIA coin and this looks very similar....

This is true and I have alot of them, however I will buy a few of these coins I really like the dog tag idea and I think the coin looks great, who will be minting.

You had me for a min. I thought I had made a mistake. Had to do some quick Google searching. Here is the history. The notched dog tag was used in WWII through 1964 from then on is like the one shown here. I got my dogtags in 1962 so they had the notch. Since this shape and the POW-MIA logo began during the Viet Nam era through today I think I will leave it as it is. It does represent all of those that have served.

This got me thinking of a gruesome rumor about purpose of the notch in the dog tag. So I looked around.

From Snopes: One of the more common myths involves the reason for the notch on the tag issued between 1941 and the early 1970's. Battlefield rumor held that the notched end of the tag was placed between the front teeth of battlefield casualties to hold the jaws in place. No official record of American soldiers being issued these instructions exists; the only purpose of "the notch" was to hold the blank tag in place on the embossing machine. The machine used at this time doesn't require a notch to hold the blank in place, hence, today's tags are smooth on all sides.

This got me thinking of a gruesome rumor about purpose of the notch in the dog tag. So I looked around.

From Snopes: One of the more common myths involves the reason for the notch on the tag issued between 1941 and the early 1970's. Battlefield rumor held that the notched end of the tag was placed between the front teeth of battlefield casualties to hold the jaws in place. No official record of American soldiers being issued these instructions exists; the only purpose of "the notch" was to hold the blank tag in place on the embossing machine. The machine used at this time doesn't require a notch to hold the blank in place, hence, today's tags are smooth on all sides.

Thanks Eartha.

That was the rumor when I was in the service but it never made sence. Finally an answer 36 years later.

Edited by txoilgas

I have several of each of the previous POW/MIA coins, but would definitely want at least that many of this coin. I am one of multi generations of my family that made the military their career. My daughter has been wearing a MIA bracelet for almost 15 years now, her husband was career. Now my grandson, who is air crew on "Looking Glass" looks as if he will be putting in at least 20 as well. All that having been said, the coins not only mean something, they look great, too.

I emailed txoilgas a few weeks back and he said that he did not have the $$ to make them but was still planning on making the coin just had to come up the with $$. I hope they get made I would love a few sets. My POW/MIA coin gets the best logs and pics, it would be great to set a few of thses free.

TJ

Did these ever get made? :tired:

I was really looking forward to them. ;)

Working on a couple of plans to get them made. Due to the basic cost to produce this coin, which is significanitly higher than most coins, it does present a problem. However if these other plans work out these coins will be produced.

Thanks for watching. :blink:

That looks like a beautiful coin and a great design. I would definately want at least a couple of them. I have Vietnam and WWII veterans in my family and have a couple of friends that are Vietnam vets. Cost wise - could you reduce the number of colors and therefore the cost by using the same dark blue for all the emblems? Same thing for the reds and yellows/golds. It looks like there are subtle color differences in your artwork. The same blue, red, and yellow/gold for all emblems would probably be close enough. Just a suggestion.

I saw this thread earlier and I agree that there is another coin out there. This coin is awesome in my opinion and would like to have at least two of each. Unless the price is just outrageous, and I would would probably buy them anyway. I wish there was some way to unite geocacher's into a donation, but where would we send it? It is a part of our history we should never forget. Besides all that, the branch seals are awesome.

In the alternative, I would gladly buy in a series, one of each branch with a couple of icons and the seal on the back. I would think that 200 of each would not be hard to sell. Glen

quote name='kealia'

Not to cross threads, but isn't this more of a militray coin than a geocoin?

That is about the same as saying isnt your coin have more to do with dogs than geocaching... The military has been finding caches with GPS units way before geocaching came along. Thanks to the military caching and finding caches has been perfected by the military.

Time to get back to work and find more weapon caches in Baghdad :huh: ...

Edited by Cav Scout