Canadian Geopub Quiz

Couparangus

I owe, I owe,

so off to work I went.

Now I am back...

Ok this one is easy, it is a two part question.

This is the world's busiest highway and it is the world's widest thru lane highway.

Which highway is it?

How many thru-lanes wide is the highway?

My first guess would be HWY 401 and it is 3 lanes wide in each thru direction.

I owe, I owe,

so off to work I went.

Now I am back...

Ok this one is easy, it is a two part question.

This is the world's busiest highway and it is the world's widest thru lane highway.

Which highway is it?

How many thru-lanes wide is the highway?

My first guess would be HWY 401 and it is 3 lanes wide in each thru direction.

Highway 401 is the busiest highway in the world, it surpassed the New Jersey Turnpike in the 80's and the Santa Ana freeway in the 90's. On average, in some sections, the 401 handles as many as 500,000 vehicles per day.

Think the maximum number of through lanes on the 401.

I live near the 401 / Toronto and drive this highway on regular basis. It's much wider than 3 lanes on each side as you approach Toronto. Thru Mississauga we have lanes that'll line you up for either the 403 or the 427 ... near the airport . Each of those sections is 3 lanes so I'm gonna guess that the 401 at this widest section is [3 sections x 6 lanes each (both directions) is 18 lanes? And traffic still bottlenecks ... grrrr. Did I mention how crazy the traffic was?

Edited by ImaMystic

Nostalgia Time... I won't play this time since I've been in BC since 95... I remember the 12 lanes near

Avenue Rd. cause that is where I lived... I can guess that there is some latitude in the defn. of THRU... since all lanes go thru to somewhere... even the off ramps... I suspect it would be somewhere else since there really wasn't anywhere left to put lanes there... Of course there is lots more of 401 than in Toronto.

Good news is that there isn't ANY 401 in this part of BC... yaay!.

Going the other direction, I remember when 401 by Avenue Rd. was a dirt track leading over to the construction site for the unbuilt bridge over the Don... That was less than one lane...

Then two lanes, four, six , eight and then twelve... too many.

Too many hours sitting in traffic jams and too many radio chats with people who were commuting from opposite ends every day... I remember many going from Miss or Brampton to Oshawa and from Pickering to the West end... Never did figure out why some of them didn't MOVE... they could have simply swapped appartments with one another... go figure. I got smart and commuted for a while to Hamilton... only 45 minutes since I was always going opposite to the traffic at that time... 90 minimum to Don Mills at times.

Doug

More.

Everyone is low so far.

ImaMystic is getting close at 18 lanes but the 401 gets wider than that.

We are not talking collectors here, we are talking thru lanes.

Collectors and Express ... You can drive the collector lanes thru Toronto starting around Weston Road and follow them across the city. These aren't on / off ramps but are they thru lanes. I'm confused now. That's probably the next widest section through the GTA.

Can we use google earth to navigate the highway virtually or would that be cheating? I could plop my golden drop in guy on the highway and make him count! Anyways... Juicepig's right it's all just a parking lot! B)

Ok .... checked earlier posts and see that Googling is "cheating". My next wily idea is to guess. I thought 18 lanes, Juicepig 24 ... how about 1/2 way at 22 lanes. B)

22 it is.

At the widest intersection there are 22 lanes of Highway 401 that allow you to go thru which increases to 26 when you take into account the restricted lanes.

The 401 is 26 lanes at the widest as is the Katy Freeway in Houston, Texas but the Katy Freeway (part of Interstate 10) is divided into General Use, Frontage and HOV lanes.

So now you know, the worlds busiest, widest highway is in Canada.

So now you know, the worlds busiest, widest highway is in Canada.

Sadly I do know ... I've often cursed every lane ...all 26 including the restricted ones many many times. B)

I am with you on that one Mystic! When I have to come to Toronto for a meeting, I take the train!!! So much less stressful and less swearing involved :mad:

Manila

Edit: I am wrong again but if you read Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicon there is one chapter where Bobby Shaftoe describes to his son how a staircase in Manila was made. Every galleon that arrived carried long square granite blocks for ballast. When the ships dropped the ballast the blocks were used to build a set of steps and the staircase was eventually completed. This story has nothing to do with the "Golden Staircase", absolutely nothing.

Cryptonomicon is a really good book though!

Edited by wavector

Kansas! or is that the yellow brick road :laughing:

Alaska, The trail to the Klondike.

Lorne

There is probably more than one out there but cartopper nailed it. 1000 vertical feet in 1/2 mile the Golden Staircase is just on the Alaska side of the Chilkoot Trail. Too steep for horses miners had to haul their gear to the top piecemeal. Waiting at the top were mounties to ensure every miner crossing had his one ton of supplies. Excellent hike when you only have to do it once. We hiked mid week and had to hike out instead of taking the train. Now the train can take you from Carcross to Skagway with plans to extend it right to Whitehorse.

Edited by bobbarley

Wow, I totally missed this question,

I did the Chilkoot trail in 1984, an adventure that took us from Skagway to Dawson, hikied the trail in 4 days only because We had a platoon of Army cadets, then did the waterways in zodiacs all the way to Dawson.

A truly amazing adventure, with bears, eagles ,salmon and moose and the occasional human checking up on us

you know we can't use internet searches for this eh?

yup but does that include Google earth?

would you be using google earth as part of the question? For example: using google earth .... go find.

or would you be using google earth as the tool to find the answer?

I think there's a distinction ... the OP cleary states don't google the answer.

Kingston?

nope!

okay... I don't want to guess Toronto. I would imagine that it is somewhere along the explorer route that leads up north... how about Mattawa?

I was there last summer camping and loved the history, the canoe routes of the explorers, all of that. I did a crazy thing... we innertubed through rapids (not on purpose!) that we later found out was a portage area... needless to say I did not go through them again! lol

Edited by brendah
Kingston?

nope!

okay... I don't want to guess Toronto. I would imagine that it is somewhere along the explorer route that leads up north... how about Mattawa?

I was there last summer camping and loved the history, the canoe routes of the explorers, all of that. I did a crazy thing... we innertubed through rapids (not on purpose!) that we later found out was a portage area... needless to say I did not go through them again! lol

I just realized that this was a bad guess :laughing: considering that the area around Mattawa is very French.

My guesses were to follow historical trade routes so

York ... taken

Mattawa ... (it is nice there Brendah!) We have family there and it's been around since 1600's ... taken

so I'm going to guess farther north keeping in mind the fur trade history

and seeing how Juicepig is heading north this August ... I'm going to guess

Cochrane or Moosenee.