Canadian Geopub Quiz

Couparangus

Since Christmas is just around the corner,

How Old is Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer?

How old are the othe 8 reindeer?

How was Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer introduced?

Lets try to guess within 5 years

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night :)

If I remember correctly, Rudolph the Reindeer is about 80 years old, being created as a song in the 1930's. The other reindeer are considerably older, and from the German Tradition, but I don't know how old they are really.

So.

1. 80 years

2. 200+ years

3. By song.

Adamsloco

PS. It's not Donner and Blitzen. It is actually Donder and Blitzem, which in the old German was Thunder and Lightning.

A.

Edited by adamsloco

Very Good Adamsloco

Santa's 8 reindeer had their official debut in an 1823 poem A Visit from St. Nicholas

Rudolph is about 116 years younger than the other 8 reindeer.

Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer was introduced in 1939 as part of a holiday advertising program for Montgomery Ward and was written by Robert L. May

So as of 2009, Rudolph has been a part of the Santa story for 70 years.

Aaah, but what was so eloquently pointed out at the last CREW geo-event in Waterloo, Ont. on Tuesday, is that there are actually ten reindeer... the usual 9 suspects, and also "Olive, the Other Reindeer"....

Yes, I forgot about Olive. He was a song addition as well.

:blink:

So, was my answer close enough than? I mean i was off by a decade for the age of Rudolph.

A

Edited by adamsloco

Thank you, NWOBear.

Recently, Lord Mount Stephen was in the news in Montreal because his former company shipped him to Calgary. He was very important in the creation of his former company, and it was his ability with financing that allowed an important event -- both to his company and to Canada -- to take place. The location of that event is now named for his birthplace.

Name the Company

Name the Event

Name the Location

Good luck

Adamsloco

Stephen was born in Dufftown - but his ancestral home was Craigellachie (according to Wikipedia)

Right on all counts.

Hmmm. I work for Canadian Pacific, and our intranet history site (I double checked to make sure I was remembering right before I posted) said that he was born in Craigellachie. I should have known better that to trust CP!

All your Frinklabs!

Adamsloco

Because all the xmas songs have him in a red suit! ;) Would be tough to have him a pink one.

Interesting question, because THE Quintessential (and, I believe, first) North American descrtiption of Santa describes him as "dressed all in fur, from his head to his foot". With no mention of colour. Further, his clothes are described as "all tarnished with ashes and soot" -- suggesting that the colour was not visible under the layer of grime.

Adamsloco

He didn't start wearing red until the early 20th century

Coca Cola portrayed Santa wearing red in an advertising campaign. Or, maybe it's so that it matches Rudolph's nose.

Serious:

I've been bored, and started researching.

The earliest Red Santa I've been able to find is 1869. See this Saint Nickolas History Page Very interesting reading all round.

Joking:

Well, Santa is an anagram of Satan, and Stan is ALWAYS wearing red, so ...

Adamsloco

He didn't start wearing red until the early 20th century

Coca Cola portrayed Santa wearing red in an advertising campaign. Or, maybe it's so that it matches Rudolph's nose.

Coke was the answer I was looking for. Could be an urban myth but it is the answer I wanted.

Over to you Kate.

A multi with a Christmas theme:

What bi-national organization tracks Santa's route on Christmas Eve?

When did they start tracking Santa?

Why did they start tracking Santa?

How does Rudolph help with the tracking?

Bonus Q: What is the difference between Santa's weight at the begninning and at the end of his journey?

#1 NORAD

#2 1955 54 years

#3 The tradition began in 1955 after a Colorado Springs-based Sears Roebuck & Co. advertisement for children to call Santa misprinted the telephone number. Instead of reaching Santa, the phone number put kids through to the CONAD Commander-in-Chief's operations "hotline." The Director of Operations at the time, Colonel Harry Shoup, had his staff check the radar for indications of Santa making his way south from the North Pole. Children who called were given updates on his location, and a tradition was born.

In 1958, the governments of Canada and the United States created a bi-national air defense command for North America called the North American Aerospace Defense Command, also known as NORAD, which then took on the tradition of tracking Santa.

#4 Rudolph's nose gives off an infrared signiture caused by the frition of high speed travel, which the satellites can pick up.

Bonus

#1 NORAD

#2 1955 54 years

#3 The tradition began in 1955 after a Colorado Springs-based Sears Roebuck & Co. advertisement for children to call Santa misprinted the telephone number. Instead of reaching Santa, the phone number put kids through to the CONAD Commander-in-Chief's operations "hotline." The Director of Operations at the time, Colonel Harry Shoup, had his staff check the radar for indications of Santa making his way south from the North Pole. Children who called were given updates on his location, and a tradition was born.

In 1958, the governments of Canada and the United States created a bi-national air defense command for North America called the North American Aerospace Defense Command, also known as NORAD, which then took on the tradition of tracking Santa.

#4 Rudolph's nose gives off an infrared signiture caused by the frition of high speed travel, which the satellites can pick up.

Bonus

We have a winner :D

My daughters enjoy watching the reports on Santa's location come in over the course of Christmas Eve at

www.noradsanta.org .

1. candle

2. rudolph

3. christmas

4. santa

5. candy cane

6. present

7. stocking (cheated - sorry)

8, reindeer

Way to go doingitoldschool

You may ask the next question

O the pressure! Okay - Fractured Christmas carols coming up. Name the real carol behind the new name.

1. Approach everyone who is steadfast.

2. Ecstasy toward the orb.

3. Listen! The Foretelling spirits harmonize.

4. Hey, Minuscule urban area southeast of Jerusalem.

5. Quiescent Nocturnal period.

6. The Autocrat troika originating near the ascent of Apollo.

7. The primary carol.

8. Embellish the corridors.

9. I'm fantasizing concerning a blanched yuletide.

10. I apprehended my maternal parent osculating with a corpulent unshaven male in crimson disguise.

11. During the time ovine caretakers supervised their charges past midnight.

12. The thing manifests itself at the onset of a transparent day.

13. The coniferous nativity.

14. What offspring abides thus?

15. Removed in a bovine feeding trough.

16. Creator, cool it, you kooky cats!

17. Valentino, the roseate proboscises wapiti.

18. The slight percussionist lad.

19. Father Christmas approaches the metropolis.

20. Seraphim we aurally detected in the stratosphere.

21. The tatterdemalion ebony atmosphere.

hamgran

Lots of fun figuring this out! I got 'em all but #21, which I ended up googling (which disqualifies me)... great puzzle!

Since the question was googled I would think that it would be ok to google a few of the answers. I too found this one fun but needed help on a couple. Hamgran I would just post what you have a let doingitoldschool decide if he wants to accept

OK, here goes...

1) Oh, Come, All Ye Faithful

2) Joy to the World

3) Hark! The Herald Angels Sing

4) Oh Little Town of Bethlehem

5) Silent Night

6) We Three Kings of Orient Are

7) The First Noel

8) Deck the Halls

9) I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

10) I saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus

11) While Shepherds Watch their Flocks at Night

12) It Came Upon a Midnight Clear

13) Oh Christmas Tree

14) What Child is This

15) Away in a Manger

16) God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen

17) Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer

18) The Little Drummer Boy

19) Santa Claus is Coming to Town

20) Angels We Have Heard on High

21) Oh Holy Night (I had to google the meaning of "tatterdemalion" for this one...) :D

Yeah, but I seem to remember that one of the original rules of the game was "no googling for the answers".

OK, it’s time to dig out your old vinyl, cassette tape, or 8-track…

What’s the cousin’s name in “Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer”? (I heard he geocaches, when he’s not playing cards with Grandpa!).

Yeah, but I seem to remember that one of the original rules of the game was "no googling for the answers".

What’s the cousin’s name in “Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer”? (I heard he geocaches, when he’s not playing cards with Grandpa!).

And we're all so proud of Grandpa

He's been taking this so well.

See him in there watching football,

drinking beer and playing cards with Cousin Mel.

My kids Looooovvvvve that song. Go figure.

Adamsloco

Hey Cousin Mel was in the way

Who wrote a Christmas Carol in the 1600's here in Canada? What is the name of the song?

Adamsloco

We wish you a mary Christmas....no no no snow bird/Ann Murray.no she is not old. Oh, she used to sing this song on her christmas special live on the shores of Lake Huron. only had one t.v. station in ontario and she did the concert like every year with native canadians but i i dont know the name.it is from this area but i cant remember why.The Lyrics in excelsis glorrrrria or something like that hum my god someone better get this.i am going to ask my wife and sisters.

1600s huron? guessing Jean de Brebuef.

never heard of the song though, as for the bonus i know Huron is Wyendot, carol/song = I have no clue!

Yes, the Huron Carol, written by Saint Jean de Brebuef.

Well, doingitoldschool got half, and Juicepig got half, so I guess they can decide between them who goes next.

And, for the record, the song was called Iesus Ahotonnia in the native Huron.

Adamsloco

Hi there.. I sat that one out since I was missing one more than you were... but not the one you did...

I know you remember correctly about the 'rules'... others review post ONE.

As for Googling... I take that to imply no use of a search engine to hunt... manual online research MAY be allowed... snce most people don't have vast libraries and other media to play around with... Just need to de automate when it comes to searching... JUST AN OPINION.

One down side to using Google for the research on Cryptic Carols... I did of course do that... Got several sites that had many of these... including one that seemed to have some randomly scattered text wise mixing a few together... what you got as Three kings, they had as Sleigh Bells... but the clues didn't work at all.

Another WARNING... one of the sites I hit, set off all my anti virus alerts be warned, I don't know if it was something it thought it recognized or not (perhaps a runtime or popup)... I didn't wait... disconnected fast and scanned... Nothing seems to have got here... hope no one else has a problem... it was about the 3rd in the results searched as above..

Have a good holiday all... it was -30 here last night... balmy -15 today.

Doug

Which Ontario lake contains 3 extinct volcanoes?

My guess would be the Lake Science North sits on. Ramsey, I think it is called.

Sudbury region being seismically active in the distance past, seems like a possible candidate. And I seem to remember that there was some reason Science North was built where it is, I think that might have been it.

Adamsloco